News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Applebee's, IHOP parent company closing some locations

Started by golden eagle, August 10, 2017, 09:00:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

formulanone

I won't mourn Applebee's much, but having a 24-hour breakfast establishment like IHOP around is nice to have. The former had a few good items here and there, but no "gotta have it" items. Most everything tastes greasy, but in that industrial-grade, cloying aftertaste sort of way.

There's better prices on most breakfast fare, but for the handful of times a year I need a 4am breakfast, IHOP > Dennys. The breakfasts are pretty good, but the rest is usually average.

ColossalBlocks

Quote from: formulanone on August 14, 2017, 10:16:16 AM24-hour breakfast establishment

Multiple places already adopted 24-hour breakfast menus, one of which being McDick's I mean McDonald's.
I am inactive for a while now my dudes. Good associating with y'all.

US Highways: 36, 49, 61, 412.

Interstates: 22, 24, 44, 55, 57, 59, 72, 74 (West).

formulanone

Quote from: ColossalBlocks on August 14, 2017, 10:28:38 AM
Quote from: formulanone on August 14, 2017, 10:16:16 AM24-hour breakfast establishment

Multiple places already adopted 24-hour breakfast menus, one of which being McDick's I mean McDonald's.

But they're not all open 24 hours.

ColossalBlocks

Quote from: formulanone on August 14, 2017, 10:29:51 AM

Ok, 23-hour breakfast.
I am inactive for a while now my dudes. Good associating with y'all.

US Highways: 36, 49, 61, 412.

Interstates: 22, 24, 44, 55, 57, 59, 72, 74 (West).

formulanone

Quote from: ColossalBlocks on August 14, 2017, 10:32:06 AM
Quote from: formulanone on August 14, 2017, 10:29:51 AM

Ok, 23-hour breakfast.

Store hours are posted next to No Shirt, No Shoes, No Service/ Service Animals Permitted signage.

hotdogPi

Denny's in Lawrence, MA is open 24 hours per day, and they have breakfast all day (except when they run out of any particular item, which is quite common). Nothing has been said about which of the 25 hours they will be closed on November 5, 2017 and November 4, 2018. They have closed for other reasons, including when something causes the building to be unsafe, or when the power goes out.

As I said before, Denny's is much cheaper than iHop IHOP.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

roadman

Except that Mickey's has a limited all day breakfast menu, and the all-day menu items vary from restaurant to restaurant (think the old "price and participation may vary" disclaimer).  Which means that, at most places, you can't get plain sausage biscuits (IMHO the only item on the McD's breakfast menu worth purchasing) outside of normal breakfast hours - which also vary from restaurant to restaurant.

But if I want pancakes, regardless of the time of day or how desperate I am for them, the last place I'd think of going is McDonalds.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Brandon

McDonald's is the last place I'd go.  Ever.  Ick.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

TheHighwayMan3561

We have a Perkins and a Denny's open 24 hours in my area. Many Perkins have discontinued 24-hour service recently and I hope the one in my town doesn't ultimately do that too.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: 1 on August 14, 2017, 01:53:17 PM
Denny's in Lawrence, MA is open 24 hours per day, and they have breakfast all day (except when they run out of any particular item, which is quite common). Nothing has been said about which of the 25 hours they will be closed on November 5, 2017 and November 4, 2018.

Are you kidding?!??  They really close for 1 hour on that day?  Then we ought to file a class action suit for false advertising for only offering breakfast for 23 hours on the second Sunday in March. 

Denny's in my town is open 24/7.  IHOP closes at 10 Sun-Thu and midnight Friday + Saturday.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

hotdogPi

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on August 14, 2017, 04:20:14 PM
Quote from: 1 on August 14, 2017, 01:53:17 PM
Denny's in Lawrence, MA is open 24 hours per day, and they have breakfast all day (except when they run out of any particular item, which is quite common). Nothing has been said about which of the 25 hours they will be closed on November 5, 2017 and November 4, 2018.

Are you kidding?!??  They really close for 1 hour on that day?  Then we ought to file a class action suit for false advertising for only offering breakfast for 23 hours on the second Sunday in March. 

Denny's in my town is open 24/7.  IHOP closes at 10 Sun-Thu and midnight Friday + Saturday.

They don't actually close for one hour on 25-hour days. It was another joke.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

formulanone

Guilty pleasure: a mid-day Sausage, egg, and cheese McGriddle.

It's really the only thing keeping me interested in McDonald's a handful of times of year (usually road trips with my kids).

jeffandnicole

Living in Jersey, we have diners.  Diners beat IHOPs and Dennys any day, to the point we really don't have that many of either restaurant in this state (IHOP is starting to add a few locations though). 

But, over the recent several years, some diners that have been 24/7 diners forever have changed their hours and now close overnight.  Some may open 24/7 on the weekends but close midnight - 5 or 6am on the weekdays.   I guess the costs (and maybe safety) just don't warrant staying open all night every night.

hbelkins

Quote from: roadman on August 14, 2017, 02:35:00 PM

Except that Mickey's has a limited all day breakfast menu, and the all-day menu items vary from restaurant to restaurant (think the old "price and participation may vary" disclaimer).  Which means that, at most places, you can't get plain sausage biscuits (IMHO the only item on the McD's breakfast menu worth purchasing) outside of normal breakfast hours - which also vary from restaurant to restaurant.

When McDonald's rolled out their 24-hour breakfast menu, it included either sausage biscuits or Sausage McMuffins, depending on location. I wasn't really happy about that, because in the south biscuits are king while in more northern climes, the McMuffins are more popular. I prefer the muffins to biscuits because the biscuits are flaky and crumbly and tend to be a little messy when you're eating and driving. Of course, I live in biscuit country. But they've since expanded the menu and now most McD's I've seen have Sausage McMuffins on the 24-hour menu.

