News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Advisory Bike Lanes?

Started by Ned Weasel, April 06, 2022, 09:58:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KEK Inc.

Quote from: Rothman on April 18, 2022, 11:48:21 PM
So...many...unfounded...generalizations...

I have seen more fat tire enthusiasts than skinny tire high performance nuts...

The average person isn't going to bike to the grocery store in the US like they do in the Netherlands.  The U.S. has car-centric infrastructure that makes casual utility cycling unapproachable.  Not sure what our argument is anymore. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpVncWxyMJw&ab_channel=Propel
Take the road less traveled.

US 89

Quote from: KEK Inc. on April 18, 2022, 11:57:13 PM
The average person isn't going to bike to the grocery store in the US like they do in the Netherlands.  The U.S. has car-centric infrastructure that makes casual utility cycling unapproachable.  Not sure what our argument is anymore. 

I don't think it's even an issue of car vs. bike infrastructure. Even if you put in a shitload of separate bike lanes and whatnot, I doubt it changes things that much. For a lot of Americans, the closest grocery store is too far and/or the average load of groceries too big to make that trip workable by bike.

KEK Inc.

Quote from: US 89 on April 19, 2022, 12:22:42 AM

I don't think it's even an issue of car vs. bike infrastructure. Even if you put in a shitload of separate bike lanes and whatnot, I doubt it changes things that much. For a lot of Americans, the closest grocery store is too far and/or the average load of groceries too big to make that trip workable by bike.

1950s-era suburban planning around the automobile!

North American suburbs will always be car-dependent mainly by intentional design due to the distances.  Urban cores can and should still be improved to accommodate multimodal transportation.
Take the road less traveled.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: KEK Inc. on April 19, 2022, 12:44:28 AM

For the most part, this is what suburban people want. They don't want a huge supermarket in their backyard. They don't want a small supermarket in their backyard. They want separation from commerical districts. They want it in their town...just not next door.

There are some downtown areas where people can live close to shopping options that they can get to without a car. But being these are vastly outnumbered by "1950s-era suburban planning", it shows what many people actually desire.

ErmineNotyours

Quote from: jeffandnicole on April 19, 2022, 01:20:02 AM

For the most part, this is what suburban people want. They don't want a huge supermarket in their backyard. They don't want a small supermarket in their backyard. They want separation from commerical districts. They want it in their town...just not next door.

There are some downtown areas where people can live close to shopping options that they can get to without a car. But being these are vastly outnumbered by "1950s-era suburban planning", it shows what many people actually desire.

Now that we've pivoted to zoning...

Rothman

North American suburbs will always be car-dependent mainly by intentional design due to the distances.  Urban cores can and should still be improved to accommodate multimodal transportation.
Zoning influences how many grocieries we buy?  I suppose Americans just don't want to go shopping every day.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Rothman

Quote from: Rothman on April 18, 2022, 11:48:21 PM
So...many...unfounded...generalizations...

I have seen more fat tire enthusiasts than skinny tire high performance nuts...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpVncWxyMJw&ab_channel=Propel
False sense of security displayed.  The Netherlands has a high rate of head/brain injuries from cycling accidents and that's with statistics some think are greatly undercounted:

https://www.cycle-helmets.com/netherlands-helmets.html#:~:text=Based%20on%20these%20figures%2C%20the,in%20Australia%20in%202005%2F06.

https://www.dutchnews.nl/news/2021/09/cycling-injuries-three-times-more-than-official-figures/
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

hotdogPi

I live in the suburbs, and I get by without a car. It's healthy to walk 5 miles each day. If the temperature isn't too high or low, and it's not raining, I'lll walk to various places, usually dinner, the grocery store, the pharmacy (these two are 1½ miles away and in the same direction), and/or the bank. When it is too hot or cold or it's raining, I'll take the bus. Near the winter solstice, when it gets dark at 4:30 PM, I'll sometimes walk to dinner and take the bus back. I'll also usually take the bus back if I'm carrying heavy groceries.

Farther away places, such as UMass Lowell and Lahey Hospital in Burlington, are accessible by bus.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

GaryV

Quote from: KEK Inc. on April 18, 2022, 10:57:30 PM
The reason why you see so many people in Europe ride safely without helmets is that most of their infrastructure separates bikes from cars entirely,
So most bike lanes are grade separated from vehicle traffic? Are they elevated or what?

kphoger

Quote from: KEK Inc. on April 18, 2022, 10:57:30 PM
The reason why you see so many people in Europe ride safely without helmets is that most of their infrastructure separates bikes from cars entirely,

Really?  Most of their infrastructure?  I grant you more of their infrastructure does compared to the USA, but that I think saying most is a stretch.

