News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Star Trek: How many follow any of the franchises?

Started by roadman65, September 30, 2016, 10:58:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OCGuy81

Quote from: triplemultiplex on June 04, 2021, 05:09:07 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on May 26, 2021, 08:33:45 PM
One thing I didn't like that deviated from the original was how the appearance of the Klingons changed. I hated the ridged foreheads.

That was alright.  For crying out loud, the OG Klingons were just dudes with beards. That's doing aliens on a budget.
But what was really groan-worthy was devoting a two part Enterprise episode to explain why it changed. (or maybe it was just one episode; whatever.  The point is ret-con is bad.)

Still not as bad as what JJ Abrams did to the franchise.... (awaits angry comments from fans of the "new" Trek)

vdeane

One thing I didn't like that deviated from the original was how the appearance of the Klingons changed. I hated the ridged foreheads.

That was alright.  For crying out loud, the OG Klingons were just dudes with beards. That's doing aliens on a budget.
But what was really groan-worthy was devoting a two part Enterprise episode to explain why it changed. (or maybe it was just one episode; whatever.  The point is ret-con is bad.)
Don't blame Enterprise for trying to explain why it changed; blame Deep Space Nine for making the idea that there even was an in-universe change canonical; prior to Trials and Tribble-ations and Worf's "we don't discuss it with outsiders" line, it was possible to assume that Klingons always looked the way they do in the other shows (besides Discovery).  The explanation from Enterprise makes sense and I liked those episodes; it certainly makes more sense than the "Klingons shave their heads when at war" idea Discovery came up with to explain their bald Klingons in season 1, which made even less sense than the contradiction it was trying to explain (their explanation for why the holo-phone was retired until the middle of Deep Space Nine was also a stretch).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

kkt

Quote from: OCGuy81 on June 04, 2021, 06:59:04 PM

Still not as bad as what JJ Abrams did to the franchise.... (awaits angry comments from fans of the "new" Trek)

No angry comments from me.  Abrams Trek isn't really Star Trek.  It's not very good fan fiction with an unusually big budget.

In_Correct

QuoteThe Orville

It is good to watch, and also has familiar people on it such as Robert Picardo and John Debney.

QuoteShorter Seasons

Too Short A Season by George Romanis. Filler Episodes do not need to be bad.

Quote from: triplemultiplex on May 21, 2021, 12:00:35 AM
Star Trek is generally supposed to be a hopeful vision for humanity where we figured out how to balance our innate empathy with cold hard empirical science.  But they are annoyingly persistent at legitimizing whatever trendy pseudo-science was permeating Hollywood culture at the time each series was on.

It started right in the beginning with telepathy and Vulcans mind-melding with other species.  Completely rooted in 1960's esoteric ideas about consciousness and that kind of hippie bullshit.  Jump ahead to Next Generation and you can tell how much Hollywood had embraced therapists with the inclusion of not only a ship's counselor, but making that a bridge officer.  Worf does his Klingon yoga; Tuvoc does his Vulcan meditation; all right around the same time those became trendy in Hollywood.  The most egregious example though is Enterprise's Dr. Flox.  Jumping on the alternative medicine bandwagon, they have their future doctor using all sorts of new-agey 'natural' sounding modalities in a blatant endorsement of every Hollywood douchebag's kook witch doctor.

Those elements do not age well, I must say.  In an franchise with numerous technological cheats like faster than light travel and matter transporters, adding even more implausible elements like telepathy, aliens with god-like powers, and space leeches that even out your space humors makes it harder to immerse oneself in the fiction.

I did not look at it that way. I all ways thought that Vulcans / Vulcanians / Romulans were supposed to be based on some type of Eastern Culture. Spock initially had make up on his face to make it look like he has Cat's Eyes, that his eye lids are supposed to be pointed out and up. The Animated Series seems to reflect that also. In The Enterprise Incident by Fred Steiner, That Romulan Lady's space ship seems to be designed based on some royal palace. Gene Roddenberry was in The Military and perhaps he wanted it designed that way based on what he rememebered.

Hippie Culture would be when they had changed the lighting to look like one big Easter Egg Hunt. And then of course there is that Hippie Episode in Season 3.

I did not know about the Therapists; I simply believed that Star Trek's second pilot had a Psychiatrist and Star Trek Movies and The Next Generation revisited such things and even expanded upon them. Deanna and Riker is a partial revisit of Ilia and Decker. The rest of her character development is based on Marina personally knowing The Roddenberrys ... and of course the bickering between Deanna and Her Mother is an exaggerated version of Amanda and Dotty. Deanna as Ship's Housewife Counselor got to sit there in a dress while eating chocolate and nagging. It is also an exaggerated version of Amanda's portrayal as a Housewife.

