News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Surrender your man card here

Started by kphoger, July 21, 2021, 12:17:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mgk920

Quote from: kphoger on July 21, 2021, 05:57:52 PM
Quote from: Big John on July 21, 2021, 05:25:07 PM
I have never used a manual shaver.

In contrast, this is what I shave with:

Gillette - there goes your man card right there!

:-o

Mike

1995hoo

Quote from: SkyPesos on July 22, 2021, 10:30:19 PM
I prefer Dutch style/step-through bikes (called "women bikes" in the states for some reason) than step-over bikes for normal use on the streets.

I remember a discussion about that issue at the school bike rack one day when I was growing up. The following theories arose:

–The extra crossbar on a "men's bike" is there to account for men generally being heavier than women and the bike therefore needing to have a stronger frame. (That was my theory.)

–The extra crossbar is omitted so women don't have to swing their leg up and over to mount the bike.

–The extra crossbar is there to provide support for what happens when a guy sees a hot girl.

–The extra crossbar is omitted from "women's bikes" so that if they fall forward off the seat, they won't get stuck. (That theory didn't address why the crossbar is there on "men's bikes," though, because under the same reasoning, a man would suffer injury.)
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

kphoger

Well, it seems now is the time to say it:

I haven't even worn underwear in nearly 14 years.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

andrepoiy

1. No idea how to drive stick (but I want to, sadly I can't because there's no manuals disposable anywhere here)
2. I do not find sports interesting at all, and I really don't understand why it's so interesting anyways (to me, it's just a bunch of people running around tossing a ball. I don't find that interesting at all)
3. I tend to overthink things
4. I tend to be "too emotional"
5. I have never been in a fight, since I'd rather run away instead of getting hurt.
6. I've also never had any large injury or broken any bones, due to not playing sports, not fighting, and generally taking precautions against injury
7. Due to the above, I guess I'm also too cowardly

jmacswimmer

While on the subject - for those who:
-Like having fun designs/prints on their underwear
-If you have a S.O., like having matching underwear

Then I strongly encourage checking out the MeUndies website - over the past year or so, we've gotten each other quite a few matching pairs with amusing print designs (one example: chicken nuggets :-D).  They're also incredibly soft & comfy, and the website frequently has sales!
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

GCrites

Quote from: Takumi on July 22, 2021, 11:23:32 PM
Quote from: GCrites80s on July 22, 2021, 10:19:50 PM
I'm enough of a car guy to know that getting underneath the car on jackstands or even ramps is very dangerous and just not worth it over an oil change. Even getting the car on those things can be hairy. If you have a lift, fine. Oil and filters have gotten so expensive that you barely save money and not enough to get under the car. It really wasn't that long ago that a quart of oil was $1 instead of $6 and decent filters were $2, not $10.

Now let's think about someone who wants to change their own oil for the first time. Buy a jack and jackstands. A set with an only OK jack and two jackstands is what, $80? Do not even consider using the jack that comes with the car. Then the oil drain jobber thing. $20. Don't use a crescent wrench on the oil drain plug. Buy the exact size. Do you know the exact size? Better buy all sizes since you sure as hell don't have a dial caliper. Also get a drain plug gasket. Your kitchen funnel is a no. Do you even know what an oil filter wrench looks like? Another thing to buy unless you want to stab the old one with a screwdriver and hope it comes off that way. You did buy the filter with the bolt head on it if you don't have a filter wrench right? It might be SAE even though you probably had to go out and buy metric wrenches since your car was built after 1982. Oh you've done stuff around the house with your SAE wrenches. House stuff in the USA is the only thing left on Earth that doesn't take metric wrenches. That was true 30 years ago too.

This is a weird take, if I'm honest. I had access to a lift for the better part of a year, but 99% of people don't. Also, if you miss the right points on the lift, well, that's just disaster.

I'm talking about people with very little car experience and next to nothing in the way of tools. Like their car shelf is cleaning stuff and maybe a couple sprays.

kphoger

I've been listening to Enya all morning.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

formulanone

I changed my own oil a few times when I had an in-ground storm shelter. That's a lot of time, energy, and fear taken away right there! The cap wrench was $5 and the oil + filter wasn't much of a savings. I had the rest of the tools and the tire shop down the street takes used oil, if it's contained. Basically, just to prove it to myself.

Back when I worked at a Firestone 20+ years ago, I was shown how to mount and balance a tire on a steel wheel. But I don't feel comfortable racking up a car and it took me a few years to attempt a conversation with a tech underneath a lifted vehicle.

kurumi

Quote from: andrepoiy on July 23, 2021, 10:06:17 AM
5. I have never been in a fight, since I'd rather run away instead of getting hurt.

Long ago, my tae kwon do instructor (solid, big dude, quiet type) said the best outcome of a fight is for the fight not to happen.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

jakeroot

Quote from: kphoger on July 23, 2021, 09:56:01 AM

Depending on the circumstances, I also go without underwear. It can be very freeing and sometimes quite a bit more comfortable.

hbelkins

Quote from: jakeroot on July 23, 2021, 01:46:59 PM

Depending on the circumstances, I also go without underwear. It can be very freeing and sometimes quite a bit more comfortable.

The "freeing" part is what I don't like. I'm not a fan of swinging loose. I prefer everything tucked up nice and close. And the thoughts of catching hair or other more sensitive parts in the zipper aren't appealing.

(Does shaving down there give reason for man card revocation?)

