News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

How do you write the date?

Started by MisterSG1, January 23, 2018, 09:32:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: english si on January 25, 2018, 07:41:55 AM
Quote from: formulanone on January 25, 2018, 07:22:28 AMIt's called "culture" for everyone else who does something "different", but if you're an American, it's "foolish behavior".
Where did I say that?

Sure, I said month-day-year is illogical, but this was talking about month-day vs day-month where both are equally logical, but there's ambiguity as to which different system is being used.

I really don't get why you are being so huffy about this.

Some people just don't understand dry humor.

formulanone

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on January 25, 2018, 07:43:51 AM
Quote from: formulanone on January 25, 2018, 07:22:28 AMIt's called "culture" for everyone else who does something "different", but if you're an American, it's "foolish behavior".
Where did I say that?

Sure, I said month-day-year is illogical, but this was talking about month-day vs day-month where both are equally logical, but there's ambiguity as to which different system is being used.

Some people just don't understand dry humor.

Nonsense. I even wrote "programme" out of the cultural sensitivities of my audience. :)

I think due to confusion it could cause, the numerical date format won't easily change in America. There's not even a consensus on how to pronounce February.

Takumi

Quote from: formulanone on January 25, 2018, 07:22:28 AM
It's called "culture" for everyone else who does something "different", but if you're an American, it's "foolish behaviour" .
Fixed ;) But +1.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

J N Winkler

As long as we are talking about dates of terrorist attacks, I'd comment that "11-M" (the usual Spanish contraction for "11 de marzo de 2004") is nicely unambiguous.  Searches on "7-J" and "11-S" (using browser plugin) also go directly to the appropriate articles in Spanish Wikipedia.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

kphoger

Quote from: english si on January 24, 2018, 01:47:49 PM
Indeed, what weirdos say "January the twenty-third" rather than "the twenty-third of January"? Is it like Richard the third, where it's the third Richard?  :-D

Verbalizing the "and" between month and date, to us, sounds like verbalizing the "and" between hundreds and tens when saying a number.  You probably say 320 as "three hundred and twenty," whereas a good many Americans say it as "three hundred twenty," and sticking the "and" in there sounds a little weird.

"January the twenty-third" is only like Richard the Third (being the third Richard) insofar as "Third February" is like him as well.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

1995hoo

Quote from: kphoger on January 25, 2018, 01:48:09 PM
Quote from: english si on January 24, 2018, 01:47:49 PM
Indeed, what weirdos say "January the twenty-third" rather than "the twenty-third of January"? Is it like Richard the third, where it's the third Richard?  :-D

Verbalizing the "and" between month and date, to us, sounds like verbalizing the "and" between hundreds and tens when saying a number.  You probably say 320 as "three hundred and twenty," whereas a good many Americans say it as "three hundred twenty," and sticking the "and" in there sounds a little weird.

I think you mean "verbalizing the 'the' between month and date," don't you?

Regarding "and" between hundreds and tens, this thread is making me vaguely recall a grammar-school teacher who was adamant that we not use the "and" because she insisted the "and" is correct only when referring to a decimal point or, more likely, a fraction, such as if you wanted one and a half pounds of fish or whatever. Her position never made any sense to me, but I certainly wasn't going to suffer a lower grade over something stupid like that, and the habit has just stuck with me for all these years. It sounds weird to me when my wife's Garmin says to "take Exit One Hundred and Seventy-Three on the right." I would say it as "Exit One Seventy-Three." If I were writing a check for $173, I would write "One Hundred Seventy-Three" (and whatever cents, of course, usually "and no cents" because most checks I write are to move money between our own bank accounts).

Edited to add: The thing that teacher was right about is that if a number is a decimal, you state each digit after the decimal point individually: 173.35 is "one hundred seventy-three point three five," not "one hundred seventy-three point thirty-five." But this made her idea that "one hundred and seventy-three" allegedly means 100.73 all the more illogical: If you have to state each digit after the decimal separately, then it makes no sense whatsoever to interpret the "and seventy-three" as referring to a ".73," does it?
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Rothman

I kind of like the idea of changing all of those titles of Shakespeare's plays.

The Third Richard
The Fifth Henry

The Fourth Henry, The Part of the First... :D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Eth

Quote from: 1995hoo on January 25, 2018, 04:49:50 PM
Quote from: kphoger on January 25, 2018, 01:48:09 PM

I think you mean "verbalizing the 'the' between month and date," don't you?

Regarding "and" between hundreds and tens, this thread is making me vaguely recall a grammar-school teacher who was adamant that we not use the "and" because she insisted the "and" is correct only when referring to a decimal point or, more likely, a fraction, such as if you wanted one and a half pounds of fish or whatever. Her position never made any sense to me, but I certainly wasn't going to suffer a lower grade over something stupid like that, and the habit has just stuck with me for all these years. It sounds weird to me when my wife's Garmin says to "take Exit One Hundred and Seventy-Three on the right." I would say it as "Exit One Seventy-Three." If I were writing a check for $173, I would write "One Hundred Seventy-Three" (and whatever cents, of course, usually "and no cents" because most checks I write are to move money between our own bank accounts).