Things that do not age well are production goofs such as shorter amounts of episodes, watered down music, and even recycled music, Exploding Consoles With Rocks Flying Out Of Them, numerous Holographic Simulation Nonsense, and of course Space Cowboy characters based off of Eddie Haskell and Christopher Stevens.

Also things that do not age well is small amounts of episodes, and killing of just about any character in every universe.

Mirror Universe episodes do not age well either. It is fine for only one episode.

Based on how Mirror Marlena and Mirror Spock were convinced to Shape Up. Kirk was able to successfully transform a corrupt Empire

... Unfortunately ... they made more episodes where all the alien species were conquered and destroyed and annihilated. There is no way that they would be so weak in any universe.

It might be a nice explanation of what happened to The Constitution Class Defiant in The Tholian Web by Fred Steiner. Or they could have just left everybody to believe that The Defiant was captured by Tholians and consumed ... basically converted to energy for them.

Quote from: Rothman on May 21, 2021, 06:59:34 AM

Star Trek is generally supposed to be a hopeful vision for humanity where we figured out how to balance our innate empathy with cold hard empirical science.  But they are annoyingly persistent at legitimizing whatever trendy pseudo-science was permeating Hollywood culture at the time each series was on.

It started right in the beginning with telepathy and Vulcans mind-melding with other species.  Completely rooted in 1960's esoteric ideas about consciousness and that kind of hippie bullshit.  Jump ahead to Next Generation and you can tell how much Hollywood had embraced therapists with the inclusion of not only a ship's counselor, but making that a bridge officer.  Worf does his Klingon yoga; Tuvoc does his Vulcan meditation; all right around the same time those became trendy in Hollywood.  The most egregious example though is Enterprise's Dr. Flox.  Jumping on the alternative medicine bandwagon, they have their future doctor using all sorts of new-agey 'natural' sounding modalities in a blatant endorsement of every Hollywood douchebag's kook witch doctor.

Those elements do not age well, I must say.  In an franchise with numerous technological cheats like faster than light travel and matter transporters, adding even more implausible elements like telepathy, aliens with god-like powers, and space leeches that even out your space humors makes it harder to immerse oneself in the fiction.

This was a good rant to start my day off with.  Someone angry at the legitimizing of therapists through fiction is a new one.

Perhaps this is why Kirstie Alley did not ever return to Star Trek.

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on May 21, 2021, 04:59:01 PM

The show would be pretty boring if faster than light travel wasn't allowed and aliens were restricted to purely physics-as-we-know-it and human qualities/limitations.

Science Ninja Team: Gatchaman (not Battle Of The Planets) did not use Faster Than Light Travel, yet is not boring. On Interpol / International Science Organization's side, they had a few inexplicable technologies such as Bird Style transformations being done with clothes that change their shape and durability based on Sound Waves, and The Godphoenix being able to change from solid to vapor during Firebird Mode. The space aliens visit Earth, and none of them were Humanoid, especially the enemy's Leader, which is a giant glowing Pencil. While Science Ninja Team: Gatchaman is not entirely restricted, it at times is very different from Star Trek.

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on May 22, 2021, 09:11:30 AM
I always found the episodes with Keiko O'Brian as laborious to watch.  She was just so annoying and off-putting.  Too bad O'Brian could not find a more suiting woman.  She always acted like she was better than everyone else.

What I really hate is when Star Trek forgets its characters. If they did not, then there would be dozens of large amount of long episode Programmes with Musicians Of The Week being produced simultaneously.

One example is that Logan character in The Arsenal Of Freedom by Dennis McCarthy has no explanation of why he is there. It seems that both Encounter At Farpoint and The Naked Now were made very early, perhaps as early as 1985. It was a toss up of which episode to extend to be movie length. It also explains why The Main Bridge (a very luxurious bridge that was unfortunately vandalized after the end of Season One) is lacking The Cushions on the outside edges near The Captain's Chair. Enough time must have passed between those episodes and the remaining season. After The Naked Now, it seems that the cast member to be the new Chief Engineer was Argyle which was frequently written out of the episodes.

They snuck in a Log in a Remastered episode that implies that MacDougal, Argyle, and Lynch worked on Night Shifts while Geordi replaced Logan entirely.

A very good story arc would be if Logan and his family was out to get Geordi, not unlike Duras versus Worf.

