News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

New Jersey

Started by Alps, September 17, 2013, 07:00:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

Quote from: Mapmikey on April 18, 2021, 06:53:34 PM
Took a ride around the southern half of NJ yesterday.

In addition to some brand new US 48 shields on US 40 WB, the best things I found were some really old destination signs like this - https://goo.gl/maps/uZFD5jz4TC9QwEgH8

How common is this style of sign today?  I found 4 examples at 3 intersections SE of Salem.  Didn't notice them anywhere else...

Also found even older signs like this -  https://goo.gl/maps/nUZ4dBRZ6FMneLr18
Salem Co. is where they're still holding on most, but you'll find isolated ones in neighboring counties as well. US 48 is noteworthy.

roadman65

I see according to GSV that three bridges related to US 22 in Hillside have or are being replaced as this moment goes.  I see the Bloy Street overpass is being totally replaced as well as the RIRO connection.  However, the old trolley bridge at the Hillside- Newark Line is still up and not been torn down despite its the same age as the Bloy Street Bridge.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Roadgeek Adam

It's low priority and unused. At most it would just be torn down. Most likely if pieces start coming down it will come down.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

Alps

Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on April 20, 2021, 12:08:13 AM
It's low priority and unused. At most it would just be torn down. Most likely if pieces start coming down it will come down.
I can only speak for the bridge I have worked on, but traffic loads = deterioriation. Abandoned bridge = no deterioration and is still in fine condition.

roadman65

Yeah figured so much that it's lack of use. Also the road salt over the decades I am sure caused the bridges in use to deteriorate as well.

Sheryl Crowe

roadman65

I was noticing that NJ DOT still signs NJ 24 at the NJ 124 and 82 junction for NJ 124 EB.  Considering that was in place before 1986 which was when the 5 Mile  Reservation Gap was completed for I-78 so WB I-78 had to be signed for Route 24 then.  However, now that can be changed and especially NJ 124 just came from NJ 24 at Millburn, it's not really relevant any more.  Plus GSV shows no mention of Morris Avenue transitioning from Route 124 into Route 82. Only CR 577 is mentioned but no NJ 82 shields.

Then with the lack of missing movements at NJ 124 to I-78 EB (Springfield Ave) there should be signs at Vauxhall Road from NJ 124 directing motorists of interest for I-78 EB  to turn onto Vauxhall Road. After all both Exits on I-78 for Vauxhall ( WB) and Rte124 (EB) are technically one interchange hence why Vauxhall Road has no ramps either to WB I-78 as well.  So NJDOT needs to have TO I-78 shields for local traffic to find the way to the direction of travel created by the missing ramps.

They need to assign an engineer to travel statewide to fix issues like these still addressing the past and to pick up on damaged or missing shields too.

Sheryl Crowe

jeffandnicole

Quote from: roadman65 on April 19, 2021, 11:28:09 PM
I see according to GSV that three bridges related to US 22 in Hillside have or are being replaced as this moment goes.  I see the Bloy Street overpass is being totally replaced as well as the RIRO connection.  However, the old trolley bridge at the Hillside- Newark Line is still up and not been torn down despite its the same age as the Bloy Street Bridge.

Per a press release at the beginning of construction, it references replacing the Bloy Street Overpass, but this one, along with another press release, don't mention anything regarding the trolley bridge.  https://www.state.nj.us/transportation/uploads/comm/news/details/comm_np_20191227_103213_2019-12-27_Route_22_Hilldale_Place-_North_Broad_Street_Replacement_Project_begins.pdf

In a brief view of the bids for the project, it references a line item for clearing structure 2004-152, which is the Bloy Street overpass. I didn't see any other structure clearing line items.  https://www.state.nj.us/transportation/business/procurement/ConstrServ/documents/BidTabsDP19142.pdf , Page 38.

roadman65

Hopefully they will remove Irvington as control city for the connector. To me it's useless as you have to use many different roads to reach Irvington. Signing it Hillside Avenue to N. Broad Street would do fine.

