News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Texarkana (Future I-49, I-69 Spur)

Started by Grzrd, August 19, 2010, 11:13:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

O Tamandua

Any updates as to when the final south Miller county I-49 section will be finished?  :wave:  Gotta be getting close, I should think...especially since we've left the cold weather behind for now.

US71

Quote from: O Tamandua on May 22, 2014, 11:41:08 AM
Any updates as to when the final south Miller county I-49 section will be finished?  :wave:  Gotta be getting close, I should think...especially since we've left the cold weather behind for now.

Last report I heard was end of August/beginning of September.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

FLRoads

I was in Texarkana last week and noticed that there is no signage to designate the small portion of freeway between State Line Avenue and Arkansas 549. I had thought this was Arkansas 151 (from what I've seen on maps and some plans for the Texarkana loop on here) and would have seen at least one shield in each direction, but did not. So is that piece of freeway just an implied extension of Texas 151 or does it even have a designation (even hidden)?

Grzrd

Quote from: flaroads on May 25, 2014, 09:13:53 AM
I was in Texarkana last week and noticed that there is no signage to designate the small portion of freeway between State Line Avenue and Arkansas 549. I had thought this was Arkansas 151 (from what I've seen on maps and some plans for the Texarkana loop on here) and would have seen at least one shield in each direction, but did not. So is that piece of freeway just an implied extension of Texas 151 or does it even have a designation (even hidden)?

Courtesy of US71 from upthread:

Quote from: US71 on February 05, 2014, 07:21:37 PM
There are no "END" signs for AR 151 and it's only posted Eastbound ("Northbound"), except at US 71

Grzrd

Quote from: US71 on May 22, 2014, 12:33:09 PM

This May 25 Texarkana Gazette article (behind pay wall) includes a photograph (not behind pay wall) and reports that completion is still slated for summer, with no further specifics:

Curt Green, president of I-49 International Coalition ....
The expansion of I-49 in north Caddo Parish, La., was celebrated Nov. 26, 2013, as state leaders and area representatives from coalitions gathered to recognize a completion of the roadway.
Green said it was thrilling to take a drive on the roadway after the ceremony.
The opening was of 30 miles from the Arkansas state line to north of Shreveport. The ceremony was held at Christian Faith Worship Center on North Market Street in Shreveport.
"Every mile is important, and we have one less mile now to try to get funded,"  Green said. "It was something last time I was driving on the two-lane road with rain and everything else to think about that in a few months I would be driving on an interstate between Shreveport and Texarkana."  
By summer 2014, I-49 will be complete in Arkansas ....
When I-49 is completed from Shreveport to Texarkana, more than $1 billion will have been spent on this leg of the project about $600 million in Caddo Parish and an estimated $400 million in Miller County

The May 25 Texarkana Gazette has another article about I-369 and the greater I-69 "system":

Former Bowie County Judge James Carlow .... is also the third vice chairman for the Alliance for I-69 Texas Board Members and serves on the Northeast Texas portion of the group ....
A big breakthrough for the project came last year when approval was granted to sign the section in Texarkana of Interstate 369.
"This was a big deal, which assures I-369 will come to I-30 in Texarkana,"  Carlow said. "Texarkana is the northern bookend."

Carlow said what has kept him so passionate about a project that has kept his interest and involvement for longer than those who are graduating this May have lived is not a hard question to answer.
"I believe this project will help the Bowie and Miller counties prosper in the future, just as I-30 already has. With I-49, I-30 and I-69 all connecting here, we can greatly enhance our jobs and commerce and sustain our growth,"  he said ....
Curt Green, a real estate developer whose work for Interstate 49 has mirrored the work Carlow has done on I-69. Throughout the years, the two have built a strong working relationship and helped each other to accomplish their goals for roadways they knew would be beneficial for the region.
"Curt and I believe that this area needs both I-49 and I-69 to create the synergies we need to make Texarkana a vibrant community for the next generation,"  Carlow said, adding, "TxDOT and the I-69 Alliance has been our biggest ally."

O Tamandua

Thank you, Grzrd!

I've got a lowly, only anecdotal story from yesterday to add to Mr. Green's comments:

I went out west of Bella Vista to see how the bridge on Rocky Dell Hollow Road (atop the second section of the BV bypass, set to open in the fall) was coming.  A few hundred feet off the road I noticed a ArkDOT or subcontractor fuel trailer leaking profusely.  Had no idea how to stop it and it's not my property so I called 911...Gravette police, Gravette fire, city of Bella Vista and Ark DOT subcontractors all responded.

