News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

New Jersey Turnpike

Started by hotdogPi, December 22, 2013, 09:04:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

Quote from: NJRoadfan on October 19, 2019, 10:42:50 PM
The sign in question was on the inner roadway: https://goo.gl/maps/wZgxfMakQnzyp8tS9
I'm pretty sure it's gone as of last time I was in the inners.

storm2k

Quote from: Alps on October 20, 2019, 11:14:51 PM
The sign in question was on the inner roadway: https://goo.gl/maps/wZgxfMakQnzyp8tS9

It is defintely gone. You can see it is gone in the update gsv.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: storm2k on October 21, 2019, 07:45:13 PM

https://goo.gl/maps/eqQSMYAJ7od6CYwY8

No guarantees this link will appear the way I see it, but if you look carefully just inside of the guardrail, you'll see the old concrete block one of the posts of the former sign was attached to.  For a better reference, take the GSV back to a previous driveby, which I think 2013 will show up.  You'll also notice the reflector is now missing from the L bracket on the overpass...but no one cares about that!  :-P

roadman65

Quote from: storm2k on October 21, 2019, 07:45:13 PM

I find it interesting that a Ford Dealer sign is being transported by a semi in the outer roadway in GSV.

Yes, that sign is gone, just as the old neo classical gantry at Exit 6 now.  Well it was out of date and with I-195 now its somewhat shorter in distance to the capital.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

jeffandnicole

Tolls on the NJ Turnpike & Parkway will remain the same thru 2020 (piss on that, PTC).

https://www.nj.com/traffic/2019/10/no-toll-hike-on-the-parkway-or-turnpike-in-2020-you-can-thank-extra-traffic-for-that.html

Higher than forecasted traffic and lower than expected construction costs over the past 10 years are the main contributors to keeping tolls steady.  The downside is that when a hike is necessary, it'll probably be a relatively massive hike. 

Of the upcoming projects mentioned, one includes replacing the old "drum" signs seen from Interchanges 9 and North with the Hybrid VMS signage seen on the mainline and ramps from Interchange 5 - 8A.

For other enjoyable reading material, the NJTA published a 2020-2029 Strategic Plan on their website:  https://www.njta.com/media/4824/njta-stratplan_public-v28b.pdf .

While nothing very specific is mentioned, it refers to various improvements, increases and decreases in terms of traffic, incidents and maintenance and other measurable criteria and qualities.  And, unlike other cities and agencies with their unrealistic "Zero Fatalities" missions, the NJTA keeps it real, hoping for a 5% reduction in facilities by 2029.

There's also many interesting aerial pictures throughout the report.  One of the first pictures is so very New Jerseyistic - a beautiful picture of the Turnpike near Interchange 9 with what appears to be a forest of trees surrounding the roadway, with countless high tension power poles and lines along the horizon!

Mergingtraffic

I'm guessing this is gone now too?  I remember it hanging on for quite awhile after the sign replacements came through.
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

Alps

I believe at least one of the I-78 speed limit signs is still there.

lepidopteran

Quote from: roadman65 on October 19, 2019, 10:15:48 PM
Those signs were usually posted every 10 miles on the tenth mile.  Going NB it would be interesting to see New York at 100 miles and then at 90 miles, followed by 80 etc, etc, etc.

Now even though the 3 point signs are good for travelers it is kind of a sad thing that the old nostalgia is gone.  That Trenton 30 miles was there as long as I could remember.  It was a shame that it did not have another with it on the inner roadway for car traffic going SB.
As a kid, I remember when the NB signs were there for New York, but it was one of those things I never paid much attention to... UNTIL I noticed a New York 90 Miles sign on one of the rare occasions that we were south of Exit 6.  I remember thinking, wow that's far!

But many years later, I also remember a different series of "New York nn Miles" signs starting at 110.  Unlike the originals, which were smaller and low to the ground like that Trenton sign, these were higher up and somewhat larger.  They also had an unusual font.  I think they disappeared around the year 2000, give or take.

ixnay

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on October 22, 2019, 03:32:51 PM
I'm guessing this is gone now too?  I remember it hanging on for quite awhile after the sign replacements came through.

I like the e.e. cummings style disclaimer on the bottom.  Was that sign there when the extension opened in c. 1956?

ixnay

roadman65

The NJ Turnpike always had a variety of signs that caused me to take attention.   South of Exit 4 along the four lane part had all ground signs until 1980 circa when the current overheads were added to Exits 3 and 2 as well as the reflective 2 and 1 mile advance guides. 

