News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

New Jersey

Started by Alps, September 17, 2013, 07:00:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

On another subject, but definitely NJ, the City of Easton in PA is been a control city for a number of years on US 22 westbound from Somerville and westward.  Now its NJDOT's chosen destination from I-287 as all new signs erected in the 90's replace "Clinton" with that, however being the best route into that particular city from I-78 is from Exit 3 at Still Valley and to use US 22 through Phillipsburg to reach it.  Yet, no signs there nor is it a control city for the exit.

NJDOT uses both Phillipsburg and Alpha instead.  IMO, I think Alpha should be replaced with Easton and another sign approaching Exit 3 should read "Easton Next 2 Exits" giving drivers a choice of having two exits instead of given only one option as currently is with the exit just beyond the Delaware River Bridge Toll Plaza which brings you to Easton in sort of a roundabout way.

Should Easton really be added to Exit 3 in addition to the current only signed exit for that city located in PA?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

storm2k

Quote from: roadman65 on July 06, 2019, 12:47:45 AM
On another subject, but definitely NJ, the City of Easton in PA is been a control city for a number of years on US 22 westbound from Somerville and westward.  Now its NJDOT's chosen destination from I-287 as all new signs erected in the 90's replace "Clinton" with that, however being the best route into that particular city from I-78 is from Exit 3 at Still Valley and to use US 22 through Phillipsburg to reach it.  Yet, no signs there nor is it a control city for the exit.

NJDOT uses both Phillipsburg and Alpha instead.  IMO, I think Alpha should be replaced with Easton and another sign approaching Exit 3 should read "Easton Next 2 Exits" giving drivers a choice of having two exits instead of given only one option as currently is with the exit just beyond the Delaware River Bridge Toll Plaza which brings you to Easton in sort of a roundabout way.

Should Easton really be added to Exit 3 in addition to the current only signed exit for that city located in PA?

Are you talking about 78 and not 287? The signs for 21B (287 NB to 78 WB) have used Easton as the control city since 1997. Thru signs on 78WB through the 287 interchange still use P'Burg, though. I do kind of wish that (1) NJDOT would standardize on control cities like the NJTA did, and (2) just sign 22 and 78 EB as Newark and New York consistently. 22 ends in Newark, and 78 is a major route in and out of there. This isn't even accounting for the baffling choice to use Kearney as the control city on the replaced overhead pullthru on 280 EB at Eisenhower Pkwy.

Alps

Quote from: storm2k on July 06, 2019, 01:18:17 AM

Are you talking about 78 and not 287? The signs for 21B (287 NB to 78 WB) have used Easton as the control city since 1997. Thru signs on 78WB through the 287 interchange still use P'Burg, though. I do kind of wish that (1) NJDOT would standardize on control cities like the NJTA did, and (2) just sign 22 and 78 EB as Newark and New York consistently. 22 ends in Newark, and 78 is a major route in and out of there. This isn't even accounting for the baffling choice to use Kearney as the control city on the replaced overhead pullthru on 280 EB at Eisenhower Pkwy.
I think he's saying that 287 to 22w is signed Easton now. I agree with Clinton for this case. Easton makes more sense for 78 which is looking for the next sizable town.

roadman65

Quote from: storm2k on July 06, 2019, 01:18:17 AM

No Exit 3 exit guide in Still Valley I am referring to. Just replace Alpha with Easton and give that city two WB exits instead of the one.

Sheryl Crowe

roadman65

Also saw a 1962 map of NJ from Esso.   Noticed that I-95 was once considered to be the Trenton Freeway and have another chosen alignment then that would be east of US 1 and end at the Turnpike south of Exit 9 in East Brunswick.

In addition found out why US 206 NB is on Brunswick Avenue instead of Princeton Avenue like SB US 206 is in Trenton. In 1962 US 206 SB was also aligned on Brunswick Avenue as Broad Street was two ways back then.  So when the city decided to turn to make Broad and Warren a one way couplet it then created the awkward situation at NJ 31 making SB US 206 a dead end, so NJ asked to have it moved signed in current Princeton which was US 1 Alternate then.  US 1 Alternate had its alignment there always as that was US 1 pre Trenton Freeway so NB US 1A continued as it was as it still could be continuous at NJ 31 where Broad meets Princeton Avenue.

I know that is an oddity that was in some minds even though not top priority to know the answer but when seeing that map it sure was interesting and to see other things come clear like that.  Apparently all things have a good reason despite appearances.

