News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

US 33 Upgrades in Ohio

Started by Buck87, March 25, 2015, 11:36:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: GCrites80s on September 22, 2021, 09:06:42 PM
Was in Nelsonville Monday and the Distracted Driving and Speeding Enforcement Corridor signs are still in force on 33 from Nelsonville to 17 miles to the east of there.

How far south of Athens?
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

GCrites

I didn't see the end. There was a sign at Nelsonville saying the Corridor was for the next 17 miles.

Buck87

Saw the Pickerington Rd interchange on the TRAC draft listed at $47M for construction in 2025

Project page says construction begins in Summer 2024 and ends Fall 2026:
https://www.transportation.ohio.gov/projects/projects/77555

TempoNick

I didn't want to start a new thread, but it looks like US 33 is going to get four laned from Athens to the Ohio River.

https://www.wtap.com/2023/04/03/us-33-widening-included-ohio-transportation-budget/?outputType=amp

Edit: Looks like they've only approved engineering work so far. The article is an error. Fake news.

The Ghostbuster

There are already a few grade-separations and jug-handle ramps along the two-lane portions of US 33 between Athens and the West Virginia State Line. I suppose four-laning the corridor wouldn't be as huge of an undertaking as building a four-lane highway from scratch would be.

Bitmapped

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on April 04, 2023, 06:58:14 PM
There are already a few grade-separations and jug-handle ramps along the two-lane portions of US 33 between Athens and the West Virginia State Line. I suppose four-laning the corridor wouldn't be as huge of an undertaking as building a four-lane highway from scratch would be.

It was built with the intent of allowing 4-lane widening in the future. 4-lane ROW was acquired and I think at least some grading was done. The project wasn't built as four lanes originally to save money and because traffic counts didn't justify it. (They still don't, especially east of Pomeroy.)

Buck87

Quote from: TempoNick on April 03, 2023, 06:28:54 PM
I didn't want to start a new thread...

That's fine, this thread can be the catch all for any US 33 upgrades in Ohio. The main reason I focused on the Columbus to Lancaster portion originally was because I started this thread in the Midwest-Great Lakes forum long before the merge with Ohio Valley. I think I'll change the title now.

Quote from: TempoNick on April 03, 2023, 06:28:54 PM
...but it looks like US 33 is going to get four laned from Athens to the Ohio River.

https://www.wtap.com/2023/04/03/us-33-widening-included-ohio-transportation-budget/?outputType=amp

Edit: Looks like they've only approved engineering work so far. The article is an error. Fake news.

If they ever do extend the 4 laning, I hope the do the Athens to Darwin section first. That way all the county seats along the southeast US 33 corridor would have a 4 lane connection all the way to Columbus.

TempoNick

What happens when they get to the river? I wonder if a bridge replacement is in the offing.

Bitmapped

Quote from: TempoNick on April 05, 2023, 01:55:43 PM
What happens when they get to the river? I wonder if a bridge replacement is in the offing.

LOL, no. West Virginia owns the bridge and they have zero plans to twin or replace it. It's not warranted.

TempoNick

Quote from: Bitmapped on April 05, 2023, 08:26:11 PM

LOL, no. West Virginia owns the bridge and they have zero plans to twin or replace it. It's not warranted.

If four-laning US 33 is warranted, a new bridge is also wanted. It doesn't make sense for there to be a bottleneck at the bridge when everything else is going to be four lanes. And hopefully they'll get rid of that stupid curve you have to follow to get to West Virginia Route 2 and then back on US-33.

Remember, West Virginia pushed more for that road than Ohio did. That was supposed to be the quickest connection between Charleston, West Virginia and Columbus, Ohio. Yes, US 35 is an alternate, but US 33 is the better way, IMO.

The Ghostbuster

The Ravenswood Bridge has only existed since 1981. Unless it collapses into the Ohio River, it should have plenty of life left. In a few decades, when it does need to be replaced, the new bridge should have wider shoulders.

Bitmapped

Quote from: TempoNick on April 05, 2023, 09:33:17 PM
Quote from: Bitmapped on April 05, 2023, 08:26:11 PM

If four-laning US 33 is warranted, a new bridge is also wanted. It doesn't make sense for there to be a bottleneck at the bridge when everything else is going to be four lanes. And hopefully they'll get rid of that stupid curve you have to follow to get to West Virginia Route 2 and then back on US-33.

