News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

New Jersey

Started by Alps, September 17, 2013, 07:00:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

famartin

Quote from: roadman65 on April 26, 2021, 11:46:57 PM
Quote from: storm2k on April 24, 2021, 09:34:22 PM
Drove on 280 for the first time in a while today. It looks like they're doing some bridge work in spot places west of Pleasant Valley Way all the way out to 80. Looks like this will include new overhead structures at Exits 6 and 5A-B. Which means they're finally replacing the overhead structure that came down at 5B (if you look at the GSV, you can see the posts, but the truss has been gone for I think 10ish years?). Will also be curious if the new signs use the same interesting pullthru that they installed at Eisenhower Pkwy when that was replaced two years ago. WB uses Parsippany and includes a "to 80" shield, and the EB uses Kearney as a control city (which makes zero sense to me since Newark is more important and 280 passes through the heart of it) with 95/Turnpike shields.

Then this one westbound in West Orange leaves a blank space.
https://goo.gl/maps/f8ouUb9BLkBAsqi99

That's a pretty old sign. I'm sure it won't look like that whenever they get around to replacing it.

storm2k

Quote from: famartin on April 27, 2021, 04:13:31 PM
Quote from: storm2k on April 27, 2021, 03:50:57 PM
The Rt 206 Doctors Way to Valley Rd project has officially kicked off.

Good to see these projects moving forward, even though I'd love to see 4 lane divided from the Somerville Circle to Princeton or maybe further to 95.
You of course mean 295  :-D

Not going to happen so long as Montgomery and Princeton have anything to say about it.

I know it's a pipe dream, but it would fit the patterns. Same way that 202 should be 4 lane freeway from Doylestown to 287 in Bridgewater but will never happen either.

roadman65

I still wonder why West Orange is signed on CR 577 south? If Downtown West Orange was that way it would make sense, but it isn't. Everything on CR 577 on both sides of I-280 is West Orange including the modern strip malls.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

TheGrassGuy

What'll happen to old US 206 after the bypass is finished?
If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

famartin

Quote from: TheGrassGuy on April 28, 2021, 07:53:21 AM

I've been told it'll be transferred to local control. Not sure if that means county or municipal.

roadman65

Quote from: famartin on April 28, 2021, 08:39:29 AM

I've been told it'll be transferred to local control. Not sure if that means county or municipal.

Long time coming for it to be widened. Too bad the rest of Route 31 can't be widened as it's needed. Ditto for US 9 from Manahawkin to Lakewood where US 9 is overflowing in busy Ocean County.

Sheryl Crowe

Alps

Local = municipal.

famartin

Quote from: Alps on April 28, 2021, 07:53:17 PM

Local = municipal.

Sorry, was applying a non-NJ mindset to it (in much of America, there is no municipal, so local=county)

TheGrassGuy

Quote from: famartin on April 28, 2021, 08:29:23 PM

Local = municipal.

Sorry, was applying a non-NJ mindset to it (in much of America, there is no municipal, so local=county)
Not in NJ, I think?

famartin

Quote from: TheGrassGuy on April 29, 2021, 09:07:38 AM

Local = municipal.

Not in NJ, I think?
Haven't lived in NJ in almost 18 years, but a frequent visitor.

storm2k

Quote from: TheGrassGuy on April 29, 2021, 09:07:38 AM

Local = municipal.

Not in NJ, I think?

Nope, in NJ you have both county maintained roads (get the pentagon shields) and municipal maintained roads. Old 206 will revert to Hillsborough, though I won't be surprised if future money allocations for municipal grants for maintenance go up a bit for them to account for their need to maintain the road, because it will still be an important road for Hillsborough's "Main Street" development goals.

roadman65

https://goo.gl/maps/WqmLMqDcxttXS2m1A
Really. Denville is the next city?  Obviously someone forgot about Dover in between.

Sheryl Crowe

storm2k

Quote from: roadman65 on May 01, 2021, 11:50:46 PM
Really. Denville is the next city?  Obviously someone forgot about Dover in between.

Honestly, none of those really make sense. Dover, Parsippany, and Wayne rate more.

famartin

Quote from: storm2k on May 02, 2021, 01:45:47 AM

Honestly, none of those really make sense. Dover, Parsippany, and Wayne rate more.

How about Passaic?  :-D

NJ has the odd situation where every municipality is legally equal and home rule is strong. Thus with limited annexations throughout history (and none at all in a long time), none of its cities and towns could ever become "large" like in other states. Otherwise, the city of Newark would probably include the Oranges, Irvington, Belleville and maybe Kearny/Harrison/Elizabeth. Trenton would include Ewing, Lawrence and Hamilton, Atlantic City would include the entire island and possibly parts of the mainland, and Camden would be all of northern Camden County.

Rothman

Debates over control cities should be kept out of these main threads.  These threads should be for history, plans or ongoing/upcoming projects.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

roadman65

Quote from: famartin on May 02, 2021, 08:08:07 AM

NJ has the odd situation where every municipality is legally equal and home rule is strong. Thus with limited annexations throughout history (and none at all in a long time), none of its cities and towns could ever become "large" like in other states. Otherwise, the city of Newark would probably include the Oranges, Irvington, Belleville and maybe Kearny/Harrison/Elizabeth. Trenton would include Ewing, Lawrence and Hamilton, Atlantic City would include the entire island and possibly parts of the mainland, and Camden would be all of northern Camden County.

