News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Reply option missing for this topic:

Started by Brian556, May 07, 2018, 12:21:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian556

The Reply option is missing when I view this topic
[urlhttps://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=22786.0][/url]

US 89

hbelkins

Not sure why that topic was locked, as it's a perfectly logical question, unless it was ruled to be similar to other topics already in existence. No explanation was given for why it was locked, as is usually the case.

I'd recommend starting a new topic on the subject and see what happens.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: hbelkins on May 07, 2018, 11:36:55 AM
Not sure why that topic was locked, as it's a perfectly logical question, unless it was ruled to be similar to other topics already in existence. No explanation was given for why it was locked, as is usually the case.

I'd recommend starting a new topic on the subject and see what happens.

If that's the case, then an explanation should be given and preferably, a link to an existing topic on the subject.

oscar

The way the question was phrased, it called for a yes or no answer. corco said "yes". End of story.

If the OP wanted a discussion, he should've phrased his question differently, preferably in a way showing he did a reasonable search for the previous threads on the subject, and that he was asking for something not covered in those threads.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

MNHighwayMan

Yes, but I doubt the OP intended to ask a simple binary yes/no question...

To me, it almost comes off rude to take his question literally, answer it, and then lock it with no further explanation.

hotdogPi

corco didn't lock it. He's a regional moderator, and the thread was posted in General Highway Talk.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

corco

Correct- I was not the one who locked it

MNHighwayMan

Oops, my bad. :ded:

That actually makes the whole situation kinda worse, though, IMO.

freebrickproductions

The thread should probably be unlocked, as not every state organizes their state route numbers. I know Alabama usually doesn't, and I don't think Tennessee does either, for example.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

oscar

Quote from: freebrickproductions on May 07, 2018, 03:00:52 PM
The thread should probably be unlocked, as not every state organizes their state route numbers. I know Alabama usually doesn't, and I don't think Tennessee does either, for example.

But that topic has thoroughly discussed before. Somebody who has reviewed the prior discussions, and can find a reason to start a new one anyway, is free to do so. Though probably better to instead add new material to an old discussion.

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

freebrickproductions

Quote from: oscar on May 07, 2018, 03:08:11 PM

But that topic has thoroughly discussed before. Somebody who has reviewed the prior discussions, and can find a reason to start a new one anyway, is free to do so. Though probably better to instead add new material to an old discussion.
Then we should probably get a link to the old thread.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

oscar

Quote from: freebrickproductions on May 07, 2018, 03:19:55 PM
Quote from: oscar on May 07, 2018, 03:08:11 PM

Then we should probably get a link to the old thread.

Anybody who wants to restart the old discussions (not me) can use the search box. Or at least scroll through the list of past topics in General Highway Talk or other relevant board.

adventurernumber1

Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

rickmastfan67

I'm guessing whichever Admin/Mod that locked it thought the person should have used the search box IMO, but should have made a post saying that too.  And no, I wasn't the one that locked it.

Alps

Quote from: adventurernumber1 on May 07, 2018, 04:34:37 PM
I think it is possible that these are the threads in question that already existed on the subject:

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=13427.0

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=10423.0

Added those to the locked thread as justification therefor.

hbelkins

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on May 07, 2018, 11:08:41 PM
I'm guessing whichever Admin/Mod that locked it thought the person should have used the search box IMO, but should have made a post saying that too.  And no, I wasn't the one that locked it.

Am I the only one who finds the search box to be wonky?

Yesterday I searched for the phrases "regional fast-food chain" and "regional fast food chain" and got no exact hits on either phrase, even though we've discussed that subject before. That's why I made the new thread with that title.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

briantroutman

^ No, you're not the only one. I find the built-in search tool to be very unreliable. When I want to find something on the forum, I'll generally go to Google and search for

site:aaroads.com/forum _______________

(with whatever I'm searching for in the blank).

