News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

US 70N in Oklahoma

Started by bugo, March 26, 2018, 05:22:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugo

The 1937 map published by the Oklahoma Department of Highways shows a US 70N running from Randlett to just west of Wilson. The route is now numbered US 277-281, OK 5, OK 53 and OK 76. It only appeared on the 1937 map. The 1936 map shows US 70 running along US 277 from Randlett north to what is now OK 5, then OK 53 through Walters and to Comanche, south on US 81 to Waurika then east on the current US 70 to Ardmore and points beyond. It shows the highway east of Comanche as OK 53 and the road south to Healdton as OK 76. The 1938 map shows US 70 roughly following today's US 70 from Randlett to Ardmore and the highway from Comanche to Wilson via Healdton as OK 53 and OK 76, which is the way they are numbered today. Does anybody have any further information? The only mention I can find on it is on Wes Kinsler's old Oklahoma Highways site which has a blurb about it. I wonder if it was some sort of compromise that was rapidly discarded when US 70 was rerouted between Randlett and Waurika.

Mapmikey

This US 70N is also shown on 1936 county maps of the area - https://catalog.archives.gov/id/5836296

The 1930s did have a number of short-lived US route changes that only lasted a year or two.  US 321 extension to Bristol and US 90 extension north of Van Horn are two examples I know of that were definitely signed.

Bobby5280

Just from looking at the route alignment it's easy to see why the US-70N designation never lasted. The only thing it appeared to do was give Walters a US Highway connection rather than just have a junction of state highways (OK-5 & OK-53). If there was ever any lasting evidence of the existence of US-70N in this area, such as old road signs, it certainly must have disappeared long ago.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.