News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Illinois 53 Extension

Started by Brandon, July 28, 2010, 11:29:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeaconG

^^^Oh, no. No, no, no...this is a clown car of epic proportions.
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

Konza

Headline in the Daily Herald yesterday:  "Lake County shifts transportation plan away from Route 53 extension".

More noise about improving the existing streets and looking for other transportation modes.

Mass transit works very nicely getting people in and out of downtown Chicago, especially with rush hour schedules, but is very inconvenient otherwise.

I'd still like to see this highway connect with US 12 at the Cheddar Curtain.  It would take a lot of cars OFF those surface streets and reduce congestion in Lake County.  Something tells me that everything developable in Lake County is going to be developed whether Route 53 is extended or not.
Main Line Interstates clinched:  2, 4, 5, 8, 10, 11, 12, 14, 16, 17, 19, 20, 24, 25, 26, 27, 29, 30, 37, 39, 43, 44, 45, 55, 57, 59, 65, 68, 71, 72, 74 (IA-IL-IN-OH), 76 (OH-PA-NJ), 78, 80, 82, 86 (ID), 88 (IL)

I saw the new Folks at head said he has an open mind. CMAP downgraded it too. It's on a possible future list that contains the crosstown and illiana.
One of the problems is much to my surprise the tollway just could not get folks to cover the whole cost.

Revive 755

The following appears to be the document referenced in Lake County shifting away from the IL 53 extension:  https://lakecounty.legistar.com/View.ashx?M=F&ID=7424168&GUID=D202FDD5-B4F1-45D3-9133-8AB83D368A50.

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: Konza on July 11, 2019, 05:41:17 PM
Headline in the Daily Herald yesterday:  "Lake County shifts transportation plan away from Route 53 extension".

More noise about improving the existing streets and looking for other transportation modes.

Mass transit works very nicely getting people in and out of downtown Chicago, especially with rush hour schedules, but is very inconvenient otherwise.

I'd still like to see this highway connect with US 12 at the Cheddar Curtain.  It would take a lot of cars OFF those surface streets and reduce congestion in Lake County.  Something tells me that everything developable in Lake County is going to be developed whether Route 53 is extended or not.

US-12 can use some widening and / or parts made into RIRO with u-turn bays.

Henry

Quote from: Joe The Dragon on July 11, 2019, 11:47:42 PM
Quote from: Konza on July 11, 2019, 05:41:17 PM

US-12 can use some widening and / or parts made into RIRO with u-turn bays.
The next best thing would be to make US 12 into some freeway/expressway combo to connect to the existing freeway that starts just across the state line. As far as IL 53 goes, pretty soon it will be damn near impossible to extend, if the forthcoming developments do come to pass.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

RIRO  might be too innovative for IDOT like continuous passing lanes.

Konza

Today the ISTHA announced they are suspending the environmental study.

Can't see them starting to sell off the right of way they've banked, though.

Politics in Lake County have shifted a bit to the left; you'll note the recent controversy surrounding the cancellation of Civil War Days.  Not to mention the election of a Democrat Governor, who controls appointments to the ISTHA board.  Should either the Lake County Board or the Governorship shift back to the right, expect this to get another look.
Main Line Interstates clinched:  2, 4, 5, 8, 10, 11, 12, 14, 16, 17, 19, 20, 24, 25, 26, 27, 29, 30, 37, 39, 43, 44, 45, 55, 57, 59, 65, 68, 71, 72, 74 (IA-IL-IN-OH), 76 (OH-PA-NJ), 78, 80, 82, 86 (ID), 88 (IL)

ilpt4u

Quote from: 3467 on July 12, 2019, 10:54:27 AM
RIRO  might be too innovative for IDOT like continuous passing lanes.
There are some RIROs along the Kingery, are there not?

Heck, IDOT put a Michigan Left on IL 13 east of Marion, though in a relatively rural spot

That said, it would be very tight to do any substantial upgrades to existing US 12 from IL 53, or even Lake-Cook Rd, up to Wisc. I'm not seeing a "Keystoning"  here. Even trying to get it to Palatine Rd level would require more ROW for the Outer Roadways

inkyatari

I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

The Ghostbuster

The IL-53 extension was probably never going to be built anyway. Perhaps it is for the best.

Konza

It would be interesting to see what the results would be if they were to have another referendum on the Route 53 extension in Lake County.  Last time they did, the results came down overwhelmingly in favor of building the Route 53 extension.

There have always been very vocal opponents- notably Hawthorn Woods and Long Grove, but the rest of the county wanted this road built.

Now the County Board (with three newly elected Democrats) is no longer behind the project, and the ISTHA is under the control of a Chicago Democrat Governor.  While I don't think Republicans will be in the majority in the state any time soon, the pendulum could swing back.

You have to wonder if the voters who changed the composition of the County Board knew they new members' stance on the Route 53 extension.  Sometimes when you "throw the bums out", you just end up with a different set of bums.

