News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

LA 415 Connector

Started by Plutonic Panda, December 19, 2023, 08:57:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Plutonic Panda

A new 268 million dollar two lane road between Baton Rouge and Port Allen.

U.S. DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION ANNOUNCES $88.3 MILLION LOAN FOR LOUISIANA TO BUILD CRITICAL CONNECTOR PROJECT

Monday, December 18, 2023
New LA 415 will Connect Routes to Support Evacuations and Mobility in Baton Rouge Parish

WASHINGTON – The U.S. Department of Transportation today announced that its Build America Bureau has provided a $88.3 million loan to the Louisiana State Bond Commission for the benefit of the Louisiana Department of Transportation and Development (LADOTD) to build the LA 415 Connector, a new link between LA 1 and LA 415 at Interstate 10 (I-10) in the City of Port Allen in Baton Rouge Parish. By providing Transportation Infrastructure Finance and Innovation Act (TIFIA) and Railroad Rehabilitation & Improvement Financing (RRIF) loans and other financing, the Bureau helps communities expedite infrastructure projects and reduce project costs. 

"The project is critical to improving resiliency and enhancing safety for people in the region by providing a direct connection and evacuation route for areas south of I-10," said Deputy Transportation Secretary Polly Trottenberg. "The new access west of LA 1 will also support regional economic growth for residents and businesses in this area."

This loan is part of a plan that includes $38 million in other federal funding for the $268 million project. The project will deliver 2.7 miles of a new two-lane roadway to connect LA 1 and I-10, bridge structures over the Gulf Intracoastal Waterway, a new interchange between LA 415 and LA 1, and modifications of the I-10 ramps at LA 415.

"Louisiana strategically leveraged funding from a settlement with BP to finance a bundle of projects, which helped make the loan process more efficient," said Executive Director Morteza Farajian. "This is the state's seventh loan closed since 2021 for a total of $289 million, accelerating delivery of critical transportation solutions including five rural projects."

"If all projects funded by the BP settlement were to be funded on a PAYGO only basis the construction would not be able to begin until 2025," said LADOTD Executive Director Dr. Eric Kalivoda.  "By prioritizing the eligible projects that are ready and accelerating construction by borrowing through the TIFIA program against the BP settlement funding, the State has accelerated the project lettings by four years and saved approximately $75 million in inflation costs from a delayed construction start."

The U.S. Department of Transportation has closed $39.8 billion in TIFIA financing, supporting more than $136.1 billion in infrastructure investment across the country.

- https://www.transportation.gov/briefing-room/us-department-transportation-announces-883-million-loan-louisiana-build-critical

bwana39

Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: bwana39 on December 19, 2023, 09:24:54 PM
https://westbatonrougemuseum.org/385/LA-1-LA-415-Connector
I'm not too familiar with this area other than the occasional visit to New Orleans. Will this really help the area? It makes it sound as a game changer for the region and to alleviate traffic congestion.

bwana39

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on December 19, 2023, 09:37:51 PM
Quote from: bwana39 on December 19, 2023, 09:24:54 PM
https://westbatonrougemuseum.org/385/LA-1-LA-415-Connector
I'm not too familiar with this area other than the occasional visit to New Orleans. Will this really help the area? It makes it sound as a game changer for the region and to alleviate traffic congestion.

It will help clear I-10 westbound during  rush hours. It should dramatically clear the traffic backups going to the west bank south of of the ICC.  THey still need another bridge or two across the river itself. Still have to wonder if LA-1 can handle the traffic even then. 
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

CoreySamson

I am excited for this project! The West Bank is growing rapidly by Louisiana standards and could absolutely use more connections to I-10. I found an article on the DOTD website about the project, which has some interesting details:

http://wwwapps.dotd.la.gov/administration/announcements/announcement.aspx?key=34525

The biggest thing I noticed is that while the USDOT link listed above suggests the road will be two lanes, the DOTD article confirms the connector will be four lanes. I am not sure who is right. The article also says that construction is slated to start in late 2025 or early 2026, wrapping up in late 2028.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.