News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

JMoses24's Road Pictures

Started by JMoses24, January 20, 2013, 04:45:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JMoses24

Quote from: amroad17 on March 14, 2014, 10:27:44 AM
Good to hear from you again.  In fact, just yesterday my wife asked if you had posted anything recently.  I told her that, no, I had not seen any posts from you for a couple of months, probably due to our weather situation for the past few weeks and that you are not able to "just get out" due to you being in a wheelchair.

These are excellent changes as more drivers are taking Aero Pkwy from Florence to Burlington (and vice versa).  It is a great way to avoid the Florence Mall traffic on KY 18 and the Wal-Mart/Meijer traffic on Houston Road.

So, will KY 1017 still retain its North/South designation even though you will be heading south on Aero (and KY 1017 would be designated North) toward KY 18 or will it be East/West? 

I just returned home, and am endeavoring to get these posted in the next little bit, but I can go ahead and answer this question now before posting the photos.

KY SR 1017 is designated as North/South at least as far as the intersection with Ted Bushelman Boulevard. I didn't go further than that, because I was already having problems fighting the wind (which was pushing 40-45 mph in gusts at times) and wanted to be able to make it home under my own power. (My back still locked up as soon as I got in the door.) Otherwise, I might have rode all the way to the west end of Aero. I will go back and photograph the west end of KY 1017 on a warmer/less windy day this spring.

JMoses24

Quote from: hbelkins on March 14, 2014, 01:22:53 PM
Quote from: JMoses24 on March 14, 2014, 10:05:25 AM
Some new photos will be forthcoming today, as there have been some changes to the state route system in my county. To wit:

1) Aero Parkway has been designated as an extension of KY 1017 to the west of Florence.
2) In turn, they also took KY 717 and extended that designation up Turfway Road over the former KY 1017 to the north of Florence, also multiplexed with 1017 for a short distance between its former ending at Turfway and the east end of Aero Parkway.
3) Another road, Ted Bushelman Blvd, has been designated in totality as KY 3159.

I saw your interaction with my friend and colleague Nancy on the Facebook page. :-)

Yep, I wanted to know when the designation had been put in place, since I hadn't been to the area in awhile. The last couple weeks are the first time I've been able to be observant like I usually am. I first noticed the KY 1017 designation while en route to my pharmacy to get my wheelchair repaired (another reason I haven't done much roadgeeking recently...the chair's brakes were haywire, and if I was gonna be out, I wasn't going to lollygag around like I would on a geeking trip like today's). When I had been out that way in January, that designation hadn't been in effect.

JMoses24

Here we go. This is fixing to be a two-parter most likely. They won't be in any semblance of order, and I apologize for that. There's just too damn many.

Also, I shrunk some of them to 800x600, thus they look kinda skewed. Click through to see it as it should look.

JMoses24

The rest of the set. Again, not really in any semblance of order, but they're there.

amroad17

I see KYDOT simply switched the directions around.  It surprised me when I viewed the photos, however, it does make sense.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

hbelkins

If they switched directions, they would have to reverse the milepoints. That would be reflected in the official orders listed at the end of the SPRS listings for that county (Boone, right?).

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

amroad17

Reviewing the photos again, I noticed that KYDOT signed KY 717's concurrency incorrectly.  It should be a "wrong way concurrency" as the cardinal directions on KY 1017 have been switched (KY 717 should be signed NORTH in the last photo).

I'm sure the milepoints will be revised/changed as KY 1017 is not on the same routing as before.  I have never seen any mileposts along the original route since I moved here 19 years ago.  Since I have been here, KY 1017's former north end point has changed three times.  It originally ended at Donaldson Rd. (KY 236).  It was then extended over the rest of Turfway Rd., made a left at Dolwick, and ended at Mineola Pike.  When Dolwick was built next to I-275 to Erlanger-Crescent Springs Rd., KY 1017 was truncated back to the end of Turfway.

JMoses24

Quote from: hbelkins on March 14, 2014, 11:16:46 PM
If they switched directions, they would have to reverse the milepoints. That would be reflected in the official orders listed at the end of the SPRS listings for that county (Boone, right?).

Yes, this is Boone County.

I didn't notice any reversal of mileposts. So either they did and I just didn't notice, or the directions weren't supposed to be reversed.

JMoses24

Whole bunch of photos planned when I return from the northeast. We'll see how it goes (road to hell and all that...), but I plan to take massive photos on the trip.

roadman65

Nice photos!  Do not get out to KY that much these days and good to see some road photos there.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

JMoses24

I didn't get too many photos from my big trip, though I do have them. I still need to upload. In the meantime, here's a photo taken yesterday from UCHealth Stadium in Florence looking toward road construction at I-75 and US 42.

amroad17

KY 1017 (Turfway Rd/Aero Pkwy) is now signed East-West.  The KY 717 concurrency is still signed wrong.  North should be signed South and vice versa.  Also the BGS just west of I-71/75 still has KY 1017 South.  It needs to be changed to East.

