News:

why is this up in the corner now

Main Menu

New Jersey

Started by Alps, September 17, 2013, 07:00:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

Quote from: Pete from Boston on December 17, 2017, 08:44:45 PM
Seen elsewhere on the internet with no particularly good context: supposedly 1939, "near Newark."  This could conceivably be anywhere in North Jersey.  Anyone recognize this spot, 78 years later?

That looks for all the world like US 1 in the Brunswicks, which is not very near Newark.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: Alps on December 17, 2017, 08:48:51 PM
Seen elsewhere on the internet with no particularly good context: supposedly 1939, "near Newark."  This could conceivably be anywhere in North Jersey.  Anyone recognize this spot, 78 years later?

That looks for all the world like US 1 in the Brunswicks, which is not very near Newark.

That's a good guess.  Someone also said 17 in Ramsey/USR, but I don't think the sight line is this great there.

NE2

Maybe US 22 near Plainfield? I think the median might be too wide though.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Roadgeek Adam

Quote from: NE2 on December 17, 2017, 11:51:06 PM
Maybe US 22 near Plainfield? I think the median might be too wide though.

US 22 is flat through that stretch. I like 1 through North and South Brunswick (likely the latter)
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

Alps

Quote from: Pete from Boston on December 17, 2017, 11:45:06 PM
Quote from: Alps on December 17, 2017, 08:48:51 PM

That's a good guess.  Someone also said 17 in Ramsey/USR, but I don't think the sight line is this great there.
Keep in mind 17 in the 1930s had no development. It would be tough to recognize this scene today. But with power lines on both sides, I'm sticking with 1 and that hill at Sand Hills Road.

jeffandnicole

Present day scene on US 1 at Sand Hills Rd: https://goo.gl/maps/vaZW2vgGf6U2

A glance at Historic Aerials, looking at a 1940's shot, does confirm the wide grassy median (unfortunately they're smart and won't let you link directly to the image, as they'll rather you purchase it instead).

seicer

The curb cut shown at left matches what's there now, but not the drainage catch just above it.

NE2

Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 18, 2017, 08:33:17 AM
A glance at Historic Aerials, looking at a 1940's shot, does confirm the wide grassy median (unfortunately they're smart and won't let you link directly to the image, as they'll rather you purchase it instead).
If you click the twitter logo you can copy a direct link.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Mapmikey

Pretty sure it is here:  https://goo.gl/maps/AM5c2EGvXX82

Storm drain on left, one on the right slightly ahead and right before the guard rail starts, just like in the 1939 photo.

Historic aerials show a few properties on the east side that are no longer there and would be why the curb cut is not there now...

roadman65

Elizabeth and Newark do not have the sight lines as in the photo as well as the wavy topography.  It has to be in South Brunswick where it is straight.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

jeffandnicole

The ever-delayed 295/42 Missing Moves project appears to have had a little consulting work done in the form of a simulated flyover.  This perspective in the link below provides a birds-eye view from 42 North to 295 South. It also shows several improvements that'll be completed elsewhere, including the new entrance/exit from 42 North to Creek Road (actually Benigno Blvd), and a new roundabout traffic will utilize between 42 South and Creek Road. 

http://www.rdvsystems.com/portfolio/i295-missing-moves-nj/

This simulation appears quite new.  The original design had the takeoff/landing points for the ramp on 295 south of the Creek Road overpass.  This simulation shows the takeoff/landing points north of the overpass.  I had known about this change, but not familiar with why they're doing it.  It shortens the ramp a little bit, but threads it between two buildings and requires rebuilding the Creek Road overpass.

bzakharin

So 295 South would be exit 14A and 295 North would be 1B? That's not confusing at all!

Alps

Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 21, 2017, 01:48:07 PM
The ever-delayed 295/42 Missing Moves project appears to have had a little consulting work done in the form of a simulated flyover.  This perspective in the link below provides a birds-eye view from 42 North to 295 South. It also shows several improvements that'll be completed elsewhere, including the new entrance/exit from 42 North to Creek Road (actually Benigno Blvd), and a new roundabout traffic will utilize between 42 South and Creek Road. 

This simulation appears quite new.  The original design had the takeoff/landing points for the ramp on 295 south of the Creek Road overpass.  This simulation shows the takeoff/landing points north of the overpass.  I had known about this change, but not familiar with why they're doing it.  It shortens the ramp a little bit, but threads it between two buildings and requires rebuilding the Creek Road overpass.

Probably to free up more of the development land. We looked at both solutions as well back in the day. The roundabout, to me, doesn't make nearly as much sense as what we looked at: a one way pair along Harding and Coolidge.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Alps on December 21, 2017, 05:40:59 PM

Probably to free up more of the development land. We looked at both solutions as well back in the day. The roundabout, to me, doesn't make nearly as much sense as what we looked at: a one way pair along Harding and Coolidge.

I recall the days when they said they wouldn't reconstruct the main interchange until these ramps were completed. It's going to be the opposite if they don't quit pushing this project back.

On the east side of the Creek Rd. interchange, that's how I thought they should've treated Wellwood and Edgewood...as a dual pair of one-way roads.

ekt8750

Quote from: bzakharin on December 21, 2017, 02:52:42 PM
So 295 South would be exit 14A and 295 North would be 1B? That's not confusing at all!

Unless 76 gets extended, that's the way it would have to be. Exit 14 for Creek Rd is between those two so it would have to take on 42's exit number.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: ekt8750 on December 21, 2017, 07:28:17 PM
Quote from: bzakharin on December 21, 2017, 02:52:42 PM

Unless 76 gets extended, that's the way it would have to be. Exit 14 for Creek Rd is between those two so it would have to take on 42's exit number.

