News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Streets that should be Arterials/expressways

Started by Buffaboy, January 09, 2016, 05:20:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D-Dey65

Quote from: mariethefoxy on January 11, 2016, 01:37:33 PM
Sunrise Highway west of where the freeway section ends to about downtown Freeport, at the very least between NY 109 and Sunrise Mall/Unqua Road intersection.
I'd go straight into Queens with that.

I'd also choose NY 347, and expand it into the Long Island Expressway, NY 454, Suffolk CR 97, Suffolk CR 83 north of the Bicycle Path interchange, Suffolk CR 99 east from Suffolk CR 101, Suffolk CR 46, Suffolk CR 48, Suffolk CR 105... aw hell, you people have seen my list of upgrades before.

ukfan758

Kentucky State Highway 80 in the western part (not sure about the southern end), it is a newly built four lane highway that does not have hardly any driveways and intersections. It is also one of the fastest non-expressways in the state at 65mph.

Plutonic Panda

I think Broadway(SH 77) in Edmond, Oklahoma should be an expressway with 2 through tunnels under the intersections at 33rd and 15th. I would toll the tunnels and remove a ton of curb cuts and you could even do some service roads in a few areas of make the road 8 lanes with 2 for local traffic and 2 for through traffic to the Broadway extension though there would still be same grade access to it. The median is huge, so it shouldn't be that hard.

mariethefoxy

Quote from: D-Dey65 on February 02, 2016, 01:46:04 AM
Sunrise Highway west of where the freeway section ends to about downtown Freeport, at the very least between NY 109 and Sunrise Mall/Unqua Road intersection.

I'd also choose NY 347, and expand it into the Long Island Expressway, NY 454, Suffolk CR 97, Suffolk CR 83 north of the Bicycle Path interchange, Suffolk CR 99 east from Suffolk CR 101, Suffolk CR 46, Suffolk CR 48, Suffolk CR 105... aw hell, you people have seen my list of upgrades before.

oh yea 347 definitely should have gotten the jersey freeway treatment, not the half ass thing they did to "improve it"

Nichols Road should be a full freeway, it is for most of its length and theres still ROW on both sides for them to do so its just suffolk county couldn't afford to do it that way initially for the entire length.

North Ocean Ave and William Floyd Parkway are a bit more challenging to upgrade to full freeway standards since they built up so much around them.

Why CR 99 (Woodside Ave)? that thing seems over designed in the area by the IRS facility in Holtville.

I forget what CR 46 is, is that the one thats also Truck 25 in the North Fork? That thing im just happy it has the divided highway section it does because I HATE getting stuck behind slow pokes en route to the ferry, and they took out the broken yellow line on NY 25 further east.

105 i dunno, is traffic really THAT bad in that area? seems so far out.

DeaconG

Quote from: roadman65 on January 09, 2016, 08:57:08 PM
Kirkman Road in Orlando near Universal Studios.  It needs to be grade separated at Major Boulevard, International Drive, Vineland Road, and Conroy Road.  Those intersections are consecutive and have long waits at them 

The one at Major and Vineland should have been done by Universal Studios as most of the traffic that passes through those two intersections are from the theme parks so with all the money they have, they could have splurged years ago, but did not.

Agreed, but we know they won't. Neither will they consider either John Young Parkway (Oh I WISH!) or Sand Lake Road, both which need some limited access interchanges badly but nowhere to put them without knocking down lots of businesses.

The idea of making US 192 in Melbourne a limited access has been floated, but nothing came of it unfortunately. Wickham Road needs it desperately but neither Viera nor Suntree would allow it up to I-95, so that doesn't work.

And don't even get me started on the dumb *** county commissioners that allowed housing to encroach upon the access from the Pineda to I-95. It wasn't like they weren't told (I remember reading the article in Florida Today in the mid 90s before Wickham was a complete arterial all the way up and several people mentioned it, the reply from the commission was basically "shrug"), but when developers wave money in your face, well...
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

mariethefoxy

Northern Suburban Atlanta is the WORST with that sorta thing, they overbuilt up the areas and the main arterials are still narrow two lane highways that are probably in the same configuration they were when it was all forest and farms.

mrsman

Quote from: D-Dey65 on February 02, 2016, 01:46:04 AM

I agree, the south shore needs a truck route just like the north shore.  If the Belt can be upgraded to truck-friendly from the Verrazano to Sunrise Hwy, and with Sunrise Hwy being more freeway-like through Nassau and Suffolk, this can be a great way to remove a lot of trucks from other arterials, especially in Brooklyn and Queens.

mrsman

Quote from: DTComposer on January 30, 2016, 10:42:00 AM
Quote from: bing101 on January 18, 2016, 12:56:02 PM
CA-19 Lakewood Blvd in the Los Angeles area should be classified as an expressway

Why? It's original functionality was replaced by I-710 and I-605 (which run parallel to it 3 miles or less on either side), and since it runs through the CBDs of Lakewood, Downey and Pico Rivera, I don't think it would be feasible construction-wise.

Now take the Rosemead Boulevard portion of CA-19 (i.e. hidden CA-164) - although there are similar issues with business districts and such - that makes more sense, particularly while it seems the I-710 gap issue will never be resolved.

I would say that many of the Pacific Electric corridors that are not too close to existing freeways have enought right of way to become more expressway like.  (I'm thinking similar to the "expressways" in the San Jose area).  Definitely consider San Vicente (West LA), Hawthorne Blvd (South Bay), and Huntington Drive (LA to Arcadia) as good candidates for upgrades.

TXtoNJ

Every major road going N-S in west Houston. Right now, they're a weird hybrid of arterial and local collector street. Of course, this would involve condemning a whole bunch of houses, so I don't think it'll happen any time soon.

D-Dey65

Quote from: mariethefoxy on February 22, 2016, 07:37:50 PM
oh yea 347 definitely should have gotten the jersey freeway treatment, not the half ass thing they did to "improve it"
No, not simply a Jersey Freeway. I'm talking total limited-access from NY 25A to the Long Island Expressway between Exits 55 and 56.

Nichols Road should be a full freeway, it is for most of its length and theres still ROW on both sides for them to do so its just suffolk county couldn't afford to do it that way initially for the entire length.
Actually, it should be one for all of it's length.

North Ocean Ave and William Floyd Parkway are a bit more challenging to upgrade to full freeway standards since they built up so much around them.
If they stop building all that other stuff around it, they won't have that challenge.

Why CR 99 (Woodside Ave)? that thing seems over designed in the area by the IRS facility in Holtville.
They also originally built the interchange at Horse Block Road with a wide median and turning ramps indicating a future upgrade that should've been built. At Patchogue-Holbrook Road, there's also an extra stub-ramp, which also indicates a future upgrade that should've been built.

I forget what CR 46 is, is that the one thats also Truck 25 in the North Fork? That thing im just happy it has the divided highway section it does because I HATE getting stuck behind slow pokes en route to the ferry, and they took out the broken yellow line on NY 25 further east.
No, that's CR 48. CR 46 is William Floyd Parkway.

105 i dunno, is traffic really THAT bad in that area? seems so far out.
It's not great, but either way it was intended to be upgraded, and should be. They have interchanges at Indian Island State Park (although not all of it), they should exist at CR 104, NY 24, and NY 25 too.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.