News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

New Jersey

Started by Alps, September 17, 2013, 07:00:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

Quote from: famartin on September 27, 2021, 07:24:37 AM
Quote from: NJRoadfan on September 26, 2021, 11:20:59 PM
The WEST NJ-3 to WEST US-46 sign makes sense due to traffic coming off of GSP northbound looking to make that connection. Alas, that sign is before the northbound GSP ramp merges on!
The content makes sense, but the single arrow will be wrong when construction is complete.

The arrow not only should it be there, but center the distance to the Valley Road/ Route 46 split. Problem solved.  And also remove the NJ 3 shield for sole US 46 too.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

famartin

Quote from: roadman65 on September 27, 2021, 09:14:43 AM
The WEST NJ-3 to WEST US-46 sign makes sense due to traffic coming off of GSP northbound looking to make that connection. Alas, that sign is before the northbound GSP ramp merges on!
The content makes sense, but the single arrow will be wrong when construction is complete.

The arrow not only should it be there, but center the distance to the Valley Road/ Route 46 split. Problem solved.  And also remove the NJ 3 shield for sole US 46 too.
Well, you're not actually on 46 yet...

roadman65

Quote from: famartin on September 27, 2021, 09:21:29 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on September 27, 2021, 09:14:43 AM

Well, you're not actually on 46 yet...

With the distance shifted to the center it would become a dual advanced exit guide.

Sheryl Crowe

storm2k

I saw on someone's Instagram stories that it looks like the PA has put up the new gold and blue signs for the Newark Airport ramps off of 1-9 now. Includes that new gold Lady Liberty torch. Pour one out for the death of the original four color EWR logo, which was unique and a great trailblazer to find your way to and from the airport for several decades. I wonder if this means that NJDOT will replace the one they put on those new signs at the end of 22 with either the torch logo (less likely) or the generic MUTCD airport logo.

Alps

Quote from: storm2k on September 30, 2021, 05:13:39 PM
I saw on someone's Instagram stories that it looks like the PA has put up the new gold and blue signs for the Newark Airport ramps off of 1-9 now. Includes that new gold Lady Liberty torch. Pour one out for the death of the original four color EWR logo, which was unique and a great trailblazer to find your way to and from the airport for several decades. I wonder if this means that NJDOT will replace the one they put on those new signs at the end of 22 with either the torch logo (less likely) or the generic MUTCD airport logo.
Someone in this forum is involved with the new design standards.

storm2k

NJDOT makes it official, announces that the new Rt 7/Whitpenn Bridge opens this weekend.

There will be some closures and detours this weekend as they get everything in place. Additionally, some detours will last a while to build new ramps between Rt 7 and 1-9 Truck SB.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: storm2k on October 01, 2021, 01:17:04 AM
NJDOT makes it official, announces that the new Rt 7/Whitpenn Bridge opens this weekend.

There will be some closures and detours this weekend as they get everything in place. Additionally, some detours will last a while to build new ramps between Rt 7 and 1-9 Truck SB.

It's never official until it actually happens!  :cool:

But, looking at the weather forecast for tonight and this weekend, it looks to be perception-free so there should be no issues.

vdeane

I wonder how pervasive those weekend closures will be.  I was hoping to drive the new bridge on the 10th.  Between this and the rainy forecast for that weekend, it looks like my travel plans for the Atlantic Beach mini-meet are falling apart.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

74/171FAN

Quote from: vdeane on October 01, 2021, 08:38:32 PM
I wonder how pervasive those weekend closures will be.  I was hoping to drive the new bridge on the 10th.  Between this and the rainy forecast for that weekend, it looks like my travel plans for the Atlantic Beach mini-meet are falling apart.

Looking at NYC in Accuweather, the day of the meet shows scattered showers with the majority of the rain on the day before.  Hopefully, it will stay that way.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Alps

Yeah, definitely don't check out a new road unless everything is absolutely perfect.

vdeane

Quote from: 74/171FAN on October 01, 2021, 08:55:42 PM

Looking at NYC in Accuweather, the day of the meet shows scattered showers with the majority of the rain on the day before.  Hopefully, it will stay that way.
Looks like Accuweather is being more optimistic than Weather Underground (which makes it look like a washout, though it dipped to something nicer briefly last night before reverting back today).  Actually, that seems to be a trend this whole year.  Let's hope that's more accurate.