I could hear the poor fire engine siren winding and weaving its way through the curved roads they now have to traverse, and it took them several minutes to get there.  GPD and the subcontractors, however, just peeled down the dirt carriageway of future I-49.  They were all saying what a blessing it will be for emergency vehicles getting to west Bella Vista when this is finished.  Just a reminder that things WILL change, maybe big time, when we have a fully linked I-49 in the NWA metro.

Now imagine such convenience for multiple cities from Winnie and Duluth to the ports of Houston and south Louisiana and onto Brownsville/McAllen/Laredo, then remember that when the Panama Canal is finished ship traffic that for the longest time has been docking in Los Angeles will be heading in ever greater numbers to the aforementioned ports.

It's very sobering, and I can see why a guy like this has been devoted to this project (whether or not he personally lives to see benefits) for his community longer than today's graduating seniors at Texas, Liberty-Eylau, Arkansas and Pleasant Grove high schools have been alive.

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on May 14, 2014, 12:49:21 PM
I recently had an email Q & A with the Tourism Research & Information Services of the Arkansas Dept. of Parks & Tourism in order to see if Arkansas had any plans to build a Welcome Center counterpart to the one under study in Louisiana:
Q: Louisiana is now conducting a site study for a Welcome Center on southbound I-49 near the AR state line.  Is Arkansas planning on a new Welcome Center on northbound I-49 north of the state line?
A: Arkansas operates a Welcome Center in Texarkana; currently there is not another one planned for this area.
....It looks like it is now up to the Fouke Monster to increase his appearances in order to gin up some tourism between the Louisiana state line and Texarkana.  :spin:

This TV video reports that Fouke leaders do not want to rely on the Monster and are working to get a Welcome Center in Fouke:

Interstate 49 promises economic growth across the country, as well as, in some of our own communities.
The City of Fouke is hoping to take advantage of that potential growth ....
Pat Allen of Fouke is the president of the "Citizens for a Better Community" group.
"I believe I-49 will quadruple the size of Fouke within five to ten years," said Allen ....
Community leaders say they're working to get a visitor welcome center in Fouke, but no final decision has been made.

The TV video also confirms US71's intel:

The section of I-49 south of Doddridge is expected to open in late August or early September.

dariusb

Quote from: Grzrd on June 12, 2014, 08:46:02 AM
Quote from: Grzrd on May 14, 2014, 12:49:21 PM
I recently had an email Q & A with the Tourism Research & Information Services of the Arkansas Dept. of Parks & Tourism in order to see if Arkansas had any plans to build a Welcome Center counterpart to the one under study in Louisiana:
Q: Louisiana is now conducting a site study for a Welcome Center on southbound I-49 near the AR state line.  Is Arkansas planning on a new Welcome Center on northbound I-49 north of the state line?
A: Arkansas operates a Welcome Center in Texarkana; currently there is not another one planned for this area.
....It looks like it is now up to the Fouke Monster to increase his appearances in order to gin up some tourism between the Louisiana state line and Texarkana.  :spin:

This TV video reports that Fouke leaders do not want to rely on the Monster and are working to get a Welcome Center in Fouke:

Interstate 49 promises economic growth across the country, as well as, in some of our own communities.
The City of Fouke is hoping to take advantage of that potential growth ....
Pat Allen of Fouke is the president of the "Citizens for a Better Community" group.
"I believe I-49 will quadruple the size of Fouke within five to ten years," said Allen ....
Community leaders say they're working to get a visitor welcome center in Fouke, but no final decision has been made.

The TV video also confirms US71's intel:

The section of I-49 south of Doddridge is expected to open in late August or early September.
Cool!
It's a new day for a new beginning.

AHTD

Quote from: O Tamandua on May 30, 2014, 04:33:53 PM
Thank you, Grzrd!

I've got a lowly, only anecdotal story from yesterday to add to Mr. Green's comments:

I went out west of Bella Vista to see how the bridge on Rocky Dell Hollow Road (atop the second section of the BV bypass, set to open in the fall) was coming.  A few hundred feet off the road I noticed a ArkDOT or subcontractor fuel trailer leaking profusely.  Had no idea how to stop it and it's not my property so I called 911...Gravette police, Gravette fire, city of Bella Vista and Ark DOT subcontractors all responded.

I could hear the poor fire engine siren winding and weaving its way through the curved roads they now have to traverse, and it took them several minutes to get there.  GPD and the subcontractors, however, just peeled down the dirt carriageway of future I-49.  They were all saying what a blessing it will be for emergency vehicles getting to west Bella Vista when this is finished.  Just a reminder that things WILL change, maybe big time, when we have a fully linked I-49 in the NWA metro.

