News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

New Jersey

Started by Alps, September 17, 2013, 07:00:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

Quote from: famartin on October 13, 2021, 12:02:13 AM
Quote from: Alps on October 12, 2021, 07:36:15 PM
Quote from: famartin on October 12, 2021, 02:22:56 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on October 12, 2021, 01:55:58 PM
Well I see Passaic County signs it's 600 series routes like this one on River Road in Clifton near the Famous Ruts Hut restaurant.
https://goo.gl/maps/F8xhUvR1sh9PwsCW6

When I lived there Bergen, Hudson, and Passaic Counties were bad at signing 600 series routes as well as some 500 series too. So this is welcome to see for sure.  Oh wait, Bergen don't have 600 series, but two digit numbers. However the same treatment.

Hudson and Bergen remain very limited with 600 level signage. Most Bergen ones are very old, the old black on white squares. Hudson is mainly nonexistent, though I think NJDOT posted some EMMs along Paterson Plank Road near 3 and the Eastern Spur in Secaucus/North Bergen area. Hudson mostly doesn't sign 500s either, but Bergen does sign them fairly well. Passaic seems to sign all its CRs pretty well.
NJDOT is the only one signing the county level systems in Hudson and Bergen.

Hudson I believe. But Bergen? There are quite a lot of 500 roads signed well away from NJDOT maintained areas. So... not so sure about that.
500s are not a county level system. County routes, state system. I couldn't say 600 because Bergen.

famartin

State designed, but still county maintained and signed, for the most part.

DrSmith

As a kid in the early 90s, I remember a lot of 600 series routes not being signed at least in Gloucester, Camden, and Salem counties. I remember looking at a map and seeing many roads had county route numbers that were not posted anywhere along the length. Others would be posted more frequently.  Maybe it wasn't as much a local issue as it seemed all the county routes were known by names and not as much by numbers, including many of the 500 series routes which includes some of the longer routes that can have multiple name changes for each township/borough/etc boundary crossed.  Over time more and more routes started getting identified with signs for the route numbers.

roadman65

In NJ many 500s series were hidden but signed on interstates up until the early eighties. However, some exits like CR 503 on Hackensack on I-80 remained unsigned for the route even into the nineties and possibly today.   Oh yes, and on Route 495 at JFK Blvd in Hudson County as well.

Only South Jersey had signing when I grew up as Union County, where I lived, had no county designations signed. 
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

famartin

Quote from: roadman65 on October 13, 2021, 01:06:40 PM
In NJ many 500s series were hidden but signed on interstates up until the early eighties. However, some exits like CR 503 on Hackensack on I-80 remained unsigned for the route even into the nineties and possibly today.   Oh yes, and on Route 495 at JFK Blvd in Hudson County as well.

Only South Jersey had signing when I grew up as Union County, where I lived, had no county designations signed.

CR 503 doesn't directly interchange with I-80. CR 507 does and is signed. CR 501 and CR 505 don't interchange directly with I-95. CR 501 does interchange with NJ 495, so that is missing in signage, as is the case along NJ 440 in Hoboken.

CR 501, 502, 503, 505 and 507 are reasonably well signed with reassurance shields in Bergen all along their routes. CR 501 is not signed with reassurance signs except near 440 and 495 in Hudson County, and CR 505 is not signed at all in Hudson County. CR 508 is signed with reassurance markers near NJ 7 and I-280 in Hudson County, as is 507 near Route 7. Otherwise, little to no signage.

roadman65

Then you have CR 508 signed at Exit 10 in West Orange on I-280 for Northfield Avenue where that part of Northfield is not even CR 508. It leaves Northfield at Wittingham Place to the west, yet the ramp signage has it signed both ways in error to match it.

I think though the reasoning is people would head south on Valley Road to Kingsley which is CR 508. In retrospect it should be TO CR 508 or TO CR 508 West.

Sheryl Crowe

NJRoadfan

Starting in the early 00s, NJDOT appears to have made a push for counties to sign their 500 and 600 series routes. Union County got a full sign refresh in 2003-04. Passaic County was one of the more recent ones done.

storm2k

Somerset County, meanwhile, has always been well above average with signing its county routes. Sadly, their custom white on blue pentagons with the black on white aux plates (for direction, arrows, etc) are slowly disappearing as they replace old signs with standard yellow on blue pentagons. Either way, they do sign almost all of their county routes, including at main intersections and also reassurance shields along the way. Plus they've been doing their own version of EMMs for close to 20 years already. It's not perfect, of course (Finderne Ave south of E Main St doesn't reflect its change from 533 to 633, Chimney Rock Rd doesn't have signs for its routes but they do exist on NJDOT's street name blades as well as the new BGSs installed with the interchange grade separation project that was done at Route 22, and Allen Rd is a county road with no signage whatsoever. And those are just three off the top of my head), but most of the heavily used county routes--both 5xx and 6xx--are signed.

NJRoadfan

I think those Somerset County shields are actually faded. Most of them are well over 20 years old and are finally getting replaced.

roadman65

Downtown Bound Brook at the roundabout has no CR 527 shields as it turns from Main to Easton Avenue.  Plus at Main and Mountain there is no shields (unless they added them since Google was there last) showing the junction of CR 527 and the terminus of CR 533.

Plus the Watchung Circle in Watchung according to GSV lost the shields it once had including a I-78 shield at the Valley Road exit of the circle.

