News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

New Jersey

Started by Alps, September 17, 2013, 07:00:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeffy

Supposedly, there are plans to convert the Whitehorse Circle in Hamilton into a roundabout, to hopefully start as early as 2016, as stated by this article:

QuotePlans for a modern roundabout, in which all motorists yield to traffic within the circle, got a boost last week when the DOT announced it had fast-tracked the project, with construction scheduled to begin in 2016.

Located at the intersection of South Broad Street, White Horse Avenue and Route 206, motorists navigating the current circle configuration must pay close attention to shifting rights of way and traffic coming from multiple directions.

"People that know the area don't have a problem navigating that circle. The problem is, Route 206 and an entrance off Interstate 195 means people are coming in from major gateways who aren't used to it," Mercer County Executive Brian Hughes said last week. "It's going to take a long while to do, but it will increase the safety tenfold."

The DOT announcement came one day after The Times reported that the project was seemingly stuck in limbo, still two years away from construction.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

J Route Z

Finally, a circle into a roundabout..what's the difference?

roadman65

Quote from: Zeffy on March 30, 2015, 10:45:06 AM
I noticed that GMSV has some updated 2014 photos of Newark Airport roadways as well. Classic nostalgia being able to read those signs again.
I noticed that they still have the list of Airport exits sign on the McCellan Street overpass with only one exit left since the airport exits for the Terminals and South area were moved before the sign.  Classic sign, but the brown outs defeat its purpose now.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

jeffandnicole

Quote from: J Route Z on March 31, 2015, 07:06:29 PM
Finally, a circle into a roundabout..what's the difference?

It was a circle in name only.  206 North literally make a left cutting thru middle of the 'circle'.  533 also involved a left to get to Broad Street EB. Traffic on Broad Street going west never actually had to turn as they skimmed the edge of the circle.

Of the four legs that approach the circle, there's actually 5 different entrance points into the circle. While one leg (533) has a stop sign, none of the other 4 entrance points have to yield. Yet, there's 7(!!!) different yield points throughout the circle.

There's some bad circles in this state. This one is just comical, as if NJDOT had some award for the most fucked up way to design an intersection.

roadman65

That was always a screwy intersection.  I am surprised that NJDOT let it survive this long.

Anyway speaking of circles I was noticing that the Netcong Circle has been gone for some time now finally.  The google car has not visited there yet, but the map and satellite image shows the new 4 way intersection created plus an article claims that the rebuilt the NJ 183 bridge over the NJ Transit track as part of the reconfiguration.  I wonder if, though, they got rid of those signs that show US 206 and NJ 183 as concurrent through there? 

Sheryl Crowe

NJRoadfan

You can actually make a left turn into the circle from White Horse Ave....... I'm guessing people stop before entering regardless.

SteveG1988

NJDOT seems to be going through a signal replacement spree on NJ route 38 from US206 to Mt Holly. A few 3M M-131's are along this stretch of 38.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

jeffandnicole

Quote from: SteveG1988 on April 01, 2015, 09:07:10 AM
NJDOT seems to be going through a signal replacement spree on NJ route 38 from US206 to Mt Holly. A few 3M M-131's are along this stretch of 38.

Yep.

http://www.state.nj.us/transportation/business/procurement/ConstrServ/documents/BidTabs14130.pdf

See Page 21, where line item #113 shows the bids for 13 Optically Programmed LED Traffic Signal Heads.  They appear to cost about 4x the price of a normal traffic light.

SteveG1988

I should snap some photos of the older 3m ones
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

signalman

Quote from: roadman65 on March 31, 2015, 10:05:54 PM
That was always a screwy intersection.  I am surprised that NJDOT let it survive this long.

Anyway speaking of circles I was noticing that the Netcong Circle has been gone for some time now finally.  The google car has not visited there yet, but the map and satellite image shows the new 4 way intersection created plus an article claims that the rebuilt the NJ 183 bridge over the NJ Transit track as part of the reconfiguration.  I wonder if, though, they got rid of those signs that show US 206 and NJ 183 as concurrent through there? 
Yes, they're gone.  Going west on 46, 206 south turns left at the intersection; which is a protected movement.  183 north (old 206, but no mention of it) turns right.