Now imagine such convenience for multiple cities from Winnie and Duluth to the ports of Houston and south Louisiana and onto Brownsville/McAllen/Laredo, then remember that when the Panama Canal is finished ship traffic that for the longest time has been docking in Los Angeles will be heading in ever greater numbers to the aforementioned ports.

It's very sobering, and I can see why a guy like this has been devoted to this project (whether or not he personally lives to see benefits) for his community longer than today's graduating seniors at Texas, Liberty-Eylau, Arkansas and Pleasant Grove high schools have been alive.

This may be splitting hairs, but noteworthy that we are not a DOT. We do not regulate ports, airfields or railroads. Our responsibility is only the highways. There has, however, been talk again of making us a DOT. Hopefully the name WOULD be ArkDOT and not ARDOT.
Travel and construction information available at www.idrivearkansas.com

bugo

How many cars a day traverse the Benton County portion of AR 549?  I'm guessing very few.

jbnv

Quote from: AHTD on June 15, 2014, 01:15:41 AM
This may be splitting hairs, but noteworthy that we are not a DOT. We do not regulate ports, airfields or railroads. Our responsibility is only the highways.

From a limited-government perspective, that actually is quite logical.
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

Road Hog

Quote from: O Tamandua on May 30, 2014, 04:33:53 PM
Thank you, Grzrd!

This may be splitting hairs, but noteworthy that we are not a DOT. We do not regulate ports, airfields or railroads. Our responsibility is only the highways. There has, however, been talk again of making us a DOT. Hopefully the name WOULD be ArkDOT and not ARDOT.

That would require a constitutional amendment, I'm sure. Do any other state agencies regulate those other things?

bjrush

Arkansas Department of Aeronautics is AHTDs aviation counterpart

They have four people in their LR headquarters
Woo Pig Sooie

AHTD

We have the approval for re-designating State Highway 549 in Southwest Arkansas as I-49.

http://www.arkansashighways.com/forums/I-49-approval-south.pdf

The current estimate for completion of the segment between Doddridge and the Louisiana state line is this fall.

US71

Quote from: AHTD on June 25, 2014, 03:02:21 PM
We have the approval for re-designating State Highway 549 in Southwest Arkansas as I-49.

The current estimate for completion of the segment between Doddridge and the Louisiana state line is this fall.

It was announced at today's dedication in Alma that it will be a joint dedication (LADOTD/AHTD) at the state line sometime within the next 90 days.

Grzrd

AHTD, since designation of the completed segment is effective immediately, does the Department anticipate installing shields on the completed section before the Doddridge-to-state line section opens?

Grzrd

Quote from: dariusb on April 20, 2012, 12:41:18 AM
Quote from: Grzrd on April 19, 2012, 12:06:30 PM
I recently took a look at Texarkana's 25 year transportation plan (adopted September, 2009), which provides a plan through 2035.  Page 15/44 of the Proposed Transportation Projects pdf sets forth TxDOT's Unconstrained Project List, which are projects that have been identified but are not within the twenty-five year scope of the plan (they are given a "Year of Expenditure" of 2036). Both I-49 and the Northern Loop are in TxDOT's "YOE 2036" category ...
I don't know why the Texas portion of I-49 and the Northern Loop are projected to be built so far into the future especially considering the area the road will be going through, just north of Northwest Texarkana/Redlick, is the fastest developing part of the city. Hopefully it's built well before 2036 otherwise it will be a big mess.

This June 24 TV video reports that a public meeting was recently held in Atlanta, TX regarding the new, upcoming twenty-five year plan:

Transportation officials met with residents in Northeast Texas Tuesday night to discuss future transportation needs.
The public meeting was held at the TXDOT District Headquarters in Atlanta.
Officials outlined transportation goals in the state and region for the next 25 years ....
Texas Department of Transportation spokesperson Marcus Sandifer says there are more than 1,000 people entering the state each day and that's why there's a great demand for transportation needs.
"We have two interstate highways that are coming through this area, I-49 and I-369*," explained Sandifer.

He says they're reaching out to the public for feedback on the future of all transportation modes including, transit, pedestrian, bicycle and freight.
TXDOT officials are holding meetings in all 25 districts.
Sandifer says another big issue they plan to address is the state's aging infrastructure and the challenges with funding.
"We have very limited funds that we have to deal with, so we need everyone's ideals on what can be done and the most efficient and safest ways to use the funds," said Sandifer.