I plopped the GSV peg man down in some random locations in the Netherlands, and it's fairly easy to find things like this:

Schiedam:  Bike lane doesn't avoid conflict with vehicle movements:  https://goo.gl/maps/vmUYbjLvcspEYEQL7
Utrecht:  Cyclist in the middle of the street with no helmet:  https://goo.gl/maps/Uc5n8N2jBPmNpkpw5
Groningen:  Cyclists with no helmets on a narrow street with traffic:  https://goo.gl/maps/uLcgDk1ApShrDDaU7
Noordescheschut:  Cyclist with no helmet stopped in the path of traffic:  https://goo.gl/maps/VrwqHWMCEsiBr8y66
Hoom:  Cyclist and motorcyclists without helmets:  oops, lost the link
Utrecht:  Cyclist in the travel lane with no helmet:  https://goo.gl/maps/8ibhj8RAj6Paj2pZ8
Oss:  Cyclists with no helmets riding with traffic:  https://goo.gl/maps/ScUg5N87jR5PHQZA7
Roosendaal:  Sidewalk, street, it's all good, but no bike lanes and no helmets:  https://goo.gl/maps/a8o1DJSvDi9YEeLj7
Amsterdam:  Kids with no helmets, cycling on the sidewalk:  https://goo.gl/maps/GoHszKuHQLr4wasX7
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

SectorZ

Quote from: kphoger on April 19, 2022, 09:52:17 AM
Roosendaal:  Sidewalk, street, it's all good, but no bike lanes and no helmets:  https://goo.gl/maps/a8o1DJSvDi9YEeLj7

This one right here is the picture I will think of anytime a European calls an American "stupid" for fill-in-the-blank reason.

We all have our dumb choices I guess.

kphoger

Quote from: SectorZ on April 19, 2022, 12:35:03 PM

Quote from: kphoger on April 19, 2022, 09:52:17 AM

This one right here is the picture I will think of anytime a European calls an American "stupid" for fill-in-the-blank reason.

We all have our dumb choices I guess.

If you're referring to the family on the sidewalk, it looks like a dad taking his kids for a "ride".  If you pan up and down, you'll notice he isn't actually riding the bike.  He's just walking the bike along the sidewalk with his kids on it.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Amtrakprod

Quote from: SectorZ on April 18, 2022, 07:21:08 PM
Quote from: Amtrakprod on April 18, 2022, 05:29:04 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on April 16, 2022, 09:28:23 PM
Quote from: Amtrakprod on April 13, 2022, 10:29:26 AM
Quote from: SectorZ on April 12, 2022, 10:26:19 AM
Quote from: 1 on April 12, 2022, 10:12:23 AM
Quote from: kphoger on April 12, 2022, 09:59:44 AM
2 differences:

A.  Pavement coloring.

B.  There's actually enough room for two cars to begin with.

C. Bikes are actually using the street in one of the two photos.

All those enlightened Europeans, not one wearing a helmet...

Because we properly design infrastructure, so it's safe enough to not need to wear a helmet.

Eh, you can have the world's greatest engineers design the world's safest bike lane, and you can still have something like a branch fall on it and a biker go down and hit their head because they weren't paying attention.
Same thing is true for cars, or for pedestrians. If my city had only protected bike lanes and off street paths I would not wear a helmet.

iPhone

Are you serious? Protected bike lanes are still just as dangerous. People walking into your path to get to a car or wherever, hitting large debris because it all ends up near the curb, hitting the curb itself because you're forced to ride right up against it. Getting nailed by someone at an intersection (which is an overwhelming majority of cycling crashes) because you still have intersections. I notice you ignored my comment when responding to everyone else, because you have no logical response to it, other than to double down on saying that off-street paths are a panacea. Personally, I'd like to see you not sustain a head injury because there are a LOT of really f***ing stupid cyclists out there. Pedestrians too.

Fun fact: the only serious injury I've ever had cycling was in my own damn driveway. It was due to avoiding a (parked) car, and being a dumb 14 year old I just played my bets wrong on how to go around it.
Yeah there's always people who say that stuff, but if you bike not crazy fast, separated bike lanes are infact safer.

iPhone
Roadgeek, railfan, and crossing signal fan. From Massachusetts, and in high school. Youtube is my website link. Loves FYAs signals. Interest in Bicycle Infrastructure. Owns one Leotech Pedestrian Signal, and a Safetran Type 1 E bell.