Remember, West Virginia pushed more for that road than Ohio did. That was supposed to be the quickest connection between Charleston, West Virginia and Columbus, Ohio. Yes, US 35 is an alternate, but US 33 is the better way, IMO.

Building the new US 33 was part of Ohio's corridor completion plans since the 1970s. West Virginia benefited from replacing the existing US 33 in West Virginia, but it already contributed its part of this corridor when it built the Ravenswood Bridge and connection to I-77 forty years ago.

Four-laning US 33 isn't really warranted at 5000 vehicles per day. WVDOH isn't going to build a new bridge here for that sort of traffic count when it has several two-lane Ohio River bridges with traffic counts more than double that. If Ohio wants to pay for twinning the bridge or building a direct access to the four-lane part of US 33, I'm sure West Virginia would be open to discussing it but West Virginia has a lot more useful projects to fund on its own.

TempoNick

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on April 05, 2023, 09:37:04 PM
The Ravenswood Bridge has only existed since 1981. Unless it collapses into the Ohio River, it should have plenty of life left. In a few decades, when it does need to be replaced, the new bridge should have wider shoulders.

You can always build two more lanes right next to it.

Rothman

A few decades?  Bridges of that era will need major work at the minimum in the 2030s.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

TempoNick

Quote from: Bitmapped on April 05, 2023, 10:08:30 PM

Four-laning US 33 isn't really warranted at 5000 vehicles per day.

It's an important enough route that four-laning it isn't the worst thing in the world. It's a better route for most of Columbus to I-77 than US-35, unless you live on the south side. If you live in north or east Columbus, you can just get on I-70 and drive down to US-33. There are just too many obstacles to get to US-35.

seicer

Quote from: Rothman on April 06, 2023, 07:06:54 AM
A few decades?  Bridges of that era will need major work at the minimum in the 2030s.

Maybe rehabilitation around the 2040s. Then again, a 1960s-era truss is in worse condition structurally than its partner 1930s-era truss near Evansville, IN, with the older truss set to receive structural work to make the bridge last into the 2150s!

Black-Man

That bridge is the definition of everything wrong w/ competing state highway priorities. Until the Super-2 US33 was constructed this bridge was massively underutilized for close to 25 years. On the Ohio side it was literally connected to a county road which wound its way along the river at some points meandering towards Racine and eventually Pomeroy. It even predated the Ravenswood connector.

So, given its bizarre origins, it's no wonder it just dumps itself onto what was a Ravenswood street - 33 went a different direction out of Ripley. At the very least, WV should put in a light at the terminus.

Bitmapped

Quote from: Black-Man on April 11, 2023, 10:26:07 PM
That bridge is the definition of everything wrong w/ competing state highway priorities. Until the Super-2 US33 was constructed this bridge was massively underutilized for close to 25 years. On the Ohio side it was literally connected to a county road which wound its way along the river at some points meandering towards Racine and eventually Pomeroy. It even predated the Ravenswood connector.
The Ohio side connected to SR 338.

So, given its bizarre origins, it's no wonder it just dumps itself onto what was a Ravenswood street - 33 went a different direction out of Ripley. At the very least, WV should put in a light at the terminus.

The West Virginia side was WV 2 when the bridge was being planned. It is now WV 68.

TempoNick

Quote from: Bitmapped on April 12, 2023, 01:55:07 PM

The West Virginia side was WV 2 when the bridge was being planned. It is now WV 68.

I'm thinking it's one of those Breezewood, PA situations now. You have no other reason to go into that town unless you're forced to go there. Then you might pick up something at the Wendy's a little north of there.

Black-Man

Technically correct, however this road ran along the river and you would be back-tracking to Racine versus cutting across the bend in the river on a road which might have been designated a state highway but in reality was more of a local county road. It was bad. The 4-lane section from Pomeroy to Darwin was actually complete at this time.
Wikipedia says the West Virginia side was actually WV 824 - not WV 2.

