News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Columbus, Ohio road meet: September 30, 2017

Started by Nikolai, March 25, 2017, 04:51:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Your preferred meet dates?

Saturday, September 30
5 (41.7%)
Sunday, October 1
2 (16.7%)
Saturday, October 14
6 (50%)
Sunday, October 15
4 (33.3%)
Saturday, October 21
4 (33.3%)
Sunday, October 22
5 (41.7%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Voting closed: June 23, 2017, 04:51:50 PM

PHLBOS

I will be attending this meet.  It'll be the first one I've attended in almost 2 years.

I'll be flying in that morning (scheduled arrival time 8:35 AM) & will rent a car.

I'll be staying overnight and will fly back early Sunday afternoon (scheduled departure time 2:10 PM)

For those that are wondering: I'm flying rather than driving due to distance & the fact that I took more time off from work this year (due to 2 recent deaths in the family, those on FB already know); plus I had some Rapid Rewards Points (on Southwest) to use.

I'm looking forward to this meet.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

hbelkins

Trying to figure out if I want to stay in the Grove City area on Friday night and then drive across town to the meet Saturday morning, or stay on the north side of town and be closer to the meet.

The fact that I'll be driving up Friday afternoon and will want to avoid evening rush across town will play a role in my decision unless someone can offer a good suggestion on how to get from the US 23 area on the south side of town to the Worthington area in the afternoon without encountering a traffic nightmare.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

tckma

cl94

Quote from: hbelkins on September 14, 2017, 10:06:05 AM
Trying to figure out if I want to stay in the Grove City area on Friday night and then drive across town to the meet Saturday morning, or stay on the north side of town and be closer to the meet.

The fact that I'll be driving up Friday afternoon and will want to avoid evening rush across town will play a role in my decision unless someone can offer a good suggestion on how to get from the US 23 area on the south side of town to the Worthington area in the afternoon without encountering a traffic nightmare.

Depends entirely on the time of the afternoon. If you're getting to Columbus between 3:30 and 5:30, there is no good way up there, as both 315 and 71 will be messed up, while 270 is a mess on the north side. Get there before then and you'll be fine taking 270 around either side, while you can just shoot up 315 after 5:30-6. From my experience driving through there in recent years, traffic patterns haven't changed much since I lived there (they're just fixing the major choke points now).
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

hbelkins

Quote from: cl94 on September 14, 2017, 12:12:38 PM

Depends entirely on the time of the afternoon. If you're getting to Columbus between 3:30 and 5:30, there is no good way up there, as both 315 and 71 will be messed up, while 270 is a mess on the north side. Get there before then and you'll be fine taking 270 around either side, while you can just shoot up 315 after 5:30-6. From my experience driving through there in recent years, traffic patterns haven't changed much since I lived there (they're just fixing the major choke points now).

I suspect it'll be right at the heart of rush hour.

I have a doctor's appointment that morning, so I expect I'll be leaving my hometown about 11 a.m. My planned route is US 23 once I reach Greenup County, Ky., by taking the direct route involving KY 7, I-64 and KY 67. I want to avoid Cincinnati at all costs because I have not been there in recent years when traffic wasn't a cluster foxtrot.

I'm not opposed to taking some wild out-of-the-way route involving US 22 east out of Circleville, then north on some unknown route and then west on another unknown route, if I opt for Worthington or something else on the north side and not Grove City for my overnight stop. Yes, I'll drive 100 miles out of the way, especially if it's on routes that are new to me, to avoid sitting in gridlock.

cl94

Quote from: hbelkins on September 14, 2017, 01:58:18 PM
I'm not opposed to taking some wild out-of-the-way route involving US 22 east out of Circleville, then north on some unknown route and then west on another unknown route, if I opt for Worthington or something else on the north side and not Grove City for my overnight stop. Yes, I'll drive 100 miles out of the way, especially if it's on routes that are new to me, to avoid sitting in gridlock.

In that case, I have a few options. I'll divide this into sections of the route:

US 23-Lancaster

1. US 22. The simplest option.
2. SR 159. Crosses US 23 just north of Chillicothe and cuts the corner over to Lancaster, ending at US 22 just west of US 33. Little-used route through rural farm country.

Lancaster-Newark

The best way to head north is SR 37 (signed WB). First through route east of the Columbus metro. Intersects US 22 in downtown Lancaster.

Newark-Worthington

West of Newark, SR 37 hops onto a freeway. A few options from here.

1. If after 5:30-6, stay on the freeway, which becomes SR 161. Take SR 161 straight to Worthington or bail onto I-270.
2. Exit the freeway with SR 37, take SR 37/US 36 to US 23 in Delaware and south to Worthington
3. Same as 2, but turn onto SR 3 in Sunbury and take that south. Use Schrock Rd (partially SR 710), I-270 or a combination to get to Worthington.