Keiko was a candidate to replace Garrovick Wesley Crusher. Despite not taking over his station, she still had plenty of character development, being a Tutor and also Botanist. Unfortunately, she was limited to being a Wife and Mother for Miles Edward O'Brien, who unlike Argyle, got to appear in numerous episodes. His character developed perhaps for the first time in Season Four. ... unless you count Season Three's Booby Trap by Ron Jones "Ships In Bottles" line. In Season Four, O'Brien is revealed to be a Warrior, and fought against Cardassians.

Miles and Keiko have very different backgrounds. She is Eastern and He is Western. Their marriage is understandably going to not be so pleasant. At times it works such as when they take turns cooking, and they got to continue to know about each other. There were many times that they did not get along. His Military Career certainly does not help. She wants to have a Career of her own, and there are times that he misses her such as Honor Among Thieves by Gregory Smith. Ironically she did not appear in that episode, since Miles prefers to spend time with Julian instead. The best episode that has Keiko in it is The Assignment by Gregory Smith. It is very unfortunate that Star Trek did not consider a very talented Actress for more episodes.

It would also be nice for other guest stars to appear much more often until being promoted to Regular, just as Miles did. Suzie Plakson and Carolyn Seymour are two other examples of people that should have appeared more.

QuoteConstable

Odo Ital did not approve of that designation. He also did not approve of other things that his superiors demanded, such as immense record keeping. One episode has him making a complaint in his log entry about how they want to store records so badly, they are running out of room, and need to store them microscopically. Odo did not wish to have a Worf Style uniform. Worf Rozhenko Son Of Mogh took pride in his background, despite His People being immensely corrupt. Odo's name being Bajoran for Unknown Sample is one example of Odo being so plain he wants to blend in to The Background (and often does) ... He for the longest time loathed His People. Also The Changelings / The Founders Of The Dominion, despite seeming to have an Empress, are completely equal. Their subordinates are other creatures that they conjured up. Things such as Names, Ranks, Designations, and Titles, are completely foreign to Changelings.

Quote from: kkt on May 25, 2021, 11:54:10 AM
Quote from: Avalanchez71 on May 25, 2021, 08:32:22 AM
I did like that they did show O'Brian as they had a non commissioned officer character.  They should have had a little more grunt written into his character though.  I liked Constable Odo's character.  I wished that they would have designed a proper uniform for him to denote that he was a constable.  He looked just like any other Bejouran.

He was wearing a Bajoran militia uniform, a lot like Kira's only a different color.  When we saw Bajoran civilians their clothes looked looser and often with a pattern or more colors.

If they went all the way to be sure to have Comnbadges on the other side of their chests, they could have given Odo Ital a Red uniform and Kira Nerys a Gold / Emerald / Bronze uniform.

Quote from: OCGuy81 on May 25, 2021, 12:24:20 PM
Quote from: kkt on May 25, 2021, 11:54:10 AM
Quote from: Avalanchez71 on May 25, 2021, 08:32:22 AM
I did like that they did show O'Brian as they had a non commissioned officer character.  They should have had a little more grunt written into his character though.  I liked Constable Odo's character.  I wished that they would have designed a proper uniform for him to denote that he was a constable.  He looked just like any other Bejouran.

He was wearing a Bajoran militia uniform, a lot like Kira's only a different color.  When we saw Bajoran civilians their clothes looked looser and often with a pattern or more colors.

Thing is, that was all part of Odo's shape shifting as well.  He could easily have shifted into any type of clothes/uniform he wanted.

He could have also easily Shape Shifted into a facsimile of Weyoun. Weyoun would usually object to some body impersonating him ... but in this case, Odo could do that all he wanted to, and Weyoun would be in absolutely no position to question him.

QuoteWhat Should The Klingons Look Like?

I am usually very impressed with the high quality results of a 1964 programme, especially The Cage by Alexander Courage. The cinematography surpasses most of the regular episodes. And I know that having an entire squadron of Klingons is going to cause technical difficulties, but it could have been done to resemble The Klingons in The Motion Picture. Actually, it could have been done in even Elementary Schools. If Star Trek hired School Workers as part of their production staff, they could have asked teachers to assign students crafts projects that could double as costumes. They did similar sneaky things to make costumes. Some thing about sneaking them through the back door in the middle of the night?

Examples of astonishingly perfect results includes: The Talosians. No way that it could not have been done with The Klingons also.

Another example is: The Empath by George Duning. The Space Aliens in this episode said that they had difficulty choosing refugees but considered Gem's people as a possible choice. When Kirk says that they refuse to abandon Leonard H. Bones McCoy Son Of David, there is a close up shot of their faces.

Star Trek often tried to make space aliens look as unusual as possible. Despite being one or two most of the time, it could have still been done with The Klingons.

