News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Roundabout junctions

Started by rawr apples, January 19, 2009, 11:52:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rawr apples

Are there any roundabout junctions outside of New England?
Kinds like these

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=I93&ie=UTF8&ll=42.419607,-71.103108&spn=0.010201,0.019312&z=16

I love these, but I havnt seen these outside of New England in this country
Now shut up and drivee

deathtopumpkins

Not that I've seen... They're the same basic design as a SPUI, which seems to be preferred around here.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

agentsteel53

there are a couple down here in San Diego.  In La Jolla, to be specific.  I also see them sporadically elsewhere.

they're huge in Europe of course.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Alex

U.S. 61 and Causeway Boulevard, one of my all time favorite interchanges

Taken 11/20/08.

Darkchylde

I've seen a conventional diamond with roundabouts at the ends in Colorado, I-70 Exit 168.

Alex

Quote from: Darkangel on January 20, 2009, 12:08:18 AM
I've seen a conventional diamond with roundabouts at the ends in Colorado, I-70 Exit 168.

You mean this one  :):

John

Those ones are dumbbells, they are also in Ohio and other places. The only time I've seen the one rawr_apples talked about is in this thread and SC4.
They came, they went, they took my image...

deathtopumpkins

I thought they were called dogbones...  :-/
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

John

Yeah I think they are also called that. Who knew, but they are also popular in Ireland. Oh yeah, and before I forget, exit 168 is part of a great road described here
They came, they went, they took my image...

rawr apples

ive heard both, but dumbbells is more prevelent I think. and theyre not really like SPUI's, not by a longshot.
Now shut up and drivee

deathtopumpkins

The one you posted is the same basic concept, if you think of a roundabout as a type of intersection.

rawr apples

Still dont get how theyre alike. Roundabouts allow traffic to keep going, and to give way of other cars. SPUI's require all vehicles to stop at certain points
Now shut up and drivee

deathtopumpkins

I'm talking about the actual interchange. You get off the ramp in the same place regardless of whether it's a SPUI or roundabout.

Voyager

I know what he's talking about. There are some in the US, but can't think of where. It's a roundabout placed right on top of an interchange, with the exit ramps leading onto it.
Back From The Dead | AARoads Forum Original

deathtopumpkins

I'm saying that both roundabout interchanges like the one rawr posted in the link at the top of the page and SPUIs like this one (that I drove through a lot.. I used to live off that exit) are exactly identical except for the type of intersection on the bottom. Sorry to confuse anyone.

As for the interchange you mentioned voyager, I actually built one of those a while back in SimCity: Actually, I converted it to a diamond and don't have a pic of the original, but here's one from a SC friend: http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/228/southclearviewoct241512sk8.jpg I've heard it called a volleyball too.

Voyager

deathtopumpkins

Ahh... kurumi! I have that bookmarked.  :banghead: Why didn't I look there...

Alex

There are two volleyballs that I know of: I-476 and U.S. 1 - http://www.northeastroads.com/pennsylvania001/us-001_nb_at_i-476_01.jpg and Interstate 240 at U.S. 70 - http://www.southeastroads.com/north_carolina050/us-070_wb_at_i-240_01.jpg. Both don't belong to this thread though.  :banghead:

Voyager

Do you know what they're talking about with the roundabout mounted onto an interchange?

deathtopumpkins

I'm getting confused now...  :-/ So I think it's best to make this my last post on this thread for now.

rawr apples

Now shut up and drivee

Voyager

Yeah, they have a few of those in the US.

rawr apples

Just saying, I've never seen them outside of the North East though..there is one in Arlington,VA
Now shut up and drivee

Alex

Well the original post was about the rotary based interchanges that are found in New England.

Interstate 93 at Willard Street in Quincy, MA.

The twin-roundabout interchange was mentioned later in the thread, which incorporates roundabouts in place of intersections at the end of the respective off/on-ramps in a conventional diamond interchange.

Maryland 100 Freeway at Meadowbridge Road

Chris

Quote from: agentsteel53 on January 20, 2009, 12:01:35 AM
they're huge in Europe of course.

Yeah, I had to negotiate 5 roundabouts to drive 1.5 miles in my former neighborhood. I hate them now, there are way too much of them in the Netherlands. They're extremely safe though, due to the slow speed, deadly collisions are rare.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.