A route around the west of Columbus
1. Get on SR 56 WB in Circleville, take to US 42 EB. Use SR 161, US 33, SR 745, SR 257 or US 23 to get to the Columbus metro
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

hbelkins

Quote from: cl94 on September 14, 2017, 02:24:57 PM
1. If after 5:30-6, stay on the freeway, which becomes SR 161. Take SR 161 straight to Worthington or bail onto I-270.

Westbound (inbound) on 161 wouldn't be bad during rush, would it? I'd be going against the flow.

cl94

Quote from: hbelkins on September 14, 2017, 03:27:33 PM
Quote from: cl94 on September 14, 2017, 02:24:57 PM

Westbound (inbound) on 161 wouldn't be bad during rush, would it? I'd be going against the flow.

You'd be fine until you're inside 270. 270-1/2 mile west of 71 is 4-lane divided with frontage roads and signals every 1/5 mile or so, won't be too bad except for volume. West of there is 2 lane and can get congested. You could cut up Busch Blvd (SR 710) and use back roads if your hotel is near 270/23 on the north side. 270 is generally congested on the north side and will be until the projects north of 161 are finished. If you stay somewhere in Westerville, you'd be exiting 161 or 270 before the trouble spots.

AsphaltPlanet

Google maps has a "typical traffic" layer on it's maps that might be of assistance to you in planning your trip.  you can access it by clicking the "live traffic" button on the legend on the lower part of the screen.  Here is typical traffic at 5:20 on a friday:

AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

I'll keep it simple for you. Just follow US 23/High St. north through Columbus.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

bandit957

I don't think I can make it, because I'm not this big ball of energy.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

Brandon

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

hbelkins

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on September 15, 2017, 06:40:38 PM

It won't be dog-knotted with traffic, especially downtown?

cl94

Quote from: hbelkins on September 16, 2017, 04:08:17 PM

It will be, hence why I didn't suggest you go that way. US 23 is better than High Street (it's a couple blocks east from I-70 to Morse Rd), but it's still miserable.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: hbelkins on September 16, 2017, 04:08:17 PM

You are going against flow till you get past Broad St. And even then, you have a couple of blocks before traffic becomes a mess (starting at Nationwide Blvd).

You could stay on High St. north to Long St. east to Cleveland Ave north to 5th Ave west to 4th St north to Hudson St west back to High St. north on to Worthington.
Is this free flowing on a Friday night? Hell, no! Will you be stuck in gridlock? Hell, no! (Now overturn a semi on any of the freeways and all bets are off).

That said, if timing is of the essence, just spend the night in Grove City. It'll be a twenty to thirty minute drive up to Polaris/Westerville in the morning with no potential issues along I-71.

Brandon

Traffic?  It's Columbus, not Chicago for Pete's sake.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

hbelkins

Quote from: Brandon on September 16, 2017, 10:46:44 PM
Traffic?  It's Columbus, not Chicago for Pete's sake.

You forget just how impatient I am with traffic. Trying to get out of Frankfort at 4:30 is aggravating enough for me.

froggie

In fairness, HB, this is something that you're just going to have to live/deal with if you ever pop out of southeastern Kentucky.  If you can't deal with it, perhaps you shouldn't go.

hbelkins

Quote from: froggie on September 17, 2017, 06:35:29 AM
In fairness, HB, this is something that you're just going to have to live/deal with if you ever pop out of southeastern Kentucky.  If you can't deal with it, perhaps you shouldn't go.

Southeastern Kentucky isn't immune to it. Sometimes I wonder where all the traffic that can be found along KY 15 in Jackson is coming from. Believe it or not, I've sat in half-mile backups more times than I care to count.

A.J. Bertin

Hey Nikolai - when do you need a final decision from everyone about whether we're definitely attending or not?
-A.J. from Michigan

Nikolai

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on September 18, 2017, 10:21:27 PM
Hey Nikolai - when do you need a final decision from everyone about whether we're definitely attending or not?

A couple days before the meet should suffice.

Duke87

Already mentioned on FB, but - I'll be there.

So will my 3DS, by the way (it goes everywhere with me).
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

US71

99 percent unlikely, unless a miracle occurs. Want to, but unlikely.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Tentative forecast for Saturday....
65 and partly sunny. 10-15% chance of showers in the morning.
We'll see if this holds forth.

hbelkins

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on September 16, 2017, 10:20:57 PM
That said, if timing is of the essence, just spend the night in Grove City. It'll be a twenty to thirty minute drive up to Polaris/Westerville in the morning with no potential issues along I-71.

I opted to reserve in Grove City for a variety of reasons. But I'll probably come up 315 instead of staying on 71. I've driven both in the past and prefer 315.

Planned route is US 23 north to the state route that turns left off 23 somewhere south of I-270 (665, I think) to 104 to Stringtown Road. I can't foresee any real advantage to taking 104 all the way north out of Portsmouth. That route was recommended to me several years ago as an alternative to 23, for reasons long-forgotten, and I ended up getting a speeding ticket on 104.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.