News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Recent posts

Traffic Control / Re: Practices unusual for your...
Last post by bzakharin - Today at 12:25:03 PM
This is the only "End Speed Zone" sign I'm aware of in all of New Jersey:
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9164349,-74.9816156,3a,61.8y,53.34h,75.36t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1s4IWnStVupgID1eC_q7wugQ!2e0!5s20230401T000000!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu
Usually they just post the new speed limit, and in fact there was a "Speed Limit 25" beyond the curve at this location, which is now gone for some reason. They seem to be more common in the surrounding states around here. Not sure how common they are elsewhere.
Quote from: 1995hoo on May 01, 2024, 08:40:41 AMThe one in the Huntsville image seems like it's there specifically to allow thru traffic to get around stopped left-turners, which is a nice option to have. The flip side of that is this one on VA-235 in Fairfax County, Virginia, which is expressly labelled as being solely for use as a bus stop (note the small white sign). I don't use that road all that often, but I assume the "bus only" restriction is routinely ignored.

Looking at the one in Athens, the one there seems to be for the same purpose.
Northeast / Re: New York
Last post by kalvado - Today at 12:10:36 PM
Quote from: Plutonic Panda on Today at 11:30:38 AM
Quote from: vdeane on May 01, 2024, 08:55:12 PMThe materials from tonight's open house on I-787, including potential concepts, are online.

https://webapps.dot.ny.gov/reimagining-i-787
Why do they Even bother with tunnel options since we know, especially given a lot of posters here Who just go with the status quo of oh, it's too expensive. Doesn't make sense blah, blah blah.

I mean, even now, it seems like every other country and their dog are able to build tunnels with no problem. We just can't do it in the united states. It should have been done in Syracuse, but they didn't do it So what makes anyone think they're gonna do it here. They need to keep this freeway. But i'm sure they will go with the boulevard option. Par for the course with new york.
Welcome to the fourth world, mister.
Pacific Southwest / Re: Westside Parkway & Centenn...
Last post by roadfro - Today at 12:09:08 PM
Quote from: Sani on May 01, 2024, 12:26:25 AMBut the "lack of signage" on EB 58 before the exits to 99 and Ming... I dunno what to tell you, man. Two giant overhead signs weren't enough?
If you're on EB 58, do you really need a sign to tell you how to stay on EB 58...? Just don't exit!

Technically, if they used two APLs upstream, they also should have installed an APL at the actual exit. But the lane positioning guidance is clearly available upstream—and you'd have to be a moron to not know how this works by the time you get to the gore point.

What I think is more interesting and probably could have been done differently, is that from the actual theoretical gore point, there's a long painted gore, followed by a 'physical gore' of a different pavement material, before you get to the actual barrier wall that separates off the SB 99 ramp. (see https://maps.app.goo.gl/qQbczpMxb4RHGZdp9) To me, that barrier wall should extend further out to physically separate the traffic earlier, and provide an earlier indication more apparent to drivers where the actual split occurs.

But hey, I didn't notice all this when I drove the segment during the Bakersfield meet. I was able to stay on EB 99 just fine...
Southeast / Re: North Carolina
Last post by The Ghostbuster - Today at 11:51:33 AM
A continuous-flow intersection would likely take up less space than the existing traffic circle. It would also require plowing down all the trees within the circle, but if it improves traffic flow, it will be a plus. Can continuous-flow intersections work for an intersection that has five legs, like this one does?
Last post by The Ghostbuster - Today at 11:42:41 AM
I don't know about Syracuse, but I would love to see more tunnels built in the United States. I was disappointed that the 710 tunnel in Los Angeles wasn't built, and the Gowanus Expressway Tunnel in New York City was canned. A tunnel bypassing the Brooklyn Heights segment of the Brooklyn-Queens Expressway will probably never be built either, but it was a noble idea considering how difficult it will be to reconstruct the double-decked segment under the Brooklyn Heights Promenade.
Northeast / Re: Connecticut News
Last post by The Ghostbuster - Today at 11:31:15 AM
Since Connecticut doesn't want to build anything (or just do the bare minimum), I doubt RobbieL2415's idea would ever come into fruition, even if it was an improvement over the status quo.
Last post by Plutonic Panda - Today at 11:30:38 AM
Quote from: vdeane on May 01, 2024, 08:55:12 PMThe materials from tonight's open house on I-787, including potential concepts, are online.

https://webapps.dot.ny.gov/reimagining-i-787
Why do they Even bother with tunnel options since we know, especially given a lot of posters here Who just go with the status quo of oh, it's too expensive. Doesn't make sense blah, blah blah.

I mean, even now, it seems like every other country and their dog are able to build tunnels with no problem. We just can't do it in the united states. It should have been done in Syracuse, but they didn't do it So what makes anyone think they're gonna do it here. They need to keep this freeway. But i'm sure they will go with the boulevard option. Par for the course with new york.
Southeast / Re: North Carolina
Last post by bob7374 - Today at 11:30:13 AM
NCDOT is planning a public meeting this summer on their proposal to change the Pinehurst Traffic Circle into a "Continuous Flow Intersection":
https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2024/2024-05-01-improvements-pinehurst-traffic-circle.aspx
Northeast / Re: What is it with I-95 & bri...
Last post by The Ghostbuster - Today at 11:27:18 AM
Bad luck?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.