News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Locally famous foods

Started by webny99, January 17, 2018, 10:27:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

Has anyone here heard of (or even eaten) a trash plate?
Basically, it looks like a big mess, hence the name, but it's home [square] fries, macaroni salad, and hot sauce, with a burger or two on top. You either like it, or you don't, but, naturally, I think they're great  :D
Grape pie is another upstate specialty, which originated in Naples, NY, and also tastes amazing.
And, of course, buffalo wings. Even though they're available around the country now, they never taste quite as good as they do right here where they originated  :D

Feel free to share what your regional food specialties are, and if you recommend trying them or not.

abefroman329

Quote from: webny99 on January 17, 2018, 10:27:35 PM
Has anyone here heard of (or even eaten) a trash plate?

Yes, although it was at a bar in NYC.  It didn't appeal to me, too many ingredients/foods I don't like.

Italian beef/sausage sandwiches - yes
Deep dish pizza - yes
Tamales - yes
Pizza puff - not really
Old Style - yes
Malort - hell no

hbelkins

Cincinnati-style chili (best known through Skyline and Gold Star).

Also popular in the Cincinnati area is something called goetta.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

inkyatari

Quote from: hbelkins on January 18, 2018, 12:06:27 PM

I LOVE Cincinnati style chili. In fact, when I make chili at home, that's the kind I make.  It is so delicious.  That having been said, I don't think there's a chili style I don't like.  Except for my failed attempt at chocolate chili

As for local foods, Chicago is the home of the Italian Beef sammich, and it's a thing of beauty.
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

cl94

Albany has hot dogs with meat sauce (often mini hot dogs), mozzarella sticks with raspberry sauce, and the Albany-style fish fry (fried fish filet on a hot dog roll).
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

roadman65

Benigets in Southern Louisiana is only known to them.  They are a powered deep fried pastry served best with coffee and you can find them mostly in NOLA, the French Quarter, but even Houma has them, 50 miles away.

I do not think I have seen a Zepoli or Stromboli outside the NYC metro area.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

hotdogPi

Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

abefroman329

I've seen stromboli advertised at pizzerias all over the country, although whether they're actually calzones, I couldn't tell you.

abefroman329

Yeah, I just don't get the appeal.  I tried it at Great American Ballpark, didn't like it, figured I needed to go to a real Skyline, went to one, got some there, and it still wasn't doing it for me.

Looks like scrapple.

abefroman329

Quote from: roadman65 on January 18, 2018, 01:25:49 PM
Benigets in Southern Louisiana is only known to them.  They are a powered deep fried pastry served best with coffee and you can find them mostly in NOLA, the French Quarter, but even Houma has them, 50 miles away.

I've seen them on menus at Cajun restaurants in other parts of the country, but I've never had ones that are as good as the ones at Cafe du Monde.

cl94

Quote from: abefroman329 on January 18, 2018, 01:44:09 PM
Looks like scrapple.

Scrapple uses cornmeal. Goetta uses oats. That is the difference.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

vdeane

Don't forget white hot dogs for Rochester.  Utica has chicken riggies.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

abefroman329

Quote from: vdeane on January 18, 2018, 02:20:55 PM
Don't forget white hot dogs for Rochester.

And poppy seed hot dog buns in Chicago.

inkyatari

Quote from: abefroman329 on January 18, 2018, 03:10:27 PM

A Chicago dog is a thing of beauty.

kphoger

Quote from: inkyatari on January 18, 2018, 03:14:20 PM
Quote from: abefroman329 on January 18, 2018, 03:10:27 PM

A Chicago dog is a thing of beauty.

A Chicago dog is the first time I ever liked a hot dog.  I still remember where it was, too:  Union Station.  To this day, I can barely tolerate a hot dog with just ketchup, but I love 'em love 'em love 'em with all the goodies piled on top.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

formulanone

Quote from: inkyatari on January 18, 2018, 12:42:52 PM
As for local foods, Chicago is the home of the Italian Beef sammich, and it's a thing of beauty.

This is my go-to order at Portillo's when in Chicagoland; wet with hot peppers.

Lou Malnati's pizza if time permits (because there's always leftovers).

I do not think I have seen a Zepoli ...outside the NYC metro area.

