News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

New Hampshire

Started by 74/171FAN, June 17, 2009, 09:14:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on May 03, 2020, 08:47:30 PM
You still had "MAINE" on I-95 North in Portsmouth. March 6, 2019.

Gad!  What an excessively oversized structre.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

PHLBOS

Quote from: roadman on May 09, 2020, 05:03:45 PM
Quote from: KEVIN_224 on May 03, 2020, 08:47:30 PM
You still had "MAINE" on I-95 North in Portsmouth. March 6, 2019.

Gad!  What an excessively oversized structre.
120-mph wind load design criteria perhaps(?).
GPS does NOT equal GOD

KEVIN_224

Well they DO warn about crosswinds as you go up to that wonderful bridge in the background. :-P

fwydriver405

Back on Thursday, 21 May, I was able to drive down I-93 south from the I-293 split in Manchester to the Massachusetts state line. Here is what I saw on that day since my last drive down that corridor was back in December 2019:

1. NHDOT is slowly starting to replace the variable speed limit signs with static ones along the I-93 corridor, as they reach the end of their service life. From a previous NHDOT job shadow back on 25 July 2019, I was told that the TMC in Concord didn't really have any practical uses for it, some of the signs were "unreliable" and "kept having issues", and one time during a heavy snowstorm, they could not change the speed limit to 45 mph (72 km/h)*, as the inclement weather was causing signal issues between devices. I don't have a picture of it, but one of the speed limit signs replaced was on 93 south before the 293 split (before, after). As of Oct 2019, that segment now has a permanent speed limit of 55 mph (89 km/h), and a minimum speed limit of 45 mph (72 km/h). It is also worth noticing that the speed limit from ~MM18.4 to ~MM14.2 is still 55 mph (89 km/h) for some reason and not 65 mph (105 km/h) like it used to be...

2. The "RIGHT LANE ENDS 1000 FT" banner on the I-93 pull-through sign at the 293 split needs to be removed. At least going southbound, it is now three continuous lanes through the I-293 interchange.

3. I-93 (southbound) now has four continuous lanes from ~MM18.4 to ~MM14.2 (though Exit 5, NH 28/N. Londonderry), for a length of ~4.2 miles (6.8 km). I don't know if signage for the I-293 split were updated heading northbound, or if travel lanes were opened on the northbound direction, as I have yet to check that.

4. The widened freeway after ~MM14.2 narrows down to two travel lanes through Exit 4 (NH 102, Derry/Londonderry). Southbound traffic through the Exit 4 work zone shifts over to the northbound carriageway. Work continues on the I-93 mainline and Exit 4 ramps in this area. The southbound carriageway can be seen on the right hand side of the images.

5. I-93 reverts back to three lanes at MM10.4 after the Exit 4 southbound on-ramp merges with the mainline. From MM7.6 onwards to the Mass. State Line, they are doing median work as well as some activity near the NH/MA border. Not sure what it is, but that sound wall looks new.

Does anyone know when four continuous travel lanes from Massachusetts to ~MM10.4-14.2 (Exit 4 area) will be fully open to traffic? Last time I heard, salt runoff issues prevented them from opening all four travel lanes, limiting them to three in each direction. I wonder if that is what the median work is all about.

*Also, does anyone know what happens to those variable speed signs during inclement weather (i.e., snowstorm)? Do they say a reduced speed on the SPEED LIMIT portion, with the MINIMUM blanked out, or is the sign blanked out completely during these events? Also, have those signs been reduced (or increased) in times that are NOT inclement weather or a work zone area (i.e. traffic congestion)?

deathtopumpkins

Quote from: fwydriver405 on May 24, 2020, 03:06:40 AMIt is also worth noticing that the speed limit from ~MM18.4 to ~MM14.2 is still 55 mph (89 km/h) for some reason and not 65 mph (105 km/h) like it used to be...

Southbound is definitely still 55, but northbound the portable variable signs do sometimes display 65 north of exit 5.

Quote3. I-93 (southbound) now has four continuous lanes from ~MM18.4 to ~MM14.2 (though Exit 5, NH 28/N. Londonderry), for a length of ~4.2 miles (6.8 km). I don't know if signage for the I-293 split were updated heading northbound, or if travel lanes were opened on the northbound direction, as I have yet to check that.

