News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Florida

Started by FLRoads, January 21, 2009, 12:31:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avalanchez71

Quote from: NE2 on January 02, 2022, 01:45:26 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on December 29, 2021, 02:20:28 AM
https://fdot.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=324053528c0f49beaab365d0ef6796f8

I found the on line map from FDOT showing the routes including FL A1A overlapping US 1 from Miami to Key West.

Shitty data with many errors. For example, SR 827 and SR 798 exist west of US 441, SR 542 exists east of US 27, SR 553 is downgraded to CR 553, and SR 537 still exists - even north of SR 438!

Various maps have shown an 827 there over the years.  I have seen CR 827 and SR 827.  What is the story?  I cannot recall posting in the field.

formulanone

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on January 11, 2022, 11:58:09 AM
Quote from: NE2 on January 02, 2022, 01:45:26 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on December 29, 2021, 02:20:28 AM
https://fdot.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=324053528c0f49beaab365d0ef6796f8

I found the on line map from FDOT showing the routes including FL A1A overlapping US 1 from Miami to Key West.

Shitty data with many errors. For example, SR 827 and SR 798 exist west of US 441, SR 542 exists east of US 27, SR 553 is downgraded to CR 553, and SR 537 still exists - even north of SR 438!

Various maps have shown an 827 there over the years.  I have seen CR 827 and SR 827.  What is the story?  I cannot recall posting in the field.

Both were posted at one point or another in the field. Used to pass by it at least once a week; I have my doubts it was actually state-maintained since the Great 1970's turnback.

It's been neither for at least 10 years now.

Alex

Quote from: D-Dey65 on January 11, 2022, 09:54:46 AM
Anyone here ever been on FL 105? I was looking at the Google Map coverage of it, and from the air it looks like the entrance to JAXPORT was limited-access. Has the eastbound lane ever had a bridge over the entrance to the port? Should it have one?

https://www.aaroads.com/guides/fl-105/

edwaleni

Quote from: Alex on January 11, 2022, 10:58:10 PM
Anyone here ever been on FL 105? I was looking at the Google Map coverage of it, and from the air it looks like the entrance to JAXPORT was limited-access. Has the eastbound lane ever had a bridge over the entrance to the port? Should it have one?

FL-105 runs from I-95 in Jacksonville, where it is called Zoo Parkway.  Going east it turns into Hecksher Drive and is the primary access to JAXPORT, but is not restricted. Runs east to the Mayport Ferry where it terminates, since the ferry is a continuation of A1A.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: edwaleni on January 13, 2022, 09:37:44 AM
Quote from: Alex on January 11, 2022, 10:58:10 PM

FL-105 runs from I-95 in Jacksonville, where it is called Zoo Parkway.  Going east it turns into Hecksher Drive and is the primary access to JAXPORT, but is not restricted. Runs east to the Mayport Ferry where it terminates, since the ferry is a continuation of A1A.

Just so happened to have a pic of that junction:

https://flic.kr/p/Szz47Y

roadman65

At one time SR 105 went to Fernandina Beach with A1A.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

roadman65

Well FDOT did it.  It took 60 years, but Florida Department of Transportation District One has finally got it!   The Exit 38 guides on I-4 near Lakeland, which never had control cities, has them now.

Part of a repaving project from Exit 32 to the Rest Areas near Polk City, changed the guide signs E Bound on I-4 at State Road 33.  Polk City is finally given a mention for E Bound traffic.  Previously since the freeway opened back in the 1960's, the exit signed for Polk City was only Exit 44 (SR 559) which was a round about way to reach that city coming from Tampa.  Now, we have a more direct signed route finally.

