News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

One-word regional accents

Started by empirestate, February 08, 2018, 08:52:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

empirestate

Here's another dialect question: Can you think of any instances where a person speaks without any noticeable accent, except for that one word that will always give them away?

Down here close to NYC, that word is always "forward". I will hear people talk all the time, without any noticeable regional accent whatsoever, until suddenly they'll come out with "fo'ward", and I instantly know they're from somewhere near the city (typically New Jersey or Long Island or another suburban area; natives of the five boroughs seem to retain the full-fledge accent, I find).

Where else does this occur? Just a single word, mind you–not just New Englanders dropping all R's, or Midwesterners broadening all A's, etc.

kurumi

"Woarsh" (as in laundry) is a pretty clear shibboleth even for an otherwise neutral-sounding midwestern accent.

I remember being indignant to hear the Iowa side of our family saying that we New England kids had an accent but in hindsight they were right -- both sides did.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

KEVIN_224

In Boston, it would, undoubtedly, be SAWX! I'll take the BRAWNKS, thank you!

jwolfer

Quote from: kurumi on February 08, 2018, 09:02:34 PM
"Woarsh" (as in laundry) is a pretty clear shibboleth even for an otherwise neutral-sounding midwestern accent.

I remember being indignant to hear the Iowa side of our family saying that we New England kids had an accent but in hindsight they were right -- both sides did.
Everyone has an accent

Z981

jwolfer

My mom is from North Florida. She was a professional ballet dancer for a time, was with San Francisco Ballet back in the 1960s, ballet  dancers DO NOT have Southern accents! So she lost her accent

She married my dad moved to his hometown on the Jersey Shore where I grew up. The word that gave her away was UM-brella.. and another was not really accent but rather usage... Buggy for shopping cart, which I use as well.

Y'all is a give away for a southerner.. easy to pick up because it fills a need in most dialects

Z981

bandit957

Might as well face it, pooing is cool

bandit957

Is there anyone who thinks 'egg' doesn't rhyme with 'plague'? To me, they rhyme, but all the later dictionaries disagree.

hotdogPi

Quote from: bandit957 on February 08, 2018, 09:38:21 PM
Is there anyone who thinks 'egg' doesn't rhyme with 'plague'? To me, they rhyme, but all the later dictionaries disagree.

They don't rhyme. The "a" in "plague" makes an "ay" sound, while the "e" in "egg" doesn't.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

7/8

No, but I rhyme "bag" and "plague". The sound I use seems to be somewhere between a long "a" [IPA: e(i)] and a short "a" [IPA: æ] with a nasally sound.

Also, the e in "egg" sounds a bit different from the e in "Ed" for me.

1995hoo

My father grew up in Brooklyn. You wouldn't know it from talking to him (in fairness, he hasn't lived there since 1969), but when you hear him pronounce a word that starts with an "h,"  you immediately know he's from somewhere in New York City–words like "huge,"  "Houston"  (the city, not the street), or "human,"  all of them the sort where the "h"  is felt but not really heard. (Yes, this is all similar to the way the President pronounces "huge" –so, phonetically, it's like "yuge,"  "Youston,"  or "yuman." )

Regarding the other issue, "egg"  doesn't sound anything remotely like "plague."
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

webny99

Quote from: 1 on February 08, 2018, 09:40:50 PM

They don't rhyme. The "a" in "plague" makes an "ay" sound, while the "e" in "egg" doesn't.

If you're from the south, the e in egg does indeed make that sound. It's not "ehgg", it's "aigg".  ;-)

Another thing is, if you say "ahss", southerners will thing you're saying "ice", but East coasters will think you're saying "ass".  :-D

cjk374

The words rhyme with some southerners. I have heard it, but they don't rhyme with me.

