News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Does this interchange type exist anywhere else?

Started by hotdogPi, April 25, 2016, 03:54:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotdogPi

This interchange seems extremely simple, but it seems like this isn't found anywhere else.

This image uses the Google Maps API.

(For reference, this is in Massachusetts. I-93 is marked, and the dashed line at the top right corner is the MA/NH border.)
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

froggie

None that I know of.  Nor is such a design encouraged due to the weaving issues caused by the two ramps merging and diverging.

NE2

SR 60 at SR 589 in Tampa was a squished version with left exits: http://ufdc.ufl.edu/UF00071755/00028/14x

There are probably some in countries like the UK that have a bunch of roundabouts.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Mapmikey

I'm sure weaving occurs in practice but theoretically there is only 1 lane between ramp converge/diverge.  The ramp from 93 SB is supposed to yield to the ramp from 213 WB...

But I am also drawing a blank on anywhere that does this in a simplistic interchange like that...

lordsutch

Quote from: NE2 on April 25, 2016, 04:27:18 PM
There are probably some in countries like the UK that have a bunch of roundabouts.

Apropos this, the M32 at M4 interchange is effectively like this (although obviously a lower-speed affair, being a roundabout). More surprisingly, M5 at M50 isn't (although it was downgraded from a free-flow interchange to provide access to/from the south for no particular reason, apparently).

Sykotyk

One overpass and the weaving, etc is gone. Seems like the 213 ramps were done by the state on the cheap.

shadyjay

Mass. has a love affair with rotaries.  This is as close as you can get to a full rotary with a freeway-to-freeway connection.

Kacie Jane

Quote from: Mapmikey on April 25, 2016, 04:28:49 PM
I'm sure weaving occurs in practice but theoretically there is only 1 lane between ramp converge/diverge.  The ramp from 93 SB is supposed to yield to the ramp from 213 WB...

Are you sure that's correct? It seems counterintuitive to me.  If it were a cloverleaf weave, entering traffic (from 213 WB) would yield to exiting traffic (from 91 SB).

jakeroot

Quote from: Kacie Jane on April 26, 2016, 04:33:44 PM

Are you sure that's correct? It seems counterintuitive to me.  If it were a cloverleaf weave, entering traffic (from 213 WB) would yield to exiting traffic (from 91 SB).

I think the interchange is meant to resemble a typical rotary, hence the yield signs for traffic exiting 93 SB: https://goo.gl/mTbVkE.

Truvelo

One was planned in the UK exactly like the I-93 example in the original post. This map is from 1970 but it was eventually built 20 years later as a roundabout.

Speed limits limit life

bzakharin

There is something similar in spirit, though a lot more complicated, going on here:
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.5266846,-74.3370103,16z

noelbotevera

Do you mind if you can clarify the movements? I can't quite make heads or tails about it.

I'm not quite sure if that's what you're looking for, but I'll see if I can't dig up something more of what you're asking for.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

webfil

SectorZ

Quote from: Kacie Jane on April 26, 2016, 04:33:44 PM

As someone who has driven through this dozens of times, I can confirm the traffic entering from 93 S/B is supposed to yield. Most don't, but that's the traffic obligated to yield entering.

1995hoo

Quote from: lordsutch on April 25, 2016, 04:52:34 PM
Quote from: NE2 on April 25, 2016, 04:27:18 PM

Apropos this, the M32 at M4 interchange is effectively like this (although obviously a lower-speed affair, being a roundabout). More surprisingly, M5 at M50 isn't (although it was downgraded from a free-flow interchange to provide access to/from the south for no particular reason, apparently).

I've driven through the M32/M4 one. Once upon a time it was a full roundabout, but by 2007 they'd blocked off the southwest side and it's now essentially a teardrop (M4 traffic cannot use it to reverse direction). If you look at the satellite view you'll see the closed-off piece.

(Edited to fix typo)
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

english si

Quote from: lordsutch on April 25, 2016, 04:52:34 PMMore surprisingly, M5 at M50 isn't (although it was downgraded from a free-flow interchange to provide access to/from the south for no particular reason, apparently).
They removed the free-flow as 1960-spec trumpet loop was dangerous (capsized lorries galore), and the weaving between the sliproads for the services and the junction was bad.

The south-facing sliproads of the service area merge into the north-facing sliproads of the junction, hence why the junction doesn't look like this sort of one with a teardrop shape.

The M27/M271 roundabout was proposed to be a modified one (southern side of the roundabout closing, just like the M4/M32 one), but that was so controversial that the proposal was never formalised.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.