It was not a secret someone on the blog I linked to said 53 was dead the day after the election. Lake County has not been growing and all of metro Chicago has shifted blue..

WBBM radio mentioned the new tools at chair who was a housing authority chair and stated it was not just opposition but the road would not find itself.
I wonder what will happen to the ROW.

I think we can answer another old thread. The freeway era is over in metro Chicago and all Illinois unless there is a push to revive US 20.

Also the previous Lake County Board President a Republican flip flopped on it last year.

Revive 755

Quote from: 3467 on July 12, 2019, 03:34:38 PM
https://capitolfax.com/2019/07/12/route-53-extension-battle-appears-to-end-after-nearly-three-generations/

IMHO they should have continued the study or at least done a more general study on building the extension versus other arterial improvements such as six laning US 12, six laning IL 83, and whatever improvement Lake Cook Road needs to better handle the current end of the freeway.

Unless they go all the way with selling all the acquired landing or converted it to 4F uses, I'm not making a definite call on dormant versus dead yet.

mgk920

Quote from: 3467 on July 12, 2019, 08:23:56 PM
It was not a secret someone on the blog I linked to said 53 was dead the day after the election. Lake County has not been growing and all of metro Chicago has shifted blue..

WBBM radio mentioned the new tools at chair who was a housing authority chair and stated it was not just opposition but the road would not find itself.

I think we can answer another old thread. The freeway era is over in metro Chicago and all Illinois unless there is a push to revive US 20.

From my vantage point, many of those who would have voted the other way had gotten fed up with the whole Illinois thing and fled the state.  Just like with California, but not to that extent (yet).

It's a sad statement.

Mike

Daily Herald had a story on the land issue. 53 million spent for a thousand acres.No decisions but the options were keep it 4 f or sell.
This morning they had a nice history.
I checked the last CMAP plan update. Only the Illiana and crosstown have any hope. There is the renewed airport push so Illiana has a chance.
I give them both 2 chances.
As for everything else North of 80 slim chance of 20 and the arterial widening in CMAP.
I will try to link next week if no one else has.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: Revive 755 on July 12, 2019, 11:24:47 PM
Quote from: 3467 on July 12, 2019, 03:34:38 PM
https://capitolfax.com/2019/07/12/route-53-extension-battle-appears-to-end-after-nearly-three-generations/

IMHO they should have continued the study or at least done a more general study on building the extension versus other arterial improvements such as six laning US 12, six laning IL 83, and whatever improvement Lake Cook Road needs to better handle the current end of the freeway.

Unless they go all the way with selling all the acquired landing or converted it to 4F uses, I'm not making a definite call on dormant versus dead yet.

Why continue the study?  It's dead.  Bury it, sell the property and use the money elsewhere.  Continuing to spend money on it is a waste.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: mgk920 on July 13, 2019, 04:12:19 AM
Quote from: 3467 on July 12, 2019, 08:23:56 PM

From my vantage point, many of those who would have voted the other way had gotten fed up with the whole Illinois thing and fled the state.  Just like with California, but not to that extent (yet).

It's a sad statement.

The Chicago metropolitan area is growing. 

Revive 755

Quote from: SEWIGuy on July 13, 2019, 11:27:27 AM
Why continue the study?  It's dead.  Bury it, sell the property and use the money elsewhere.  Continuing to spend money on it is a waste.

I don't believe there's been a real good study on any arterial improvements versus the IL 53 extension.  These would probably be looked at during a proper EIS process, and the data could be good for getting other piecemeal improvements funded, possibly via the CMAQ route.

Quote from: SEWIGuy on July 13, 2019, 11:31:18 AM
The Chicago metropolitan area is growing.

Isn't the rate slowing down?

edwaleni

"After six decades, the record is clear: Grassroots opposition to the project is staunch; money to build it is too scarce; and the irreparable damage it would inflict on Lake County's treasured, but fragile, natural areas is severe."

If they were so worried about Lake County's "fragile natural areas" they wouldn't have allowed mass development zoning in the area to begin with.

They speak with forked tongue. If they truly valued the environment, they wouldn't have allowed so many people to move there.

Can't have it both ways.

This may soothe peoples social justice consciences, but it won't deal with a core issue of transportation in the NW Metro.

Besides, people are leaving Illinois anyway (a little over 10,000 annually). People in Inverness are having problems selling their houses due to the crippling real estate taxes. Double the income tax, double the fuel tax.

So long Illinois!

SEWIGuy

Really the extension isn't necessary.  It was a good decision and they should finally let it die. 

Revive 755

^ At least a partial extension is necessary - the existing termni at Lake Cook does not work well during peak hours, and I wouldn't call the adjacent major intersections on Lake Cook  at IL 53, US 12, and Arlington Heights Road efficient during off peak hours either.  The first two already have dual lefts and rights for the WB-NB and SB-EB movements.

SEWIGuy

I can agree with that. But there doesn't need to be a significant four lane extension beyond the current set up. By and large it works fine even during heavy traffic times.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.