Amtrakprod

I mean Cambridge MA has a law that puts in separated bike lanes, and now mode switch is happening. But you're right, there are other issues like zoning and density.

iPhone
Roadgeek, railfan, and crossing signal fan. From Massachusetts, and in high school. Youtube is my website link. Loves FYAs signals. Interest in Bicycle Infrastructure. Owns one Leotech Pedestrian Signal, and a Safetran Type 1 E bell.

SectorZ

Quote from: Amtrakprod on April 19, 2022, 03:54:10 PM
2 differences:

A.  Pavement coloring.

Because we properly design infrastructure, so it's safe enough to not need to wear a helmet.

Eh, you can have the world's greatest engineers design the world's safest bike lane, and you can still have something like a branch fall on it and a biker go down and hit their head because they weren't paying attention.
Same thing is true for cars, or for pedestrians. If my city had only protected bike lanes and off street paths I would not wear a helmet.

iPhone

Are you serious? Protected bike lanes are still just as dangerous. People walking into your path to get to a car or wherever, hitting large debris because it all ends up near the curb, hitting the curb itself because you're forced to ride right up against it. Getting nailed by someone at an intersection (which is an overwhelming majority of cycling crashes) because you still have intersections. I notice you ignored my comment when responding to everyone else, because you have no logical response to it, other than to double down on saying that off-street paths are a panacea. Personally, I'd like to see you not sustain a head injury because there are a LOT of really f***ing stupid cyclists out there. Pedestrians too.

Fun fact: the only serious injury I've ever had cycling was in my own damn driveway. It was due to avoiding a (parked) car, and being a dumb 14 year old I just played my bets wrong on how to go around it.
Yeah there's always people who say that stuff, but if you bike not crazy fast, separated bike lanes are infact safer.

iPhone

So what is the appropriate speed I or others should be riding in them? What is "crazy fast"? Keep in mind when you answer that second question, cyclists are allowed to ride the speed limit, just like cars.

Amtrakprod

Quote from: SectorZ on April 19, 2022, 04:44:31 PM
Quote from: Amtrakprod on April 19, 2022, 03:54:10 PM
2 differences:

A.  Pavement coloring.

iPhone

iPhone

So what is the appropriate speed I or others should be riding in them? What is "crazy fast"? Keep in mind when you answer that second question, cyclists are allowed to ride the speed limit, just like cars.
I wouldn't exceed 15-20 miles per hour in a separated bike lane. People going faster than that can use a shared lane.

iPhone

mrsman

Quote from: kphoger on April 16, 2022, 06:47:10 PM
That video highlighted something I was thinking about the other day...

This setup is basically no different from a street with no striping at all.  So maybe that's my preferred solution:  just get rid of everything.

I would tend to agree.  No striping would mean that there is two way traffic that would have to slow down to a degree to let cars on the other side pass by.  as is common for many yield streets or other narrow streets.  I guess the only benefit is that the advisory bike lanes mark out a space for bikes, but that space is in the door zone as someone else mentioned.

So if we are talking about a collector street where biking is encouraged, no striping, and perhaps some speed bumps so that cars drive at a speed that is within safe range for cycling.

mrsman

Quote from: fwydriver405 on April 11, 2022, 02:53:03 PM
Quote from: kphoger on April 07, 2022, 09:48:39 AM
Just stripe it like any old street, and then put up some R4-11 signs.

The Washington St off-ramp off of MA Route 28 in Somerville MA used to confuse me initially both as a cyclist and driver - I've noticed on this street drivers will not use both lanes until they get to the signal:

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3814241,-71.0902546,3a,15.3y,173.42h,84.45t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sBl8Wn3Par2QXsJ2yET_8-A!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

A good implementation of what Somerville is trying to accomplish can be found in Long Beach, CA:

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.760341,-118.1349441,3a,37.5y,312.02h,80.07t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sj140DichfmJsNjQtoxRoYQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Green boxed sharrows over the right lane, shows that the right lane is to be shared with cars/bikes and that cars should change lanes to pass bikes.

[Take a look at the April 2016 view to see an even wackier earlly adoption.  A green stripe through the whole lane.  It was probably changed, because people believed that the entire right lane was bikes only, and the city wanted auto traffic to actually use both lanes to avoid back ups.]

Amtrakprod

Quote from: mrsman on June 13, 2022, 11:04:08 PM
Quote from: fwydriver405 on April 11, 2022, 02:53:03 PM
Quote from: kphoger on April 07, 2022, 09:48:39 AM
Just stripe it like any old street, and then put up some R4-11 signs.