Sheryl Crowe

Alps

Quote from: jeffandnicole on April 20, 2021, 02:06:24 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on April 19, 2021, 11:28:09 PM

Per a press release at the beginning of construction, it references replacing the Bloy Street Overpass, but this one, along with another press release, don't mention anything regarding the trolley bridge.  https://www.state.nj.us/transportation/uploads/comm/news/details/comm_np_20191227_103213_2019-12-27_Route_22_Hilldale_Place-_North_Broad_Street_Replacement_Project_begins.pdf

In a brief view of the bids for the project, it references a line item for clearing structure 2004-152, which is the Bloy Street overpass. I didn't see any other structure clearing line items.  https://www.state.nj.us/transportation/business/procurement/ConstrServ/documents/BidTabsDP19142.pdf , Page 38.
Only Bloy and Hilldale right now.

storm2k

Quote from: roadman65 on April 20, 2021, 02:04:55 PM
I was noticing that NJ DOT still signs NJ 24 at the NJ 124 and 82 junction for NJ 124 EB.  Considering that was in place before 1986 which was when the 5 Mile  Reservation Gap was completed for I-78 so WB I-78 had to be signed for Route 24 then.  However, now that can be changed and especially NJ 124 just came from NJ 24 at Millburn, it's not really relevant any more.  Plus GSV shows no mention of Morris Avenue transitioning from Route 124 into Route 82. Only CR 577 is mentioned but no NJ 82 shields.

Then with the lack of missing movements at NJ 124 to I-78 EB (Springfield Ave) there should be signs at Vauxhall Road from NJ 124 directing motorists of interest for I-78 EB  to turn onto Vauxhall Road. After all both Exits on I-78 for Vauxhall ( WB) and Rte124 (EB) are technically one interchange hence why Vauxhall Road has no ramps either to WB I-78 as well.  So NJDOT needs to have TO I-78 shields for local traffic to find the way to the direction of travel created by the missing ramps.

They need to assign an engineer to travel statewide to fix issues like these still addressing the past and to pick up on damaged or missing shields too.

I presume you're referring to this assembly? If you follow the loop around to Springfield Ave, you'll see that the 78 overheads properly refer to "To-NJ24" since the ramp feeds onto the local lanes which has the exit to to 24 only a mile or so ahead of this onramp, so it's not that out of place. The only thing that would have been more proper would have been a To plate and also include a 78 shield in the assembly. Other than that, I have no issue with it.

Would agree they could do better with 82 reassurance markers. There aren't proper ones posted until a mile down the road when drivers are well into Union by that point. However, the roadway did get full enhanced milemarkers and all of the overhead streetsign blades at traffic lights do reference the  route number pretty much everywhere.

akotchi

So what would roadgeeks look for if all these issues were corrected?   :biggrin:
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

roadman65

Quote from: akotchi on April 21, 2021, 09:42:06 AM
So what would roadgeeks look for if all these issues were corrected?   :biggrin:

Lol!

I noticed that on Exit 141 SB for Vauxhall Road a stop light is been added.  You think that the Exit 141 guide now would add US 22 E Bound to it instead of having you exit at Exit 140B and get lost being the u turn at NJ 82 East is not signed for the interest of motorists for US 22 EB except in the gore.

Sheryl Crowe

ixnay

Quote from: Mapmikey on April 18, 2021, 06:53:34 PM
Took a ride around the southern half of NJ yesterday.

In addition to some brand new US 48 shields on US 40 WB

You mean the former NJ 48 has federal funding now?  US 48 has two widely separated segments now a la US 2?

ixnay

ixnay

Per Google Satellite, I count 13 movable bridges on the Passaic River (2 of which appear to be on abandoned rail lines).  Does the Passaic get much ship traffic?

ixnay

roadman65

Quote from: ixnay on April 24, 2021, 07:38:16 AM
Per Google Satellite, I count 13 movable bridges on the Passaic River (2 of which appear to be on abandoned rail lines).  Does the Passaic get much ship traffic?

ixnay

Considering NJDOT removed the drawspan on Route 3 for a fixed span during the widening of that particular route as well as interchange modifications with Route 21, I would say no.

