News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Fictional Highways and Road Illustrations should be publicly viewable

Started by BridgesToIdealism, August 12, 2020, 05:55:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BridgesToIdealism

There doesn't seem to be any reason why these two forums need to be private. Unregistered users can't comment anyway.
Matthew Wong; University of Indianapolis Class of 2024

jeffandnicole

Because that thread isn't really the purpose of this forum, and is there just to allow people to 'vent'.

If people are interested in roads, they will sign up. Then they can see the option is available.

Thing 342

If I recall correctly, the reason why Illustrations was hidden was due to unregistered users stealing content posted there and re-hosting it elsewhere.

Fictional Highways was hidden due to people registering solely to post in that forum. (How effective this action was is up for discussion)

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Thing 342 on August 12, 2020, 07:12:29 PM
If I recall correctly, the reason why Illustrations was hidden was due to unregistered users stealing content posted there and re-hosting it elsewhere.

Correct.

Alps

Fictional Highways was hidden due to people registering solely to post in that forum. (How effective this action was is up for discussion)
People know it's there. They register anyway. Shrug.

Henry

Personally, I don't mind these two sections being hidden, for those reasons. Also, it's very easy to abuse them, especially when people post in regional sections or General Highway Talk about ideas for new highways or extensions of existing ones that will most likely never see the light of day.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

webny99

Travel is also hidden.

I don't mind the hidden boards at all. It does make it inconvenient to browse or do a quick check without logging in, but that's never bothered me. If I've got time to view the hidden boards, I've got time to log in.

Verlanka

Quote from: webny99 on August 13, 2020, 11:46:35 PM
Travel is also hidden.
As well as Mass Transit and Urban Planning.

Scott5114

Quote from: Verlanka on August 14, 2020, 05:03:28 AM
Travel is also hidden.

Mass Transit is hidden for more or less the same reason as Fictional–this is primarily a road forum, and we don't want people joining solely to post about transit. We also don't want to attract a contingent of "No roads! Only transit!" posters.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

CNGL-Leudimin

Then there's that forum which is hidden when you are logged in. Registration issues is its name IIRC.

I was aware of Fictional Highways' existence before registering anyway, even though it is hidden when not logged in.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

thspfc

I seem to be the only one who did not know Fictional existed before registering. Which is weird because I started reading this form way back in 2017, and didn't register until 2019.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on August 17, 2020, 03:25:27 PM
Then there's that forum which is hidden when you are logged in. Registration issues is its name IIRC.logged in.

Which is completely intentional as well.  Only Mods & Admins can see it while logged in so we can help people with those issues.

mrsman

All of this seems perfectly fine.  People can see the road related stuff and decide to join if they are truly interested.  At that time, hopefully, newbies can lurk around a little bit to understand proper forum etiquette before coming on board with their posts.  Learn what is or isn't on-topic. 

Ketchup99

Quote from: Scott5114 on August 16, 2020, 02:07:58 PM
Travel is also hidden.

Mass Transit is hidden for more or less the same reason as Fictional–this is primarily a road forum, and we don't want people joining solely to post about transit. We also don't want to attract a contingent of "No roads! Only transit!" posters.
I mean, we've got plenty of "No transit! Only roads!" people...

kphoger

Quote from: Ketchup99 on August 18, 2020, 06:05:36 PM

...which wouldn't be good on a transit forum.  Similarly...
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: kphoger on August 19, 2020, 09:34:04 AM

The transit and anti-car people are a fairly well-united group.  If and when they find out about this group, expect one of them to relay to the others about the group, and if approved you'll notice a lot more "transit/bikes/peds good, all roads everywhere suck" posts if their request for membership is approved.

As far as that unity, I figured this out firsthand one day.  I was sitting in a parking lot by an intersection I'm frequently driving thru, and there was a traffic-counter person there.  Watching her for a few minutes, I noticed every time a bicyclist would ride by, she made a note on her clipboard.  And then I noticed the bicyclists.  Dozens of them in just a short period of time.  In an area where I can't recall any before, and haven't really seen any since (maybe the occasional bicyclist, but certainly nowhere near the volume that was going thru this day).

Clearly, what was happening was there was some sort of study to determine if there should be bicycle lanes in the area.  Someone in the bicycling community found out, shared it with the other members of the community, and many of them took the time to drive to the area, unload their bikes, and would make runs thru the intersection.  From what I remember, they almost all went straight, so they were simply going down the road for a bit, making a u-turn, and would come back. 

I don't know what the eventual purpose of this was...no improvements have been made to the intersection since I witnessed this (and it's been several years), and there's nothing on NJDOT's plans to make improvements to this particular area.

thspfc

Quote from: jeffandnicole on August 19, 2020, 06:56:27 PM

The transit and anti-car people are a fairly well-united group.  If and when they find out about this group, expect one of them to relay to the others about the group, and if approved you'll notice a lot more "transit/bikes/peds good, all roads everywhere suck" posts if their request for membership is approved.
Yep, they're a distinct and quite insufferable group. Totally disconnected from reality when it comes to their "activism" regarding getting rid of roads and cars. On the off chance that any of them end up here, I'd like to see them banned right away (if that hasn't happened already, I've not been here long so I don't know).

mrsman

Quote from: thspfc on August 19, 2020, 09:51:08 PM

Yep, they're a distinct and quite insufferable group. Totally disconnected from reality when it comes to their "activism" regarding getting rid of roads and cars. On the off chance that any of them end up here, I'd like to see them banned right away (if that hasn't happened already, I've not been here long so I don't know).

I would think if that attitude would come out in their writing, it would be considered abusive and would be grounds for removal from the forum. 

I am happy to have a civil discussion and in certain areas one can certainly say that a transit project has more worth than a freeway widening, but anyone who is that anti-car just simply wouldn't fit in here.

kphoger

On the off chance that any of them end up here, I'd like to see them banned right away (if that hasn't happened already, I've not been here long so I don't know).

I don't see why.  They might still make valuable contributions to various conversations on the forum.  For example, they could be avid bridge historians and contribute to the bridge threads.  They could be total map geeks and contribute knowledge about historical re-routings.  They could have a keen eye on highway projects in the area and contribute links to official plans and news releases.

Just because they are anti-car, that doesn't mean everything they say would be offensive.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Takumi

There are a few pro-transit posters here, though they're here for other aspects of roads and generally aren't militantly anti-car in their posts on the forum. They may be elsewhere.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

mrsman

Quote from: Takumi on August 20, 2020, 03:43:47 PM

There are a few pro-transit posters here, though they're here for other aspects of roads and generally aren't militantly anti-car in their posts on the forum. They may be elsewhere.

I am not aware of a regular poster who is "militantly anti-car" so whatever the mods are doing in this regard - it's working.

thspfc

Quote from: Takumi on August 20, 2020, 03:43:47 PM

Yeah I don't have a problem with pro-transit people. It's anti-car people who are the difficult ones to deal with.

BridgesToIdealism

Travel is also hidden.

If it's the case of trying to stop off-topic posters, shouldn't the "off-topic" forum also be hidden?
Matthew Wong; University of Indianapolis Class of 2024

Scott5114

Nobody joins the forum just to post in off-topic. If you wanted to do that, you could just post on social media.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Yep, they're a distinct and quite insufferable group. Totally disconnected from reality when it comes to their "activism" regarding getting rid of roads and cars.
Sort of like the folks on here who complain about speed limits being too low, or why roads aren't being built.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.