A couple pizzerias in South Florida have them, but they're usually New York transplants, so that's not terribly surprising.

spooky

zeppoles are common in the Italian-centric part of RI.

Other RI-specific foods:

-pizza strips or tomato pie - basically cold pizza with thick sauce and no cheese, cut in strips instead of triangular slices.
-clear broth clam chowder
-"NY system" hot weiners AKA gaggers - The "NY system" name is because they are similar to a coney island dog. Typically served with celery salt, yellow mustard, meat sauce and onions

webny99

Quote from: vdeane on January 18, 2018, 02:20:55 PM
Don't forget white hot dogs for Rochester.  Utica has chicken riggies.

Dang! 0-2 record today! We typically just call them white hots.
Binghamton also has a specialty, which I tried once, called "speidies" I think, but I have no idea the correct spelling.

roadman

Quote from: spooky on January 18, 2018, 03:34:32 PM

zeppoles are common in the Italian-centric part of RI.

Other RI-specific foods:

-pizza strips or tomato pie - basically cold pizza with thick sauce and no cheese, cut in strips instead of triangular slices.
-clear broth clam chowder
-"NY system" hot weiners AKA gaggers - The "NY system" name is because they are similar to a coney island dog. Typically served with celery salt, yellow mustard, meat sauce and onions
Hold on there - you forgot the coffee milk to wash it all down with.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

inkyatari

I just realized I've said "thing of beauty" twice in this thread.

Well, three times now.

HazMatt

Livermush - looks and sounds disgusting but is awesome.

Jim

Quote from: cl94 on January 18, 2018, 01:01:55 PM
Albany has hot dogs with meat sauce (often mini hot dogs), mozzarella sticks with raspberry sauce, and the Albany-style fish fry (fried fish filet on a hot dog roll).

Interestingly enough, having lived around here most of my life, I just always assumed one could get hot dogs with meat sauce pretty much anywhere.  It's definitely something you can get at any respectable hot dog place around here.  I recommend Mike's on Erie Blvd. in Schenectady, or if you want the mini ones, Gus's in Watervliet.
Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

briantroutman

I do not think I have seen a... Stromboli outside the NYC metro area.

Are we talking about the same thing? A rectangle of dough typically topped with tomato sauce, mozzarella, and salami, rolled up into a cylinder and baked?

I don't think I've ever seen a local pizzeria in PA that didn't sell them.

Quote from: spooky on January 18, 2018, 03:34:32 PM
Other RI-specific foods:

tomato pie - basically cold pizza with thick sauce and no cheese, cut in strips instead of triangular slices.

I don't know if it's precisely the same thing, but a cheese-less, cold tomato pie is supposedly a Philadelphia tradition–developed, I understand, as a means to use up leftover hoagie roll dough.

jp the roadgeek

CT foods:

New Haven style pizza (thin crust).  Frank Pepe's is world renowned, but Sally's and Modern are also well known.

CT style lobster roll: Served hot with drawn butter.

The original hamburger: Served as Louis' Lunch in New Haven.  Uses white bread instead of a bun, and fries are not on the menu

Steamed cheeseburgers

Grinders:  Usually refers to the hot variety of sandwich, but order one outside of New England and you'll get looked at like you have 3 heads.  We also gave the world Subway
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

NJRoadfan

Quote from: kphoger on January 18, 2018, 03:23:27 PM
A Chicago dog is the first time I ever liked a hot dog.  I still remember where it was, too:  Union Station.  To this day, I can barely tolerate a hot dog with just ketchup, but I love 'em love 'em love 'em with all the goodies piled on top.

Come to NJ, you can get a hot dog any way you want it.
Notable varieties:
-The Italian Hot Dog made famous by Jimmy Buff's
-The Texas Weiner..... which has nothing to do with Texas at all, it originated in Paterson or Plainfield NJ depending on who you ask

http://www.nj.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2015/07/njs_25_best_hot_dog_joints_and_why_jersey_is_the_c.html

Other notable foods:
-Pork Roll/Taylor Ham
-Decent bagels
-Great pizza
-South Jersey and Philly is known for something called a panzerotti, similar to a calzone
-Disco fries (fries with gravy on top)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.