News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Thriving Malls

Started by Roadgeekteen, June 06, 2021, 12:55:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rothman

Quote from: snowc on September 12, 2021, 04:00:25 PM
Quote from: Rothman on June 06, 2021, 08:45:43 AM
Not Destiny USA.  Some major losses over the pandemic.
How dare you diss my Destiny?!  :colorful: :colorful:
Just walked through it yesterday.  Although a lot of stores seem to be open, they are opening a trampoline gym...see also: Shoppingtown for what is in there now. :D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

achilles765

Quote from: CoreySamson on July 22, 2021, 05:04:13 PM
The Galleria in Houston and Brazos Mall in Lake Jackson are doing really well (at least prior to the pandemic). The Brazos Mall recently got rid of its Sears anchor and redesigned that space into a HomeGoods, TJMaxx, Ulta, and Ashley Furniture. They also added an Urban Air trampoline park around the back and did some sprucing up around the place.

Memorial City mall and the Woodlands mall are too. 
The last time I was at Gulfgate it looked busier than I would have expected it to have been.
I love freeways and roads in any state but Texas will always be first in my heart

Bruce

Quote from: hbelkins on September 12, 2021, 03:45:52 PM
The Richmond Mall in Kentucky, opened in the late 1980s (or possibly early 90s) is about dead.

Meanwhile, an open-air shopping center (Richmond Center) opened not too far away in recent years. It's basically a strip mall with a bunch of separate structures scattered about. It's not walkable at all; you pretty much have to drive from store to store. Some of the stores that used to be in Richmond Mall are now in Richmond Center (JC Penney and a cineplex) and other stores similar to those in the mall are in the new shopping center (JoAnn's Fabrics was in the mall; Michael's is in the new center). Why it's more desirable to spread things out like that is beyond me.

Sadly this is the way things are trending. Having each store visible from the road and "closer" to parking (even if it actually requires more walking across unpleasant parking deserts) is more attractive to retailers than a spot in an enclosed mall. A walkable mall is one of the sole decent placemakers in a suburb, so the death of them shows just how far gone we are when it comes to walkability.

snowc

Quote from: Rothman on September 12, 2021, 04:05:17 PM
Quote from: snowc on September 12, 2021, 04:00:25 PM
Quote from: Rothman on June 06, 2021, 08:45:43 AM
Not Destiny USA.  Some major losses over the pandemic.
How dare you diss my Destiny?!  :colorful: :colorful:
Just walked through it yesterday.  Although a lot of stores seem to be open, they are opening a trampoline gym...see also: Shoppingtown for what is in there now. :D
The last time I was in there was in 2019.
Now its closed.  :wow: :pan:

kernals12

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.