But Dover the route goes through its business district proper. Denville it bypasses and has a small district. I am not saying it shouldn't be used, but after Dover though. Signs should list the next city followed by one or two main controls. 

They do get it right in Denville using Clifton and New York as New York is it's endpoint is there on the GWB, however Clifton too is one of many others they can use, but was chosen as it's where Route 3 branches off and at one point before the population explosion it stood out like Clinton did on Route 22 before Branchburg and Readington exploded west of Somerville. Now it makes sense more to use Allentown on I-78 over Clinton since that is the next city of major interest and being the core of the larger Lehigh Valley Region.

South Florida runs into the same situation on both I-95 and US 1 as from Jupiter to Homestead is all incorporated cities and no open county areas in between.  However West Palm and Miami are stand outs among them to be used on I -95.

Sheryl Crowe

famartin

Quote from: roadman65 on May 02, 2021, 10:19:13 AM
Quote from: famartin on May 02, 2021, 08:08:07 AM

But Dover the route goes through its business district proper. Denville it bypasses and has a small district. I am not saying it shouldn't be used, but after Dover though. Signs should list the next city followed by one or two main controls. 

They do get it right in Denville using Clifton and New York as New York is it's endpoint is there on the GWB, however Clifton too is one of many others they can use, but was chosen as it's where Route 3 branches off and at one point before the population explosion it stood out like Clinton did on Route 22 before Branchburg and Readington exploded west of Somerville. Now it makes sense more to use Allentown on I-78 over Clinton since that is the next city of major interest and being the core of the larger Lehigh Valley Region.

South Florida runs into the same situation on both I-95 and US 1 as from Jupiter to Homestead is all incorporated cities and no open county areas in between.  However West Palm and Miami are stand outs among them to be used on I -95.

There should be some sort of rationale behind what cities to use. I-95/I-80 being major through routes, the major cities should only be used. US1/US46 being relegated to service roads, they should have much more local destinations listed. Perhaps either some sort of average "time" to the destinations, or just cities that one is most likely to use the route to reach.  That suggests that using New York on 46 in Denville isn't a great idea since most people will jump onto 80 at the first opportunity (though I did drive 46 end-to-end last year, just for fun and photography).

Alps

Quote from: Rothman on May 02, 2021, 09:42:23 AM
Debates over control cities should be kept out of these main threads.  These threads should be for history, plans or ongoing/upcoming projects.
Hi, moderator here. If you want more specific discussion, create a more specific thread. Otherwise, anything on topic to NJ is fair game!

Rothman

Quote from: Alps on May 02, 2021, 02:06:54 PM
Quote from: Rothman on May 02, 2021, 09:42:23 AM
Hi, moderator here. If you want more specific discussion, create a more specific thread. Otherwise, anything on topic to NJ is fair game!
Yeah, them's the current rules. 

The problem is that all this speculation about control cities -- not based on any current plans -- is really diluting the usefulness of the threads.  It's really fictional territory.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

storm2k

Drove down 206 through Hillsborough to see the latest with the bypass and the widening. Prep work is already well underway for the Valley Rd to Doctors Way project. Decent amount of tree clearing and grading underway already. Bypass is still closed but the work looks pretty much done. The timeline to open it was supposed to be this spring, so hopefully we'll see it open soon.

One interesting thing I saw was at the southern end of the bypass, at the traffic light, the ramp onto the bypass has "Freeway Entrance" signs, which I don't recall seeing pretty much anywhere in New Jersey. Thought that was interesting:

TheGrassGuy

Quote from: storm2k on May 02, 2021, 06:49:36 PM
Drove down 206 through Hillsborough to see the latest with the bypass and the widening. Prep work is already well underway for the Valley Rd to Doctors Way project. Decent amount of tree clearing and grading underway already. Bypass is still closed but the work looks pretty much done. The timeline to open it was supposed to be this spring, so hopefully we'll see it open soon.

One interesting thing I saw was at the southern end of the bypass, at the traffic light, the ramp onto the bypass has "Freeway Entrance" signs, which I don't recall seeing pretty much anywhere in New Jersey. Thought that was interesting:

"Freeway"

:spin: :spin: :spin: :spin: :spin: :spin: :spin:

famartin

Woah, yeah never seen that in NJ before. Of course such a rare thing would not quite be used appropriately  :-D

Alps

Quote from: storm2k on May 02, 2021, 06:49:36 PM

Very interesting, since it's NOT A FREEWAY. Not there the last time I drove past, which really wasn't all that long ago. I haven't seen an opening date yet.

bzakharin

Doubly odd because the term "freeway" has no traction in NJ, and entrance signs are for toll roads. The only reference to freeways in NJ signage I remember seeing is "freeway ends" at the southern terminus of NJ 55. https://www.google.com/maps/@39.3445694,-74.9969318,3a,75y,160.63h,93.01t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sVhYg25SrWHzxoCHYqsRohw!2e0!5s20180801T000000!7i13312!8i6656

famartin

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.