News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Toll collectors - nostalgia for lost human touch

Started by Stephane Dumas, March 29, 2013, 10:47:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Gloves might also be for our protection.  A sick person hands in money, the toll collector hands it back out to you, your child sticks it in his mouth and gets sick....
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

formulanone

Quote from: kphoger on April 15, 2013, 08:56:57 PM
A sick person hands in money, the toll collector hands it back out to you, your child sticks it in his mouth and gets sick....

Feeding a kid money is a bad investment.

agentsteel53

Quote from: kphoger on April 15, 2013, 08:56:57 PM
Gloves might also be for our protection.  A sick person hands in money, the toll collector hands it back out to you, your child sticks it in his mouth and gets sick....

unless the gloves are explicitly coated with a germicide, they will not make an impact on a two-hop transmission like that.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

kphoger

Sorry, didn't think that through.  Let's try that again.

Sick toll collector hands you money, you get sick.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

djsinco

Quote from: kphoger on April 15, 2013, 04:06:04 PM
I should mention that I usually fill up with gas at at the grocery store.  So all prepaying makes me do is walk about 15 feet over to the window and back.

Do you buy all your groceries at a gas station to balance that?
3 million miles and counting

kphoger

I suppose you could say that, since the gas station and grocery store are the same company.
Male pronouns, please.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: kphoger on April 15, 2013, 09:36:54 PM
Sorry, didn't think that through.  Let's try that again.

Sick toll collector hands you money, you get sick.

Because sick patron handed toll collecter money; got toll collector sick.

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

agentsteel53

Quote from: jeffandnicole on April 16, 2013, 02:38:01 PM

it is a little-known fact that toll collectors are not allowed to ever leave their booth, for any reason. 
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Alps

Quote from: agentsteel53 on April 16, 2013, 02:59:32 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on April 16, 2013, 02:38:01 PM

it is a little-known fact that toll collectors are not allowed to ever leave their booth, for any reason. 
Other way around. Toll collectors are in fact prohibited from leaving the CHAIR. The booth was built around the chair for their protection.

djsinco

Sounds like an OSHA ergonomics violation to me.

One more reason for Chris Christie to get rid of 'em altogether!

Alps

Quote from: djsinco on April 16, 2013, 08:57:49 PM

Sounds like an OSHA ergonomics violation to me.

One more reason for Chris Christie to get rid of 'em altogether!
Well, he'll have to be reelected to have a shot at that, and there's no guarantee it will happen in the next 4 years. The timetable for all-electronic on the Turnpike is indefinite (and not even all that definite on the Parkway), so collectors are probably around for at least one more election cycle. Who's up in 2017/2018?

djsinco

In the early 1970's, there was a toll collector in the GSP who was selling weed to those who had the secret password. He worked at night on the northernmost northbound toll barrier (Bergen County.)

How's that for nostalgia?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.