News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Interstate 99

Started by Chris, January 19, 2009, 02:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris

For now, Interstate 99 is only an intrastate Interstate running in central Pennsylvania. However, I read that it will be extended via the US 15 corridor to Corning (I-86) in New York. The US 15 is currently rebuild to Interstate Highway standards in New York. Wouldn't it make sense to extend it all the way to Rochester, NY? Via the current I-390 and I-86 via Bath.

Alex

It will definitely head to Painted Post and Interstate 86, but that is several years off because the route in NYS is still not fully freewayized. As far as extending it northward, I hope it does not because I like Interstate 390 as it is.

ComputerGuy

Voyager

Yeah, definitely build it into 390, that's the most useless Interstate spur I know of.
Back From The Dead | AARoads Forum Original

Alex

Quote from: voyager on January 19, 2009, 06:22:27 PM
Yeah, definitely build it into 390, that's the most useless Interstate spur I know of.

What makes it so useless?

Voyager

It doesn't serve any major cities in PA.

John

Cough I-180 in IL, PA, and WY cough.
They came, they went, they took my image...

Voyager

agentsteel53

does this mean 99 will be mercifully renumbered?
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Alex

Quote from: agentsteel53 on January 19, 2009, 07:24:04 PM

does this mean 99 will be mercifully renumbered?

I got the neutered I-390 shield from Ebay in case they deep-six I-390 for I-99.  :banghead: I-390 resonates with me because it is the way to grandmom's.

Speaking of stupid I-390 things, there is/was (probably dead) this mini-golf place in Dansville. They had one course which had a loopdy-loop thing on it and they called the hole "I-390".

John

LOL there is a weird story. I like loop-de-loops (and mini-golf), too bad I won't be seeing that one.
They came, they went, they took my image...

Snappyjack

PA is currently working on the construction of new freeway and the upgrading of existing sections of U.S. 15, to hold I-99. New York, in 2006 finished re-constructing the I-86/U.S. 15(I-99) exit in Corning(Can you say pressure from PA?) with flyovers, etc. I believe they are starting to finish the U.S. 15 expressway from where it currently ends to the PA border.

It would make sense to take it to Rochester, but they could still keep I-390 if they wanted to.

rawr apples

Lets just mass produce I-390 signs and post them over 99
Now shut up and drivee

Alex

Quote from: Snappyjack on January 19, 2009, 11:40:39 PM
PA is currently working on the construction of new freeway and the upgrading of existing sections of U.S. 15, to hold I-99. New York, in 2006 finished re-constructing the I-86/U.S. 15(I-99) exit in Corning(Can you say pressure from PA?) with flyovers, etc. I believe they are starting to finish the U.S. 15 expressway from where it currently ends to the PA border.

It would make sense to take it to Rochester, but they could still keep I-390 if they wanted to.

The U.S. 15/I-86 stack is an nice improvement over the previous partial-cloverleaf interchange. That replaced a much cooler "circlechange", which I remembered from early childhood. http://terraserver-usa.com/image.aspx?t=2&s=12&x=408&y=5836&z=18&w=1%22

rawr apples

Nooo another roundabout junction taken away :(
I love those, the reason why I like driving in boston
Now shut up and drivee

Snappyjack

If you like roundabouts, check out Exit 12 on the Adirondack Northway portion of I-87, north of Albany. 5 roundabouts in a row.

Pretty ridiculous in my opinion.

Also, recently, NY 85 south of Albany was reconstructed and re-routed for a portion, and a roundabout was constructed at each intersection. I think there are about 4.

New York, especially in the eastern part of the state, loves roundabouts. To me, they are just band-aids to a longer term problem. Way overused as well.

akotchi

It is finally done between Tyrone and Stage College! 

So why does U.S. 220 still remain multiplexed with the Interstate, instead of going back to its old alignment.  I recall in the mid-1980's when portions of the southern section of freeway were still under construction, and U.S. 220 alternated between freeway and local road alignments.
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

treichard

PennDOT wants to encourage through traffic to use the I-99 freeway rather than two-lane old US 220 so much that they removed the temporary Alt US 220 through Milesburg, never bothered to sign Bus US 220 in Tyrone, and got rid of US 220 and US 322 on the two-lane road between State College and Bald Eagle without creating a new designation in its place.

For those wondering about the new north end, it doesn't quite reach to I-80 yet.  It stops at Musser Lane:

Along the southbound lanes, PennDOT put up a few extra I-99 shields on the non-I-99 part between there and I-80 to pretend the freeways do connect.  The last half mile or so is US 220/PA 26 with a speed limit at 45mph.  After two intersections ahead, the rural 55mph I-99 freeway begins.

Map your cumulative highway travel
Clinched Highway Mapping
http://cmap.m-plex.com/

Ian

hahaha it has an I-99 shield yet behind it is a sign for an at-grade intersection  :-D. i find that funny

i.c.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Alex

That's not the first time that has happened.

Incidentally this assembly is still in place as of New Year's Eve eve.

Chris

I-180 in Cheyenne, WY is also just an at-grade boulevard.

Some Texas Interstates also have access roads for remote ranches.

Alex

Quote from: Chris on January 24, 2009, 04:52:35 AM
I-180 in Cheyenne, WY is also just an at-grade boulevard.

Some Texas Interstates also have access roads for remote ranches.

Interstate 180 in Cheyenne is an at-grade Interstate. Four at-grades total, just the bridge over the Union Pacific Railroad Yard counts as "freeway-like"

It is also the only Interstate that you can walk to clinch  :)

Dougtone

Quote from: aaroads on January 19, 2009, 11:46:31 PM
Quote from: Snappyjack on January 19, 2009, 11:40:39 PM

The U.S. 15/I-86 stack is an nice improvement over the previous partial-cloverleaf interchange. That replaced a much cooler "circlechange", which I remembered from early childhood. http://terraserver-usa.com/image.aspx?t=2&s=12&x=408&y=5836&z=18&w=1%22

They did a nice job on the new stack, and it's much more fluid in traffic movement now.  With the construction of the stack interchange, NYSDOT did install reference markers (the little green signs) for I-99 (or 99I as NYSDOT inventory goes) at the stack in Painted Post.

Michael

Quote from: dougtone on January 24, 2009, 09:12:44 PM
They did a nice job on the new stack, and it's much more fluid in traffic movement now.  With the construction of the stack interchange, NYSDOT did install reference markers (the little green signs) for I-99 (or 99I as NYSDOT inventory goes) at the stack in Painted Post.

I'm going down that way in a few weeks, so I'll try to grab some pictures!

mightyace

Quote from: treichard on January 21, 2009, 12:31:42 AM
PennDOT wants to encourage through traffic to use the I-99 freeway rather than two-lane old US 220 so much that they removed the temporary Alt US 220 through Milesburg, never bothered to sign Bus US 220 in Tyrone, and got rid of US 220 and US 322 on the two-lane road between State College and Bald Eagle without creating a new designation in its place.

Interesting, I drove along I-80 at Christmastime (Dec. 22nd and 27th to be exact) and, at that time, t :confused:he ALT 220 routing was still on the BGS for exit 158 and was on the reassurance signs between exits 158 and 161.  The had, however, uncovered the I-99 sign at exit 161.

Having been born and raised in PA, I'm surprised PENNDOT could move that fast!  :confused:
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.