News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

New Hampshire

Started by 74/171FAN, June 17, 2009, 09:14:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SectorZ

For anyone with Facebook, Gov. Chris Sununu has made keeping the old exit numbers is hill to die on...

https://www.facebook.com/GovernorChrisSununu/posts/1048736985474737

For those who don't, he claims that "Exit 3" is part of his identity.

Personally, I identify as the exit number-less 93/293 junction in Manchester.

Alps

Quote from: SectorZ on November 30, 2019, 09:03:08 AM
For anyone with Facebook, Gov. Chris Sununu has made keeping the old exit numbers is hill to die on...

I identify as the unbuilt Hudson bypass...

SectorZ

Quote from: Alps on November 30, 2019, 12:17:26 PM

The Circumcision Highway as those in Hudson call it?

Alps

Quote from: SectorZ on November 30, 2019, 02:03:27 PM

They took more than a little off...

TheGrassGuy

Quote from: Alps on December 01, 2019, 12:56:34 AM
Quote from: SectorZ on November 30, 2019, 02:03:27 PM

They took more than a little off...
I identify as I-86, but everyone keeps telling me that I'm just a NY state route that just happens to be mostly freeway...
If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

bob7374

According to this article in the Boston Globe, though Gov. Sununu has vowed not let the state's exit numbers be changed, the state's Executive Council has approved a 10-year transportation plan with exit renumbering, to commence by the mid-2020s:
https://www.boston.com/news/local-news/2019/12/16/new-england-highway-exit-re-numbering

I did some checking and found out that the Draft 10-Year Plan is online. The exit number project, No. 40915, is listed on page 161. Work is to start in 2023: https://www.nh.gov/dot/org/projectdevelopment/planning/typ/documents/book-typ-2021-2030gacit-to-gov.pdf

Dougtone

Come make a virtual visit of the Ashuelot Covered Bridge, one of dozens of covered bridges in New Hampshire.

https://www.gribblenation.org/2020/04/ashuelot-covered-bridge-new-hampshire.html

DJ Particle

You sure he's not originally from Cape Cod?  😄

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: DJ Particle on April 15, 2020, 01:44:42 AM

You sure he's not originally from Cape Cod?  😄

They're the same way in Vermont.  My relatives used to own a gas station off an exit in Vermont and the license plate on their personal car reflected the exit number.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

mariethefoxy

The Spaulding Turnpike construction project between Exit 4 and 6 is coming along quite well since I moved up to New Hampshire last year. They got the new signs up in the area from the bridge to Exit 6, northbound has two Arrow Per Lane signs, one for the 1/2 mile and one for the "at the exit" sign. The arrows dont quite match the lanes just yet however.

Southbound theres a 1 mile advance for Newington Village, then two overhead mounted blue signs, one says Exit 4 and has a Food and Gas symbol signs in the blue space. The Gas station is easy to spot but I dont know of any food place in that area, the nearest fast food is the McDonalds on Gosling road (Exit 1). The other sign on that overhead is a blank logo sign that reads ATTRACTIONS EXIT 4 but nothings listed. Just before the bridge theres an overhead 1/2 mile Newington Village sign next to it a 5 mile advance sign for I-95.

The onramp from US 4 now goes through the new section of road and merges in right before the bridge. Supposedly itll be completed by this summer.

DRMan

Quote from: mariethefoxy on April 25, 2020, 02:31:56 PM
The Spaulding Turnpike construction project between Exit 4 and 6 is coming along quite well since I moved up to New Hampshire last year. They got the new signs up in the area from the bridge to Exit 6, northbound has two Arrow Per Lane signs, one for the 1/2 mile and one for the "at the exit" sign. The arrows dont quite match the lanes just yet however.
Those are huge signs, a lot of wasted green space. I will try to get pictures next time I'm down that way.

Southbound theres a 1 mile advance for Newington Village, then two overhead mounted blue signs, one says Exit 4 and has a Food and Gas symbol signs in the blue space. The Gas station is easy to spot but I dont know of any food place in that area, the nearest fast food is the McDonalds on Gosling road (Exit 1). The other sign on that overhead is a blank logo sign that reads ATTRACTIONS EXIT 4 but nothings listed. Just before the bridge theres an overhead 1/2 mile Newington Village sign next to it a 5 mile advance sign for I-95.
I haven't seen blue signs mounted overhead like that in NH. The same structure has a speed limit sign, which is also pretty unusual for around here. And, I'm not aware of another 5 mile advance sign in NH. There is limited space along the side of the road due to a sound wall (also part of this project) so that may explain all of the overhead structures.

The onramp from US 4 now goes through the new section of road and merges in right before the bridge. Supposedly itll be completed by this summer.
This should help southbound traffic immensely.

mariethefoxy

Im not a fan of those arrow per lane signs they seem really big for what they are and the same message could have been displayed with two signs.

Ive only seen an overhead logo sign mounted elsewhere like that in New York on I-684 north by Exit 3S-N

shadyjay

Yeah, we've got one in CT mounted overhead.  Close proximity of the Frontage Road to the right prohibit the sign to be posted on the side.