It will be interesting to see if I-49 and the Northern Loop will be beyond the scope of this twenty-five year plan, too.  The Texarkana MPO's website indicates that the public comment period for its Metropolitan Transportation Plan is scheduled to begin on August 18 (the MPO has also scheduled an Open House public meeting regarding the plan on August 18).

Quote from: Grzrd on June 01, 2013, 10:19:27 PM
This excerpt from the map on page 19 (page 25/30 of pdf) of the I-69 Advisory Committee Report and Recommendations demonstrates that both the I-369 designation for US 59 and development of the West Loop relief route are Priorities for the Segment One Committee:

Given that, during the past five year period, the Segment One Committee identified the West Loop as a priority, it will be interesting to see if the West Loop appears in the twenty-five year plan, and, if so, how far into the future.

edit

Speaking of I-49 and I-369, I wonder if the below left-hand BGS from the TV video will need to be modified to include I-49 once AHTD installs the I-49 shields from the Texas state line to the Louisiana state line?:

AHTD

Quote from: Grzrd on June 25, 2014, 03:16:58 PM

AHTD, since designation of the completed segment is effective immediately, does the Department anticipate installing shields on the completed section before the Doddridge-to-state line section opens?

No, we will wait until the last section is complete and the highway is open to traffic. At least that's the decision as of today.

Could change.

US71

Quote from: AHTD on July 10, 2014, 02:49:47 PM

No, we will wait until the last section is complete and the highway is open to traffic. At least that's the decision as of today.

Could change.
That may confuse people looking for I-49 and finding AR 549. Maybe some "Future" signage at strategic points?

bugo

Quote from: US71 on July 10, 2014, 03:01:21 PM

Could change.
That may confuse people looking for I-49 and finding AR 549. Maybe some "Future" signage at strategic points?

Ha!  Like that prevented them from leaving the I-540 shields up for at least long enough for everybody to get used to the new number.  AHTD: trying to confuse drivers since 1913.

Grzrd

Quote from: US71 on July 08, 2014, 03:58:28 PM
Quote from: bugo on July 05, 2014, 07:38:41 AM
I ordered my copy, but will it be online before it comes in the mail?
Doesn't appear to be on-line yet, but I received my maps today.
- I-49 replaces I-540 north of Alma. Also along AR 549 south of Texarkana (which is also shown as complete into Louisiana.
(above quote from When will the PDF of the 2014 Arkansas highway map be online?(AHTD) thread)

Since the 2014-15 Arkansas Highway Tourist Map is now online, it is worth noting that, in addition to I-49's first appearance on the map, I-369 makes its initial appearance:

Quote from: US71 on July 10, 2014, 03:01:21 PM
Could change.
That may confuse people looking for I-49 and finding AR 549.

Why wait? May as well install the new signage in order to match the new map.

RBBrittain

This may be splitting hairs, but noteworthy that we are not a DOT. We do not regulate ports, airfields or railroads. Our responsibility is only the highways.
I knew about ports & airfields, but I thought AHTD did regulate the railroads -- at least what little state regulation survived the Staggers Rail Act.  Wasn't that part of the old Transportation Commission, whose powers went to AHC & AHTD after Nick Wilson got it shut down?

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on April 01, 2014, 10:30:34 PM
Quote from: US71 on February 05, 2014, 07:21:37 PM
SB 549 at 151

NB 549 at 151

As an aside, it's strange that the "thru" highway (549) exits.  I wonder if AHTD will ever change this?
AHTD, with the upcoming redesignation of AR 549 to I-49, I-49 will need to replace AR 549 on the above two signs.  To follow up on US71's question, does AHTD intend to make I-49 the "through" route when these signs are replaced?

AHTD, this snip of the Texarkana inset on the back (city) side of the 2014-15 Arkansas Highway Tourist Map does not reflect I-49 as the "through" route:

Is this simply a map oversight/carryover from the AR 549 designation, or does the Department intend to make I-49 the "through" route?

amroad17

Wasn't the freeway leading to/from Texas finished before the AR 549/Future I-49 section was completed?  This could be the reason Future I-49 is not the "through route" besides the interchange being a directional-T.  As long as there are two lanes through each leg of the ramps, it should not matter which is the "through route."
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

US71

Quote from: amroad17 on July 12, 2014, 08:31:34 PM
Wasn't the freeway leading to/from Texas finished before the AR 549/Future I-49 section was completed?  This could be the reason Future I-49 is not the "through route" besides the interchange being a directional-T.  As long as there are two lanes through each leg of the ramps, it should not matter which is the "through route."
Yes.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.