Athletics President re: keeping the team in Oakland

Started by OCGuy81, May 12, 2021, 12:40:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OCGuy81

Is Oakland about to lose another franchise to Las Vegas?  Possibly.

Athletics president says they'll pay for the park at the Waterfront. All Oakland has to do is put tax incentive zones, and develop the surrounding area.  The team can leave for places like Vegas, Nashville, or Portland if the city of Oakland does not act right away and votes this project in.

Interview by ABC's Larry Beil.

http://abc7news.com/sports/as-president-explains-what-it-will-take-to-keep-team-in-oakland/10616234/

thspfc

For the A's sake I hope they move to Vegas. The Raiders have already benefitted hugely from moving.

Alps

Vegas can't support MLB, much larger crowds over a much longer time than the other sports. Charlotte, to me, makes the most sense, or San Antonio (always overlooked).

JayhawkCO

I think I'd vote for Nashville for the place that makes the most sense.

Chris

OCGuy81

Quote from: jayhawkco on May 12, 2021, 06:00:17 PM
I think I'd vote for Nashville for the place that makes the most sense.

Chris

It seems like it'd be a good fit. I don't think that would encroach too much on the Braves fan base.

texaskdog

I'd get the two florida teams out to sunnier pastures as well

Roadgeekteen

Is there really a market for two MLB teams in the Bay Area?
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

texaskdog

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 12, 2021, 09:51:33 PM

I'm thinking most people who live there don't routinely cross the bridge to do things.

kevinb1994

I'm definitely interested in seeing if the A's actually end up moving back east but to Charlotte (how about the Townies) or Nashville (the Stars are an idea). This will be interesting for both MiLB (there was once a team called the Athletic Baseball Club in the old Southern League of Colored Base Ballists, and Connie Mack was here during the early years of MiLB) and World Series (given that they will not be TOO far from the Braves, who once had a MiLB team here also called the Braves, whose legacy lives on at Terry Parker High in the Arlington area–there was also a Negro Major League team called the Red Caps, Red Caps being one of the old names of the team now since known as the Braves) purposes if the move does happen.

Max Rockatansky

If the Athletics move they definitely do not need a change of name.  The name literally fits for any city and has been in use since 1901. 

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: texaskdog on May 12, 2021, 11:08:05 PM

I'm thinking most people who live there don't routinely cross the bridge to do things.

Despite being close the Oakland and San Francisco are very different places.  The fanbases don't have a ton of crossover traditionally.  It was actually somewhat controversial when the Warriors moved from Oakland since a lot of people thought that was a betrayal of the fan base. 

NWI_Irish96

There is if you put one of them in the South Bay, but the Giants do not want the A's going down there. I believe they have the right to block that move.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Stephane Dumas

To think there was a time when St. Louis used to have 2 MLB teams. The Cardinals and the Browns.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_St._Louis_Browns
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvopzY0Qy4o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EC_dpKONlhg

Doubtful then the A's would move to Montreal, it'll be a miracle if they move there.

JayhawkCO

Tampa is likely going to Montreal in the near future.

Chris

FightingIrish

Quote from: thspfc on May 12, 2021, 12:57:15 PM
For the A's sake I hope they move to Vegas. The Raiders have already benefitted hugely from moving.
Vegas wouldn't work with those hot summers. Charlotte makes the most sense.

NWI_Irish96

Anyplace the A's go other than Montreal, there is going to be at least one team that will see it as territorial infringement. Even places like Las Vegas and Charlotte, which aren't really close to another team, the Dodgers (and to a lesser extent the Angels) and the Braves are going to lose TV viewers to the A's.

bing101

Does Austin, TX count as a candidate for getting the A's or not. I know Austin, TX has been getting attention here in California because some of the Tech CEO's and VC leaders have been talking about leaving CA for Texas for some time though. But that may not translate necessarily for MLB teams moving though.

Henry

I just realized something: This would be the fourth time (IIRC) that one city gained multiple franchises from another, with Oakland getting the A's and Warriors from Philadelphia (although they were via Kansas City and San Francisco, respectively), Atlanta getting the Braves and Hawks from Milwaukee (with the second one via St. Louis), and recently, Los Angeles getting the Clippers and Chargers from San Diego.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

OCGuy81

Quote from: FightingIrish on May 13, 2021, 09:20:47 AM

True, but Arizona has a team.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: OCGuy81 on May 13, 2021, 12:35:51 PM
Quote from: FightingIrish on May 13, 2021, 09:20:47 AM

True, but Arizona has a team.

And if they went to Vegas, I would assume they'd probably have a dome (retractable or not).

Chris

texaskdog

Quote from: Henry on May 13, 2021, 11:26:03 AM
I just realized something: This would be the fourth time (IIRC) that one city gained multiple franchises from another, with Oakland getting the A's and Warriors from Philadelphia (although they were via Kansas City and San Francisco, respectively), Atlanta getting the Braves and Hawks from Milwaukee (with the second one via St. Louis), and recently, Los Angeles getting the Clippers and Chargers from San Diego.

The USFL LA Express we're originally supposed to play in San Diego but it never happened. 

triplemultiplex

I don't like professional sports in Las Vegas simply on principle.  Remember how gambling was such a scourge that to associate your sports league with it was to indelibly stain the sport?  The Black Sox; Pete Rose; all that shit?

Well never mind that, welcome to opening day of the Las Vegas Athletics brought to you by Draft Kings and the fucking Mirage!
Ha, ha!  We're so desperate to increase viewership that we'll embrace degenerate gamblers now!
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

JayhawkCO

Quote from: triplemultiplex on May 13, 2021, 04:14:09 PM
I don't like professional sports in Las Vegas simply on principle.  Remember how gambling was such a scourge that to associate your sports league with it was to indelibly stain the sport?  The Black Sox; Pete Rose; all that shit?

Well never mind that, welcome to opening day of the Las Vegas Athletics brought to you by Draft Kings and the fucking Mirage!
Ha, ha!  We're so desperate to increase viewership that we'll embrace degenerate gamblers now!

If you like betting on hockey, it's great to bet against the Knights since they get artificially inflated lines from the locals betting on their own team.

Chris

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: triplemultiplex on May 13, 2021, 04:14:09 PM

Professional athletes make so much now that there is little risk of Vegas players being on the take. Plus sports betting is now legal in many other states where there are teams.

Alps

Quote from: bing101 on May 13, 2021, 09:56:11 AM
Does Austin, TX count as a candidate for getting the A's or not. I know Austin, TX has been getting attention here in California because some of the Tech CEO's and VC leaders have been talking about leaving CA for Texas for some time though. But that may not translate necessarily for MLB teams moving though.
I mentioned San Antonio because it's still a much larger metro area than Austin, but a stadium on the north side would draw from both.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.