Sheryl Crowe

Alps

Quote from: NJRoadfan on October 14, 2021, 05:44:14 PM
I think those Somerset County shields are actually faded. Most of them are well over 20 years old and are finally getting replaced.
No, they were white the whole time. I've seen newer whites.

bzakharin

I actually didn't know that the road I grew up on was a county route. If I recall correctly, 600-series county route signs in Camden County started popping up on traffic light blades in the mid to late 90s, and shortly thereafter on standalone assemblies.

famartin

Quote from: bzakharin on October 15, 2021, 12:49:21 PM
I actually didn't know that the road I grew up on was a county route. If I recall correctly, 600-series county route signs in Camden County started popping up on traffic light blades in the mid to late 90s, and shortly thereafter on standalone assemblies.

There are a smattering of old 600/700 signs in Camden County that are the old black-on-white squares, which probably date from many decades ago, but I don't know the history of signing there.

storm2k

Quote from: NJRoadfan on October 14, 2021, 05:44:14 PM

Oh no, it's quite intentional. This 525 shield is very clearly white on blue, not faded yellow (you can also see the kinda intermediate thing Somerset County did for several years where they did a standard yellow on blue pentagon but the direction and arrow panels were black on white).

NoGoodNamesAvailable

I've noticed a weird practice that only seems to be used so thoroughly in NJ, of painting transverse rumble strips across the road. I've seen this done in other states as well to provide advance warning of particularly dangerous roadway conditions like a freeway ending, but certain towns in NJ like to put these things everywhere on low-speed local roads (Newark for example). If they're supposed to be warning of something, I can't tell what it is, because they are often used in sets of 2 or 3 on every block of a street. In other cases they are used more infrequently, but still seemingly with no rhyme or reason. If they're trying to warn of a certain condition they're doing a really bad job of it. And if their purpose is speed control, that's even dumber, because the strips are only the most mild annoyance, and if anything you feel them less at higher speeds. Does anyone know what the theory is with these?

jeffandnicole

Quote from: NoGoodNamesAvailable on October 20, 2021, 08:36:38 PM
I've noticed a weird practice that only seems to be used so thoroughly in NJ, of painting transverse rumble strips across the road. I've seen this done in other states as well to provide advance warning of particularly dangerous roadway conditions like a freeway ending, but certain towns in NJ like to put these things everywhere on low-speed local roads (Newark for example). If they're supposed to be warning of something, I can't tell what it is, because they are often used in sets of 2 or 3 on every block of a street. In other cases they are used more infrequently, but still seemingly with no rhyme or reason. If they're trying to warn of a certain condition they're doing a really bad job of it. And if their purpose is speed control, that's even dumber, because the strips are only the most mild annoyance, and if anything you feel them less at higher speeds. Does anyone know what the theory is with these?

I'm not sure what you mean by used so thoroughly in NJ, because I really haven't seen them almost anywhere in South Jersey.  The only real example I can think of are these on NJ 129 in Trenton approaching Lalor Street: https://goo.gl/maps/JNZxgXDXAkWhMLcFA , which I believed were put in place after a nasty crash that also resulted in 129's speed limit being lowered to 40 mph shortly after the roadway opened.

DrSmith

Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 20, 2021, 09:59:56 PM

I'm not sure what you mean by used so thoroughly in NJ, because I really haven't seen them almost anywhere in South Jersey.  The only real example I can think of are these on NJ 129 in Trenton approaching Lalor Street: https://goo.gl/maps/JNZxgXDXAkWhMLcFA , which I believed were put in place after a nasty crash that also resulted in 129's speed limit being lowered to 40 mph shortly after the roadway opened.

I have come across them in Salem County leading up to an intersection where you need to stop.
Similarly, I am figuring there have been issues at these intersections.

https://goo.gl/maps/iU7w7JK4aDdmg23B9
https://goo.gl/maps/wHuvKtxt9FfQZGnj9
https://goo.gl/maps/4fQDRPRbJAQNGhyL8

Alps

It's not thorough, it's jurisdictional.

Roadgeek Adam

Passaic's plans were to add shields as roads were paved and it was fun to watch them pop up. There were some errors as they were put up. (I was told this by the Passaic County people.)
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

roadman65

It took years for North Jersey to get into this. I saw Union County Start at some intersections in early 1980s along CR 509 in Kenilworth, Union, and Hillside.

Middlesex County started in the Mid Eighties. However when CR 501 got done, they only signed it to the Edison- Fords Line omitting King George Road up until sometime after 1990.

Sheryl Crowe

roadman65

Weird mast arm connection to pole here. I guess a Monmouth County thing.
https://goo.gl/maps/E8WBA5c4t3saoqqf7

Also https://goo.gl/maps/QgqK3zivLpGDFV4B9 I-95 now featured with the Turnpike shield for I-195 west from CR 537. It's about time.

Sheryl Crowe

famartin

roadman65

Quote from: famartin on November 03, 2021, 04:39:12 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on November 03, 2021, 02:04:32 PM
Also https://goo.gl/maps/QgqK3zivLpGDFV4B9 I-95 now featured with the Turnpike shield for I-195 west from CR 537. It's about time.

That sign was posted 2-3 years ago.
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.1616451,-74.4219741,3a,75y,229.38h,86.24t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1se0rVD-fyfAGXccJ7B5X_YA!2e0!5s20190801T000000!7i16384!8i8192

Whether two years ago, or five years ago, it's about time that I-95 gets recognized. I meant now as figurative speech not literally.

Sheryl Crowe

storm2k

Got some more pictures of the 440 sign replacements in Edison/Perth Amboy. I have very mixed feelings about these. I'm not a big fan of some things NJDOT has decided to do now. Weird things with spacing and dividing lines on signs that I feel over complicate things. Plus, NJDOT is very much in love with yellow panels now, even for things that don't need them.

jeffandnicole

Being that sometimes you have a split second to determine which way to go when an exit ramp divides, I actually kind of like that left lane/right lane sign.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.