Northbound now opens up a mile or two before the split, but no signage was updated. Still just has the temporary ground mounted orange signs.

*Also, does anyone know what happens to those variable speed signs during inclement weather (i.e., snowstorm)? Do they say a reduced speed on the SPEED LIMIT portion, with the MINIMUM blanked out, or is the sign blanked out completely during these events? Also, have those signs been reduced (or increased) in times that are NOT inclement weather or a work zone area (i.e. traffic congestion)?

I've never seen them display anything other than the normal speed limit. Snow, traffic congestion, a major crash, still the normal speed limit. NHDOT does reduce the limit during snowstorms, but I've never seen the signs reflect the lower limit (unlike in Maine).
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

5foot14

According to the project website, rebuildingi93.com, 93 should be done with 4 lanes by fall 2020. The exit 4 contract as well as the south of exit 1 widening should be complete in the fall and the final contract for this megaproject (also to be completed in the fall) is constructing a 4th lane from exit 1 to exit 5 (which will probably involve mostly restriping the lanes). Not sure if this is the most up to date info, but thats what the project page states.

SM-G900P

fwydriver405

Quote from: 5foot14 on May 26, 2020, 10:42:31 AM
The final contract for this megaproject (also to be completed in the fall) is constructing a 4th lane from exit 1 to exit 5 (which will probably involve mostly restriping the lanes).

That is contract 14633J out in the works right now, which is widening the median strip to accommodate a fourth lane from Exit 1 to Exit 3 (approximately 4.8 miles (7.7 km) southbound and 6.1 miles (9.8 km) northbound) along with some ITS work from exit 1 to exit 5 which is expected to last from spring to fall 2020. Like I said earlier, I believe this is being done because a long time ago, NHDOT could only design and open the road to three lanes of traffic from exit 1 to 3 because of salt runoff issues.

fwydriver405

I just drove the Spaulding Turnpike today and noticed something a bit strange today while they were doing some roadworks. While driving between exits 4 and 6 northbound, I noticed that NHDOT posted a new permanent static speed limit sign that says:

SPEED LIMIT 55
MINIMUM 40

Interesting enough, it is not very far from an existing SPEED LIMIT 55 sign. This is the first time I have ever seen NHDOT post a minimum speed of 40 mph (65 km/h) ever... wonder why that is the case?

shadyjay

Typically, in a 65 MPH zone, the minimum is 45.  Most Speed Limit 65 signs throughout NH add the minimum.

However, in a quick check on street view, I failed to see a Speed Limit 55 sign posting a minimum (outside of the electronic ones on I-93 south of Manchester).  So in that regard, perhaps when the max speed limit is 55, the minimum is 40.  We're just now seeing this posted.  Perhaps?

fwydriver405

Quote from: shadyjay on June 04, 2020, 08:38:10 PM
Typically, in a 65 MPH zone, the minimum is 45.  Most Speed Limit 65 signs throughout NH add the minimum.

However, in a quick check on street view, I failed to see a Speed Limit 55 sign posting a minimum (outside of the electronic ones on I-93 south of Manchester).  So in that regard, perhaps when the max speed limit is 55, the minimum is 40.  We're just now seeing this posted.  Perhaps?

Here is the sign on 93 South that you mentioned. 2020-05-21. Most likely it will revert back to 65 MPH once this segment wraps up. It has the normal 45 MPH minimum speed limit that most freeways have.

Then here is the sign on the Spaulding Turnpike NB immediately after EXIT 4. There is a SPEED LIMIT 55 sign before where the photo was shot. This is the only NH road that has a 40 MPH minimum speed limit.

shadyjay

Actually I was referring to the electronic ones, the changeable ones on I-93 south of Manchester, which have the max/min speeds listed.  I've seen them at 65/45 and seen them at 55, but not sure what minimum was displayed.  The first photo you linked above with the 55/45 most likely will become 65/45 when full construction is completed.  I'm assuming there is still a gap in widening to the south a bit, near Exit 4, IIRC, and with construction still ongoing there, the corridor isn't fully reconstructed yet.  No sense to sign a few miles near Manchester to 65 right away.

