North Carolina

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 11:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LM117

“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

WashuOtaku

Quote from: LM117 on February 15, 2024, 06:23:35 PM
"All NC Quick Pass transponders accepted for toll payments in E-ZPass states"

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2024/2024-02-15-ncquickpass-accepted-ezpass.aspx

That is great news since you can now use the FREE version, minus the HOV option in Virginia/Maryland. It is about time E-ZPass got their systems modernized; this could usher an expansion of  interoperability with other states now that have yet to join, like Texas and Oklahoma.

ccurley100

US 70 is being rerouted through Greensboro and High Point along Wendover Ave and NC 68 down to 29 in Thomasville.  NCDOT has been removing US 70 shields along its old routing, so I followed it westbound along its new routing Saturday afternoon (2-24-24) to see what kind of signing job as been done.  They haven't even bothered yet. They changed a right turn arrow to a straight arrow at Wendover and US 29, along with removing the 70 shield from the BGS's but other than that, there is nothing. 

Strider

Quote from: ccurley100 on February 26, 2024, 07:20:55 AM
US 70 is being rerouted through Greensboro and High Point along Wendover Ave and NC 68 down to 29 in Thomasville.  NCDOT has been removing US 70 shields along its old routing, so I followed it westbound along its new routing Saturday afternoon (2-24-24) to see what kind of signing job as been done.  They haven't even bothered yet. They changed a right turn arrow to a straight arrow at Wendover and US 29, along with removing the 70 shield from the BGS's but other than that, there is nothing.

That is a good question. I just emailed the local NCDOT office and asked the question about the delay. Hopefully I will have news soon. Stay tuned.

ARMOURERERIC

I was on I 74 Saturday.  All the bugs except for the first one you see on 74 east were changed.

bob7374

Quote from: Strider on February 26, 2024, 10:59:45 AM

That is a good question. I just emailed the local NCDOT office and asked the question about the delay. Hopefully I will have news soon. Stay tuned.
That US 70 straight arrow sign on Wendover Ave. at US 29 has been there for at least 6 years, so it hasn't been changed either, see this Google Street View link: https://maps.app.goo.gl/Ws8rYKHZpawdqQEQ8

Hopefully, there will be a response from NCDOT (that hopefully isn't 'What US 70 rerouting?') soon.

Strider

Quote from: bob7374 on February 26, 2024, 11:56:27 AM
Quote from: Strider on February 26, 2024, 10:59:45 AM

That US 70 straight arrow sign on Wendover Ave. at US 29 has been there for at least 6 years, so it hasn't been changed either, see this Google Street View link: https://maps.app.goo.gl/Ws8rYKHZpawdqQEQ8

Hopefully, there will be a response from NCDOT (that hopefully isn't 'What US 70 rerouting?') soon.

Here is the news that we have been waiting for:

Heard back from the local NCDOT office. They told me that they're still planning on rerouting US Highway 70 through Greensboro and High Point. There are two issues:

1. They have not set up the timeline yet.
2. They are still waiting on funding.

I'm assuming the funding ran out when they removed Business I-85 and US 70 shields around Greensboro.

So there is our answer for time being.

ccurley100

One would think that they would wait until they had funding for the entire job instead of just half-arsing it for several years but I doubt anyone follows US 70 just to get through Greensboro and most people have a GPS anyway. 

Strider

Quote from: ccurley100 on February 28, 2024, 07:11:38 AM
One would think that they would wait until they had funding for the entire job instead of just half-arsing it for several years but I doubt anyone follows US 70 just to get through Greensboro and most people have a GPS anyway.

Unless one want to clinch US 70 or for the local traffic. That's why NCDOT's priorities are a little whack. But I digress. At least they responded and gave explanation.

bob7374

Quote from: Strider on February 28, 2024, 05:14:29 PM

Unless one want to clinch US 70 or for the local traffic. That's why NCDOT's priorities are a little whack. But I digress. At least they responded and gave explanation.
Agree they should have funded the whole project before starting it, especially since they included the rerouting in the 2023-24 state map. However, the change of the overhead signs on all the interstates was part of the last Greensboro Loop contract which left the remainder to be done as a division project, subject to finding the available funds. Guess now they don't want to start that one until they can fund the whole thing...Couldn't they at least put up a few trailblazers at important intersections to confirm what is shown on the NCDOT and Rand McNally maps? There are apparently still many US 70 shields still posted along the former route that could be recycled.

Strider

Quote from: bob7374 on February 28, 2024, 10:04:02 PM
Quote from: Strider on February 28, 2024, 05:14:29 PM

Agree they should have funded the whole project before starting it, especially since they included the rerouting in the 2023-24 state map. However, the change of the overhead signs on all the interstates was part of the last Greensboro Loop contract which left the remainder to be done as a division project, subject to finding the available funds. Guess now they don't want to start that one until they can fund the whole thing...Couldn't they at least put up a few trailblazers at important intersections to confirm what is shown on the NCDOT and Rand McNally maps? There are apparently still many US 70 shields still posted along the former route that could be recycled.

You are right. The shields could easily be recycled and put on Wendover and NC 68. I asked the local NCDOT how they will let people know of the route changes while waiting for funding. Their response is below:

Sent By: Contact Us AdministratorDate/Time: 2/29/2024 8:38:33 AM
Comment:We will put out a press release, notify Google and Bing maps about the changes.

