News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Willis Tower - What the Hell!!??

Started by SSOWorld, July 16, 2009, 10:36:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

florida

Quote from: mightyace on July 21, 2009, 01:27:35 AM
Quote from: florida on July 21, 2009, 01:16:12 AM
Quote from: mightyace on July 21, 2009, 12:57:39 AM
Quote from: florida on July 20, 2009, 02:48:34 PM
Quote from: Stephane Dumas on July 17, 2009, 08:57:50 PM

or others things like:
-New Jersey cease to exist and is scinded in parts between NYS and PA

Yay! PA will finally get some beachfront property.

You mean ocean beachfront property.  PA has had Lake Erie coast for over 200 years.  :sombrero:

Lake Erie doesn't count. That's lakefront property, it's freshwater, no?  ;-)

Well, it isn't salt water.  But, calling it fresh might be a bit of the stretch!  :-D

I guess the reference to beachfront property comes from my Ohio days.  Northeastern Ohioans like to think of themselves as on "The North Coast."  And, swimming areas along Lake Erie are called beaches.  :poke:

The Wright Brothers, Smucker's, and the Kent State riots weren't enough?  :sombrero:
So many roads...so little time.

SSOWorld

well there is a 'difference'. at least the National Weather service does :P :pan:
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

City

I never knew that my posts could veer off the main topic.  :crazy:

jgb191

If anyone asks me what the world's tallest building is, I will still to this day firmly answer Sears (Willis) Tower in Chicago (at least until the Burj Dubai's final height gets to be determined) due to the mere fact that the pinnacle of the Sears Tower extends higher than that of every other completed buildings in the world -- even higher than Petronas Towers and Taipei 101.

1,730 ft -- Sears/Willis Tower
1,667 ft -- Taipei 101
1,614 ft -- Shanghai Financial Center

I also consider the Empire State Building the fourth tallest building in the world to this day (I like to include antennas).

Again, this is only my opinion, the books will say otherwise.
We're so far south that we're not even considered "The South"

broadhurst04

I consider NJ to simply be a giant suburb - the northern half for NYC, the southern half for Philadelphia.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

formulanone

Quote from: NE2 on November 08, 2011, 12:44:40 AM
What a bump.

More like a collision?

On-topic: When I finally saw it in person back February, nobody referred to it as the Willis Tower until you went inside of it. Even then, it's just one of those things...then again, our local NFL stadium has undergone so many name changes in the past 15 years, that I just refer to it as Joe Robbie Stadium (after all, he started the team, and it was the original name); that's what the locals call it, but media calls it whatever name it has this year.

SteveG1988

Funny thing, sears has not occupied that building for many years prior to Willis taking over the naming rights. In 1995 sears completely moved out...They sold it in 1994.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

Takumi

Funny thing about the mega-bump is it wasn't even on the actual topic!
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

jgb191

It's been years since I last posted on this thread, but I think it's now fair to say the Sears Tower (or Willis Tower) has since lost all part of the record.  For the last decade the debate raged on about the World's tallest building, but my answer firmly remained with the Sears/Willis Tower because it's antenna extended higher than any other building existing until last year when the Burj in Dubai obliterated all records in every category (roof, pinnacle, architecture).  

I believe the Burj Kalifka beats the Sears Tower (which I still choose to call it) by about 999 feet.

While the Burj's records remains comfortably unthreatened in the forseeable future, the Sears Tower is going to slip further down the rankings.  There are several buildings currently under construction that will top the Sears Tower in pinnacle height, including a the new World Trade Center tower in New York City.
We're so far south that we're not even considered "The South"

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.