The Washington St off-ramp off of MA Route 28 in Somerville MA used to confuse me initially both as a cyclist and driver - I've noticed on this street drivers will not use both lanes until they get to the signal:

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3814241,-71.0902546,3a,15.3y,173.42h,84.45t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sBl8Wn3Par2QXsJ2yET_8-A!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

A good implementation of what Somerville is trying to accomplish can be found in Long Beach, CA:

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.760341,-118.1349441,3a,37.5y,312.02h,80.07t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sj140DichfmJsNjQtoxRoYQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Green boxed sharrows over the right lane, shows that the right lane is to be shared with cars/bikes and that cars should change lanes to pass bikes.

[Take a look at the April 2016 view to see an even wackier earlly adoption.  A green stripe through the whole lane.  It was probably changed, because people believed that the entire right lane was bikes only, and the city wanted auto traffic to actually use both lanes to avoid back ups.]
It's still probably not a comfortable facility though. The city of Cambridge had a set up like that, and in 2020 they switched it to this this year:

iPhone

bcroadguy

Victoria, BC got its first advisory bike lane about a year or two ago. The signage is exactly the same as the ones in the US, including the spelling of center.

I'm not a fan. Unlike the previous two-lane configuration where cyclists were entitled to use the whole lane, they are now supposed to ride in the door zone. Also, like before, it offers no physical protection from cars. In addition, other than making drivers more aware of cyclists by being an unusual configuration that draws attention to them, not much else changes. Two cars travelling in opposite directions will still use the exact same space as before, and a driver passing a cyclist will still be at least partially on the left half of the road. The only thing that changes is, unless there is a car coming in the opposite direction, cars go in the middle.

Advisory bike lanes totally unnecessary. Vancouver has a ton of bike routes that are just regular, usually narrow, residential streets with no line in the middle, but slow down and restrict vehicle traffic by using things like traffic circles, speed bumps, and "mode filters."

mrsman

Quote from: bcroadguy on July 01, 2022, 06:22:03 AM
Victoria, BC got its first advisory bike lane about a year or two ago. The signage is exactly the same as the ones in the US, including the spelling of center.

I'm not a fan. Unlike the previous two-lane configuration where cyclists were entitled to use the whole lane, they are now supposed to ride in the door zone. Also, like before, it offers no physical protection from cars. In addition, other than making drivers more aware of cyclists by being an unusual configuration that draws attention to them, not much else changes. Two cars travelling in opposite directions will still use the exact same space as before, and a driver passing a cyclist will still be at least partially on the left half of the road. The only thing that changes is, unless there is a car coming in the opposite direction, cars go in the middle.

Advisory bike lanes totally unnecessary. Vancouver has a ton of bike routes that are just regular, usually narrow, residential streets with no line in the middle, but slow down and restrict vehicle traffic by using things like traffic circles, speed bumps, and "mode filters."

I agree.  There really are few safety benefits to the arrangement.  if one assumes that car traffic is likely heavier, then the default is to have both directions sharing the same space, and moving to the side so long as bikes aren't present.  Better to just have the cars on different sides of the street.

And you are correct that this doesn't really help bikes as they are basically restricted from using the center of the street, since that space belongs to both directions of car traffic.

THe Vancouver approach is one that makes sense.  On a less busy street, bikes and cars are to share the street.  Traffic calming measures, like road narrowing or speed bumps can help reduce car traffic and/or speeds.   On busier roads, the only solution is a full bike lane (ideally protected) but this generally means taking away 1 or more lanes from driving or parking.

fwydriver405

Advisory bike lanes were recently installed on a portion of Ludlow St in Portland, Maine a few days ago and many people around there are mixed about it (Location). I'll have to take a look at those lanes tomorrow on my way up to Orono.

Quote from: Portland Press HeraldPortland recently painted “advisory bike lanes” on Ludlow Street in Portland. The pattern has been used in cities around the world to improve safety on narrow, low-speed streets with low and moderate traffic. A lack of outreach and a discrepancy between the signage and the stencils on the road have left some users confused about how to navigate the road. Shawn Patrick Ouellette/Staff Photographer

JoePCool14

If that's actually a photo from that street, why are the bike symbols in the car lane? They completely failed here.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

Amtrakprod

Quote from: JoePCool14 on August 27, 2022, 09:44:48 AM
If that's actually a photo from that street, why are the bike symbols in the car lane? They completely failed here.
Agreed. This is confusing !

iPhone

SectorZ

Quote from: JoePCool14 on August 27, 2022, 09:44:48 AM

It's a sharrow with extra steps.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.