News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

What is your state's most famous rout?

Started by JayhawkCO, November 08, 2021, 02:23:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hot Rod Hootenanny

From the southern side of the rivalry; 50-14, 1968...
QuoteIn the 1968 game, Ohio State won 50—14, outscoring its foe 29—0 in the second half and attempting an unsuccessful two-point conversion attempt on its final touchdown. In the post-game interview Hayes was asked why he went for two points with an already insurmountable 50—14 lead and he replied, "because they wouldn't let me go for three".

From the northern side of the rivalry; 86-0, 1902
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

DTComposer

My Northern California memory would go to Super Bowl XXIV in 1990 - 49ers 55-10 over the Broncos. Not the biggest point margin by a long shot, but the biggest ever in the Super Bowl, and put up against a Hall of Fame QB.

JayhawkCO

For Colorado, it's gotta be Super Bowl XXII where the Broncos lost to Washington 42-10.

Chris

hotdogPi

I think for Massachusetts, the 28-3 Super Bowl is more famous than any college games. The difference with this one is that there were two routs in a single game: the Falcons until hitting 28-3 and the Patriots afterward.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

tchafe1978

Wisconsin 70, Nebraska 31 in the 2012 B1G championship game. Badgers were only 8-5 that year, without their starting QB, Bret Beilema had one foot out the door, and everyone picked Nebraska to win.

1995hoo

Has to be a certain NCAA Tournament first-round game in 2018 involving a #1 seed and a #16 seed. I'd say things turned out pretty well a year later, though.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: 1995hoo on November 09, 2021, 10:43:58 AM
Has to be a certain NCAA Tournament first-round game in 2018 involving a #1 seed and a #16 seed. I'd say things turned out pretty well a year later, though.

And it's not a rout, but the other most famous game for your state (and school) is probably Ralph Sampson getting upset by Chaminade.  Brutal luck with two of your most famous moments being massive upsets.

Chris

1995hoo

Quote from: jayhawkco on November 09, 2021, 10:54:09 AM

And it's not a rout, but the other most famous game for your state (and school) is probably Ralph Sampson getting upset by Chaminade.  Brutal luck with two of your most famous moments being massive upsets.

Chris

Ehhh, it's not that big a deal. It stunk at the time, but so what? The people who like to go on the most about that are affiliated with a certain institution that has never won a single NCAA team championship in any sport.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: 1995hoo on November 09, 2021, 11:11:22 AM

Chris

Ehhh, it's not that big a deal. It stunk at the time, but so what? The people who like to go on the most about that are affiliated with a certain institution that has never won a single NCAA team championship in any sport.

Sure, but coming from a fan of a school that has been known to choke a couple times here and there in the tournament (Arizona, VCU, Rhode Island, UTEP, Bucknell, Bradley, etc.), it's more just bizarre that arguably the two most famous upsets in college basketball history are both against UVa.  Not trying to rub salt in the wounds, just noticing the weird coincidence.

Chris

1995hoo

Quote from: jayhawkco on November 09, 2021, 11:30:03 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on November 09, 2021, 11:11:22 AM

Chris

Sure, but coming from a fan of a school that has been known to choke a couple times here and there in the tournament (Arizona, VCU, Rhode Island, UTEP, Bucknell, Bradley, etc.), it's more just bizarre that arguably the two most famous upsets in college basketball history are both against UVa.  Not trying to rub salt in the wounds, just noticing the weird coincidence.

Chris

The Chaminade game was well before my time anyway and I don't remember it. That was in December 1982. About the only sport I watched at the time was pro football. The Redskins won the Super Bowl that season, although I think I first got into watching that a couple of weeks later during the playoffs when everyone at school went nuts. I hadn't watched a lot of sports before then–we went to the occasional Washington Diplomats soccer game at RFK, and if you count the Harlem Globetrotters as a "sports event" (questionable, IMO) we saw them play a few times at the Capital Centre. But that was it. I didn't really watch much sports on TV until the Redskins' playoff run that year.

As for the other....well, I'd say they made up for it the next year.

GaryV

US 41

Indiana State 90 Indiana University 69 in Archie Miller's first game, and believe it or not the final score looks better than what the game actually was. He never recovered from that beat down.  :-D
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

thspfc

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: thspfc on November 10, 2021, 10:37:37 PM
Quote from: GaryV on November 09, 2021, 02:34:16 PM
2 words: Appalachian State
Ah yes, the rout with a final score of 34-32

If I recall correct both UofM and Appalachian State ended up ranked in the top 25 at years end.   

ilpt4u

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 10, 2021, 11:05:29 PM
Quote from: thspfc on November 10, 2021, 10:37:37 PM
Quote from: GaryV on November 09, 2021, 02:34:16 PM
2 words: Appalachian State
Ah yes, the rout with a final score of 34-32
If I recall correct both UofM and Appalachian State ended up ranked in the top 25 at years end.
I don't remember if Appy State was actually offered a Bowl Bid, but I remember talk of whether an FCS/I-AA team can even be offered a bowl bid. The AP Poll changed their rules to allow FCS teams to be eligible for the poll, specifically because of the Appy upset over Michigan

nexus73

In Oregon the best routs in favor of the team from here would be:

1-OSU  41  Notre Dame 9 (Fiesta Bowl)
2-Portland State 105  Delaware State 0 (Neil Lomax threw 7 TD passes in the 1st quarter)
3-Oregon on multiple occasions killing the other team completely

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

hbelkins

Blowouts are supposed to give teams the opportunity to get reserves some playing time. It's good if you have younger players that are coming up through the ranks, or need to make a backup better prepared in case the starter gets injured. That doesn't always happen, though, especially if one team's coach doesn't like the other team's coach. Steve Spurrier used to be notorious for that when he coached Florida.