Sheryl Crowe

artmalk

This isn't even accounting for the baffling choice to use Kearney as the control city on the replaced overhead pullthru on 280 EB at Eisenhower Pkwy.
[/quote]

Otherwise, it's a good sign, using the NJTP and 95 shields together.  But even though Kearney is the eastern terminus of 280 it makes no sense to skip over The Oranges and Newark, especially because they are on every other sign.  On the westbound side, I was very happy that NJDOT chose my hometown of Parsippany, the western terminus of 280, as a control city.  It's the first time Parsippany appeared as a control city for 280 West.   West of Newark, there are a lot of small BGS's just showing 280 West with no control city at all.  So far, the signs at Eisenhower Parkway are the only new ones showing Kearney and Parsippany.

roadman65

Yes Kearny is like CT using Newark for SB I-95 from New Haven.   Newark should be EB and yes Parsippany is okay for the west direction as the road ends there.  Because I-80 itself has no real big places from I-280 to Youngstown, OH, to just use Parsippany is wise.

Sheryl Crowe

storm2k

Quote from: artmalk on July 06, 2019, 12:15:02 PM
This isn't even accounting for the baffling choice to use Kearney as the control city on the replaced overhead pullthru on 280 EB at Eisenhower Pkwy.

Otherwise, it's a good sign, using the NJTP and 95 shields together.  But even though Kearney is the eastern terminus of 280 it makes no sense to skip over The Oranges and Newark, especially because they are on every other sign.  On the westbound side, I was very happy that NJDOT chose my hometown of Parsippany, the western terminus of 280, as a control city.  It's the first time Parsippany appeared as a control city for 280 West.   West of Newark, there are a lot of small BGS's just showing 280 West with no control city at all.  So far, the signs at Eisenhower Parkway are the only new ones showing Kearney and Parsippany.
[/quote]

Yes, they are the only replaced signs. I don't think NJDOT is in a rush to replace the overhead structures at any other exit thru that stretch. The signs themselves were all replaced in the late 90s or early aughts in that area, and most of the signs from the Oranges on eastward were replaced in 2011. Parsippany is a good control city for 280 WB after getting out of the Oranges. It's a major commuter city these days with so many office buildings and the like over there.

roadman65

Most interstate junctions these days make good control cities and Kearney is where I-95 and I-280 meet, but Newark (even though outside the city limits) is close enough to be considered the actual meeting place of the two.  Its obvious some engineer or contractor did not see the whole picture and thought out only the final destination of the road.   However, in Newark on NJ 21 for decades Kearney was not even used as Harrison and Jersey City always graced the ramp EB.  Now with the NJ 21 interchange revamped, I am not sure what the new signs say for those ramps, so it too might be Kearney.

Sheryl Crowe

famartin

Newark, as the largest location along the route, should definitely be listed as the control city for whatever direction on I-280 gets you there. I'm cool with including Kearney in addition to Newark. 

However, NJDOT seems to enjoy using the final municipal destination along the roadway in NJ.  Hence "Perth Amboy" and "Mahwah" on I-287, even though I-287 changes to NJ 440 before reaching Perth Amboy, and even though very few people are likely actually going to Mahwah. That said, usually NJDOT substitutes "Morristown" where it makes sense, and they should use the same standard on I-280 to substitute "Newark".

roadman65

NYSDOT changed New England for Rye on their part of I-287 too.  Even though New England is not a city and forbidden by MUTCD, New Haven (being most traffic heads north on I-95 once it ends) should really be used.  However, I-287 terminates in Rye so it gets Rye instead.

I think Albany should be used for I-287 N Bound instead of Mahwah.  Morristown is fine and so is Perth Amboy even though it does not officially go there, but NJ 440 does.

Right Kearney should be used if it is with Newark.  The signs on I-80 at Exit 47 do state "The Oranges, Newark" and that is why also Kearney surprises me there as well.

On I-78 I have no real issue with Easton being used going WB from NYC, but being Allentown is PA's third largest city, and the largest of the region it should be used now as Easton was only picked because US 22 used that destination as it was most fitting for it.  Remember up until Spring 1990, I-78 ended at Exit 3 and defaulted onto US 22, so the few guides I-78 did have used Easton as well.  Though I-287 up until 1997 used Clinton for it as that also was the control for US 22 west of Somerville, so a lot of I-78 was influenced by US 22 in signing.  I only wish all freeway ramps for interstates would include control cities as NJDOT has no problem signing them on other roads especially at grade intersections or expressway interchanges like Route 4 etc.

Sheryl Crowe

famartin

This is fantasy somewhat, but if I was in charge of NJDOT control cities, this is what I'd use.

