Most beautiful areas of your state / province

Started by inkyatari, March 01, 2018, 09:09:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SectorZ

Quote from: Rothman on March 01, 2018, 09:32:22 AM
Quote from: roadman on March 01, 2018, 09:18:45 AM
For Massachusetts, it would clearly be the Berkshires, with Cape Cod a close second.
I will post a picture from Mount Sugarloaf in the Pioneer Valley north of the Holyoke Range to contend with the idea that the Berkshires are the most scenic.

Berkshires are thick forest and the views from even the tops of the hills can be obscured by surrounding ranges.  I would take the view from Mount Holyoke (Skinner Mountain) over Mount Greylock any day.

Also, Berkshires have Pittsfield and North Adams.  Blech. :D

Pittsfield and North Adams belong to the Taconics.

SectorZ

For New Hampshire to my north, I think the White Mountains win the nod, followed by the Lakes Region, the coastal area, then the southwest part of the state.

Hurricane Rex

Top 10 for Oregon:

10. Columbia Gorge: I may be generous here. It lost a lot of its beauty with the Eagle Creek Fire but its still self-explanatory why it deserves a spot on the list.

9. Mt. Hood: I don't like the crowds but the Northside is a nice reprieve from the city life.

8. Kalmialpsous (misspelled) wilderness: You don't understand unless you've been there.

7. Three Sisters: a Unique triple volcano with world-class skiing nearby and excessive hiking and climbing opportunities.

6. Smith Rocks/Crooked River/Deschutes River Canyons: Words can't describe it well enough.

5. Southern Oregon Coast: different from the rest of it also being more mountainous.

4. Painted Hills: Self-explanatory

3. Crater Lake: Self-explanatory

2. Oregon Coast: Tillamook to Florance: Self-explanatory

1. Wallowas: IMO it is the most diverse alpine area and if you only stay on the roads, you don't understand the true beauty of the mountains, and the lakes with the unique flora and fauna make it a place I can't get enough of.
ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

Flint1979

For Michigan I'd have to say either the area around Traverse City or the western U.P.

GaryV

Quote from: Flint1979 on March 02, 2018, 06:30:37 PM
For Michigan I'd have to say either the area around Traverse City or the western U.P.
FIFY

I couldn't decide what to reply for Michigan.  There are so many choices:  Porkies, Keweenaw, Tahquamenon, Whitefish Point, Bond Falls, Mackinac, Pictured Rocks, Leelanau and Mission Peninsulas, Sleeping Bear, Silver Lake. shoreline drives like US-2 or M-28, the hills and lakes in north-central LP ...

Rothman

Quote from: SectorZ on March 02, 2018, 01:39:31 PM
Quote from: Rothman on March 01, 2018, 09:32:22 AM
Quote from: roadman on March 01, 2018, 09:18:45 AM
For Massachusetts, it would clearly be the Berkshires, with Cape Cod a close second.
I will post a picture from Mount Sugarloaf in the Pioneer Valley north of the Holyoke Range to contend with the idea that the Berkshires are the most scenic.

Berkshires are thick forest and the views from even the tops of the hills can be obscured by surrounding ranges.  I would take the view from Mount Holyoke (Skinner Mountain) over Mount Greylock any day.

Also, Berkshires have Pittsfield and North Adams.  Blech. :D

Pittsfield and North Adams belong to the Taconics.
Pfft.  You come out of the Taconics into where they are in Berkshire County.  If Lee, Lenox and Stockbridge are the Berkshires, then Pittsfield and North Adams are well.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

webny99

Quote from: GaryV on March 02, 2018, 06:39:43 PM
I couldn't decide what to reply for Michigan.  There are so many choices:  Porkies, Keweenaw, Tahquamenon, Whitefish Point, Bond Falls, Mackinac, Pictured Rocks, Leelanau and Mission Peninsulas, Sleeping Bear, Silver Lake. shoreline drives like US-2 or M-28, the hills and lakes in north-central LP ...

I agree - Michigan is a beautiful state, especially the UP. It has its own distinct atmosphere; peaceful and charming, but not without rugged character. Pictured Rocks and Mackinac are my picks, and US 2 and M-35 rank among my favorite drives of all time.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: webny99 on March 02, 2018, 11:16:58 PM
Quote from: GaryV on March 02, 2018, 06:39:43 PM

I agree - Michigan is a beautiful state, especially the UP. It has its own distinct atmosphere; peaceful and charming, but not without rugged character. Pictured Rocks and Mackinac are my picks, and US 2 and M-35 rank among my favorite drives of all time.

Speaking of the UP has anyone mentioned M-26 on the Keewenaw Peninsula?   That might be the closest cluster of old mining towns until Colorado.  Those shoreline views heading south from Copper Harbor over Lake Superior rival M-22. 

golden eagle

Mississippi:

The Gulf Coast, particularly away from Gulfport and Biloxi
The Natchez Trace along the Ross Barnett Resevoir

thenetwork

Colorado:   Anything WEST of I-25!     :bigass:

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: thenetwork on March 04, 2018, 08:13:33 PM
Colorado:   Anything WEST of I-25!     :bigass:

Personal favorites of mine:

-  Trail Ridge in Rocky Mountain National Park
-  Pikes Peak Highway
-  Great Sand Dunes
-  Black Canyon of the Gunnison
-  Colorado National Monument
-  US 550/Million Dollar Highway/San Juan Skyway
-  Mesa Verde
-  Dinosaur National Monument

US 89

Utah: anywhere at all. True, some places are better than others, but I don’t think there are many places where you don’t notice the scenery.

Rothman

Quote from: roadguy2 on March 04, 2018, 11:59:19 PM
Utah: anywhere at all. True, some places are better than others, but I don't think there are many places where you don't notice the scenery.
You kidding?

The Salt Lake Valley is downright ugly.  You look at the mountains so you don't look at the polluted, suburban mess. 

My wife worked in Salt Lake and she'd go to the top of the Church Office Building just to try to get some cleaner air.

Oh, and then there's the whole west side. Smell Grantsville some time:  Blech.

And, finally, there is that armpit that is Ogden.

Yes, a lot of Utah is scenic.  But all of it?  Not by a long shot.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

jakeroot

Quote from: Rothman on March 05, 2018, 04:20:04 PM
Quote from: roadguy2 on March 04, 2018, 11:59:19 PM
Utah: anywhere at all. True, some places are better than others, but I don't think there are many places where you don't notice the scenery.

You kidding?

The Salt Lake Valley is downright ugly.  You look at the mountains so you don't look at the polluted, suburban mess.

Yeah, I noticed this when I was there a few years ago. The state overall has plenty of natural beauty, but the Salt Lake metro area was not particularly beautiful. Too industrial.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.