News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

New Jersey

Started by Alps, September 17, 2013, 07:00:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ixnay

Why is the ramp from NB 95 to SB U.S. 1 near Quaker Bridge Mall closed?

ixnay

odditude

Quote from: ixnay on January 23, 2017, 07:48:00 AM

ixnay

They've been doing construction on that interchange on Saturdays during the day time; that's probably the intersection of the "lowest cost" and "least impact to communters" curves. Hopefully they're rehabbing the pavement, because it's sucked for a while.

jeffandnicole

ixnay

Closed until early March for ramp deck reconstruction. http://www.state.nj.us/transportation/about/press/2017/011017.shtm

akotchi

Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 23, 2017, 08:24:53 AM

ixnay

Closed until early March for ramp deck reconstruction. http://www.state.nj.us/transportation/about/press/2017/011017.shtm

This ramp is right outside my office.  Very little traffic uses it -- I am part of "very little traffic" in the evening -- so it made sense to close.

The structure is actually on the common part of the ramp (carrying traffic to both directions of U.S. 1) -- only the right half (to SB) is closed off.  I am curious to see how the traffic pattern will be handled for the other half of the work (Stage 2).  The NB ramp carries the lion's share of traffic exiting I-95.

Longer queues are evident for exiting traffic during both peak periods because of the narrowed width of the ramp at the closure.
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

Alps

Quote from: akotchi on January 23, 2017, 10:18:38 AM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 23, 2017, 08:24:53 AM

ixnay

This ramp is right outside my office.  Very little traffic uses it -- I am part of "very little traffic" in the evening -- so it made sense to close.

The structure is actually on the common part of the ramp (carrying traffic to both directions of U.S. 1) -- only the right half (to SB) is closed off.  I am curious to see how the traffic pattern will be handled for the other half of the work (Stage 2).  The NB ramp carries the lion's share of traffic exiting I-95.

Longer queues are evident for exiting traffic during both peak periods because of the narrowed width of the ramp at the closure.
There must be some way to shift the NB traffic over so that it can use the other half, is my guess.

akotchi

^^ My guess would be temporary pavement and ramp nose reconstruction to execute that shift.
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

jeffandnicole

A public meeting will be coming up on Feb. 15 regarding the next phase of the Rt. 206 Bypass in Hillsborough.

http://www.state.nj.us/transportation/community/meetings/documents/handout021517mh.pdf

It's stated construction should start around Spring, 2018.

storm2k

Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 25, 2017, 12:22:01 PM
A public meeting will be coming up on Feb. 15 regarding the next phase of the Rt. 206 Bypass in Hillsborough.

http://www.state.nj.us/transportation/community/meetings/documents/handout021517mh.pdf

It's stated construction should start around Spring, 2018.

it's good to see that they're finally moving on this again. would be nice if they had a plan to expand to 4 lanes from old somerville up to brown ave, where they did the 4 laning back in '99. sadly, the csx overpass remains in the way.

ixnay

In Aug. 2016, the turnaround from EB to WB NJ 72 as you touch down in Ship Bottom looked like this...

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.6529885,-74.183541,3a,75y,44.13h,86.95t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sKUBT8IOcihBvgllRdWHfhA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Anyone know why?  Reconstruction of LBI's welcoming plaza?

ixnay

odditude

Spotted some new signage on I-95 around Trenton. All of the signage for exits 8A/8B in both directions have been replaced with new signs that underline "Princeton Pike," omit the CR 583 shield and instead provide a destination.

For example, the exit 8A sign shown here has been replaced with:

EXIT 8A
Princeton Pike
SOUTH
Trenton
1/4 MILE
Can't say I'm a fan.

storm2k

Quote from: odditude on February 12, 2017, 02:20:07 PM
Spotted some new signage on I-95 around Trenton. All of the signage for exits 8A/8B in both directions have been replaced with new signs that underline "Princeton Pike," omit the CR 583 shield and instead provide a destination.

EXIT 8A
Princeton Pike
SOUTH
Trenton
1/4 MILE
Can't say I'm a fan.

That surprises me. I would have figured they would update the signs with the CR-583 shields and a destination and not a road name to be more MUTCD compliant.

storm2k

So I rode through the Lincoln Tunnel a couple of weeks ago because I needed to drive into the city to go to work on a weekend. A good portion of the fancy new LED lights in all the tubes are already failing. I was a bit perplexed as to why, but I saw this article late last week which explores the problem.

Quote"The tunnel was built with light fixtures that are recessed into the concrete, fixtures that must still be used today, to prevent the lights from being hit by buses and trucks," he said. "Unfortunately, heat builds up within the fixtures."

The heat build-up is affecting the LEDs, resulting in flickering lights and burnouts, he said. Heat problems also shortened the lifespan of high-pressure sodium bulbs the LEDs replaced, Buccino said.

I would think their best bet would be to switch to ribbon style lighting like the Holland does. Stays out of the way, doesn't burn out so quickly.