In the days of old there were no route numbers and control destinations on the 2 mile out signs, but instead it would say the Exit number 2 MI and then the distance to the following.  Going NB there was an unusual sign for Exit 2 that gave information to the Cape May County Resorts which I found odd because if anyone from DE was going there it would be in their best interest to use either Route 49 or Route 40 already.

The Exit 6 going NB always struck me odd that no overheads were used there considering all the other exits north of Exit 4 had them.  All ground mounts were used (probably up to the 6-9 widening I would guess) for Exit 6 that even had the exit number on the bottom with the sign edge rounded around the number.

Then Exit 15E on the Eastern Spur for the longest time never had a normal guide  going SB until the recent MUTCD push to have their signs over the classic turnpike signs throughout the system.  Even Route 495 finally is acknowledged after many years not being signed at all for 16E, which is a welcome change.

Sheryl Crowe

SignBridge

I have never understood the reason for Rt. 495's existence there. Didn't NJ-3 originally extend all the way east to the Lincoln Tunnel back in the day, on what is now Rt. 495?

storm2k

Quote from: SignBridge on October 23, 2019, 09:40:30 PM
I have never understood the reason for Rt. 495's existence there. Didn't NJ-3 originally extend all the way east to the Lincoln Tunnel back in the day, on what is now Rt. 495?

Was supposed to be Interstate 495, go thru the Lincoln Tunnel, across the Mid Manhattan Expressway and thru the Queens Midtown Tunnel onto the LIE where it is today. Once the MidMex was cancelled and NY truncated I-495 to Queens, NJ's I-495 downgraded to NJ-495 instead.

SignBridge

New Jersey should have just changed it back to the original NJ-3 to keep it simple. That 495 designation is no longer needed and it just adds confusion to the picture.

Alps

Quote from: SignBridge on October 23, 2019, 09:40:30 PM
Actually, it originally came down Paterson Plank Road. What's now 495 was only numbered as 3 from 1953 to 1959, when it became I-495. The Interstate designation stayed into the 1970s until it was downgraded, by which point NJ 3 had ended at US 1/9 for over a dozen years, so the easiest solution was to keep every route where it was.

Alps

Quote from: SignBridge on October 23, 2019, 10:11:00 PM
New Jersey should have just changed it back to the original NJ-3 to keep it simple. That 495 designation is no longer needed and it just adds confusion to the picture.
Who is confused by this? If you really don't know the area, just stay on 3 EB freeway and it magically turns into 495 and you just go straight into the tunnel. Heading west, even if you don't know you're on 495, there are constant "TO NJTP/1/9/3" signs and you will find your way.

roadman65

Quote from: SignBridge on October 23, 2019, 10:11:00 PM
People may not know that it is Route 495, but the tunnel is signed well and the freeways are easily connected to each other.  If you follow Route 3 east you have a major exit ramp from the left that reads Lincoln Tunnel. Going to that will not be hard to miss.

The split at NJ 3 and I-95 is pretty much equal (in fact I think 3 lanes exit NJ 495 there and two lanes are through) so it would cause many to look at the signs.  Plus I think NJDOT added GSP shields too to help folks from the tunnel find the Parkway as well.

Also the latest GSV shows that NJDOT added NJ 495 to the Pulaski Skyway ramp for Tonnele Avenue as well to help use that designation for shunpikers into the city.

Sheryl Crowe

SignBridge

You guys are right as far as the area being well signed and the history of the routes. I just figure that less route numbers is simpler for drivers to read easily than more route numbers. Keeping the sign messages brief with fewer route shields would be a plus.

roadman65

I agree one number plus an overlap with US 46 to I-80 in Wayne would make travel to the Lincoln Tunnel from points west on I-80 better as you do have to exit at Exit 53, then east on US 46, to NJ 3 East, to finally NJ 495 east.   

However, its done and to change it would cause a lot of trouble to do.  Yes, that cancelled Manhattan expressway project caused this, but I am sure PennDOT is saying the same when NJDOT cancelled the Somerset Freeway Project as well as now they had to renumber their part of I-95 from the PA Turnpike into NJ as I-295.  If we built the road as planned there would be no need for a change there of course.

Sheryl Crowe

bluecountry

OK so the sign that says 'Philadelphia 51 miles'
is right after exit 8A on milepost 81 I believe.
Finally!