Quote from: webny99 on February 08, 2018, 10:27:42 PM

If you're from the south, the e in egg does indeed make that sound. It's not "ehgg", it's "aigg".  ;-)

Another thing is, if you say "ahss", southerners will thing you're saying "ice", but East coasters will think you're saying "ass".  :-D

My uncle always told me you pronounced "ass" by saying "ayss" (really long "ay" sound).
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Brandon

Quote from: webny99 on February 08, 2018, 10:27:42 PM

And in Inland North, it sounds more like "us" .
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Takumi

I've only ever heard "radiator"  pronounced with the first A sounding like "radical"  from people from Delaware and eastern PA.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

webny99

Quote from: cjk374
My uncle always told me you pronounced "ass" by saying "ayss" (really long "ay" sound).

From the south, no doubt?  ;-)

Quote from: Brandon

I try to say "us" with that pronunciation and it sounds bad enough that I want to gag  :-D
I totally know people that do it, though.

bandit957

I remember Mister Rogers pronouncing "lever" as "leever." Is that a Pittsburgh thing?

sparker

Quote from: bandit957 on February 08, 2018, 11:28:13 PM
I remember Mister Rogers pronouncing "lever" as "leever." Is that a Pittsburgh thing?

More of a British thing, although some Canadians (usually from Ontario east) also use that pronunciation. 

US 89

Quote from: sparker on February 09, 2018, 12:15:41 AM
Quote from: bandit957 on February 08, 2018, 11:28:13 PM

More of a British thing, although some Canadians (usually from Ontario east) also use that pronunciation.

The other common Canadian thing I'm familiar with is pronouncing "tomorrow"  as "to-more-ow"  and "sorry"  as "sore-y" .

Brandon

Quote from: webny99 on February 08, 2018, 10:53:12 PM
Quote from: cjk374

From the south, no doubt?  ;-)

Quote from: Brandon

I try to say "us" with that pronunciation and it sounds bad enough that I want to gag  :-D
I totally know people that do it, though.

Northern Cities Vowel Shift.

The short vowels are shifted a bit.
a = "ya" or "e-a", as in cat sounding like "kyat" and map sounding like "me-ap".
e = "eh", as in bet sounding like "beht".
i = "ih", as in bit sounding like "biht".
o = "ah", as in cot sounding like "cat" to others.
u = "o" or "ah" type sound, as in bus sounding like "boss" to others.

For me, cot and caught sound totally different.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

inkyatari

My mother in law is originally from Toronto, but you wouldn't know it unless she says "about" ("aboot",) or "mom" (mum.)
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

jwolfer

Quote from: 1995hoo on February 08, 2018, 10:23:49 PM
My father grew up in Brooklyn. You wouldn't know it from talking to him (in fairness, he hasn't lived there since 1969), but when you hear him pronounce a word that starts with an "h,"  you immediately know he's from somewhere in New York City–words like "huge,"  "Houston"  (the city, not the street), or "human,"  all of them the sort where the "h"  is felt but not really heard. (Yes, this is all similar to the way the President pronounces "huge" –so, phonetically, it's like "yuge,"  "Youston,"  or "yuman." )

Regarding the other issue, "egg"  doesn't sound anything remotely like "plague."
I do that too.. growing up in NJ I got the "yuge". One of my friends likes to point it out when ever I say it

Z981

Rothman

Quote from: inkyatari on February 09, 2018, 09:33:01 AM
My mother in law is originally from Toronto, but you wouldn't know it unless she says "about" ("aboot",) or "mom" (mum.)
Or "project."  First time meeting with Ontarians I had to stifle giggles at the way they said it.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

briantroutman

^ I think Alex Trebek can "pass"  until a contestant gives an incorrect answer and he says "soo-ree"  or he gives a contestant's winning total in "doo-lars" .

jwolfer

Quote from: Rothman on February 09, 2018, 09:48:32 AM
Quote from: inkyatari on February 09, 2018, 09:33:01 AM
Or "project."  First time meeting with Ontarians I had to stifle giggles at the way they said it.
Like on "South Park" .. Blame Canada!

Z981

abefroman329

Bugs Bunny used to say "leever."

For anyone who grew up in/near Philly, it's "wuh-der" for "water" and "dooring" for "during."

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.