Are you working Thanksgiving? 2016 Edition

Started by ZLoth, November 06, 2016, 05:26:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tchafe1978

I work at a large national retailer, so yes, I am working "Black Thursday" as I have for the past 10 years or so. Not my favorite thing to do on a holiday that should be about family, but it goes with the territory. The only day we close down all year is Christmas, and all my co-workers wonder how long that will still be the case.

NWI_Irish96

My wife is a respiratory therapist.  She worked Thanksgiving last year, but got it off this year.  Most people in the medical profession can get Thanksgiving off at least once every 2-3 years if they want it.  My cousin is a police officer and the same with him.  My understanding is that people who work retail have to work Thanksgiving every year, so yeah, there's a difference. 

Not only do I not do any of my Christmas shopping on Thanksgiving, during the rest of the season I won't shop at stores that were open on Thanksgiving.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Takumi

Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

sparker

Not working Thanksgiving proper, but my store will be keeping late hours on Wednesday (usual: 6:30, open Wed 11/23 until 8 pm) and opening early on "Black" Friday (usual opening 12pm, opening 11am and staying open until at least 7 pm or even later if customers are still coming in!).  It's a vintage-audio sales & service store, so morning hours aren't part of the equation.   

ZLoth

Quote from: Dougtone on November 06, 2016, 06:06:16 AM
Of course, those two NHL games are being played in Canada, which will be a normal Thursday night there.

There were no Thanksgiving Thursdays games last year.... in the United States AND Canada.
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

bulldog1979

Don't forget hotels. I'll be working first shift this year unlike last year when I was on third.

epzik8

So it turns out I am working Thanksgiving morning for the first time ever. That will be fun.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

Rothman

Not working the day before Thanksgiving, Thanksgiving, or the day after Thanksgiving.  Thanks in advance to those who are working in gas stations, restaurants and hotels that will provide needed services as my wife and I travel.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

jeffandnicole

Well, in a way, I am working Thanksgiving now.  I offered to volunteer at Philadelphia's annual Thanksgiving Day parade.  I report at 6am...and depending on my exact assignments I should be done sometime between 10am and 1pm.  On the long-range forecast, the day is looking to be extremely close to normal weather-wise.

roadman

I am not working on Thanksgiving, but will be working both the day before and the day after.  This will give me additional time to spend with relatives over the Christmas holiday.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

PHLBOS

No.  Thanksgiving is a paid holiday where I work.  The day after (aka Black Friday) is not a paid holiday; but most, due to travel take it off as vacation/personal day (myself included).

Since I'm up in Massachusetts every Thanksgiving (done such for the last 26 years); I have never worked on the Friday after since moving down to PA.  From what I've been told, the office is literally a ghost town (in terms of personnel) that day.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

slorydn1

Nope, the way our schedule falls the other rotation works Thanksgiving almost every year, and we work the Friday, Saturday and Sunday after it. I will be on vacation the whole week so it wouldn't matter either way, I guess (19 years on and a little rank does have some privileges).

The other side of that though is that (after this year) will have worked 13 of he 19 Christmases.
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

ZLoth

Yup, on shift now. Good thing I'm working from home.
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on November 07, 2016, 04:20:12 PM
I asked for it off well in advance. Won't know if I got it for another couple weeks but I'll be disappointed if I didn't.

Did end up working because an asshat coworker walked off the job early this week and I had to fill his vacated hours today.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

ZLoth

My Thursday night/Friday morning was quite busy as I had to deal with a variety of issues from Asia.  :rolleyes:

Tonight should be quieter.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.