ARMOURERERIC

Part of this also..as I made my trip last weekend, all of US 311 was still signed south/east of 85, both reassurance and BGS.

wriddle082

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on March 02, 2024, 03:24:40 AM
Part of this also..as I made my trip last weekend, all of US 311 was still signed south/east of 85, both reassurance and BGS.

But for at least the past year it's been missing from all of the BGS's for I-85 Exits 113B-C.

Google Maps still shows US 311 running from I-74 Exit 84 to Business US 220 in Randleman.

The Ghostbuster

That irks me. That US 311 signage should have been removed by now. The usends website (https://www.usends.com/) has suggested that the remaining segment of US 311 (Winston-Salem, NC to Danville, VA) should become an extension of US 360: https://www.usends.com/blog/us-311-should-have-been-decommissioned-in-1934-why-is-it-still-around.

CanesFan27

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on March 02, 2024, 03:24:40 AM

Could part of the issue also be that the 70 routing change and 311 removal is occurring through multiple DOT maintenance divisions?

Katavia

Did the inner portion of I-85 BUS in Greensboro (north of the I-73/I-85 interchange) get chopped off recently?

I noticed a lot of missing shields (particularly on I-40 WB at the 40/85 split - one of the approach signs had no shields at all and read as "Left Exit 219 - SOUTH [missing US 29 shield, and blank spaces to left and right] - Charlotte" ) when I was in the area recently. TM and Google Maps say it remains active.
(Former) pizza delivery driver with a penchant for highways.
On nearly every other online platform I go by Kurzov - Katavia is a holdover from the past.

Mapmikey

Quote from: Katavia on March 13, 2024, 08:42:03 PM
Did the inner portion of I-85 BUS in Greensboro (north of the I-73/I-85 interchange) get chopped off recently?

I noticed a lot of missing shields (particularly on I-40 WB at the 40/85 split - one of the approach signs had no shields at all and read as "Left Exit 219 - SOUTH [missing US 29 shield, and blank spaces to left and right] - Charlotte" ) when I was in the area recently. TM and Google Maps say it remains active.

I-85 Bus in Greensboro was deleted in 2018, see pg 5 here - https://connect.ncdot.gov/resources/safety/Route%20Changes/2018_10_31.pdf

NCDOT often takes a while to change signage.

74/171FAN

Quote from: Mapmikey on March 13, 2024, 08:49:17 PM

I-85 Bus in Greensboro was deleted in 2018, see pg 5 here - https://connect.ncdot.gov/resources/safety/Route%20Changes/2018_10_31.pdf

The entire I-85 BL that serves Lexington has been removed as well. I believe that is still mostly signed at the moment.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

wdcrft63

Google Maps views of 40 WB and EB approaching the split show the 29 shield over "Charlotte". These views are dated last August.

froggie

Quote from: 74/171FAN on March 13, 2024, 08:57:02 PM
Quote from: Mapmikey on March 13, 2024, 08:49:17 PM

The entire I-85 BL that serves Lexington has been removed as well. I believe that is still mostly signed at the moment.

Went southbound from NC 68 to 285 a few days ago.  Do not recall seeing any BL shields.  DEFINITELY weren't any coming off 68.

roadman65

https://maps.app.goo.gl/LTi92rJMy5wEkaQa6
None here either.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/gGCXbJNCcBmAViDe9
Question. Isn't US 29 and US 70 also supposed to be signed here?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

froggie

Quote from: roadman65 on March 16, 2024, 05:16:19 PM
https://maps.app.goo.gl/gGCXbJNCcBmAViDe9
Question. Isn't US 29 and US 70 also supposed to be signed here?

How gigantus of an overhead sign do you really want?

While technically correct, sometimes one has to limit it to just the most important info in order to preserve space.  There's also a secondary guide sign before the exit telling drivers to use the exit for 29/70.

ARMOURERERIC

Was going to Lake Lure today for SCA fighter practice. Took a ride around the US 221 Rutherfordton  bypass to see the progress.  Was coming down US64 from Morganton.  First item I noted since my last trip 12/31/23....the easternmost locally additional access road north of 64 is now well underway.  The bridge for 64vover 221 has been complete for quite some time, but the approaches are nowhere near ready.  After driving over the future ROW on current 64, I again noted new work in the SW quadrant of the interchange to provide local access to a large church and some homes once 64 is relocated to the bridge.

Went north on existing 221, noted that the tie in road to the new highway appears to have resumed the grading work.  I then turned right on old 221which follows the new highway on the east side of the ROW..  About 3/4 of a mile in I noted a enlarged u-turn pocket on the NB side of the highway, indicating that anyone coming north on current 221 will be forced to turn right only on the new road, and the upturn to head towards Marion.  There was fresh grading for the location of the northern tie in.  The mainline and ramps are virtually complete for the Mountain Street exit.  Drovecstraight ahead to Charlotte Street.  The northern abutments are completed.  Only 2 lanes of traffic are squeezed on the northbound carrigeway.  On the south side of Charlotte Street, grading for the interchange is well underway, looks to be utilizing earty removed from the center of the project.

I may be around the Shelby Bypass later this coming week.  And should be back around the US 221 work again April13.

LM117

“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.