Edited to add: The thing that teacher was right about is that if a number is a decimal, you state each digit after the decimal point individually: 173.35 is "one hundred seventy-three point three five," not "one hundred seventy-three point thirty-five." But this made her idea that "one hundred and seventy-three" allegedly means 100.73 all the more illogical: If you have to state each digit after the decimal separately, then it makes no sense whatsoever to interpret the "and seventy-three" as referring to a ".73," does it?

I'd say it's a difference in usage between number as identifier ("take exit one-seventy-three...") and number as quantity ("...and drive for two hundred and twenty-nine miles").

For numbers as quantities, I generally omit the "and" in written form, but use it when speaking. Dropping the "and" in speech sounds overly formal to me.

SSOWorld

With a pen or a pencil, otherwise with a keyboard.

There, It has been said.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

slorydn1

Quote from: SSOWorld on January 25, 2018, 08:18:27 PM

There, It has been said.

You forgot to add crayon and magic marker, too.  :bigass:
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

DaBigE

Quote from: slorydn1 on January 25, 2018, 08:20:03 PM

There, It has been said.

Chalk, paint brush, stamps, spray can, quill, appendage  :sombrero:
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

Beltway

I use MM-DD-CCYY.

Note the dashes (not slashes) for better readability, and the full year to avoid any confusion with the years 01 thru 31.

Today is 01-26-2018 or 1-26-2018. 

Leading zero can be suppressed, while they are stored in computer data files, usually they would be suppressed on a generated report.

http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Hurricane Rex

Quote from: DaBigE on January 25, 2018, 08:39:25 PM
Quote from: slorydn1 on January 25, 2018, 08:20:03 PM

There, It has been said.

Chalk, paint brush, stamps, spray can, quill, appendage  :sombrero:
Laser cutter, 3d printer? Ink. They all print dates   :bigass:
ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

formulanone

Quote from: Takumi on January 25, 2018, 09:35:53 AM
Quote from: formulanone on January 25, 2018, 07:22:28 AM
It's called "culture" for everyone else who does something "different", but if you're an American, it's "foolish behaviour”.
Fixed ;) But +1.

I can never remember if the u goes before the o; I'm terrible at remembering multiple-vowel spellings, except for "beautiful".

Worst case example is asking me to spell that piece of furniture / government department that begins with B and I'll mentally spell it buryirow if there's no spell-checker*.

* foolish behaviour

1995hoo

Quote from: Beltway on January 26, 2018, 01:20:02 AM
I use MM-DD-YYCC.

What does "CC" indicate in this notation ("notation" meaning as quoted above, not the actual numbers themselves)? If you'd written "MM-DD-CCYY," I'd understand "CC" to denote "century," but that doesn't appear to be the case.

mgk920

Me?  Unless requested otherwise, I always do the 'ISO 8601' thing (YYYY-MM-DD).  It's the least ambiguous format that I know of.

Mike

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Well, that's just like your opinion man...

Otto Yamamoto

Where did I say that?

'Cause you hurt his feelings by dissing America.

P00I

KEK Inc.

The day is the most variable number and the most important.  I would write 26 Jan 2018 or 26.01.18, which is the international standard anyways... 
Take the road less traveled.

Beltway

Quote from: 1995hoo on January 26, 2018, 09:45:20 AM
Quote from: Beltway on January 26, 2018, 01:20:02 AM
I use MM-DD-YYCC.
What does "CC" indicate in this notation ("notation" meaning as quoted above, not the actual numbers themselves)? If you'd written "MM-DD-CCYY," I'd understand "CC" to denote "century," but that doesn't appear to be the case.

Misprint.  Should have been MM-DD-CCYY

[fixed it]
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Scott5114

Quote from: KEK Inc. on January 26, 2018, 11:20:36 PM
The day is the most variable number and the most important.  I would write 26 Jan 2018 or 26.01.18, which is the international standard anyways... 

The day is the most important number?

When did Thomas Jefferson become President? The 4th.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

J N Winkler

Wikipedia's article on date formats by country references endianness:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Date_format_by_country

Apropos of the discussion upthread about the UK, it also specifies instances where the date is written month first in Britain (newspaper banner dates and the like).
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

CNGL-Leudimin

By the way, I mentioned earlier my standard is Day/Month. However, with the month spelt out I allow for regional variations, and thus in this forum and also in the Chinese metro threads over at Skyscrapercity I quote dates as Month/Day to reflect local usage.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

mgk920

1995hoo

Quote from: mgk920 on January 27, 2018, 10:37:10 AM
Quote from: TheArkansasRoadgeek on January 26, 2018, 12:00:32 PM
I write it 2018 C.E. :) :-D

Hunh?

:confused:

Mike

People who object to "BC"  and "AD"  often use "BCE"  and "CE,"  respectively, to denote "Before Common Era"  and "Common Era."  I suppose you could suggest that since Jesus is generally agreed to have been a real person, regardless of whether you believe he should be assigned any religious significance, it could be appropriate to date the years as before and after his estimated birth (you wouldn't use "Christ"  because that's a title–his parents weren't Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Christ). Problem with that is, "Before Jesus"  would lead to an unfortunate abbreviation:

"Julius Caesar was assassinated on March 15, 44 BJ."  

"Hmmm. I hadn't realized assassination was a happy ending."

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.