84EB-Exit25-1 by Jay Hogan, on Flickr

And those ones on I-684 North in NY are the result of a sound barrier just feet off the right edge of the shoulder, so there's no place for them, but overhead.

fwydriver405

I just drove thru this area earlier today, as they just opened up a new section of the US 4 SB ramp to Spaulding Turnpike SB. Here are some of the actual signs (from Hilton Park):

shadyjay

Nice to see "Maine Points" on a new sign, though I'm surprised, in this day and age of the MUTCD that "Portland" wasn't used.  The northbound APL for Exit 6 omits "Dover" from the pull-through and "Concord" from the exit sign.  Seems like there's room for each on their respective sides.

Having gone to UNH in the late 90s, I've seen that whole area transform quite a bit.  Its a far cry from what it was, road wise!

mariethefoxy

taking Exit 6 to go to dover is very slow and plodding on Dover Point road, its easier to stay on and get off at Exit 7

DRMan

Thanks, fwydriver405, you just beat me to it. I was able to get a few shots from a different angle.

First, southbound.

Here is the northbound Exit 6 APL. Wondering if the signs were initially meant to have the Concord and Dover control cities that shadyjay mentioned. And I think there should be mention of Dover Point Rd here (the "back way" to Dover and the original NH 16) as well. But, NHDOT has been sticking more closely to the MUTCD lately and MUTCD advises (or demands?) that APLs have only one destination per movement and that street names and cities can't be mixed.

shadyjay

Back when there was an EXIT "6N", original signage had the exit signed as "Dover Pt Rd/South Dover".  This was later changed to just "Dover", while at the same time, "Dover/Rochester/Somersworth" appeared on the pull-thru (with no route or direction).  Most likely the pull-thru at the time dated to the days before NH 16 was assigned to the turnpike.

Since when is NH so MUTCD-compliant?  They are resisting the change of exit numbers to mile-based.  They frequently use state names as control cities in the seacoast.  Heck, there's a non-MUTCD compliant sign on this particular (APL) gantry, with "Maine points" as an I-95 control point. 

There are numerous APLs around with 2 destinations for each movement, several of them in New Hampshire, nonetheless.  While the single destinations do make for a nice clutter-free sign, it wouldn't look that cluttered if "Dover" was added above "Rochester" at the very least, and Concord appeared on a secondary sign. 

KEVIN_224

You still had "MAINE" on I-95 North in Portsmouth. March 6, 2019.

DRMan

Quote from: shadyjay on May 03, 2020, 08:37:24 PM
Back when there was an EXIT "6N", original signage had the exit signed as "Dover Pt Rd/South Dover".  This was later changed to just "Dover", while at the same time, "Dover/Rochester/Somersworth" appeared on the pull-thru (with no route or direction).  Most likely the pull-thru at the time dated to the days before NH 16 was assigned to the turnpike.

Since when is NH so MUTCD-compliant?  They are resisting the change of exit numbers to mile-based.  They frequently use state names as control cities in the seacoast.  Heck, there's a non-MUTCD compliant sign on this particular (APL) gantry, with "Maine points" as an I-95 control point. 

There are numerous APLs around with 2 destinations for each movement, several of them in New Hampshire, nonetheless.  While the single destinations do make for a nice clutter-free sign, it wouldn't look that cluttered if "Dover" was added above "Rochester" at the very least, and Concord appeared on a secondary sign. 

All true and even some of the new signs still use the old conventions.

I was thinking about how the signage on secondary routes, specifically the monosigns like this one -- https://goo.gl/maps/uaAbnoJBiRWB2mVM7 -- that are being transitioned to more MUTCD-like signage. I assume the new signs on NH 16 are part of that push too.

fwydriver405

I've always thought that the Exit 6 interchange could have been a diverging diamond interchange for some time now... there is a heavy amount of US 4 traffic turning left during the rush hour, and as of now, not a lot of traffic goes thru from EB US 4 onto Dover Point Road. Although the roundabout at the Dover Point/Spur Rd intersection could be a bit problematic with a DDI, especially since drivers also blatantly run the PHB/HAWK signals on solid red, then just sit there on the flashing red on the Scambell Bridge approaches. Especially problematic if you're coming off the circle...

Quote from: shadyjay on May 03, 2020, 08:37:24 PM

I believe that the exit number project is on the 2020 10-year draft plan. No. 40915, is listed on page 161. While we're on the exit numbering topic, I wonder if:

- Route 101 from I-93 to current exit 13 will have mile based exits based on the length of the route, or from where 101 has its own freeway.
- I-393 will have mile-based exit numbers since the route is only 4.594 miles (7.393 km) long.
- Current unnumbered freeway to freeway interchanges will receive a number at all.

https://www.nh.gov/dot/org/projectdevelopment/planning/typ/documents/book-typ-2021-2030gacit-to-gov.pdf

kphoger

What a waste of empty green space.

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

froggie

On the subject of exit numbers, it's worth noting that Governor Sununu is opposed to switching to milepost-based exit numbers.  So unless he's convinced otherwise or overruled, I doubt it will happen while he's still in the governor's office, despite the 10-year-plan line item fwydriver mentioned.

PaulRAnderson

Quote from: kphoger on May 03, 2020, 09:52:56 PM
The BGS at the end of I-84 in Massachusetts has a lot of wasted space too.  I would think making the sign smaller and making the route numbers and direction bigger, would be an improvement.

bjcolby50

Quote from: kphoger on May 03, 2020, 09:52:56 PM

Yeah...at minimum, they should have Concord and Dover on the US 4 sign, and White Mountains on the pullthrough for the Spaulding Turnpike and NH 16.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.