Quote from: Alps on October 01, 2021, 09:11:39 PM
Yeah, definitely don't check out a new road unless everything is absolutely perfect.
It doesn't need to be perfect, but the article is making it sound like it won't even be open.  Unless they meant weekend lane/ramp closures and not full bridge closures?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Alps

Quote from: vdeane on October 01, 2021, 09:38:21 PM
Quote from: 74/171FAN on October 01, 2021, 08:55:42 PM

Looks like Accuweather is being more optimistic than Weather Underground (which makes it look like a washout, though it dipped to something nicer briefly last night before reverting back today).  Actually, that seems to be a trend this whole year.  Let's hope that's more accurate.

Quote from: Alps on October 01, 2021, 09:11:39 PM
It doesn't need to be perfect, but the article is making it sound like it won't even be open.  Unless they meant weekend lane/ramp closures and not full bridge closures?
7 will be open. They will have shoulder and lane closures to finish tie-ins.

storm2k

I wasn't able to grab a picture when i went thru there yesterday, but I saw that this sign was replaced with an APL. An APL sign is not a bad thing to have here as that middle lane is a true option lane while the left lane completely drops off onto 280, but NJDOT (or their contractor) messed up the arrows! The arrows for the lanes that continue onto 80 are right arrows, where they should be straight. The rest of the sign looks very good, too, so I'm annoyed by the mistake.

Alps

Quote from: storm2k on October 02, 2021, 08:27:47 PM
I wasn't able to grab a picture when i went thru there yesterday, but I saw that this sign was replaced with an APL. An APL sign is not a bad thing to have here as that middle lane is a true option lane while the left lane completely drops off onto 280, but NJDOT (or their contractor) messed up the arrows! The arrows for the lanes that continue onto 80 are right arrows, where they should be straight. The rest of the sign looks very good, too, so I'm annoyed by the mistake.
And I'm excited for the other advance signs.

roadman65

A welcome change in Newark of the dark signal heads.
https://goo.gl/maps/mWFCmkXFPVWGbsQ69
NJ used to have dark colors until the eighties when NJ went to yellow.

Ironically when the rest of the state was green or black, Newark was yellow then.

https://goo.gl/maps/yG8yq6ALrUoRowtA9
Also it appears that NJ won't result in installing signal heads on bridges. Florida would not attempt to fit a mast arm under a bridge but mount the heads to the bridge itself.

Sheryl Crowe

artmalk

Did they change "The Oranges - Newark" to Kearny like on the sign further east on 280?

02 Park Ave

It is October 4th and I have yet to see any gas stations lower their prices to reflect the reduction in the State tax which went into effect last Friday.
C-o-H

famartin

Quote from: artmalk on October 04, 2021, 10:50:18 AM

Did they change "The Oranges - Newark" to Kearny like on the sign further east on 280?
Actually I think I saw a new pull thru on 280 at 527 with all three.

plain

Quote from: roadman65 on October 04, 2021, 09:39:57 AM
https://goo.gl/maps/yG8yq6ALrUoRowtA9
Also it appears that NJ won't result in installing signal heads on bridges. Florida would not attempt to fit a mast arm under a bridge but mount the heads to the bridge itself.

I've been to that spot several times. That overpass is too high for signals to be mounted on it without having them hanging further down to the correct height.
Newark born, Richmond bred

storm2k

Quote from: artmalk on October 04, 2021, 10:50:18 AM

No, it still uses The Oranges and Newark as before.

roadman65

https://goo.gl/maps/fYWStBJeUiXcJ5Ux9

Why does Route 440 cross under the NJ Turnpike and then cross back?

Sheryl Crowe

famartin

Quote from: roadman65 on October 05, 2021, 12:54:10 AM

It's a few roads cobbled together to form one route, like I-278. Before around 2001, the eastern piece was Route 169, If memory serves. They wanted to build a freeway down the west side of Hoboken, but fat chance of that.

roadman65

Yeah I remember the interchange that was removed, but they could have straightened the road when they took out the bridge that was to connect SB 440 to previous NJ 169.

Sheryl Crowe

Alps

Because that's what they built. How much more are you spending on a connection that functions well enough?

roadman65

Quote from: Alps on October 05, 2021, 06:00:16 PM

Because that's what they built. How much more are you spending on a connection that functions well enough?

Yeah but the shortest way is in a straight line.  It is odd that it's built that way, I'm not saying bulldoze the thing and start over. I'm just wondering why it wasn't built right at first.

Like I haven't heard you complaining about shit done already on here.   It's a valid question like any others on here.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.