The Story Arc about Klingons impersonating other Species in Star Trek: Enterprise is a sufficient explanation of the Technical Difficulties. Also in Star Trek: Phase II New Voyages and / or Star Trek: Continues.

Quote from: kkt on June 04, 2021, 11:06:16 PM
Quote from: OCGuy81 on June 04, 2021, 06:59:04 PM

No angry comments from me.  Abrams Trek isn't really Star Trek.  It's not very good fan fiction with an unusually big budget.

Their budget is so large, yet they can not hire Musicians Of The Week to score dedicated and various sound tracks and also have 26 hour long episodes per season per programme.

And Finally,

After watching Scarecrow And Mrs. King, it seems that a good amount of it influenced Star Trek: The Next Generation.
Drive Safely. :sombrero: Ride Safely. And Build More Roads, Rails, And Bridges. :coffee: ... Boulevards Wear Faster Than Interstates.

Rothman

Scarecrow and Mrs. King...so who was the stowaway in TNG?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

In_Correct

If Gene Roddenberry recruited Edward R. Brown and dozens and dozens of Guest Stars and Crew from Scarecrow and Mrs. King, he also paid attention to certain other areas such as when Amanda and Dotty bickered. ... and then made an exaggerated version of that with Deanna and Her Mother.

Also can not help but take notice to how Beverly initially took after a usual Kate Jackson character before resembling more as Marcia Cross.
Drive Safely. :sombrero: Ride Safely. And Build More Roads, Rails, And Bridges. :coffee: ... Boulevards Wear Faster Than Interstates.

Stephane Dumas

I saw mostly the reruns of TOS as well as the animated series. I didn't followed TNG and DS9. ^^;

Btw, one guy on Youtube did a mash-up of Star Trek with the Space 1999 theme. Fred Freidberger worked on director on both series in their last seasons and some nicknamed Fred Freidberger the "showkiller".

Edit: Fixed the Youtube link.  :ded:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_Ch1SHKZRc

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Scott5114

The moment where Picard finally snapped "Shut up, Wesley" made me laugh out loud because of just how unexpected it was, since Picard wasn't prone to losing his cool like that, and how deserved it was after the previous couple of seasons of Wesley being Wesley. You could just feel how long that had been simmering under the surface until Picard finally reached his breaking point.

And then like three lines later you get to relive the whole experience, but with his mom saying it this time!

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: Scott5114 on June 06, 2021, 11:57:05 AM
The moment where Picard finally snapped "Shut up, Wesley" made me laugh out loud because of just how unexpected it was, since Picard wasn't prone to losing his cool like that, and how deserved it was after the previous couple of seasons of Wesley being Wesley. You could just feel how long that had been simmering under the surface until Picard finally reached his breaking point.

And then like three lines later you get to relive the whole experience, but with his mom saying it this time!

In the early scenes of Nemesis, Picard (lightheartedly) tells Data to shut up and then comments how he'd waited 15 years for that.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Life in Paradise

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on June 06, 2021, 11:25:54 AM
I saw mostly the reruns of TOS as well as the animated series. I didn't followed TNG and DS9. ^^;

Btw, one guy on Youtube did a mash-up of Star Trek with the Space 1999 theme. Fred Freidberger worked on director on both series in their last seasons and some nicknamed Fred Freidberger the "showkiller".

Too bad that Freiberger's reputation didn't get rehabilitated while he was alive since information since has shown that he was following Roddenberry's directive during TOS's third season, and he was the reason that 1999 even had a second season, and a third was planned with a spinoff (although I find Space: 1999 very, very lacking).  Note:  Information via the "These Are The Voyages" series of books.

triplemultiplex

Quote from: Scott5114 on June 06, 2021, 11:57:05 AM

Possibly the best moment in the entire franchise.  Especially for viewers who had grown tired of his know-it-all, wunderkindism. 

New subject:
How do people feel about the Q?
Some of those episodes were decent, but other times it came off dopey.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Avalanchez71

So this Discovery series on the plus streaming network is it any good?  I don't even know the premise.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: triplemultiplex on June 07, 2021, 02:58:57 PM
New subject:

I would say that the TNG episodes where Q was more of a backdrop were better than the ones more focused on the character himself, except for Season 3's Deja Q which was a hoot of an episode. I think they could have done without bringing him to the other two series, where his early appearance on DS9 was more of a character device to accentuate the differences between the characters of Sisko and Picard, and his Voyager arc with the Q Civil War and his son was just kind of stupid, plus even the writing staff admitted they were unsure how to justify putting him in the show when he could theoretically send Voyager home with the snap of a finger.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

OCGuy81

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on June 07, 2021, 03:14:00 PM
Quote from: triplemultiplex on June 07, 2021, 02:58:57 PM
New subject:

I would say that the TNG episodes where Q was more of a backdrop were better than the ones more focused on the character himself, except for Season 3's Deja Q which was a hoot of an episode. I think they could have done without bringing him to the other two series, where his early appearance on DS9 was more of a character device to accentuate the differences between the characters of Sisko and Picard, and his Voyager arc with the Q Civil War and his son was just kind of stupid, plus even the writing staff admitted they were unsure how to justify putting him in the show when he could theoretically send Voyager home with the snap of a finger.