J Route Z

Quote from: jeffandnicole on April 01, 2015, 09:47:56 AM
Quote from: SteveG1988 on April 01, 2015, 09:07:10 AM

Yep.

http://www.state.nj.us/transportation/business/procurement/ConstrServ/documents/BidTabs14130.pdf

See Page 21, where line item #113 shows the bids for 13 Optically Programmed LED Traffic Signal Heads.  They appear to cost about 4x the price of a normal traffic light.
How does one access the pages for other projects statewide ?

NJRoadfan

roadman65

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.580991,-74.602898,3a,75y,345.13h,76.41t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sOYEWLQ55d8wxH15iuBSCvg!2e0
A mileage sign I witnessed for every day of my life whenever my parents would take me to visit my aunt in Bridgewater.  I always found it fascinating that two of the sign's control points are along US 202 and not US 22 that the sign is on.

This particular assembly always stood right before the exit for North Bridge Street on the westbound side of the highway.  I always liked the fact that it recognized motorists planning to exit US 22 West onto US 202 South as there are plenty who do that here especially with traffic originating from I-287 North who use Exit 14.  However, after reading the history of NJ highways and their previous numbering something else came into notice for me.

US 22 here was NJ 29, and so was US 202 from Somerville to Lambertville also part of NJ 29 running from Trenton to Newark in a roundabout way in the original numbering scheme in the Garden State.  I often wonder if this sign is remnants of that era when indeed this was NJ Route 29 and this particular sign was copied over.

In addition so is a sign at the Flemington Traffic Circle where US 202 Northbound exits the circle it had for many years Somerville and Newark as control cities.  The "Newark" I had often assumed it had to do with most traffic heading north on US 202 from Flemington was bound for US 22 East to Newark, but now I often wonder if it too was leftovers from when NJ 29 passed through Flemington.

Sheryl Crowe

storm2k

Quote from: roadman65 on April 09, 2015, 01:14:13 PM
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.580991,-74.602898,3a,75y,345.13h,76.41t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sOYEWLQ55d8wxH15iuBSCvg!2e0
A mileage sign I witnessed for every day of my life whenever my parents would take me to visit my aunt in Bridgewater.  I always found it fascinating that two of the sign's control points are along US 202 and not US 22 that the sign is on.

This particular assembly always stood right before the exit for North Bridge Street on the westbound side of the highway.  I always liked the fact that it recognized motorists planning to exit US 22 West onto US 202 South as there are plenty who do that here especially with traffic originating from I-287 North who use Exit 14.  However, after reading the history of NJ highways and their previous numbering something else came into notice for me.

US 22 here was NJ 29, and so was US 202 from Somerville to Lambertville also part of NJ 29 running from Trenton to Newark in a roundabout way in the original numbering scheme in the Garden State.  I often wonder if this sign is remnants of that era when indeed this was NJ Route 29 and this particular sign was copied over.

In addition so is a sign at the Flemington Traffic Circle where US 202 Northbound exits the circle it had for many years Somerville and Newark as control cities.  The "Newark" I had often assumed it had to do with most traffic heading north on US 202 from Flemington was bound for US 22 East to Newark, but now I often wonder if it too was leftovers from when NJ 29 passed through Flemington.

You know, I've spent most of my life driving past this sign and never thought about this. I think it would make sense that it's a hold over from the older NJ-29 routing. Kind of surprised that this never changed because that sign is only about 10-15 years old or so.

roadman65

It, I believe, is a recent replacement.  If I remember this to be correct it used to be 29 miles to Lambertville and not 26 as this sign now says.

Anyway, NJDOT about the time you suggested this assembly was replaced placed another sign just past the SB US 202/206 exit ramp.  So now there are two mileage signs within 2 miles of each other.  The newer signs that NJDOT have erected since 1998, presently show strategic control cities along them with locations on the routes proper.
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.582659,-74.623692,3a,75y,332.46h,83.27t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1s6OZIK1DcZBOolA_yfF7A2g!2e0
No more newer mileage signs with other route control points.  If any they are copied over like this one.  The newer signs also have the state name abbreviation of out of state locations like PA on this other assembly for Easton.