Sheryl Crowe

VTGoose

The kids have moved back to Florida so we are back to the "Mountains to the Sea" travel of I-81/77/26/95/US 301/75 to reach St. Petersburg. This trip, which got us to Yulee on Saturday before the snow hit Blacksburg, continued on Sunday. I decided to do the I-95/I-4 route for something different, thinking "Sunday, traffic won't be too bad." It actually wasn't, except for Orlando, which was a mess. The last time we went that way was two years ago just after everything shut down for the pandemic. The was no traffic on that trip and we made it home in record time. There was a lot of heavy construction in Orlando for the express lanes, which looked to be largely completed on this trip through -- but not enough for the lanes to be open. What is left to do and when might the lanes be available? That out would have been useful to avoid the slow tourists in the far left lane.

Bruce in Blacksburg
"Get in the fast lane, grandma!  The bingo game is ready to roll!"

1995hoo

Quote from: VTGoose on January 18, 2022, 02:35:46 PM
The kids have moved back to Florida so we are back to the "Mountains to the Sea" travel of I-81/77/26/95/US 301/75 to reach St. Petersburg. This trip, which got us to Yulee on Saturday before the snow hit Blacksburg, continued on Sunday. I decided to do the I-95/I-4 route for something different, thinking "Sunday, traffic won't be too bad." It actually wasn't, except for Orlando, which was a mess. The last time we went that way was two years ago just after everything shut down for the pandemic. The was no traffic on that trip and we made it home in record time. There was a lot of heavy construction in Orlando for the express lanes, which looked to be largely completed on this trip through -- but not enough for the lanes to be open. What is left to do and when might the lanes be available? That out would have been useful to avoid the slow tourists in the far left lane.

Bruce in Blacksburg

We've had good experiences bypassing Orlando to the west. As you know, we often take the Auto Train, which drops you just off FL-46 in Sanford just east of I-4. When we want to head to the Gulf Coast, we take FL-46 west to FL-429 back down to I-4. Of course, that doesn't entirely avoid construction these days because of the ongoing construction to extend FL-429 east to I-4 (it will meet FL-417 at the existing interchange there), but there is substantially less traffic than there is on I-4, it's a shorter drive than FL-417 (and drops you southwest of Disney World, so you avoid that traffic), and on a clear day you get an interesting view of the Contemporary Resort on the horizon as you drive south. (On the way back north, you still get stuck in the Disney World backup trying to reach the exit for FL-429, but what can you do.)
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

VTGoose

Quote from: 1995hoo on January 18, 2022, 02:41:02 PM
We've had good experiences bypassing Orlando to the west. As you know, we often take the Auto Train, which drops you just off FL-46 in Sanford just east of I-4. When we want to head to the Gulf Coast, we take FL-46 west to FL-429 back down to I-4. Of course, that doesn't entirely avoid construction these days because of the ongoing construction to extend FL-429 east to I-4 (it will meet FL-417 at the existing interchange there), but there is substantially less traffic than there is on I-4, it's a shorter drive than FL-417 (and drops you southwest of Disney World, so you avoid that traffic), and on a clear day you get an interesting view of the Contemporary Resort on the horizon as you drive south. (On the way back north, you still get stuck in the Disney World backup trying to reach the exit for FL-429, but what can you do.)

The trip through Orlando was kind of a one-off and won't be repeated for a while. As I was battling the traffic and wind (the storm that dumped snow at home was still passing through Florida on Sunday, after triggering tornado warnings across the state on Saturday), I wondered several times why I didn't just go the usual route of U.S. 301 across and down to Ocala, then on down I-75. After 6 years, FDOT has completed the major construction projects on I-75 and finally finished the Starke and Baldwin bypasses. Now all they need to do is bypass a couple of the other wide spots on U.S. 301 and put in a better/more direct connection to I-75 at Zuber.

roadman65

Florida needs to connect US 301 where it merges with US 441 to I-75 at that spot.  All they need to do is tell Marion County that it will add to the economy with potential of development along the proposed route, and they will for sure allow.

IMO I don't want an at grade connection but a freeway spur as we are way too developed in this state as is. Former Governor Dick Scott obviously did not see what over development did to NJ and parts of PA and NY, so he made the same mistake those three states made in the seventies and eighties.

Sheryl Crowe

RoadPelican

I lived in Orlando for 2 years and that was too long (LOL!)  But this was 2014-2016 and traffic was/is bad everyday in O-town, double trouble on I-4.