Mr. Matté

Quote from: storm2k on February 13, 2017, 11:45:31 AM

EXIT 8A
Princeton Pike
SOUTH
Trenton
1/4 MILE
Can't say I'm a fan.

That surprises me. I would have figured they would update the signs with the CR-583 shields and a destination and not a road name to be more MUTCD compliant.

Perhaps they finally realized that CR 583 isn't really a county route. Except for the county-maintained portion between Calhoun Street in/around Trenton and Lawrenceville Road (US 206) (which according to the state is ironically a state road), it's all Lawrence Township and Princeton's jurisdiction (even dating back to the 1950s).

Alps

Quote from: Mr. Matté on February 13, 2017, 12:57:31 PM

EXIT 8A
Princeton Pike
SOUTH
Trenton
1/4 MILE
Can't say I'm a fan.

Perhaps they finally realized that CR 583 isn't really a county route. Except for the county-maintained portion between Calhoun Street in/around Trenton and Lawrenceville Road (US 206) (which according to the state is ironically a state road), it's all Lawrence Township and Princeton's jurisdiction (even dating back to the 1950s).
Holy shit, never noticed that before. You sure don't notice it from roadside features.

odditude

Lawrenceville Road (US 206) (which according to the state is ironically a state road)
to NJ, all State, US, and Interstate highways are considered "state roads" and are internally referred to as simply "route x".

jeffandnicole

Quote from: odditude on February 14, 2017, 10:41:55 AM
Lawrenceville Road (US 206) (which according to the state is ironically a state road)
to NJ, all State, US, and Interstate highways are considered "state roads" and are internally referred to as simply "route x".

Is that true of every state?  It's not like there's a separate group of federal maintenance and construction crews that do work for Interstates or US routes in other states.  The only differences would be who maintains the road.  The feds could technically maintain a US or Interstate if it enters their jurisdiction, but they could also maintain a county route as well. (for Example, NJ 68 and CR 616 in Fort Dix)

bzakharin

EXIT 8A
Princeton Pike
SOUTH
Trenton
1/4 MILE
Can't say I'm a fan.

What difference does it make whether it's "really" a county route? If it's signed with county markers, it's useful to have the shield on signs. A better question would be how many people know the county numbers? In most cases the answer is not many, but then every single county route would have to be removed and replaced by the street name. Clearly they are not doing that.

PHLBOS

Quote from: bzakharin on February 14, 2017, 12:38:22 PMIf it's signed with county markers, it's useful to have the shield on signs. A better question would be how many people know the county numbers? In most cases the answer is not many, but then every single county route would have to be removed and replaced by the street name. Clearly they are not doing that.
In general (yes, I'm aware there are exceptions), if the CR route is 5XX; the markers are included on the main signs (including BGS').  If the CR is 6XX or 7XX; such are usually not included (exceptions depend on the individual county).

The fact that CR 583 shields weren't included on the latest BGS' certainly gives hint of a potential decommission or truncation of the route.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

storm2k

EXIT 8A
Princeton Pike
SOUTH
Trenton
1/4 MILE
Can't say I'm a fan.

The state technically considers the 5XX routes to be state secondary highways, but they are county maintained. So it's technically a state road.

Mr. Matté

The point of my post was that Princeton Pike itself is not a county-maintained road except on a part which is designated a U.S. highway, typically maintained by the state through NJDOT (hence "state route"). Except for a couple of shields between Olden and Calhoun, Mercer County does not post any 583 shields; the ones north of those roads are around state-maintained intersections (206, 95, 27) and are posted by the state.

This board and semantics sometimes...

roadman65

Quote from: Mr. Matté on February 14, 2017, 06:14:25 PM
The point of my post was that Princeton Pike itself is not a county-maintained road except on a part which is designated a U.S. highway, typically maintained by the state through NJDOT (hence "state route"). Except for a couple of shields between Olden and Calhoun, Mercer County does not post any 583 shields; the ones north of those roads are around state-maintained intersections (206, 95, 27) and are posted by the state.

This board and semantics sometimes...
Well now they have just joined Hudson County in their signing on the 95 freeway.  Just road names and leave off the route number like in North Bergen/ Union City on Route 495 with keeping CR 501 a secret.  Plus does Hudson County even sign themselves any part of JFK as Route 501?  Only CR 508 is signed on NJ 7 and I-280.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

NJRoadfan

The only CR-501 markers I've seen in Hudson County are at NJ-495..... placed by NJDOT.

Alps

Quote from: NJRoadfan on February 15, 2017, 08:16:51 PM
The only CR-501 markers I've seen in Hudson County are at NJ-495..... placed by NJDOT.
They're also down in Bayonne - not just at 440 either.

roadman65

Wow NJDOT finally added shields for JFK Blvd's ramp!  That is amazing.  Considering that for centuries it was always like this https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7752937,-74.0394143,3a,75y,90.17h,99.08t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sRCWqtx9y4HicyphADtaUmA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1  and never signed.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

NJRoadfan

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.