What interests me is why this assembly is placed before the merge of SB US 202/206 instead of after it.  The same goes for a mileage sign on US 202 in Flemington.  It has a mileage sign for Lambertville and Solebury, PA right as you enter the Flemington Circle instead of after you leave it as well.  Whoever looks after NJ's mileage signs happens to be careless! https://www.google.com/maps/@40.50333,-74.851621,3a,75y,284.64h,89.92t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sEZir3ZCUeR8BqsZj9w_rNA!2e0

Sheryl Crowe

Zeffy

I always thought they listed Flemington on the mileage signs because of the junction with Route 31 which leads directly into Flemington's "downtown" area. A lot of motorists take 22 to 31 based on my travels instead of continuing on to I-78 and the Pennsylvania border.

Of course, now that you mention it, if this is a remnant of the old NJ 29 routing, then it's certainly an interesting question.

Unrelated, it appears that the Pulaski Skyway Rehabilitation Project's estimated completion date will be pushed back until later in 2016 following the discovery of rusted steel beams.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Mr. Matté

Below is a link to a story about a risky section of Route 23 where the river runs down the middle of the median.

tl;dr: They didn't fix the superelevation of the road's curves when it was converted from a two-way to a two-lane one-way road.

http://www.northjersey.com/news/route-23-long-known-as-a-dangerous-road-1.1308119?page=all

roadman65

Say no more as I read the article.  Yes the northbound lanes are very winding and have a 40 mph speed limit compared to its southbound counterpart which is set at 50 mph and was built more straight.

I always thought that NJDOT did a bad job on that one, but never knew it was that bad in the left lane there.  I always remembered old widening projects where a completely new alignment was built later used for one side of the road's traffic, the original road was never touched as suppose to now.  Currently we have a new carriageway added, we then shift both lanes of traffic on to the new road and completely rehabilitate the old road including now replacing old bridges and total regrading of the original roadway.

I always assumed that was the norm all along, but I guess with more traffic on the road we tend to overlook things like this and I think NJDOT did this one for sure. 

Sheryl Crowe

02 Park Ave

What is the particular phenomenon which causes the wind speed to be higher for the northbound lanes than it is for the southbound lanes? 
C-o-H

roadman65

Quote from: 02 Park Ave on April 14, 2015, 04:36:07 PM
What is the particular phenomenon which causes the wind speed to be higher for the northbound lanes than it is for the southbound lanes? 
I mean the fact the road is winding not wind gusts.  Another common misconception just like those people  who say dubba you for the letter "W" instead of double you. 

Sheryl Crowe

signalman

Quote from: roadman65 on April 14, 2015, 12:47:14 PM
Say no more as I read the article.  Yes the northbound lanes are very winding and have a 40 mph speed limit compared to its southbound counterpart which is set at 50 mph and was built more straight.
Southbound is 55.

roadman65

Quote from: signalman on April 14, 2015, 05:06:10 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on April 14, 2015, 12:47:14 PM
Southbound is 55.
Must of changed as I always remembered it as being 50 there.  It was always 55 on NJ 23 from Newfoundland  southward to where the two carriageways split just south of Echo Lake Road.

New Jersey was always big on the 50's in many areas including Route 22 east of Washington Avenue in Green Brook where it is 50 all the way east to New Providence Road in Mountainside where it is no different than the area west of Washington Avenue. 

Sheryl Crowe

signalman

Quote from: roadman65 on April 14, 2015, 05:13:08 PM
Must of changed as I always remembered it as being 50 there.  It was always 55 on NJ 23 from Newfoundland  southward to where the two carriageways split just south of Echo Lake Road.
Southbound remains 55 until the Hamburg Turnpike exit, it then drops to 50 through Kinnelon and Butler.  I believe it then briefly drops to 45 around I-287, then goes back up to 50.

roadman65

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.024425,-74.408387,3a,75y,161.01h,88.31t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sFxsEaz4-s93O4dzftKpbag!2e0

GSV shows a 50 mph sign south of where the two carriageways split near the West Milford- Kinnelon Line.  Now this was only back in 2009 according to the date on the caption, so that 55 you talk about was rather recently.

Sheryl Crowe

signalman

I stand corrected.  I should have checked before commenting.  I could have sworn it stayed 55 further south.  In fairness, it's not like me or many other motorists are obeying the limit.  Traffic tends to move 55-65 until just before Butler.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.