On the subject of moderation, I understand that many of us are tired of seeing the same topics come up over and over again, but I also think that some responses to duplicate threads are a bit harsh (or curt...or both). We get a fair amount of new people here from time to time, and many of the roadgeek topics that one might be curious about aren't easy to precisely describe or search–particularly if you aren't familiar with correct terminology.

And when you add to that the fact that the search tool is basically useless, it's understandable why newcomers would have a hard time finding old threads. For example, the post linked at the top asked about state route numbering patterns. OK–I searched "state route numbering patterns"  (not in quotes) in the search box, here are the threads it returned:

• Fictional Highways / Portland-Vancouver; Willamette Valley
  • Central States / Iowa DOT historic construction plans now available online
  • Pacific Southwest / Re: U.S. 6 being signed on U.S. 101, on the Hollywood Freeway, confusion.
  • Pacific Southwest / Changes to California Highways (The Website) — June to September 2017
  • Pacific Southwest / Re: CA 59/CR J59
  • Southeast / SE Hurricane Routes lacking
  • Fictional Highways / Uncle Scotty's Fix for the I-73/74 Fustercluck!
  • Fictional Highways / My VA Renumbering Plan
  • Fictional Highways / Re: NJ Alternate Route History: Without the Great Renumbering
  • Fictional Highways / Re: Compilation: FritzOwl in one thread

Despite all of the discussions we've had on the topic, the search tool couldn't return one remotely relevant result in the top 10–and by the way, there were no relevant results in the other 20 that were returned either. Based on this, I couldn't fault a newcomer (or an old-timer) for not being able to find past threads on a subject.

oscar

I don't think the search box is a great fix. That's why I suggested the alternative of browsing the list of old topics in the appropriate board.

It is not too much, IMO, to ask newcomers not to start new threads without researching what's been done before, while they gain the experience needed to be familiar without a search about already-covered material.

kphoger

Quote from: oscar on May 08, 2018, 10:45:56 AM
I don't think the search box is a great fix. That's why I suggested the alternative of browsing the list of old topics in the appropriate board.

It is not too much, IMO, to ask newcomers not to start new threads without researching what's been done before, while they gain the experience needed to be familiar without a search about already-covered material.

Yes, someone should be expected to browse old thread topics, but I'd only expect them to browse the first page or so.  If an old thread is buried on page 4 or whatever, then I shouldn't expect someone to have found that–especially a newbie.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

signalman

Quote from: kphoger on May 08, 2018, 01:39:40 PM
Yes, someone should be expected to browse old thread topics, but I'd only expect them to browse the first page or so.  If an old thread is buried on page 4 or whatever, then I shouldn't expect someone to have found that—especially a newbie.
This.  And this is exactly what I did when I was new.  Although, to be fair, many newbies tend to be young and not even wet behind the ears yet and are eager to contribute. Even if it's something that common knowledge among us and has been discussed ad-nauseam.

US71

Quote from: kphoger on May 08, 2018, 01:39:40 PM
Quote from: oscar on May 08, 2018, 10:45:56 AM

Yes, someone should be expected to browse old thread topics, but I'd only expect them to browse the first page or so.  If an old thread is buried on page 4 or whatever, then I shouldn't expect someone to have found that–especially a newbie.

In that case, someone gently refers them to the original discussion.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

US 89

Quote from: hbelkins on May 08, 2018, 09:55:21 AM
Am I the only one who finds the search box to be wonky?

Yesterday I searched for the phrases "regional fast-food chain" and "regional fast food chain" and got no exact hits on either phrase, even though we've discussed that subject before. That's why I made the new thread with that title.

The problem with the search box is it only searches within the thread or board you're viewing at that time. So if you typed that phrase into the search box while viewing this topic, you'd only get results from your post above.

I find that if my search turns up several pages of results, then using quotes to narrow down the search is often helpful.

Brandon

A thread merge might have been a better idea.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.