News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Illinois notes

Started by mgk920, September 12, 2012, 02:19:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pianocello

^^That's disappointing about the lane addition, they need it especially between Briggs and 30. It'll be nice to see them fix the bridge and the surrounding interchanges, though. Have they mentioned a timeline at all?
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

captkirk_4

Quote from: johndoe780 on February 01, 2018, 01:16:38 AM
Quote from: paulthemapguy on January 31, 2018, 08:56:20 PM
Quote from: dvferyance on January 31, 2018, 07:03:27 PM
Quote from: inkyatari on January 29, 2018, 11:14:53 AM
Quote from: paulthemapguy on January 29, 2018, 11:07:15 AM
Will County is pretty much totally snubbed by them--same with the far N and NW suburbs.  No Illiana, no I-80 river bridge, no improved Plainfield access, no Houbolt-Laraway bridge, and this isn't going to happen either.  I'll believe it when I see it.

They did widen 55 about 6-7 years ago.

Granted they did a shitty job, but still..
They did becasue the 3rd lane should have gone down to Arsenal Road. But right now I think I-57 in southern Cook County should be a high priority.

I agree.  Upgrading 80 in the inner Joliet area desperately needs to be done.  6-laning from IL-7 to Minooka can wait a little bit, but I'd still really like to see it.  Then you have I-57, though.  6 lanes to Sauk Trail or so--yes please!

I-57 needs to be 6-laned to at least Monee. I'm assuming the costs wouldn't be extraordinary high compared to I-80 as I-57 doesn't cross a river and you have plenty of ROW in the median.

I was surprised how quickly it goes down to just two lanes less than a mile after turning onto 57 southbound from 80. But at least during the time I drove it traffic still moved fairly quickly, just much too close for my comfort with the distances between the cars. It's always a relief to see so many of these cars getting off at the next few exits and by Peotone the highway is fairly comfortable.

inkyatari

Quote from: Rick Powell on February 01, 2018, 10:52:03 PM
They have a SB I-55 to EB I-80 flyover, otherwise the interchange stays as is.

This is bullshit.  They need an EB I-80 to NB I-55 flyover more.  I drive that every morning, and every morning it's slow with all the damn semis on the ramp.
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

triplemultiplex

Quote from: inkyatari on February 02, 2018, 08:50:41 AM

This is bullshit.  They need an EB I-80 to NB I-55 flyover more.  I drive that every morning, and every morning it's slow with all the damn semis on the ramp.
This.
The one movement I thought they could get away with leaving a loop ramp is the one to get the upgrade? That's dumb.
This interchange is screaming for high-speed flyovers for EB -> NB and WB -> SB.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

paulthemapguy

Quote from: triplemultiplex on February 02, 2018, 09:10:43 AM

This.
The one movement I thought they could get away with leaving a loop ramp is the one to get the upgrade? That's dumb.
This interchange is screaming for high-speed flyovers for EB -> NB and WB -> SB.

NB-to-WB is the only "left turn" movement of the four, which isn't used a whole lot.  EB-to-NB is probably the most important.  Long-range trips will use the WB-to-SB movement, which will largely be overlooked by IDOT with their tunnel-vision focus on only local matters. 

In short, the left-turn movement that was granted a flyover by these plans is THIRD on the list of FOUR.  It's the second-worst choice they could have made.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 391/425. Only 34 route markers remain!

inkyatari

Quote from: paulthemapguy on February 02, 2018, 09:38:22 AM

This.

NB-to-WB is the only "left turn" movement of the four, which isn't used a whole lot.  EB-to-NB is probably the most important.  Long-range trips will use the WB-to-SB movement, which will largely be overlooked by IDOT with their tunnel-vision focus on only local matters. 

In short, the left-turn movement that was granted a flyover by these plans is THIRD on the list of FOUR.  It's the second-worst choice they could have made.

THey should just look at a damn map! It should be plainly obvious to anyone with eyes the best directions for new flyovers.

Rick Powell

Quote from: captkirk_4 on February 02, 2018, 08:48:49 AM
I was surprised how quickly it goes down to just two lanes less than a mile after turning onto 57 southbound from 80. But at least during the time I drove it traffic still moved fairly quickly, just much too close for my comfort with the distances between the cars. It's always a relief to see so many of these cars getting off at the next few exits and by Peotone the highway is fairly comfortable.

If it's any comfort, the new/reconstructed interchanges at Stuenkel Road, 6000 North Road, and IL 50 were all designed with a future lane expansion in mind.

Rick Powell

Quote from: pianocello on February 02, 2018, 12:27:57 AM
^^That's disappointing about the lane addition, they need it especially between Briggs and 30. It'll be nice to see them fix the bridge and the surrounding interchanges, though. Have they mentioned a timeline at all?