Since the Sausage McMuffins are generally part of the value menu, two or three of them for $1 or $1.19 each can make for a decent breakfast.

It should be noted that Sausage McMuffins are supposed to have cheese on them, but I've gotten them before when the cheese wasn't included.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Scott5114

The really nice thing about IHOP is that they will also serve non-breakfast items during breakfast hours. This is not something a lot of restaurants will do. However, if you work third shift and get off at 9 AM, usually the last thing you want to eat when you get off is breakfast food. So you learn really quickly which establishments will give you a real dinner and which have the mandatory breakfast.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: Scott5114 on August 15, 2017, 07:26:28 PM
The really nice thing about IHOP is that they will also serve non-breakfast items during breakfast hours. This is not something a lot of restaurants will do. However, if you work third shift and get off at 9 AM, usually the last thing you want to eat when you get off is breakfast food. So you learn really quickly which establishments will give you a real dinner and which have the mandatory breakfast.

Unfortunately this is one of the areas where chains have mom and pop beat as I don't like most breakfast foods and would rather have lunch/dinner foods available at any time.

Burger King and Sonic are two fast food places that serve lunch items during breakfast hours (I believe Sonic is a full menu all day).
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Otto Yamamoto

Not always I've worked 11-7 for years, and when I get off, I get breakfast.

STV100-2

roadman

Quote from: hbelkins on August 15, 2017, 03:39:26 PM
Quote from: roadman on August 14, 2017, 02:35:00 PM

When McDonald's rolled out their 24-hour breakfast menu, it included either sausage biscuits or Sausage McMuffins, depending on location. I wasn't really happy about that, because in the south biscuits are king while in more northern climes, the McMuffins are more popular. I prefer the muffins to biscuits because the biscuits are flaky and crumbly and tend to be a little messy when you're eating and driving. Of course, I live in biscuit country. But they've since expanded the menu and now most McD's I've seen have Sausage McMuffins on the 24-hour menu.

Since the Sausage McMuffins are generally part of the value menu, two or three of them for $1 or $1.19 each can make for a decent breakfast.

It should be noted that Sausage McMuffins are supposed to have cheese on them, but I've gotten them before when the cheese wasn't included.
Interesting.  In all my road trips where I've eaten Sausage Biscuits while driving, I've only had one instance of the biscuit being so crumbly that it fell apart (the 1988 Prelude 'exploding biscuit' incident I've previously mentioned in other posts).  Plus, unlike with the McMuffins, I don't have to specify 'no cheese' and run the risk of them getting the special order wrong.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

PHLBOS

IHOPs in my area, Greater Philly, have been gone for a while (the one nearest to me along Baltimore Pike changed to an independent restaurant years ago).  Applebee's have only been around here for about 10-15 years.  The one nearest to me along MacDade Blvd. opened about a decade ago.

I've eaten at several Applebee's over the years and had no real issue w/them; although I haven't been in one for at least two years... simply due to schedule & other people's/companions' preferences.  So I don't know/recall whether the menu changed since I last ate at one.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

bugo

Three McMuffins? I could eat maybe one of them if I were really hungry. 3 would last me all day.

roadman

Quote from: bugo on August 17, 2017, 04:55:14 AM

Three McMuffins? I could eat maybe one of them if I were really hungry. 3 would last me all day.
My typical road breakfast is two Sausage Biscuits - that normally satisfies my hunger until late afternoon.

Scott5114

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on August 15, 2017, 09:28:33 PM

Unfortunately this is one of the areas where chains have mom and pop beat as I don't like most breakfast foods and would rather have lunch/dinner foods available at any time.

Burger King and Sonic are two fast food places that serve lunch items during breakfast hours (I believe Sonic is a full menu all day).

The BKs around here did not during the time I worked 3rd (may have changed since then). Sonic, Whataburger, and Jack in the Box were the holy trinity at the time.

Quote from: Otto Yamamoto on August 16, 2017, 02:03:05 AM
Not always I've worked 11-7 for years, and when I get off, I get breakfast.

Depends on your mood and diet, I guess. On occasion, I would want pancakes or waffles or something after work, but most of the time when I got off I wanted something heavier, with more protein.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

thenetwork

Joe's Crab Shack just closed around 40 of their restaurants, including all of their remaining locations in IN and MI.

http://www.indystar.com/story/news/2017/08/16/joes-crab-shack-closes-all-indiana-locations/571850001/

SectorZ

Quote from: 1 on August 11, 2017, 09:11:58 AM
I sometimes go to iHop, but almost never to Applebee's. Applebee's puts sugary goo in all their vegetables, which ruins both the taste and the good nutrition of the vegetables.

I will say that Denny's is far cheaper than iHop.

Interestingly, I know a place where both are visible from the same location. I-495 at Exit 38, which is MA 38.

It's interesting that iHop owns Applebee's, which is the inverse of Apple making the iPod, iPhone, iPad, iParty, iCarly, iMax, etc.

I live 2 miles down the street from that pair on 38. I've NEVER been in that IHOP (and never intend on it - the Motel 6 next to it is a complete disaster) and the Applebee's maybe not for at least five years or so. I'd only be upset if they left just for the hit on the tax base, but otherwise, blah. I remember when there was a bowling alley and drive-in theater where those two now are, and I have no doubt that 25 years from now it'll again look completely different.

PHLBOS

Ironically, while visiting in the North Shore (MA) this past weekend; I noticed that there's a fairly new (within the last few years) IHOP in Salem just off MA 107 at the Trader's Way/Marborough Rd. intersection.  I never noticed it until my brother brought it to my attention.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.