News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Claire’s files for bankruptcy

Started by US71, March 19, 2018, 03:55:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Brandon

I guess even teen girls don't want fake jewelry anymore.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

roadman

Quote from: Brandon on March 19, 2018, 05:18:53 PM
Or perhaps pierced ears aren't the "right of passage" they once were for young girls.  Although, it could be simpler than that - there are TOO many malls with all the same stores in this country.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

jakeroot

Quote from: roadman on March 19, 2018, 06:54:50 PM
Or perhaps pierced ears aren't the "right of passage" they once were for young girls.  Although, it could be simpler than that - there are TOO many malls with all the same stores in this country.

There's a lot more to their business than just piercing ears. I think the issue here is how much they expanded internationally in the last six years (taking on too much debt).

LM117

Not with that attitude, mister!
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

US71

Quote from: jakeroot on March 19, 2018, 07:12:22 PM

There's a lot more to their business than just piercing ears. I think the issue here is how much they expanded internationally in the last six years (taking on too much debt).

*DING*
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

kkt

Expanding too fast and taking on too much debt.  I'm seeing a pattern in the bankruptcies.

jakeroot

Quote from: kkt on March 20, 2018, 01:51:08 PM
I think the issue here is how much they expanded internationally in the last six years (taking on too much debt).

Expanding too fast and taking on too much debt.  I'm seeing a pattern in the bankruptcies.

I believe a good local example was Haggen's, which went from like 20 stores to over 160. Now they're back down to 15, meanwhile, several Top Food's stores that were operating just fine are now abandoned: https://goo.gl/fWCRNv.

Brandon

Quote from: kkt on March 20, 2018, 01:51:08 PM

HH Gregg was a classic example.  They only had a few stores around Indianapolis until Circuit City bit the dust.  Then they expanded everywhere, taking over old Circuit City buildings.  They expanded too fast and took on a ton of debt.  A few years later, they themselves went out of business.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

cjk374

We went to Claire's this past weekend at the Louisiana Boardwalk. They had a "buy 3 get 3 free" sale going on. My daughter was in heaven. She got her first ear piercing from them a few years ago and wants another.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.