News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

ANOTHER Fall, 2012 Atlantic Coast storm coming?

Started by cpzilliacus, November 12, 2012, 07:02:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cpzilliacus

Washington Post: Coastal storm may develop Thanksgiving week

QuoteFor the third time in less than a month, a coastal storm may affect the Mid-Atlantic. This time a storm may brew in the days leading up to Thanksgiving.

QuoteComputer models have been fairly consistent over the last two days in developing low pressure off the coast of the Carolinas Sunday or Monday. As always, exactly where the storm forms, where it tracks, and how strong it gets will determine its exact impacts. There's also a chance a storm doesn't form or tracks harmlessly out to sea.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

WillWeaverRVA

I think someone is off in GFS model fantasyland again. In any case most weather models tend not to be reliable at that range. The only one that really is at all, the ECMWF model, has a rather weak low pretty far off the coast.

Between things like this and the Weather Channel naming winter storms (utterly ridiculous names, to boot), there's just too much fearmongering going on.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Alps

"There might be a storm, or not, and it may go out to sea, or not, and it may be strong, or not." Sounds like all weather predictions nowadays

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Steve on November 12, 2012, 09:26:16 PM
"There might be a storm, or not, and it may go out to sea, or not, and it may be strong, or not." Sounds like all weather predictions nowadays

Agreed.  Though the warnings in advance of Sandy turned out to be pretty accurate, unfortunately.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

empirestate

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on November 12, 2012, 09:21:27 PM
Between things like this and the Weather Channel naming winter storms (utterly ridiculous names, to boot), there's just too much fearmongering going on.

Agreed about the silly names, but would you indeed classify the recent round of weather forecasting as fearmongering? Both Sandy and the following week's storm behaved almost exactly as they were predicted to; if anything, the effects of both were slightly more intense than warned. Irene last year also behaved with uncanny predictability; however, it suffered a bit of a fizzle at landfall in terms of intensity. Hurricane Katrina had precisely the suite of devastating effects that such a system was predicted to have, and it itself was warned to be such a system.

I suppose it depends which channel you watch, and I've definitely seen some quite overzealous forecasting in the past, but the weather reports I've seen over the past month or so have seemed almost surprisingly candid and accurate.

Now, if by "fearmongering" you refer to the current and recent outpouring of political dismay, then I'm right there with you!

vdeane

Depends on area.  Up here in Potsdam, the universities were acting like the sky was falling, yet aside from some strange cloud movements on the radar, it was a normal day.  Someone should have told them that hurricanes tend to disperse when they hit land, and also that forecasts had the storm spending a lot of time on land before reaching here.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: empirestate on November 13, 2012, 01:13:13 AM
Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on November 12, 2012, 09:21:27 PM

Agreed about the silly names, but would you indeed classify the recent round of weather forecasting as fearmongering? Both Sandy and the following week's storm behaved almost exactly as they were predicted to; if anything, the effects of both were slightly more intense than warned. Irene last year also behaved with uncanny predictability; however, it suffered a bit of a fizzle at landfall in terms of intensity. Hurricane Katrina had precisely the suite of devastating effects that such a system was predicted to have, and it itself was warned to be such a system.

I suppose it depends which channel you watch, and I've definitely seen some quite overzealous forecasting in the past, but the weather reports I've seen over the past month or so have seemed almost surprisingly candid and accurate.

Now, if by "fearmongering" you refer to the current and recent outpouring of political dismay, then I'm right there with you!

Well, the ECMWF model and a few others nailed Sandy, but the GFS model (used frequently by many local news media since it's not...uh, European) kept sending Sandy out to sea. The GFS model had a very severe winter storm moving up the coast and affecting many of the same areas that Sandy did, but the storm never materialized; just as the ECMWF model had predicted, it is currently moving far out to sea, and it hasn't really affected land much other than some cloudiness and some slightly increased wave heights.

When I say "fearmongering" I refer to the sudden onslaught of headlines reading something like "Another big storm coming to Sandy-ravaged areas?"
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

vdeane

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.