News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Minor things that bother you

Started by planxtymcgillicuddy, November 27, 2019, 12:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeffy

Feeling a fart but not having it want to come out.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

JayhawkCO

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 31, 2021, 10:50:22 PM
A new regime taking over and changing the name of the country isn't unique to DR Congo–the same thing happened to Burma when the military seized control of the country, which is why you often see it still referred to decades later as "Myanmar, Formerly Known as Burma" or just "Myanmar (Burma)". The people of Burma never had a say in what their own country is called.

Having been there (and it's one of my favorite countries), no one there called it Burma anymore just because of fear of the junta since they literally have spies in the cities.  All of the expat Burmese that I've met call it Burma once they're outside of the country.  An absolute shame what's happening there right now. 

Chris

kphoger

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 31, 2021, 10:50:22 PM
My understanding–again, I'm white as a sheet so I speak with no authority on the subject–is that slavery in the United States disrupted the ability to trace family ties for many people of African descent back to any individual country or region in Africa. After all, people were being bought and sold, often with no regard to keeping families together, and under those conditions, knowledge of extended family is next to impossible.

However, the very nature of that disruption means that many people of African descent in the United States have that experience in common, plus the shared difficulties of racism and all of the secondary effects of it. Thus an American descended from a slave is likely to have more in common culturally, socioeconomically, and in terms of shared experiences, with another person with a similar family history than they would with someone who today lives in the original African country their descendants are from, or someone who immigrated to the US from an African country voluntarily.

I'm only slightly less white than a sheet, but that's only because I probably suntan better.  Anyway...

Yep, I understand that, and I was thinking about it while I typed my earlier post.  But that's not true for any black person who has immigrated since then.  For an immigrant from Senegal or Mauritania or Tanzania, those things are not true.  If a person is the descendent of slaves, has little to no knowledge of his or her African roots, and therefore identifies more as 'Black' than anything else, then I understand.  But that does not compel me to assume the same about, for example, the Sudanese refugees I used to work with:  the color of their skin may have been more black than anyone else I've known, but they were Sudanese, not Black.

Quote from: Zeffy on April 01, 2021, 11:46:53 AM

Aw, that's the best, though!  You thought you'd have to endure the stink, but then you don't have to after all.

A sneeze that doesn't want to happen, on the other hand...   :no:
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jmacswimmer

Quote from: kphoger on April 01, 2021, 03:11:05 PM
Aw, that's the best, though!  You thought you'd have to endure the stink, but then you don't have to after all.

I'm with Zeffy on this one - I'd much rather have the fart come out than vanish on me, much more satisfying that way  :-D (stink or no stink)

To quote Shrek:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owTGBSmeKOA
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

interstatefan990

Quote from: texaskdog on March 31, 2021, 09:57:12 PM
Quote from: interstatefan990 on March 31, 2021, 08:47:47 PM
Finishing a good TV show, watching bloopers/behind the scenes, and discovering that the set being filmed on was entirely fake and constructed on a stage. Like, wow, I falsely believed for so long that the characters were in an actual house.

When I was a kid until maybe about 8 I thought songs on the radio involved bands going into the studio to play one after another

When I was a kid, I thought the Mile High Club was an actual club. Of people doing the dirty on airplanes.  :-(
Multi-lane roundabouts are an abomination to mankind.

Zeffy

Quote from: kphoger on April 01, 2021, 03:11:05 PM

Yeah but if it's causing tummy pressure I don't care if it clears the room or not, I just want it out  :)
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

kphoger

My wife claims hers can get scared back in.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

wanderer2575

Quote from: roadman65 on March 25, 2021, 10:48:55 PM
The drive up ATM when the car in front of you stays there for more than five minutes without withdrawing or depositing.  Most of the time the driver sits there and occasionally his or her hand comes out to push a few buttons, before another long pause, to return to the machine to push more buttons and then pull the arm in for another indefinite period to then again push more buttons to start over.

Sometimes the walk up ATM is more efficient.

Also aggravating is the person who, after finishing his transactions, remains parked at the machine while putting away his card, counting his money, etc.  Move your car forward so the next person can use the machine!  Really, are you going to argue with the machine if you find a problem?

