News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Ancient Romans visited Canada

Started by Stephane Dumas, December 29, 2015, 09:39:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheHighwayMan3561

I'm not saying the idea of Romans visiting Canada is impossible, but I think it's also too soon to rule out yet that these may have been Roman objects obtained and brought there by the Vikings, whom we already know visited and briefly lived in eastern Canada and were much more seagoing than the Romans were.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

dcbjms

I can believe it.  Those Portuguese and Basque fishermen must have known how to get there, somehow.  Not to mention the Irish legend of the island of Hy-Breasil (or was that Tir na Nog?  I knew that Hy-Breasil was supposed to match Newfoundland in terms of its unusual weather features).

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

triplemultiplex

"That's just like... your opinion, man."

yakra

Quote from: NE2 on December 30, 2015, 11:13:28 AM
No no no. Ancient aliens.
Your explanation for anything slightly peculiar is aliens, isn't it? You lose your keys, it's aliens. A picture falls off the wall, it's aliens. That time we used up a whole bog roll in a day, you thought that was aliens as well.
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

english si

Quote from: yakra on December 31, 2015, 01:25:32 AM
Quote from: NE2 on December 30, 2015, 11:13:28 AM
No no no. Ancient aliens.
Your explanation for anything slightly peculiar is aliens, isn't it? You lose your keys, it's aliens. A picture falls off the wall, it's aliens. That time we used up a whole bog roll in a day, you thought that was aliens as well.
He's merely copying the History Channel, Stephen Spielburg, etc from a few years ago.

Road Hog

I think it's very possible that a Roman ship might have been caught in a storm, the crew got disoriented, and the ship wound up in Nova Scotia by accident with the crew dead or alive. I highly doubt any widespread Roman effort to explore the Western Hemisphere took place; otherwise the historical record would show it.

english si

Quote from: Road Hog on December 31, 2015, 09:07:18 AMI highly doubt any widespread Roman effort to explore the Western Hemisphere took place
I was waiting for some numpty to say something similar!

I take it that according to you, the following weren't Roman:
Hadrians Wall, Verulamium, Silchester, the Roman Road a couple of hundred yards from my house...

Not to mention the roads and settlements in western France, all but the eastern tip of Spain, Portugal, Morocco, parts of Algeria - are they all illusions too?

And, of course, to a Roman, everywhere west of Rome (the centre of the world) was in the western hemisphere!

NE2

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

english si

Well when you've always lived in a (very large and highly populated) area whose existence is repeatedly denied on this forum (non-American Western Hemisphere) you feel you have to be an anal assclown to try and bash it into people's small minds that the place where you live actually exists.

If by "Western Hemisphere" you mean "The Americas" then why go with the incorrect one with more letters?

NE2

The anal Western Hemisphere has no real world relevance at all, due to the Prime Meridian's arbitrary location.

english si

Quote from: NE2 on December 31, 2015, 01:54:43 PMThe anal Western Hemisphere has no real world relevance at all, due to the Prime Meridian's arbitrary location.
Absolutely, so why do people keep on using the term when they really mean "The Americas"?

vdeane

Probably because "Eastern Hemisphere" is shorter than "the places that aren't North or South America" and to be consistent with the Northern and Southern Hemispheres.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Rothman

Quote from: english si on December 31, 2015, 11:04:21 AM
Well when you've always lived in a (very large and highly populated) area whose existence is repeatedly denied on this forum (non-American Western Hemisphere) you feel you have to be an anal assclown to try and bash it into people's small minds that the place where you live actually exists.

You should be grateful we are sensitive to your illusion that there is somewhere else to live than on the American Continent.  We're happy to let you believe in your Neverland.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: NE2 on December 31, 2015, 10:21:39 AM
English si is an anal assclown.

Such a sweetheart.

Quote from: english si on December 31, 2015, 02:07:24 PM
Quote from: NE2 on December 31, 2015, 01:54:43 PMThe anal Western Hemisphere has no real world relevance at all, due to the Prime Meridian's arbitrary location.
Absolutely, so why do people keep on using the term when they really mean "The Americas"?

The same reason summer is from the last week of May until the first week of September–life doesn't really follow orderly boundaries.

The Nature Boy

Quote from: Pete from Boston on December 31, 2015, 04:57:21 PM

Such a sweetheart.

The same reason summer is from the last week of May until the first week of September–life doesn't really follow orderly boundaries.

No one ever includes Southeastern cities when they say "East Coast." Richmond and Charleston are on the geographic east coast, after all. Why don't people just say "Northeast?"

When people use geographic terms, they tend to be less than well........accurate. You don't see Southerners attacking everyone for excluding them from the "East Coast."

Pete from Boston

Quote from: The Nature Boy on January 01, 2016, 11:07:55 AM
Quote from: Pete from Boston on December 31, 2015, 04:57:21 PM

Such a sweetheart.

No one ever includes Southeastern cities when they say "East Coast." Richmond and Charleston are on the geographic east coast, after all. Why don't people just say "Northeast?"

When people use geographic terms, they tend to be less than well........accurate. You don't see Southerners attacking everyone for excluding them from the "East Coast."

Much like Arizona, New Mexico, and Southern California are all south of Richmond and yet for historical reasons are never part of "The South."

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.