News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Illinois Allows Shoulder Riding !

Started by 3467, February 18, 2011, 11:12:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

http://www.wgntv.com/news/wgntv-stevenson-bus-lanes-pace-expressway-commuter-plainfield-chicago-feb18,0,5303557.story

Well for buses on the Stevenson. It is a wide shoulder and sort of relates to the lane width issues on 270 in St Louis and poor boy 4 lanes which convert shoulders to lanes.
For Illinois this is unusual

vdeane

What happens if a car breaks down and needs to use the shoulder?  Do they get run over by the bus?

I find it interesting that the comment says semis drive to fast.  In NY we have the opposite problem: semis typically have their speedometer needle on the speed limit!  It's quite annoying.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

6a

Columbus allows that on I-70 on the east side, as well.  It's been some time since I've been there, but at one time all traffic could use the shoulder during peak hours in DC.  It's interesting because shoulders aren't usually as thick pavement-wise as the rest of the road.

corco

QuoteWhat happens if a car breaks down and needs to use the shoulder?  Do they get run over by the bus?

In some cases it actually becomes illegal to break down- I know that on the old Tacoma Narrows bridge (when there was only one span), you would actually face a hefty fine if you broke down on the bridge.

On WGN TV new they said the buses would only use it during jams I suspect they will be speed limited and have to try to merge if there is a car or wait for the minutemen. Thoose are IDOT trucks that patrol the expressway to clean up accidents and stalls quickly
Believe it or not IDOT pioneered that on and expressway travel times over 30 years ago
Illinois shoulders when paved are pretty solid

wandering drive

The Minneapolis/St. Paul buses can use some of the shoulders, too.  They can only drive on them under certain conditions.  More at www.dot.state.mn.us/metro/teamtransit/docs/bosupdate.pdf

Sykotyk

In Chicago, the speed limits are unnaturally slower than the rate traffic wants to travel. A 55mph speed limit on 294 is way too slow. I believe 90/94 through town is 45 in one stretch (or maybe that was construction) and everybody, cars and trucks, went at least 55 without any inkling of guilt.

I-294 south of town (multiplexing I-80) has a 55 zone, yet everyone goes 60-70, with trucks treating the 'trucks prohibited in two left lanes' as a suggestion, more than a rule.

In NY, the speed limits are adequately set, so less desire to hit the throttle.

hobsini2

You are correct Syk.  Basically from the Fullerton Ave to the Skyway Junction, 90/94 is a posted 45 mph even in the express lanes.  But usually the kennedy is backed up in the daytime from Downtown to the Edens Junction that if you can do 45 your fortunate.
Very rarely do i see anyone doing the posted limit on the Tollways.  And it is usually someone from Ohio.  I hate Ohio troopers by the way.  Bastards gave me a ticket for doing 68 in a 65 zone outside of Columbus.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

vdeane

Quote from: Sykotyk on February 20, 2011, 12:05:28 AM

In NY, the speed limits are adequately set, so less desire to hit the throttle.
Depends on area.  Central NY and downstate do a pretty good job of setting speed limits.  Near Rochester there are some suburban freeways that could easily be 65 but are not (such as I-490 between Penfield Rd and NY 31F).  Up in the north country many two-lane roads could even be increased.  Plus there's the mandatory 30mph zone in a city or village regardless of conditions unless the road is an expressway or freeway.  The Thruway could easily be raised to 70 or even 75 as well in most areas.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

The Premier

Quote from: hobsini2 on February 20, 2011, 12:51:22 AM
I hate Ohio troopers by the way.  Bastards gave me a ticket for doing 68 in a 65 zone outside of Columbus.

That sucks. :thumbdown:
Alex P. Dent

Sykotyk

Were you in the left most lane?

In Ohio, stay to the right (cops sit in the median almost exclusively in Ohio). They also leave their headlights on at night (by the time you see them, though, you're probably already been pegged).

hobsini2

This was at around 5 pm so no headlights were on.  And I was in the right lane on US 33 near the Maryville plant.  He was actually driving the other direction with the afternoon rush traffic.  I was the only car going east.  He also gave me a seat belt ticket.  He was at my window when I took the belt off to lean over to get my vehicle information and came back with the 2nd ticket.  I asked why. He said in Ohio the engine has to be off for me to release my belt.  That's really why I hate Ohio troopers.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.