Again, possible the minimum in 55 mph zones has been 40 all along, we're just now seeing it posted.

SectorZ

Quote from: shadyjay on June 04, 2020, 08:38:10 PM

I concur that the 40 minimum is just the standard in 55 zones. Makes sense that the floor would drop a bit with such a low limit.

fwydriver405

Quote from: shadyjay on June 04, 2020, 11:12:22 PM
The first photo you linked above with the 55/45 most likely will become 65/45 when full construction is completed.  I'm assuming there is still a gap in widening to the south a bit, near Exit 4, IIRC, and with construction still ongoing there, the corridor isn't fully reconstructed yet.  No sense to sign a few miles near Manchester to 65 right away.

Actually after exit 5, IIRC, the changeable message signs on 93 South do say 65/45 even with the roadworks at Exit 4, and remains that way through the Massachusetts border where 65 MPH is maintained in MA. Might have changed, but that is what I saw when I went down to Salem the other day.

Quote from: shadyjay on June 04, 2020, 11:12:22 PM
Again, possible the minimum in 55 mph zones has been 40 all along, we're just now seeing it posted.

I'm not sure if this law pertains to what you are saying but:

Quote from: NH RSA 265:64 Minimum Speed Regulation
I. No person shall drive a vehicle at such a slow speed as to impede the normal and reasonable movement of traffic except when reduced speed is necessary for safe operation or in compliance with law. Under this provision a minimum speed limit of 45 miles per hour shall be posted and prevail on the interstate highway system in the state.
II. Whenever the commissioner of transportation determines on the basis of engineering and traffic investigation that slow speeds on any part of a way consistently impede the normal and reasonable movement of traffic, said commissioner may determine and declare a minimum prima facie speed limit.
Source. 1937, 125:2. RL 119:31. RSA 263:55. 1955, 119:1. 1963, 330:1. RSA 262-A:57. 1971, 202:1. 1981, 146:1, eff. Jan. 1, 1982.

Dougtone

Come check out the old General Sullivan Bridge, which was once part of NH 16 near Portsmouth.
https://www.gribblenation.org/2020/07/general-sullivan-bridge.html

roadman

Quote from: Dougtone on July 09, 2020, 11:15:11 PM
Come check out the old General Sullivan Bridge, which was once part of NH 16 near Portsmouth.
https://www.gribblenation.org/2020/07/general-sullivan-bridge.html

I remember riding across that bridge as a kid in the late 1960s.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

BridgesToIdealism

Obviously I can't take pictures while driving, but the other day I noticed that on I-93 northbound approaching the southern junction/split with I-293, multiple new APLs have been installed... and those things are HUGE! It's interesting, because the actual traffic configuration hasn't been changed (it was always 5-6 lanes right at the merge even before the exits 1-5 widening project). I guess they are just trying to make sure that people know where they are going.

On a related note, I saw an article a few weeks ago that the exits 1-5 widening project was slated to be completed in 60 days. Given how much work they still have to do at exit 4, I highly doubt that.
Matthew Wong; University of Indianapolis Class of 2024

SectorZ

Quote from: BridgesToIdealism on August 11, 2020, 12:50:02 PM
I saw an article a few weeks ago that the exits 1-5 widening project was slated to be completed in 60 days. Given how much work they still have to do at exit 4, I highly doubt that.

I've been wondering about that too. I can see end of 2020 maybe, especially if any heavy snow holds off past Christmas. They've held to this fall 2020 timeline for a while now without changing it, so maybe they feel they can pull it off. More power to them if so.

froggie

Obviously I can't take pictures while driving, but the other day I noticed that on I-93 northbound approaching the southern junction/split with I-293, multiple new APLs have been installed... and those things are HUGE! It's interesting, because the actual traffic configuration hasn't been changed (it was always 5-6 lanes right at the merge even before the exits 1-5 widening project). I guess they are just trying to make sure that people know where they are going.

You're being generous.  Pre-widening, there were 4 lanes at the split (not 5-6), two lanes going in each direction.

fwydriver405

Quote from: froggie on August 12, 2020, 11:00:49 PM

You're being generous.  Pre-widening, there were 4 lanes at the split (not 5-6), two lanes going in each direction.