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: kphoger on April 01, 2021, 04:24:25 PM
My wife claims hers can get scared back in.

its a real phenomenon.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

kurumi

Our rather expensive refrigerator's ice maker has 2 modes:
* don't
* (Sorcerer's Apprentice broom scene from Fantasia)

Friends with the same fridge have the same "sensor? what sensor?" problem
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

kphoger

The fact that, if a vehicle is driving with its hazard lights on, its turn signals are useless.  I don't how many times I've been unaware that a garbage truck or snow plow or some other such vehicle is about to change lanes because of this.  It seems to me that, if a vehicle is one that needs to be using its hazard lights, then there's a good chance I need to be warned most about what it's about to do.

And that brings me to another thing that bothers me:  vehicles that drive with flashing lights for no good reason.  Towing a vehicle?  OK.  Going 15 mph under the limit?  OK.  Wide or precarious load?  OK.  But going the speed limit down the Interstate?  Nobody cares if you occasionally use your truck at construction sites, you don't need yellow lights flashing on top.

Quote from: kurumi on April 01, 2021, 05:49:34 PM
Our rather expensive refrigerator's ice maker has 2 modes:
* don't
* (Sorcerer's Apprentice broom scene from Fantasia)

Friends with the same fridge have the same "sensor? what sensor?" problem

With our friends' fridge, you never know if it's going to "dribble" one more ice cube out of the door five seconds after you remove your cup from the in-door dispenser.  So you stand there with your cup under it, just waiting, for several seconds.  Then you eventually give up, and it spits one onto the floor as soon as you do.
Male pronouns, please.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: kphoger on April 01, 2021, 05:57:29 PM
With our friends' fridge, you never know if it's going to "dribble" one more ice cube out of the door five seconds after you remove your cup from the in-door dispenser.  So you stand there with your cup under it, just waiting, for several seconds.  Then you eventually give up, and it spits one onto the floor as soon as you do.

That reminds me of another annoyance.  When you're drinking a drink with ice, you lift it up and all of the ice decides to declump at the same time and the drink goes all over you.

Chris

CoreySamson

My big beef with ice in drinks is when you get a soft drink at a restaurant that's been filled by the workers, the cup is filled up 90% with ice! C'mon, the drink is already pretty cold once out of the dispenser, so it doesn't really need that much more to get it cold. Plus the ice dilutes the drink.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

1995hoo

A reworded classic poem:

Here I sat with a broken heart.
Came to shit, didn't even fart.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: CoreySamson on April 01, 2021, 08:50:12 PM
My big beef with ice in drinks is when you get a soft drink at a restaurant that's been filled by the workers, the cup is filled up 90% with ice! C'mon, the drink is already pretty cold once out of the dispenser, so it doesn't really need that much more to get it cold. Plus the ice dilutes the drink.

Yeah.  If you order whiskey on the rocks at the restaurant I used to manage, you could fill up a 14 oz glass with ice with 2 oz of whiskey and have a full glass.  (For the record, a 2 oz pour is a standard "on the rocks" pour.  We weren't cheating people.)

Chris

kphoger

Quote from: jayhawkco on April 01, 2021, 08:59:05 PM

Yeah.  If you order whiskey on the rocks at the restaurant I used to manage, you could fill up a 14 oz glass with ice with 2 oz of whiskey and have a full glass.  (For the record, a 2 oz pour is a standard "on the rocks" pour.  We weren't cheating people.)

And–correct me if I'm wrong–diluting the whiskey is done on purpose.
Male pronouns, please.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: kphoger on April 01, 2021, 10:16:49 PM
Quote from: jayhawkco on April 01, 2021, 08:59:05 PM

And–correct me if I'm wrong–diluting the whiskey is done on purpose.

Kinda.  If you use small ice cubes for your rocks, it will dilute the whiskey more than one large cube due to surface area.  So if you order on the rocks and want it not quite as strong (eventually), you want small cubes.

That reminds me of James Bond.  People think that when he orders his martini "shaken, not stirred" then that means he wants it stronger.  It's the opposite.  A shaken martini will shave little bits off of the ice cubes which melt and dilute the drink.  A stirred martini will chill without those little chips so the drink will be stronger.

Chris

roadman65

Quote from: texaskdog on March 31, 2021, 08:38:06 PM
Houses on television where the inside and outside don't match.  Watching KOQ and the outside view has 3 windows on the left, none on the right.  Inside there are clearly windows on both side.  The Brady Bunch house does not match up.  All in the family has a porch in closeups but not in the outside shot at the beginning.

The Cunningham house on Happy Days windows also don't match up. Plus what happened to the garage in the final season as in leaving by the back door the Cunningham's have an actual backyard where the garage is with Fonzies staircase missing.