The 5 mainline bridges directly east of the Des Plaines River (Chicago, Hickory Creek, Richards, Rowell/CN and BNSF/Gardner) are in design now, and they were saying might get on a construction letting this year depending on how things go, and they apparently will be 4 lanes in each direction between Chicago and Richards. There is currently no money in the budget for any of the other pieces. The revised IDOT budget for FY 2019-2024 should be out in the next few months and may or may not include additional work.

Brandon

Quote from: inkyatari on February 02, 2018, 01:54:37 PM

This.

THey should just look at a damn map! It should be plainly obvious to anyone with eyes the best directions for new flyovers.

IDOT, common sense?  You mistake them for an agency that knows its head from its ass.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

dvferyance

I know this is kind of non related but I was wondering what was the purpose of the Brisbin Rd interchange? There is nothing there why was it done?

Rick Powell

Quote from: dvferyance on February 02, 2018, 07:09:48 PM
I know this is kind of non related but I was wondering what was the purpose of the Brisbin Rd interchange? There is nothing there why was it done?

The interchange is where the limits of Channahon, Morris and Minooka meet. The interchange was planned when there was phenomenal growth in the area, before the "development bubble"  hit, so lots of commercial and industrial development planned near the exit was put on hold. Long range, the plan is to connect Brisbin Road going north with Grove Road in Kendall County with an improved route that can handle big trucks, providing another north-south traffic route. The interchange does provide some functionality today for the industries east of the interchange along US 6 to more easily access I-80 than before.

paulthemapguy

Not unrelated, and a totally good question lol

Thanks user Rick Powell for the explanation above.  I suppose that was an impetus to straighten out Grove Road around IL-126?  I use that road all the time now, but only because of the realignment a couple years back.  I'm glad the region is planning strategic north-south corridors, like the Wikaduke (Ridge-Stewart-Eola) and Grove/Brisbin.  I think similar approaches led Weber Road to be as souped-up as it is today.  Chicagoland has plenty of advanced radial corridors, but circumferential routes need focused development to grant full suburban mobility.

johndoe780

Quote from: Rick Powell on February 03, 2018, 11:12:50 AM

The interchange is where the limits of Channahon, Morris and Minooka meet. The interchange was planned when there was phenomenal growth in the area, before the "development bubble"  hit, so lots of commercial and industrial development planned near the exit was put on hold. Long range, the plan is to connect Brisbin Road going north with Grove Road in Kendall County with an improved route that can handle big trucks, providing another north-south traffic route. The interchange does provide some functionality today for the industries east of the interchange along US 6 to more easily access I-80 than before.

Isn't there a whole bunch of industrial activity going on in that area currently?

mrsman

Quote from: Brandon on February 02, 2018, 06:46:07 PM
Quote from: inkyatari on February 02, 2018, 01:54:37 PM

This.

IDOT, common sense?  You mistake them for an agency that knows its head from its ass.

As all have been saying this is really dumb.  Taking the long view, I-80 is basically E-W and I-55 is basically SW-NE.  The left turns that are acute angles will have less traffic than the turns that are obtuse angles, because taking the acute angle essentially means backtracking. 

The SB-EB movement is backtracking.  And furthermore, the long distance traffic that may make the movement has a freeway shortcut to make that movement in a relatively short distance, namely the toll I-355.  This is not the movement that needs help.

The EB-NB movement, as all have said, is the busiest of the loop movements.  And the busiest loop movement with regard to truck traffic.  All traffic from Iowa that follows BGS signs on I-80 that say Chicago will need to take this ramp to actually reach Chicago. 

Unless it is changed before construction, this is a serious oversight by IDOT.

That being said, if two opposing left movements are both turned into flyovers the weaving issues will be eliminated in all directions.  Currently, in every direction, you have: (1)exit, (2)entrance loop, (3)exit loop, (4)entrance with singnificant weaving between (2) and (3).  With flyovers, you will have (1) exit flyover, (2) exit, (3) entrance loop, (4) entrance  OR (1) exit, (2) exit loop, (3) entrance, (4) entrance flyover which will eliminate weaving and one of the two loops.  Of course, the best loops to eliminate are the busiest loops.

Rick Powell

Quote from: johndoe780 on February 04, 2018, 02:45:21 PM
Isn't there a whole bunch of industrial activity going on in that area currently?

None right at the interchange yet. The Grundy County landfill is about 2 miles west along US 6, and several industries like Azko Nobel, Equistar, and Aux Sable Liquid Products are about 2 miles east along US 6. The industry to the east has been there for years, under different names (in the 80s the big plants were Northern Petrochemical and Alumax).

Rick Powell

Quote from: paulthemapguy on February 04, 2018, 01:53:13 PM
Thanks user Rick Powell for the explanation above.  I suppose that was an impetus to straighten out Grove Road around IL-126? 