Technically, it should go 1A (for 295 South, matching 76 East's exit numbering, then 14 (Creek Rd) then 1B (295 North). 

Not confusing at all either! LOL

cpzilliacus

Via Transportation.Org: NJDOT News -- I-95 to be redesignated as I-295 in Mercer County starting in 2018

QuoteNew Jersey Department of Transportation (NJDOT) officials today announced the section of what is now I-95 in New Jersey from the Scudder Falls Bridge over the Delaware River to the Route 1 Interchange in Mercer County will be redesignated as I-295 in early 2018.

QuoteThis change is part of a larger project in which a new interchange is being constructed to connect I-95 to I-276/Pennsylvania Turnpike in Bristol Township, Pennsylvania. The Pennsylvania Turnpike connects to the New Jersey Turnpike at Interchange 6 via the New Jersey Turnpike Pearl Harbor Memorial Turnpike Extension in Florence, New Jersey. When the new I-95/Pennsylvania Turnpike interchange is completed in Bristol, these highways will be redesignated as I-95, which will create a continuous I-95 from Pennsylvania through New Jersey.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Mergingtraffic

I-287/I-78 interchange map improvements

http://www.state.nj.us/transportation/commuter/roads/I287I78interchange/pdf/projectmap.pdf

I see this is like CT, I bet the flyover ramp was complained about so they did a loop right?
Even though it takes up MORE space.

I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

Alps

Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 21, 2017, 06:40:11 PM

I recall the days when they said they wouldn't reconstruct the main interchange until these ramps were completed. It's going to be the opposite if they don't quit pushing this project back.

On the east side of the Creek Rd. interchange, that's how I thought they should've treated Wellwood and Edgewood...as a dual pair of one-way roads.
We looked at a variety of different scenarios on the east side, and that was certainly one of them. I think there were issues with WB storage on Creek between Wellwood and Edgewood. The preference was to maintain Edgewood as the connection.

Alps

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on December 21, 2017, 09:20:59 PM

http://www.state.nj.us/transportation/commuter/roads/I287I78interchange/pdf/projectmap.pdf

I see this is like CT, I bet the flyover ramp was complained about so they did a loop right?

No no no. I-78 EB to I-287 NB remains the high-speed connection that it is now. Anything other than a loop for I-78 EB to 202/206 would require additional work to fit in the interchange and isn't really necessary.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Alps on December 21, 2017, 09:32:04 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 21, 2017, 06:40:11 PM

We looked at a variety of different scenarios on the east side, and that was certainly one of them. I think there were issues with WB storage on Creek between Wellwood and Edgewood. The preference was to maintain Edgewood as the connection.

I want a recount on that preference!

I don't go by here too often especially at rush hour, but the volume of traffic going up Edgewood to Creek was spilling out onto Rt. 42 yesterday.  I'll have to go this way a few more times if this is an everyday occurrence or a one-time thing...but based on increasing traffic volumes, this is probably more the norm.

While future planned construction will relocate the Creek Rd. exit, we're looking at 5+ years away.

storm2k

Quote from: Alps on December 21, 2017, 09:32:35 PM
Quote from: Mergingtraffic on December 21, 2017, 09:20:59 PM

No no no. I-78 EB to I-287 NB remains the high-speed connection that it is now. Anything other than a loop for I-78 EB to 202/206 would require additional work to fit in the interchange and isn't really necessary.

My understanding was that the whole point of this project was driven by eliminating the left-hand entrance ramp onto 287NB from 78EB and moving it to a right hand ramp so that there would be less weaving both of trucks needing to get out of the left lane and also for traffic trying to fly over to get off at 202-206?? This includes getting rid of the existing ramp and moving it so it flys over 287NB and loops around where that unused ramp exists. Part of why they're moving the 287NB to 78EB ramp to make room for this (and improve its geometry). Or am I wrong?

storm2k

I-95 in Mercer County to be renamed I-295 in early 2018, several exit numbers to change

QuoteIn early 2018, the highway between the Scudders Falls Bridge and Route 1 will be redesignated part of I-295.

QuoteSeven interchanges in New Jersey and four interchanges in Pennsylvania will be renumbered as part of the project. Four exits on I-195 in Hamilton will be renumbered to match the I-195 milepost numbering.

Article has a nice graphic showing all the numbering changes on both the NJ and PA sides of the project. Due to the way the road loops, exits will continue to count up on the NJ side (old exit 1 will be 76), but count down in PA. I assume PA will sign the directions as SB from the river to the new PATP interchange.

Also, they're finally fixing one of my pet peeves!!! The 195 ramps to 295 will be signed with proper exit numbers reflecting 195's numbering, not 295! That's bothered me for 20+ years now!

jeffandnicole

Quote from: storm2k on December 22, 2017, 12:04:06 PM
I-95 in Mercer County to be renamed I-295 in early 2018, several exit numbers to change
Article has a nice graphic showing all the numbering changes on both the NJ and PA sides of the project. Due to the way the road loops, exits will continue to count up on the NJ side (old exit 1 will be 76), but count down in PA. I assume PA will sign the directions as SB from the river to the new PATP interchange.

The legend in the lower left corner, in orange, shows that 295 in PA will be signed East/West.  East will be mostly North; West will be mostly South.

vdeane

IMO they should have used east-west for the portion in NJ that's presently I-95, with the PA portion remaining north-south.  Having PA be east-west where the road doesn't even remotely resemble a diagonal or an east-west route is probably the stupidest part of the whole plan.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.