News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Are cruise ships ever going to stop

Started by roadman65, March 02, 2015, 04:06:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

Why is it that each cruise ship companies (or lines) tries to build a new ship that seems to be the ships of all ships?  Every year they seem to come out with a brand new ship, that is larger then the one that was built the previous year.

Disney (who needs to stay out of the cruise ship business as they are into to much stuff already) built the Magic, then the Wonder, and I believe it was the Dream next, etc so they can compete with Norwegian and Carnival with bigger vessels.

Today on facebook I noticed this one here that basically looks like a building instead of a boat.  If you took this out of the water I am sure that it would be over 20 stories high sitting on dry land.  It already is that, but as we all know most ships can go down as much as 50 feet below the waterline and with them getting bigger it may be more than that now.
http://www.placesyoullsee.com/45-stunning-photos-from-the-largest-cruise-ship-ever/

Take a look at this here new ship that is out and about?  Not only is it a bit extravagant, but it is ugly to say the least.  Are cruise companies getting too ridiculous in the wars for vacationers between their rivals?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

02 Park Ave

C-o-H

Thing 342

NE2

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

roadman65

Quote from: Thing 342 on March 02, 2015, 04:57:01 PM
Possibly.
I would imagine they would at some point in time.  Sooner of later they will outgrow the harbors.

Sheryl Crowe

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

roadman65

I think I should have asked how many of us really travel on cruise ships.  I would imagine that many of us love roads here that many of us all travel by road.

Me personally I am not by far interested in cruise travel.  I have much more fun staying at a hotel at a prime location or have to move around land from place to place.  Plus who needs tons of food as those cruise ships over feed you.

Sheryl Crowe

Pete from Boston

Brian556

quote from raodman65:

Why is it that each cruise ship companies (or lines) tries to build a new ship that seems to be the ships of all ships?  Every year they seem to come out with a brand new ship, that is larger then the one that was built the previous year.

Disney (who needs to stay out of the cruise ship business as they are into to much stuff already) built the Magic, then the Wonder, and I believe it was the Dream next, etc so they can compete with Norwegian and Carnival with bigger vessels.

Today on facebook I noticed this one here that basically looks like a building instead of a boat.  If you took this out of the water I am sure that it would be over 20 stories high sitting on dry land.  It already is that, but as we all know most ships can go down as much as 50 feet below the waterline and with them getting bigger it may be more than that now.
http://www.placesyoullsee.com/45-stunning-photos-from-the-largest-cruise-ship-ever/

Take a look at this here new ship that is out and about?  Not only is it a bit extravagant, but it is ugly to say the least.  Are cruise companies getting too ridiculous in the wars for vacationers between their rivals?

I agree with what you are saying. It is annoying when people go overboard just to prove that they are better than someone else. It's kinda like all these men in Texas that have huge pickup trucks just to prove their manhood and wealth. Many work in offices and don't need them.

Just wait...someday this will come back to bite them in the ass big time. You think the Titanic was a disaster? Wait until one of these sinks. Remember that one of the reasons for the Titanic disaster was cockiness and overconfidence.

I have always refused to go on cruise ships. Too many people in a small area, also if something goes wrong, you're fucked, and cannot escape.

NE2

Quote from: Brian556 on March 02, 2015, 06:38:01 PM
It is annoying when people go overboard just to prove that they are better than someone else.
Pun intended?

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

DeaconG

Quote from: roadman65 on March 02, 2015, 04:06:12 PM

Uh, no: both Port of Miami and Port Canaveral are probably salivating right about now.
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

formulanone

Quote from: NE2 on March 02, 2015, 06:40:26 PM
It is annoying when people go overboard just to prove that they are better than someone else.
Pun intended?

Is that the best you can muster?

kphoger

Quote from: NE2 on March 02, 2015, 06:40:26 PM
Pun intended?

It's also bad for business, I'd imagine.
Male pronouns, please.

oscar

Quote from: roadman65 on March 02, 2015, 05:29:09 PM
I think I should have asked how many of us really travel on cruise ships.  I would imagine that many of us love roads here that many of us all travel by road.

I've never been on a cruise ship. though some of my non-roadgeek friends like them. Indeed, I ran into two of them on the beach when I was in south Florida last month; they had some time to kill between their flight arrival in Fort Lauderdale and their cruise out of its port. Cruise ships just have about zero appeal to me.