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

kphoger

Quote from: hbelkins on July 23, 2021, 02:08:25 PM

Quote from: jakeroot on July 23, 2021, 01:46:59 PM

The "freeing" part is what I don't like. I'm not a fan of swinging loose. I prefer everything tucked up nice and close. And the thoughts of catching hair or other more sensitive parts in the zipper aren't appealing.

I shave down there too.

But my beard cancels that one out.
Male pronouns, please.

jmacswimmer

Quote from: kphoger on July 23, 2021, 02:13:54 PM
I shave down there too.

Likewise...and the best part is, the electric razor I have for such purposes is called "The Lawnmower" and made by a company called "Manscaped" :)

And the thoughts of catching hair or other more sensitive parts in the zipper aren't appealing.

Whenever anyone mentions this, I instantly think of that scene with Ben Stiller from "There's Something About Mary".
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

jakeroot

I shave a hell of a lot more than just down there! Noted as much in my first post.

Definitely not a man card revocation. Hair alone does not make a man (although literally I suppose it may...)

One complaint I hear a lot from women my age is men preferring them to stay cleanly shaved while they walk around as hairy as one can get. I think that's totally unfair.

kphoger

Quote from: jmacswimmer on July 23, 2021, 02:18:23 PM

Quote from: kphoger on July 23, 2021, 02:13:54 PM

I shave down there too.

Likewise...and the best part is, the electric razor I have for such purposes is called "The Lawnmower" and made by a company called "Manscaped" :)

This is what I use.

Male pronouns, please.

kphoger

(It was the razor my dad used from the time he first started shaving until sometime in the early 1990s.  The date stamp is from 1963.)
Male pronouns, please.

triplemultiplex

Quote from: 1995hoo on July 23, 2021, 07:47:12 AM
I prefer Dutch style/step-through bikes (called "women bikes" in the states for some reason) than step-over bikes for normal use on the streets.

I remember a discussion about that issue at the school bike rack one day when I was growing up. The following theories arose:

–The extra crossbar on a "men's bike" is there to account for men generally being heavier than women and the bike therefore needing to have a stronger frame. (That was my theory.)

–The extra crossbar is omitted so women don't have to swing their leg up and over to mount the bike.

–The extra crossbar is there to provide support for what happens when a guy sees a hot girl.

–The extra crossbar is omitted from "women's bikes" so that if they fall forward off the seat, they won't get stuck. (That theory didn't address why the crossbar is there on "men's bikes," though, because under the same reasoning, a man would suffer injury.)

The design difference was so women could ride bikes while wearing dresses without flashing their under britches.   :-o
And it just stayed that way long after it became 'acceptable' for women to wear pants.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

kphoger

Quote from: triplemultiplex on July 23, 2021, 05:07:36 PM

Quote from: 1995hoo on July 23, 2021, 07:47:12 AM

The design difference was so women could ride bikes while wearing dresses without flashing their under britches.   :-o
And it just stayed that way long after it became 'acceptable' for women to wear pants.

Well, it's perfectly understandable.  After all, women haven't stopped wearing skirts and dresses, and I still occasionally see a woman dressed that way riding a bicycle.
Male pronouns, please.

allniter89

Quote from: CoreySamson on July 21, 2021, 03:06:55 PM
- I don't really know how to grill
- I usually only stand up to pee when I'm outside my house
- I pulled my tricep trying to throw a spiral well this past Sunday
- I'm not really afraid to cry in public
- I'm pretty sure I'll never buy a pickup truck (way too expensive!)
- I can't do push-ups very well at all
You mean u pee in the yard too  :-D? Its ok for me the nearest neighbor is 1/2 mile away.
Sometimes I was addressed as maam at a checkout counter? I dont know why, friends I can trust tell me I dont look or act feminim (not that theres anything wrong with that :) :spin:
As for sports I dont watch entire games, just the last 10 mins or so.
BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: kphoger on July 23, 2021, 10:40:39 AM
I've been listening to Enya all morning.

i like the way she 'layers' her tracks, so its like you're listening to 10 enya's. beautiful voice.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

Roadgeekteen

I also have never broken a bone
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on July 24, 2021, 02:01:36 PM

Might be interesting to spin that off onto it's own thread.  Counting ribs I have broken over a dozen.

LM117

Quote from: hbelkins on July 22, 2021, 02:06:57 PM
Someone mentioned driving a stick. I don't. I have done it a few times, but not well, and honestly had no desire to ever learn to drive a stick.

Manually shifting gears, in my view, makes driving more difficult and more effort- and labor-intensive. I'd rather just accelerate, brake, and steer, and let the machine shift gears for me.

I feel pretty much the same way. I've never driven a manual, nor do I care to learn how. Even if I did know how to drive one, I would still go for the automatic every time since I'm too damn lazy.

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 22, 2021, 02:12:50 PM
Besides, most modern automatics are way faster and usually have more gears than manuals.

I remember when it was the other way around. It wasn't until the late 90's/early 2000's when 5-speed automatics came out, and even then they weren't common.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

Rothman

People are crazy and times are strange
I'm locked in tight, I'm out of range
I used to care, but things have changed.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

JoePCool14

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on July 24, 2021, 02:01:36 PM

Not sure what that has to do with a "man card". I haven't broken or sprained anything and I don't see how that makes me any less masculine.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 65+ Clinches | 280+ Traveled | 8800+ Miles Logged

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.