Yes, Kendall County is trying to do their part in developing these multi-county routes, and the Grove realignment is part of it, as well as the recent realignment of Ridge Road at the south side of IL-126. Grundy County's plans for Brisbin Road north of the interchange are shown at
https://www.grundyco.org/highway/highway-public-meetings-for-brisbin-road-reconstruction-project/
The plan is for an initial 2 lane design,, an interim 4-lane design and an ultimate 6-lane design, from the Brisbin interchange to the north county line. However, the brochure at the site stated that the 2-lane improvements were projected to start in 2016, and I am not aware of any construction being done yet.

inkyatari

Quote from: Rick Powell on February 04, 2018, 11:24:43 PM
Quote from: johndoe780 on February 04, 2018, 02:45:21 PM

None right at the interchange yet. The Grundy County landfill is about 2 miles west along US 6, and several industries like Azko Nobel, Equistar, and Aux Sable Liquid Products are about 2 miles east along US 6. The industry to the east has been there for years, under different names (in the 80s the big plants were Northern Petrochemical and Alumax).

My dad used to work at Northern Petrochemical.  Then it changed name several times.  Northern, INternorth, HNG Internorth, USI, Enron..  It changed so often I joked to my dad that they should just take all the signs down and replace them with chalkboards.

abefroman329

On Saturday, traveling west on the Eisenhower between the ramp from southbound Wacker and the Old Post Office, I noticed temporary construction signs directing travelers to I-90/94 North.

inkyatari

Does anybody know if there's been a higher than usual incidence of cracked or broken windshields reported on I-55 over the last couple years?

I recently had to have my windshield on my car repaired after driving I-55 from Weber Rd. to Lorenzo rd.  I've had other windshield incidents over the last couple years, and just the other night, my wife's van got hit by a rock.  55 from Weber to Channahon, but especially from IL-126 to US 52 has been notoriously bad lately. I know the extreme cold in December didn't help things, but the condition, as I keep harping on, has always been bad since the widening.

johndoe780

I had a chip in my windshield on wise road one time after they salted the roads. I was not following a salt truck however

Brandon

Quote from: inkyatari on February 21, 2018, 07:37:35 PM
Does anybody know if there's been a higher than usual incidence of cracked or broken windshields reported on I-55 over the last couple years?

I recently had to have my windshield on my car repaired after driving I-55 from Weber Rd. to Lorenzo rd.  I've had other windshield incidents over the last couple years, and just the other night, my wife's van got hit by a rock.  55 from Weber to Channahon, but especially from IL-126 to US 52 has been notoriously bad lately. I know the extreme cold in December didn't help things, but the condition, as I keep harping on, has always been bad since the widening.

Yes.

All of my windshield cracks have come from I-55 between 80 and 355.  Had one in January 2009 just before 126 southbound, another in early 2012 from near the same area.  Got one on a different car northbound between 126 and Weber in 2014, followed by a large rock chip (fixed) in summer 2016.  Just got one (on a car less than a year old), which I suspect is from a rock thrown up on I-55 southbound, again, near 126.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

ET21

Quote from: Brandon on February 21, 2018, 10:29:33 PM

Yes.

All of my windshield cracks have come from I-55 between 80 and 355.  Had one in January 2009 just before 126 southbound, another in early 2012 from near the same area.  Got one on a different car northbound between 126 and Weber in 2014, followed by a large rock chip (fixed) in summer 2016.  Just got one (on a car less than a year old), which I suspect is from a rock thrown up on I-55 southbound, again, near 126.

I had rocks puncture my lower bumper from trucks on I-55 heading towards 53. 2 clean holes and a scrape on the lower skirt
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

abefroman329

I think the solution is clear: Stay off of I-55.

paulthemapguy

Quote from: Brandon on February 21, 2018, 10:29:33 PM

Yes.

Wow, I had no idea this was such an issue!  I think the consensus of people in this thread is that the widening of I-55 was a pretty poor-quality project, but I didn't realize it had consequences that were this dire and this destructive!  I just hate the various failures to meet the MUTCD that appear everywhere and the deterioration rate of the pavement!  Now I'm to understand the pavement also lacks the cohesion to keep pieces from flying around the roadway?  I'm lucky I don't have to drive this stretch since I live right next to it!  I'm on I-55 a whole lot north of US30 and south of IL59, but almost never in between.

Revive 755

NB to WB does get a decent amount of traffic per IDOT's ADT map (https://www.gettingaroundillinois.com/gai.htm?mt=aadt.  It is also a movement I would hope that would not be precluded from getting a flyover in the future given the industrial developments along I-55 south of the Des Plaines River or in a more optimal development the Illiana comes back to life.

Based on the meeting exhibit, the new ramp would be more of a turbine ramp that a semi-direct flyover.  Other meeting exhibits are available here.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.