News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Cool non chain motel/ landmarks that are presently operating or defunct

Started by roadman65, March 03, 2018, 11:14:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

Someone in another forum mentioned Exit 16A on I-295 in NJ and I distinctly remember the giant windmill for the former Dutch Motel that was located there.  I believe Motel 6 took it over, but removed the landmark windmill.

George Washington Motor Lodge had two locations in the Philadelphia area, both of the PA Turnpike with another in Whitehall, PA off US 22.  The regional cluster, as I won't say its a chain due to only a couple of locations, has closed its doors.

In Bridgewater, NJ the Red Bull Motor Lodge still (or it was in 2012 at least) holding on.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Roadrunner75

Quote from: roadman65 on March 03, 2018, 11:14:43 PM
Someone in another forum mentioned Exit 16A on I-295 in NJ and I distinctly remember the giant windmill for the former Dutch Motel that was located there.  I believe Motel 6 took it over, but removed the landmark windmill.

I remember the Dutch Inn and its windmill well - Around my college years we actually went to the little bar in there once.  There are plenty of places in NJ that would probably qualify for this topic - a trip up and down 130 or 1 would find a few.

Remember this place along 1/9 in Rahway?

roadman65

Yes, it had dopplegangers on US 22 in Greenbrook and US 202 & 206 in Somerville.

I believe that tower is gone but the hotel is there and upgraded.  Many of the Rahway roach motels that existed from CR 514 to Milton Avenue are now rebuilt chain motels.  I am guessing Rahway decided to clean up their red light district along Edgar Road especially since NJDOT redid the Rahway River Bridge and made the area look a little better.  I say that last line cause that incinerator right at where US 1 & 9 make the curve north of the River is not adding any beauty to the area.  Considering it is seen as soon as both US 1 & 9 merge together in Woodbridge and from just south of the Bayway Refinery on the straight sections of the highway, it cannot be pleasing most locals of the area.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

CapeCodder

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.