Plus the Arnold's bathrooms outside doors don't match up with the men's room interior.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

formulanone

Food packaging which fails to open properly, rendering the bag seal useless.

wanderer2575

That's my second beef.  My first is that they immediately fill the drink and then it sits melting and diluting while there are still five cars in front of me waiting to pay and pick up their orders.  Bonus irritation when they sit the drink or milkshake on the window ledge in direct sunlight to melt even faster.  More than once, especially with a Wendy's Frosty, I've asked them to dump it and pull a fresh one because what they handed me was already half-melted.

kphoger

Quote from: jayhawkco on April 01, 2021, 11:16:21 PM
That reminds me of James Bond.  People think that when he orders his martini "shaken, not stirred" then that means he wants it stronger.  It's the opposite.  A shaken martini will shave little bits off of the ice cubes which melt and dilute the drink.  A stirred martini will chill without those little chips so the drink will be stronger.

Hmmm, I'm not sure about that.  My impression is that, when Bond orders his "vodka martini, shaken not stirred", it's because he's rather particular/pretentious/persnickety about his drink–because they think shaking vs stirring makes no difference, and a normal person would just order a "martini".

Also, the choice of vodka over gin made Bond a more "modern" connoisseur, but that's probably lost on 95% of viewers.
Male pronouns, please.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: kphoger on April 02, 2021, 12:21:40 PM
Quote from: jayhawkco on April 01, 2021, 11:16:21 PM

Hmmm, I'm not sure about that.  My impression is that, when Bond orders his "vodka martini, shaken not stirred", it's because he's rather particular/pretentious/persnickety about his drink–because they think shaking vs stirring makes no difference, and a normal person would just order a "martini".

Also, the choice of vodka over gin made Bond a more "modern" connoisseur, but that's probably lost on 95% of viewers.

I just figure that, since James Bond is a badass, that they think that ordering it that way makes them more badass, when in theory it makes it a weaker drink.  Kinda like most guys wouldn't order a Cosmo since it's a "girl drink" but probably wouldn't have a problem ordering a vodka/cranberry even though the former is stronger.

Chris

Scott5114

Quote from: wanderer2575 on April 02, 2021, 09:19:29 AM

That's my second beef.  My first is that they immediately fill the drink and then it sits melting and diluting while there are still five cars in front of me waiting to pay and pick up their orders.  Bonus irritation when they sit the drink or milkshake on the window ledge in direct sunlight to melt even faster.

Both of these can be fixed by ordering the beverage with no ice (which is a fairly common request). You can then add ice when you get home, if you're not immediately consuming the beverage.

There wouldn't be much point for the restaurant to intentionally overfill the cup with ice, as the cost of the soda is only a few cents–most of the expense of a soda is the custom-printed cup. When I worked at Burger King, I wouldn't ever fill the cups to the ice-fill line printed on the cups (which was about 3/4 of the way up the cup), I'd usually just do about half. Only got a few people complaining about not having enough ice.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

texaskdog

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 02, 2021, 04:33:15 PM

That's my second beef.  My first is that they immediately fill the drink and then it sits melting and diluting while there are still five cars in front of me waiting to pay and pick up their orders.  Bonus irritation when they sit the drink or milkshake on the window ledge in direct sunlight to melt even faster.

Both of these can be fixed by ordering the beverage with no ice (which is a fairly common request). You can then add ice when you get home, if you're not immediately consuming the beverage.

There wouldn't be much point for the restaurant to intentionally overfill the cup with ice, as the cost of the soda is only a few cents—most of the expense of a soda is the custom-printed cup. When I worked at Burger King, I wouldn't ever fill the cups to the ice-fill line printed on the cups (which was about 3/4 of the way up the cup), I'd usually just do about half. Only got a few people complaining about not having enough ice.

I work with a guy who puts only one cube in every drink.  At that point why bother?

JayhawkCO

Quote from: texaskdog on April 02, 2021, 07:32:06 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on April 02, 2021, 04:33:15 PM

There wouldn't be much point for the restaurant to intentionally overfill the cup with ice, as the cost of the soda is only a few cents–most of the expense of a soda is the custom-printed cup. When I worked at Burger King, I wouldn't ever fill the cups to the ice-fill line printed on the cups (which was about 3/4 of the way up the cup), I'd usually just do about half. Only got a few people complaining about not having enough ice.

I work with a guy who puts only one cube in every drink.  At that point why bother?

Assuming you're talking about liquor, just enough to cool it down and dilute it a bit.  If you're talking a Big Gulp, I agree.

Chris

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.