Dirt Roads

Quote from: Black-Man on April 28, 2023, 09:00:03 PM
Technically correct, however this road ran along the river and you would be back-tracking to Racine versus cutting across the bend in the river on a road which might have been designated a state highway but in reality was more of a local county road. It was bad. The 4-lane section from Pomeroy to Darwin was actually complete at this time.

I think you've both got these backwards.  The Ohio side was SR-814 and the West Virginia side was WV-338 prior to the rerouting of US-33.  And the Ravenswood Bridge never actually connected to WV-2; that was rerouted onto (previously) WV-56 a few years before completion of the bridge, which then connected to WV-68 (formerly WV-2).

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: Dirt Roads on April 28, 2023, 09:33:23 PM

I think you've both got these backwards.  The Ohio side was SR-814 and the West Virginia side was WV-338 prior to the rerouting of US-33.  And the Ravenswood Bridge never actually connected to WV-2; that was rerouted onto (previously) WV-56 a few years before completion of the bridge, which then connected to WV-68 (formerly WV-2).

According to ODOT's public documents (i.e. 1982 roadmap), Bitmapped is correct. 338 for Ohio, 2 for WV.
https://www.dot.state.oh.us/maps/archivedmaps/1982.pdf
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Dirt Roads

Quote from: Dirt Roads on April 28, 2023, 09:33:23 PM
I think you've both got these backwards.  The Ohio side was SR-824 and the West Virginia side was WV-338 prior to the rerouting of US-33.  And the Ravenswood Bridge never actually connected to WV-2; that was rerouted onto (previously) WV-56 a few years before completion of the bridge, which then connected to WV-68 (formerly WV-2).

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on April 28, 2023, 09:52:39 PM
According to ODOT's public documents (i.e. 1982 roadmap), Bitmapped is correct. 338 for Ohio, 2 for WV.
https://www.dot.state.oh.us/maps/archivedmaps/1982.pdf

It is reasonable to say that the Ravenswood Bridge connected to SR-338 on the Ohio side, since the western approach to the bridge was SR-824.  On the West Virginia side, the eastern approach was WV-338 and you had to turn south onto WV-68 (former WV-2) to get over to the rerouted WV-2. 

We remember this well, as Jay Rockefeller ran for governor in 1976 on a platform that included making WV-2 four lanes between Ravenswood -and- Parkersburg.  After he got elected, the DOH announced that WV-56 was being four-laned and afterwards WV-2 would be routed along I-77 to get to Parkersburg.  It left a bad taste with locals all up-and-down the Ohio Valley.  To be honest, it helped Ravenswood out tremendously and allowed both Ohio and West Virginia to plan a better routing for US-33.

[I'm having problems zooming in on the 1982 Ohio official state map].  OK, I could zoom in after closing down everything else (including my browser).  ODOT messed up on the West Virginia side, showing the west approach of the bridge connecting straight up to an intersection in Ravenswood.  ODOT still showed WV-2 on the old route and incorrectly showed WV-68 where WV-56 used to run.  Essentially, that map incorrectly showed the Ravenswood bridge running between SR-338 and WV-2, continuing eastward as WV-68.  Neither SR-824 nor WV-338 were shown on the map, but I don't remember them being well-posted in the field either.

[Corrected the references to Ohio SR-824].

Mapmikey

OH 824 connected OH 124 to the Ravenswood Br initially.  See https://vintageaerial.com/scanned_maps/OH-Meigs-84-01

later OH 124 was rerouted and OH 338 was extended.  See https://vintageaerial.com/scanned_maps/A-OH-Meigs-92-01

WV side was always WV 338 to WV 68 - https://vintageaerial.com/scanned_maps/C-WV-Jackson-86-02

JREwing78

... given its bizarre origins, it's no wonder it just dumps itself onto what was a Ravenswood street - 33 went a different direction out of Ripley. At the very least, WV should put in a light at the terminus.

I'm not sure what's here that would preclude twinning the Ravenswood Bridge. It needs an overpass for Hartley Dr and Sandy Creek, and ramps to connect US-33 to WV 2/68, plus re-aligning WV-2/68 back to its original alignment. That's all relatively minor construction compared to the bridge itself.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.