What I do like are long-haul auto ferries, with or sometimes without my car. Few frills, but often great scenery (especially the Alaska Marine Highway routes, many of which I've traveled), and much less expensive.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

jeffandnicole

I'm confused.  What's wrong with building bigger boats again? 

Are we supposed to limit ourselves to what has already been done, and that's it?  Would you have the same issue if someone wanted to build a bigger building?  Or wanted to create a faster plane? 

What's wrong with Disney being in the cruise business?  They appear to run a line of ships in good demand by their target audience.

Overall, cruise lines are extremely successful.  Even those that seemingly couldn't do anything right (Carnival) are still doing very well.

For the record, I've been on 2 cruises.  And I've been at 2 all-inclusives.  They provide unlimited food options too.  Maybe we can rant about that tomorrow.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 02, 2015, 09:48:24 PM
What's wrong with Disney being in the cruise business?

This was answered:

Quote from: roadman65 on March 02, 2015, 04:06:12 PM
they are into to much stuff already

hotdogPi

Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 02, 2015, 09:48:24 PM
I'm confused.  What's wrong with building bigger boats again? 

Paying extra for something unneeded.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

freebrickproductions

I went on a cruise up in Alaska several years back.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

Takumi

Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

adventurernumber1

I actually went on a Disney cruise with my family in Spring 2009 (and being with family made it quite enjoyable). It also gave me a chance to go on FL 528 for the first time (going from Orlando to Cape Canaveral, where the ship was) and do an almost-full clinch (the only section I haven't been on is FL 528 from I-4 to the Turnpike, as we got on it coming from the Turnpike). The ship went to the Bahamas and stopped on an island, so that gave us a chance to be on the beach some, and we also went to the island with the capital Nassau and checked that out. All I can remember doing on the ship most of the time is turning every last hallway into a driving simulator, pretending they were roads. When we were sitting in our room, I'd doodle roads in notebooks. I swear, my crazy mind can make anything fun by somehow putting roads into it. So all in all, I could say I had a pretty good time on that cruise, and I can say I've done one before. However, it's not the best way I'd want to spend my time, and if something bad did happen, I definitely wouldn't wanna be on no cruise ship.

Getting back on-topic, I must say that eventually cruise ships will have to stop getting more and more massive. We cant possibly get to a point where we've got a crazy large cruise ship that can fit NYC's entire population.
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

corco

Quote from: adventurernumber1 on March 02, 2015, 10:36:56 PM
I actually went on a Disney cruise with my family in Spring 2009 (and being with family made it quite enjoyable). It also gave me a chance to go on FL 528 for the first time (going from Orlando to Cape Canaveral, where the ship was) and do an almost-full clinch (the only section I haven't been on is FL 528 from I-4 to the Turnpike, as we got on it coming from the Turnpike). The ship went to the Bahamas and stopped on an island, so that gave us a chance to be on the beach some, and we also went to the island with the capital Nassau and checked that out. All I can remember doing on the ship most of the time is turning every last hallway into a driving simulator, pretending they were roads. When we were sitting in our room, I'd doodle roads in notebooks. I swear, my crazy mind can make anything fun by somehow putting roads into it. So all in all, I could say I had a pretty good time on that cruise, and I can say I've done one before. However, it's not the best way I'd want to spend my time, and if something bad did happen, I definitely wouldn't wanna be on no cruise ship.

Getting back on-topic, I must say that eventually cruise ships will have to stop getting more and more massive. We cant possibly get to a point where we've got a crazy large cruise ship that can fit NYC's entire population.

If you believe in global warming and that the ice caps will melt and the sea level will rise, flooding the planet, we may all need to live on boats and become a seafaring civilization. Disney and Carnival are just looking out for the best interests of civilization by developing this technology in advance.

oscar

Quote from: corco on March 02, 2015, 10:40:14 PM
If you believe in global warming and that the ice caps will melt and the sea level will rise, flooding the planet, we may all need to live on boats and become a seafaring civilization. Disney and Carnival are just looking out for the best interests of civilization by developing this technology in advance.

Or we can just move to Colorado, and skip the seasickness.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.