D-Dey65

Just so some of you know, Hernando County Road 480 has been paved in its entirety for at least several years now;
https://www.aaroads.com/guides/cr-480-fl/

I was trying to look for images of Citrus County Road 480 as it crosses the abandoned Brooksville and Inverness Railway line west of Hernando-Citrus 581. I could swear I've posted them online.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: D-Dey65 on January 22, 2022, 01:55:22 PM
Just so some of you know, Hernando County Road 480 has been paved in its entirety for at least several years now;
https://www.aaroads.com/guides/cr-480-fl/

I was trying to look for images of Citrus County Road 480 as it crosses the abandoned Brooksville and Inverness Railway line west of Hernando-Citrus 581. I could swear I've posted them online.

Might have something in here, even if it is just a map link:

https://www.gribblenation.org/2017/05/2017-southeast-trip-part-3-crusing.html?m=1

D-Dey65

None of the map links have anything to do with Citrus CR 480 and that railroad crossing.

But this one does:
http://fcit.usf.edu/florida/maps/pages/100/f192/f192.htm

Also, your link not only doesn't have the more recently paved Hernando CR 480, it doesn't have HCR 480 at all.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: D-Dey65 on January 22, 2022, 03:07:43 PM
None of the map links have anything to do with Citrus CR 480 and that railroad crossing.

But this one does:
http://fcit.usf.edu/florida/maps/pages/100/f192/f192.htm

Also, your link not only doesn't have the more recently paved Hernando CR 480, it doesn't have HCR 480 at all.

Might be in the last part of that series, I know that I did Croom Road/480 that year given I have a photo album for it:

https://www.flickr.com/gp/151828809@N08/u7j4kC

I could swear I have picture pre-pavement Croom Road also which were way more detailed.  I probably just never bothered to upload them to Flickr or forgot.

You're referring to Stage Coach Trail?  If so, I know that I checked out the crossing in 2014 after I hiked to the Mannville town site.  I might have the rail grade (I'm not sure looking at anymore) but not where it crossed Stage Coach Trail.

Okay I know what I'm looking at now in my photos.  I have them labeled as "Landrum"  which from what I recall was a Brooksville-Inverness siding north of Stage Trail Road on what I think is Trail 9 in the Lecanto Sand Hills.  I used to spend a considerable amount of time hiking in that area circa 2013-2016 given that and Withlacoochee State Forest were the only real open spaces near where I lived.

D-Dey65

I'm sure I have it too. Although now I think they were deleted from the Yahoo Groups pages.

On another topic, these two signs on FL 11 at FL 40 should be merged together:
https://www.aaroads.com/guides/fl-011/#gallery-15

VTGoose

Mystery Solved (at least for me)

After several years of driving past the construction along the northbound side of U.S. 301 south of Baldwin (between County Road 218 and State Road 200), after an absence of a year and a half, concrete has been added to the project. A search turned up this info on the FDOT site (https://nflroads.com/ProjectDetails.aspx?p=5361):

The Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT) will begin its second and final phase of work Monday, November 30 to complete Florida's first concrete test track road parallel to the existing northbound lanes of U.S. 301 from just south of County Road 218 to just north of Richard Mosely Road (approximately 2.5 miles).

This phase will include constructing 52 new concrete test sections, a new storm water pond, installing new traffic signals, lighting, highway signage, guardrail, drainage, asphalt paving and other incidental construction.

Phase one of the project, which included earthwork and installation of data collection cabinets, was completed in early 2019. The purpose of the concrete test track road is to provide insight into FDOT's current concrete pavement design practices and study data to improve future materials and performance.

Superior Construction Company Southeast, LLC was selected to complete this project. Construction completion estimates are fluid and subject to change, weather and schedule permitting.

----------
Work is still in progress as of last week when we went past (or at least, not all the work is done, there wasn't evidence of any work being done other than a lane shift at the south end). It will be interesting to see how traffic is moved onto this pavement to test the concrete.