I enjoyed the "frenemy" relationship between him and Picard.  I think my favorite interaction between them was the episode "Tapestry" where he gives Picard the chance to see what his life would be like if he took less risks in his youth.  It was one of the best episodes of season 6, and had the perfect balance of humor and seriousness between the two of them.

I didn't really care for his appearances on DS9 or Voyager.

US71

I never realized before today that Clarence Williams III  was on DS9
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Scott5114

Quote from: OCGuy81 on June 07, 2021, 03:24:41 PM
I didn't really care for [Q's] appearances on DS9 or Voyager.

The lone DS9 one was kind of funny because it implied all you have to do to keep an omnipotent being from wanting to come back to your space station/starship ever again is to just fucking deck him.

In_Correct

QuoteWesley

Datalore by Ron Jones is a very good example of Garrovick Wesley solving a problem and causing two others at the same time. He rescues Data, but they are unable to stop Lore the moment that Lore uses Wesley as a Hostage.

Evolution by Ron Jones is a very annoying Wesley Crusher episode that was intended to have him outgrow his phase of prowling about the ship, but it would have made more sense if they did not delete all the scenes. He was asked by his friends to spend time with him but declined which is why Beverly was worried about him. Delete all those scenes and Beverly ends up sounding as a Helicopter Parent. Other deleted scenes include Doctor Paul Stubbs sounding even more menacing. There was more dialogue between he and Ilia Deanna as well as between he and Wesley. Wesley decided he did not want to end up as some creep so he starts spending time with others again. Unfortunately all these scenes ended up deleted and subsequent episodes has him back to playing in Medical Bay and Main Engineering again instead of it being part of a phase he went through. After all the episode's title is supposed to be about Wesley just as much as The Nanites.

The episodes where Wesley and Jean - Luc together are really the only time he should be in any episodes. The Bonding by Dennis McCarthy is an example of when he needs to confront Jean - Luc. They reconcile in Final Mission by Ron Jones.

QuoteQ

Trelane Q hints that Guinan is an alias derived from Texas Guinan, and that nobody knows her actual name. It would be nice to have more episodes with them instead of two scenes from two episodes. Guinan knowing that Q became mortal immediately when she walked in the room and then she stabbed him.

Q also likes to recruit people. He tried to recruit Will Decker Riker and then tried again successfully with Vash.

What I did not like is when they changed the sound effects of when Q disappears and reappears to a much shorter version.

QuoteDiscovery

No. Star Trek: Discovery and Star Trek: Picard and other more recent Star Trek has recycled music.

kkt

Quote from: Scott5114 on June 07, 2021, 07:05:17 PM
Quote from: OCGuy81 on June 07, 2021, 03:24:41 PM
I didn't really care for [Q's] appearances on DS9 or Voyager.

The lone DS9 one was kind of funny because it implied all you have to do to keep an omnipotent being from wanting to come back to your space station/starship ever again is to just fucking deck him.

Sisko is lucky that punching Q worked out better than punching a Mac Truck that had pissed him off.

kkt

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on June 07, 2021, 03:07:34 PM
So this Discovery series on the plus streaming network is it any good?  I don't even know the premise.

I like the series, although I am buying the discs as the come out so I haven't seen anything that happened after season 2 yet.  They have a lot of neat plot ideas, and they like tying Discovery into previous Trek series which I appreciate.  On the other hand, I don't feel we've gotten to know most of the characters very well at all, except for the two or three most important characters they don't seem to be making that much effort to fill in backstory and personalities.  (Repeating to emphasize, this is based only on seasons 1 and 2.)

In_Correct

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds is a programme I am going to try to watch. It is doing some thing that should have been done decades ago ... More time with Pike's crew.

Stephane Dumas

Slightly off-topic, but I wonder if some of you saw some Star Trek nods references or parodies like this fanfilm crossover of Star Trek vs Batman or the Star Trek nod in Spaceballs?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wjdCB4VdnQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etY7kbRRQ_c

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.