JMoses24

Quote from: amroad17 on June 16, 2014, 03:38:03 AM
KY 1017 (Turfway Rd/Aero Pkwy) is now signed East-West.  The KY 717 concurrency is still signed wrong.  North should be signed South and vice versa.  Also the BGS just west of I-71/75 still has KY 1017 South.  It needs to be changed to East.

Interesting. I'll get out there and look sometime over the next few days.

JMoses24

I didn't get a whole lot of usable photos on my Northeast Roadtrip, but I did get a couple in the Pittsburgh area and a few from Connecticut along I-95 coming back. I got more sunset stuff than roads in CT.

Connecticut along I-95 southbound the night of May 21:

Pittsburgh, coming into the city the next morning around 6:15 AM on I-376 approaching Squirrel Hill, which was a total cluster-foxtrot.

ElPanaChevere

The one photo that struck me as odd was the one in Norwood on I-71. Why is Cincinnati listed as a control city when you pretty much are in Cincinnati? I feel like Louisville (to I-75/Lexington) would have been a better choice, or "Downtown".
Interstates Clinched: 16,17,24,66,78,85,87
Been On: 4,5,8,10,12,15,20,24,25, 26,30,35,40,44,55,57,59,64,65,68,69,70,71,72,73,74(W/E),75,76(W/E),77,80,81,82,83,84(W/E),88(E),89,90,91,93,94,95,96,99

hbelkins

Same reason you see Louisville listed on I-64 or I-65 at the Watterson Expressway.

ElPanaChevere

Quote from: hbelkins on July 01, 2014, 10:37:11 PM
Same reason you see Louisville listed on I-64 or I-65 at the Watterson Expressway.

Do you think that those signs should say something else or something more accurate like "downtown Louisville"?
Interstates Clinched: 16,17,24,66,78,85,87
Been On: 4,5,8,10,12,15,20,24,25, 26,30,35,40,44,55,57,59,64,65,68,69,70,71,72,73,74(W/E),75,76(W/E),77,80,81,82,83,84(W/E),88(E),89,90,91,93,94,95,96,99

hbelkins

I'd be good with just "Downtown."

JMoses24

Quote from: amroad17 on March 14, 2014, 10:27:44 AM
Good to hear from you again.  In fact, just yesterday my wife asked if you had posted anything recently.  I told her that, no, I had not seen any posts from you for a couple of months, probably due to our weather situation for the past few weeks and that you are not able to "just get out" due to you being in a wheelchair.

These are excellent changes as more drivers are taking Aero Pkwy from Florence to Burlington (and vice versa).  It is a great way to avoid the Florence Mall traffic on KY 18 and the Wal-Mart/Meijer traffic on Houston Road.

So, will KY 1017 still retain its North/South designation even though you will be heading south on Aero (and KY 1017 would be designated North) toward KY 18 or will it be East/West? 

Since March, the reassurance markers on Turfway have been changed and the road is now signed east-west. However, the BGS on eastbound Turfway Road (shown upthread) has not yet. I have put in a query to HB's friend and colleague Nancy Wood at KYTC District 6 regarding that.

hbelkins

Nancy's on vacation, so it may be week after next before you hear back from her.  :sombrero:

amroad17

Quote from: ElPanaChevere on July 01, 2014, 11:34:35 AM
The one photo that struck me as odd was the one in Norwood on I-71. Why is Cincinnati listed as a control city when you pretty much are in Cincinnati? I feel like Louisville (to I-75/Lexington) would have been a better choice, or "Downtown".
If you are mentioning the BGS's on eastbound Norwood Lateral, at that point you are still in Norwood.  The BGS's on the west end of the Norwood Lateral for I-75 list Lexington because you are inside the Cincinnati city limits there.

hbelkins

Been a long time since I've been across the Lateral. Are those signs old, or have they been replaced recently?

JMoses24

Quote from: hbelkins on July 03, 2014, 11:22:49 PM
Been a long time since I've been across the Lateral. Are those signs old, or have they been replaced recently?

They've been replaced. The old signs were button copy and did not have exit tabs (heck, they weren't even NUMBERED).

JMoses24

Recently I was in the area of Hopple Street and I-75 in Cincinnati. These photos were taken from the White Castle at MLK Drive and Central Parkway.

JMoses24

Friday night, I was on my way home from downtown Cincinnati, and I saw this. This new install is located at Turfway Road on Dixie Highway.

This photo was posted in the "Damaged Signs" thread...the sign was apparently hit by a car. This has been replaced, I'm told.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.