Related questions:

1) Since the 95 gap was filled, and exit 4 no longer says 'Philadelphia', has traffic gone down on that road?
2) How come I-295 was never connected to I-95 (formerly I-276) in NJ mid state?

jeffandnicole

Quote from: bluecountry on October 26, 2019, 11:34:09 AM
OK so the sign that says 'Philadelphia 51 miles'
is right after exit 8A on milepost 81 I believe.
Finally!

Related questions:

1) Since the 95 gap was filled, and exit 4 no longer says 'Philadelphia', has traffic gone down on that road?

I haven't seen much of a difference. The Turnpike southbound approaching Exit 4 still congests on busy days and weekends, and I've seen heavy congestion between 1 and 4 also.  95 in Delaware still congests Northbound heading onto 295 North as well. Traffic volumes are up all over, so it's probably a matter of it could be worse.

If you're asking if NJ 73 (Exit 4) has seen less traffic, not at all from my observations.

2) How come I-295 was never connected to I-95 (formerly I-276) in NJ mid state?

My guess: Lack of a need or desire with NJDOT, NJTA or both. And insufficient room between 295 and the mainline Turnpike.  There would have been less than 1 mile between interchanges, making it the most closely spaced interchanges on the entire system.

ixnay

On maps, I've never seen the NJ portion of the PATP/NJTP connector signed as I-276, nor have I ever been on it (other than "riding" with roadwaywiz on YT).  Was it ever signed as I-276 other than on the countdown signs for exit 6?  I never noticed in roadwaywiz's video whether it was.  If not, any theories why not besides the usual suspect(s)?

ixnay

bzakharin

Quote from: ixnay on October 26, 2019, 08:38:48 PM
On maps, I've never seen the NJ portion of the PATP/NJTP connector signed as I-276, nor have I ever been on it (other than "riding" with roadwaywiz on YT).  Was it ever signed as I-276 other than on the countdown signs for exit 6?  I never noticed in roadwaywiz's video whether it was.  If not, any theories why not besides the usual suspect(s)?

ixnay
It was never officially I-276. It was implied by the signs, though before the I-95 part was uncovered:
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.1120126,-74.7152741,3a,75y,234.51h,78.22t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sRc4xxMMFw-l5G5GJlMTylA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656 and the older signs had I-276 and US 130 shields making it a bit more ambiguous (https://www.google.com/maps/@40.1155729,-74.7110256,3a,75y,218.9h,95.63t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sulMvT7S52OcjBHSmCNP0Yw!2e0!5s20080101T000000!7i3328!8i1664). As for why not, I'm not sure, it seems like the NJTA didn't (and still doesn't) really care about having Interstate designations on their roadways.

Beltway

Quote from: bzakharin on October 26, 2019, 11:08:30 PM
It was never officially I-276. It was implied by the signs, though before the I-95 part was uncovered:
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.1120126,-74.7152741,3a,75y,234.51h,78.22t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sRc4xxMMFw-l5G5GJlMTylA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656 and the older signs had I-276 and US 130 shields as well.
That is somewhat confusing, as they are signing their connector as "I-276" and "Penn Turnpike."

They really can't call the part in N.J. as the "Penn Turnpike."
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Beltway on October 26, 2019, 11:18:42 PM
Quote from: bzakharin on October 26, 2019, 11:08:30 PM
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.1120126,-74.7152741,3a,75y,234.51h,78.22t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sRc4xxMMFw-l5G5GJlMTylA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656 and the older signs had I-276 and US 130 shields as well.
That is somewhat confusing, as they are signing their connector as "I-276" and "Penn Turnpike."

They really can't call the part in N.J. as the "Penn Turnpike."

Well, that was a modified sign due to PTC not completing their project on time. Guess they could've shown the TO on that sign to make it technically correct, but I doubt anyone was actually confused by it.

It's shown as intended now.

roadman65

There are a lot of cases a road leads to another that is signed as.  I-276 from the NJ Turnpike is not the only as Exits 105 and 117 on The Parkway were both signed for NJ 35 and NJ 36 without TO signs and it never confused anyone especially being the connector from 117 and the Eatontown Spur are both really elongated exit ramps.

However, now they did modify both exit signs as technically NJ 36 at 105 ends now at the Parkway.  In fact  going NB the NJ 35 shield was removed in favor of NJ 18, when 105 was changed to connect directly to the freeway going NB.  In addition cardinal directions have since been added to them as both interchanges are terminuses for Route 36 now.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.