76: Walt Whitman Bridge/Philadelphia, Camden, Atlantic City
78: Allentown, Newark, Holland Tunnel/New York City
80: Scranton, Paterson, G W Bridge/New York City
95: Philadelphia, Newark, G W Bridge/New York City
195: Trenton, Belmar
278: Linden, Elizabeth, Goethals Bridge/Staten Island
280: Piscataway, Newark, Kearney
287: Perth Amboy, Morristown, Suffern
295: Wilmington, Camden, Trenton, Princeton, Philadelphia
676: Ben Franklin Bridge/Philadelphia, Camden, Atlantic City

Roadgeek Adam

It's Kearny. Kearny not Kearney. The one with the extra e is Keasbey.

[/former NJ resident who wants to move back and is watching his brain bleed with this typo]
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

famartin

Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on July 08, 2019, 02:13:37 PM

[/former NJ resident who wants to move back and is watching his brain bleed with this typo]
Sorry, always mix that up
(Otherwise, likewise)

roadman65

Quote from: famartin on July 08, 2019, 03:11:06 PM
Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on July 08, 2019, 02:13:37 PM

Sorry, always mix that up
(Otherwise, likewise)
Named after Phillip Kearny a Civil War general.  However in Nebraska you could spell it that way as I am sure its not named for Phillip like the Town in Hudson County, NJ.

Sheryl Crowe

storm2k

Quote from: famartin on July 08, 2019, 12:49:28 PM
This is fantasy somewhat, but if I was in charge of NJDOT control cities, this is what I'd use.

For 280, do you mean Parsippany instead of Piscataway?
Del Water Gap is fine for 80's western end. Been that way for a while.
Easton's a big enough city right over the bridge from NJ that it makes better sense for 78 even if it skirts just south of the city itself.

jeffandnicole

Where's the fantasy?  Everything bolded is used as a control city.

famartin

Quote from: storm2k on July 09, 2019, 01:48:51 AM

For 280, do you mean Parsippany instead of Piscataway?
Del Water Gap is fine for 80's western end. Been that way for a while.
Easton's a big enough city right over the bridge from NJ that it makes better sense for 78 even if it skirts just south of the city itself.
Lol yes Parsippany.

Del Water Gap isn't a city, so I disagree as to it being fine... Allentown is much more important than Easton. Let's use destinations people actually live at.

PHLBOS

Quote from: jeffandnicole on July 09, 2019, 06:16:46 AM

Where's the fantasy?  Everything bolded is used as a control city.
FTFY
GPS does NOT equal GOD

roadman65

Easton is fine, but being Allentown is more of population center it now should be the place.  In fact if US 22 never existed and I-78 was built from scratch Allentown would more likely to have been signs.  Easton being signed for I-78 really ahs nothing to do with Easton being also a role in the Lehigh Valley's population, but cause it was used on US 22 for decades before the interstate highway was built.

The same happens in Las Vegas for I-15 using Los Angeles as a control city over San Diego where the road actually goes.  NVDOT basically copied over from the old US 91 that actually went to the LA area over San Diego as it was US 395 that went there which I-15 took over as at Riverside the new interstate deviated from its follower north of there.

I do not mind Easton overall but I think its time to move on with the times and Allentown is a better choice.

Sheryl Crowe

PHLBOS

Quote from: famartin on July 09, 2019, 06:58:57 AMAllentown is much more important than Easton.
Allentown stops being an I-78 eastbound control city once one reaches Exit 51 (the US 22 split); three interchanges east of that split serve the Allentown area.  Easton isn't used as an I-78 eastbound control city until one is just south of Bethlehem (PA 412/Exit 67).

On the NJ-side, Easton isn't even used on any of the I-78 westbound signage.  It's Phillipsburg up until one reaches Exit 3 (US 22/NJ 122/173).  At that location; Pennsylvania is used.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

famartin

roadman65

Quote from: PHLBOS on July 09, 2019, 04:53:26 PM
Quote from: famartin on July 09, 2019, 06:58:57 AMAllentown is much more important than Easton.
Allentown stops being an I-78 eastbound control city once one reaches Exit 51 (the US 22 split); three interchanges east of that split serve the Allentown area.  Easton isn't used as an I-78 eastbound control city until one is just south of Bethlehem (PA 412/Exit 67).

On the NJ-side, Easton isn't even used on any of the I-78 westbound signage.  It's Phillipsburg up until one reaches Exit 3 (US 22/NJ 122/173).  At that location; Pennsylvania is used.
I-287 uses Easton and there is the ramp from CR 527 in Summit.  Plus Diamond Hill Road in Berkeley Heights had Easton since 1884.

Sheryl Crowe

vdeane

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.