Bruce in Blacksburg

roadman65

I saw on FB someone post photos of new Disney signs along their 45 square mile resort.  They're converting the purple they've used to a neat shade of blue.

Sheryl Crowe

Alex

Quote from: VTGoose on January 26, 2022, 03:43:50 PM
Mystery Solved (at least for me)

After several years of driving past the construction along the northbound side of U.S. 301 south of Baldwin (between County Road 218 and State Road 200), after an absence of a year and a half, concrete has been added to the project. A search turned up this info on the FDOT site (https://nflroads.com/ProjectDetails.aspx?p=5361):

The Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT) will begin its second and final phase of work Monday, November 30 to complete Florida's first concrete test track road parallel to the existing northbound lanes of U.S. 301 from just south of County Road 218 to just north of Richard Mosely Road (approximately 2.5 miles).

This phase will include constructing 52 new concrete test sections, a new storm water pond, installing new traffic signals, lighting, highway signage, guardrail, drainage, asphalt paving and other incidental construction.

Phase one of the project, which included earthwork and installation of data collection cabinets, was completed in early 2019. The purpose of the concrete test track road is to provide insight into FDOT's current concrete pavement design practices and study data to improve future materials and performance.

Superior Construction Company Southeast, LLC was selected to complete this project. Construction completion estimates are fluid and subject to change, weather and schedule permitting.

----------
Work is still in progress as of last week when we went past (or at least, not all the work is done, there wasn't evidence of any work being done other than a lane shift at the south end). It will be interesting to see how traffic is moved onto this pavement to test the concrete.

Bruce in Blacksburg

That project has seemingly gone on forever. Earthwork for it was completed back in 2019. The project site (I was surprised when FDOT added it by November) lists Summer 2023 for completion.

Photo of the north end from 11/19/21:

VTGoose

Quote from: Alex on January 27, 2022, 06:40:33 PM

That project has seemingly gone on forever. Earthwork for it was completed back in 2019. The project site (I was surprised when FDOT added it by November) lists Summer 2023 for completion.

U.S. 301 seems to be a great place for long-term make-work projects. It took a long time to complete the Starke and Baldwin bypasses and work is still going on at the I-10/U.S. 301 interchange (it was in progress when we started going that way 6 years ago).

Bruce in Blacksburg

Alex

Quote from: VTGoose on January 28, 2022, 08:56:05 AM
U.S. 301 seems to be a great place for long-term make-work projects. It took a long time to complete the Starke and Baldwin bypasses and work is still going on at the I-10/U.S. 301 interchange (it was in progress when we started going that way 6 years ago).

Bruce in Blacksburg

And that never ending project at US 301/I-10 continues until Summer 2023.

The roadways for Interstate 10 are currently using the future distributor roadways. When we were driving up to Delaware in December 2020, we narrowly missed getting caught by a full closure of I-10 for that project. They just reopened the eastbound lanes when we passed through around 6 AM. The westbound roadway was in the process of reopening, and there was a pretty sizeable back up of traffic queuing for that.

D-Dey65

Quote from: Alex on January 28, 2022, 10:07:54 AM
Quote from: VTGoose on January 28, 2022, 08:56:05 AM

Bruce in Blacksburg

And that never ending project at US 301/I-10 continues until Summer 2023.

The new west-to-north off-ramp should've been slightly longer to prevent drivers from cutting across northbound US 301 and trying to get back onto I-10. But overall, I like what they've got.

roadman65

Why is that interchange taking so long? It only adds a cattle chute, and some new ramps, yet it's taking the same exact amount of time to construct the I-4 Ultimate in Orlando, which is a total rebuild of 21 miles of freeway verses one simple interchange here.

Sheryl Crowe

Jaxrunner

Concerning US 301 and I 10 in Baldwin, is there any word on widening I 10 between the First Coast Expressway and US 301? Seems that the extra lanes should go the extra 7 miles since I 10 picks up traffic from US 301 going towards Jacksonville.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.