Here are the APL's in question on I-93 NB at the I-293 interchange. Click on the photos for a larger image. I believe more APL's could be coming along the corridor, specifically at Exits 1 and 4 northbound. More I-93 photos and an explanation about said APL's will come on a second post...

Also, can someone clarify if this exit is offically "unsigned Exit 5 A"? I remember seeing a plan or something like that for this interchange mentioning this...

-------

2-Mile Advance sign:

1-Mile Advance sign. These advance signs do not list Bedford as a control city like what the older strippled arrow sign displayed. These signs also do not have "LEFT" or "MANCHESTER AIRPORT" tabs on them:

Manchester Airport is now signed on a ground mounted sign between the 1 and ½ mile advance signs.

½-mile advance sign.

Last APL before the split. Notice how there is only one control city on each departing freeway, compared to two (Concord/Seacoast) on the other signs for 93 North / 101 East.

The older ground mounted sign for 293 North / 101 West is still there as of 2020-08-20.

Signs at the split. There is an I-293 gore sign as well further ahead.

fwydriver405

More I-93 photos, this time starting northbound from the Massachusetts state line.

These sign structures were recently installed from the last time (June 2020) I visited the area near Exit 1. I'm not sure if Exit 1 will be getting new signs and what they will look like, and especially if Exit 1 will recieve APL's considering the size of the gantry on the third photo on this set.

More widening work, from Exit 2 to Exit 3. The newly paved fourth lane can be seen to the left:

Past Exit 3 and before the weigh station, here is more evidence that NHDOT may be abandoning the variable speed limit sings and replacing them with static SPEED LIMIT 65 MINIMUM 45 signs. Some of the signs on the corridor are active, others inactive.

From the Union Leader, here is a sneak peek at what the new Exit 4 signs going northbound will look like. Notice how one of the signs could be an APL (Not sure about the date of this photo taken so it is possible that the APL signs shown here could be for another interchange):

Apperently, like the Turnpike signs, there used to be a shield for the "Alan B Shepard Jr. Highway on the Exit 4 onramps. This sign has since been removed for a while now. Not sure how many of these were posted before construction began.

-------

Turning around southbound, not much to see except for a new 1/4 mile advance sign for EXIT 4 posted on the bridge:

shadyjay

Quote from: fwydriver405 on August 24, 2020, 12:47:32 AM
Apperently, like the Turnpike signs, there used to be a shield for the "Alan B Shepard Jr. Highway on the Exit 4 onramps. This sign has since been removed for a while now. Not sure how many of these were posted before construction began.

Yeah, I believe all the Alan Shepard Highway signs are gone.  I believe this was what they looked like:  https://www.nhhistory.org/object/644495/sign-traffic

However, ones for the Senator Styles Bridges Highway still exist.  Spotted one today getting on I-93 in Tilton from US 3.  Didn't get a pic but Google Streetview shows it:
https://www.google.com/maps/@43.4532019,-71.5727999,3a,49.9y,31.59h,83.21t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s94p7WfS_bT3nQUzHgYLlhw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

I-93 is designated the Alan Shepard Hwy from the Mass state line up to the I-293 northern jct in Hooksett, the Everett Tpke from there to Concord, and the Senator Styles Bridges Highway from Concord up to the VT state line, except the section through Franconia Notch which is the Franconia Notch Parkway.

roadman

The last Alan Shephard sign I recall seeing was on the ramp from 102 west to I-93 south in Londonderry.  It had been removed by the time I last used that ramp about two months ago.

fwydriver405

Were "Blue Star Turnpike"  shields ever posted along the stretch of I-95 from Massachusetts to ~Exit 5/Portsmouth Traffic Circle?

roadman

So, is the VMS northbound in Salem going to be reset to the new structure or is it going to be removed entirely?

fwydriver405

Quote from: roadman on August 26, 2020, 10:38:14 AM
So, is the VMS northbound in Salem going to be reset to the new structure or is it going to be removed entirely?

Are you referring to the variable speed limit signs, or the actual V/DMS sign? I'm probably guessing that the variable speed limit sign will be replaced with a static one, and the V/DMS sign will be moved or replaced to the new gantry.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.