When I was a reporter covering the local high school basketball team years ago, they had one of the top teams in the state and were routinely blowing people out. The starting five was five seniors. Very often, the starters were done after three quarters, or would come out with six or four minutes left in the game in favor of the reserves. It helped get the reserves ready for the next season. They started off with a bang and won their first six games, then there was some upheaval on the team and a few players quit over playing time issues and because they didn't like the offense the coach was running. They only won three games the rest of the year.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: thspfc on November 14, 2021, 09:41:14 AM
Quote from: jayhawkco on November 08, 2021, 06:44:33 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 08, 2021, 06:38:51 PM
Quote from: jayhawkco on November 08, 2021, 06:37:29 PM
Or you can try to raise kids who have compassion...

Chris

I haven't read deeply into the story but it sounds like a charter school or something playing some other team that shouldn't even be in their league.

Exactly.  If you want to teach kids that competition isn't everything and that you should actually look out for other humans who may or may not be anything like you, that teaching needs to come from the adults.  I'm super competitive when I play games.  I was super competitive when I played sports.  I never wanted my opponents to feel humiliated, merely that they didn't win this time.  Disappointment will happen.  Humiliation for amateur kids shouldn't.

Chris
I've been on both sides of this story, many times each. On the winning side, I never want to stop scoring, I want to beat the other team as hilariously bad as possible. When playing it's not my job to care for their feelings. On the losing side, it sucks, but I will never hold a grudge against a team that wants to "humiliate" us. When playing it's not their job to care for my feelings.

I was part of a pretty good high school team that often won games by 30+ points. We always put our second string in at that point and agreed to a running clock for the remainder of the game. However, one time right before halftime an opposing player hit our QB in the head, then kicked him when he was on the ground. The refs threw a flag, but for whatever reason didn't eject him. Our coach went to their locker room and insisted that the coach leave that player in the locker room for the second half. He refused, and we scored 40 points in the 3rd quarter, going for two after each touchdown, onside kicking once, and calling a timeout to get the 5th touchdown before the end of the quarter. The opposing coach finally decided to send the offending player to the locker room and the 4th quarter was played with a running clock and no scoring.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

thspfc

Quote from: cabiness42 on November 14, 2021, 03:14:52 PM

Chris

I haven't read deeply into the story but it sounds like a charter school or something playing some other team that shouldn't even be in their league.

Exactly.  If you want to teach kids that competition isn't everything and that you should actually look out for other humans who may or may not be anything like you, that teaching needs to come from the adults.  I'm super competitive when I play games.  I was super competitive when I played sports.  I never wanted my opponents to feel humiliated, merely that they didn't win this time.  Disappointment will happen.  Humiliation for amateur kids shouldn't.

Chris
I've been on both sides of this story, many times each. On the winning side, I never want to stop scoring, I want to beat the other team as hilariously bad as possible. When playing it's not my job to care for their feelings. On the losing side, it sucks, but I will never hold a grudge against a team that wants to "humiliate" us. When playing it's not their job to care for my feelings.

I was part of a pretty good high school team that often won games by 30+ points. We always put our second string in at that point and agreed to a running clock for the remainder of the game. However, one time right before halftime an opposing player hit our QB in the head, then kicked him when he was on the ground. The refs threw a flag, but for whatever reason didn't eject him. Our coach went to their locker room and insisted that the coach leave that player in the locker room for the second half. He refused, and we scored 40 points in the 3rd quarter, going for two after each touchdown, onside kicking once, and calling a timeout to get the 5th touchdown before the end of the quarter. The opposing coach finally decided to send the offending player to the locker room and the 4th quarter was played with a running clock and no scoring.
That's an awesome story.

hbelkins

Quote from: thspfc on November 14, 2021, 07:16:28 PM
Quote from: cabiness42 on November 14, 2021, 03:14:52 PM

Chris

Chris

That's an awesome story.

I think a running clock is in the rules for Kentucky high school football now after a margin reaches a certain level. There's also a mercy rule for baseball if a margin reaches a certain level.

In the above story, the coach of the offending player should have taken him out of the game for his own safety, lest he be retaliated against.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Roadgeekteen

Possibly the Red Sox blowing out the Yankees in game 7 2004 to come back from down 3-0 to win the ALCS.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: SectorZ on November 08, 2021, 08:17:49 PM
Every week by whatever UMass decides to lose by...
Can't believe we lost to FCS Rhode Island and Maine by double-digits :banghead:
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Rothman

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on November 15, 2021, 02:48:40 PM
UMass' football team doesn't exactly have a storied history...
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

TheHighwayMan3561

MA's might be the Patriots 59, Titans 0 in the snow at Foxboro in 2009.
Pats 45, Colts 7 in the 2014 AFC title game for what came out of that game in the offseason.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

jp the roadgeek

:-(
Quote from: Rothman on November 15, 2021, 03:28:37 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on November 15, 2021, 02:48:40 PM
UMass' football team doesn't exactly have a storied history...

They did win an FCS (then 1-AA) Championship in 1998.  Plus they beat UConn this season, so they're not the worst team in FBS.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.