Sheryl Crowe

Alps

Quote from: roadman65 on April 24, 2021, 11:39:27 AM
Quote from: ixnay on April 24, 2021, 07:38:16 AM

ixnay

Considering NJDOT removed the drawspan on Route 3 for a fixed span during the widening of that particular route as well as interchange modifications with Route 21, I would say no.
Yeah, it did when they were built.

storm2k

Drove on 280 for the first time in a while today. It looks like they're doing some bridge work in spot places west of Pleasant Valley Way all the way out to 80. Looks like this will include new overhead structures at Exits 6 and 5A-B. Which means they're finally replacing the overhead structure that came down at 5B (if you look at the GSV, you can see the posts, but the truss has been gone for I think 10ish years?). Will also be curious if the new signs use the same interesting pullthru that they installed at Eisenhower Pkwy when that was replaced two years ago. WB uses Parsippany and includes a "to 80" shield, and the EB uses Kearney as a control city (which makes zero sense to me since Newark is more important and 280 passes through the heart of it) with 95/Turnpike shields.

famartin

Quote from: storm2k on April 24, 2021, 09:34:22 PM
Drove on 280 for the first time in a while today. It looks like they're doing some bridge work in spot places west of Pleasant Valley Way all the way out to 80. Looks like this will include new overhead structures at Exits 6 and 5A-B. Which means they're finally replacing the overhead structure that came down at 5B (if you look at the GSV, you can see the posts, but the truss has been gone for I think 10ish years?). Will also be curious if the new signs use the same interesting pullthru that they installed at Eisenhower Pkwy when that was replaced two years ago. WB uses Parsippany and includes a "to 80" shield, and the EB uses Kearney as a control city (which makes zero sense to me since Newark is more important and 280 passes through the heart of it) with 95/Turnpike shields.

I'm gonna guess the use of "Kearney" is based on someone programmed to just use the road's terminus (a not-uncommon NJDOT practice). I suspect Parsippany will definitely be on the WB sign, which at least has some meritt.

Alps

Quote from: famartin on April 25, 2021, 02:48:02 AM

I'm gonna guess the use of "Kearney" is based on someone programmed to just use the road's terminus (a not-uncommon NJDOT practice). I suspect Parsippany will definitely be on the WB sign, which at least has some meritt.
KEARNY :angry:

TheGrassGuy

Oh, and they're also replacing the CR 577 bridge over I-78
If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

artmalk

I live in Parsippany so it was a thrill to see Parsippany on the westbound sign near Eisenhower Parkway.  The use of Kearny eastbound (skipping over The Oranges and Newark) makes no sense.  I do like the use of hte NJTP and 95 shields on the sign though.  It should be Newark.  Most signs on 280 West show no control city at all, it should be Parsippany whenever they are replaced.

roadman65

Skipping over Newark on I-280 is like skipping over New York for Providence on the NJ Turnpike.

Sheryl Crowe

roadman65

Then this one westbound in West Orange leaves a blank space.
https://goo.gl/maps/f8ouUb9BLkBAsqi99

Sheryl Crowe

storm2k

The Rt 206 Doctors Way to Valley Rd project has officially kicked off.

Good to see these projects moving forward, even though I'd love to see 4 lane divided from the Somerville Circle to Princeton or maybe further to 95.

famartin

Quote from: storm2k on April 27, 2021, 03:50:57 PM
The Rt 206 Doctors Way to Valley Rd project has officially kicked off.

Good to see these projects moving forward, even though I'd love to see 4 lane divided from the Somerville Circle to Princeton or maybe further to 95.
You of course mean 295  :-D

Not going to happen so long as Montgomery and Princeton have anything to say about it.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.