News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kphoger

Quote from: snowc on May 19, 2022, 03:28:58 PM
Here's some more images courtesy of Zillow.
The license plates (blurred per AARoads rules) are pretty cool and nostalgic!

Can you spot the lone SC one?

OK, I give up.

1.  Where is the sign in that photo?

2.  What AARoads rule are you referring to?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

ethanhopkin14

formulanone

Quote from: kphoger on May 17, 2022, 02:33:42 PM
Quote from: Tom958 on May 17, 2022, 04:29:20 AM
This guy had been kicking around the i-285-GA 400 construction site for the last several months. It's made of the modified top half of this sign and the modified bottom half of this one. Below is my photo from a few weeks ago, but here's a Streetview from December 2021 when it was literally coming apart.

[img

The last time I was there, the old battleaxe had been replaced with this new, temporary masterpiece, in the Series C text now used for temporary signage on this project. No exit number tab, pointless divider line, two arrows for one exit. MUTCD? What's that?  :clap:

[img

Nobody expects temporary construction zone signage to be up to spec.

The more out-of-spec construction signage is, the better.

It's also more fleeting, so it won't sting so badly compared to seeing it for the next 10-20years.

Jim

Just processed my pictures from a ride to Providence back on March 1, and thought a few of these from Woonsocket would be of interest in this thread.

Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

hbelkins

Quote from: kphoger on May 19, 2022, 04:14:45 PM
Quote from: snowc on May 19, 2022, 03:28:58 PM
Here's some more images courtesy of Zillow.
The license plates (blurred per AARoads rules) are pretty cool and nostalgic!

Can you spot the lone SC one?

OK, I give up.

1.  Where is the sign in that photo?

2.  What AARoads rule are you referring to?

Probably one he made up.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

ethanhopkin14

Not survey what I like best about this.  The reverse order of the shields or the text in on the arrow. 

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Bruce

PurdueBill

I have wanted to get a photo of this pair of shields for a couple years but it is hard to do so with all the heavy traffic, construction, etc. around it.  I finally settled for sharing street view's image of it, as it is too wacky not to share.  The I-76 shield was clearly doctored, possibly onsite, possibly even while it was on the posts as you can even tell driving by something is wrong with it.  The 6 is clearly hand-done and they look to have tried to color over the 7.  Guess they installed two 77 shields in the first place?

https://goo.gl/maps/mbfEwUzpLxGBEua18

Mr. Matté

An extremely non-standard sign installed incorrectly now rendering wrong useless information.

This was the intent of the horrible legend:

GaryA

Saw an unusual street name in Las Vegas last week -- "Deliveries Only Way".

Couldn't get a pic, but the GSV is https://goo.gl/maps/7Bt489xXE4qARtVB6

(Looks like it goes to the loading dock at the Aria resort.)

kphoger

Quote from: GaryA on May 23, 2022, 03:28:35 PM

Here in my area, we have a street called Derby High School.
Male pronouns, please.

roadman65

This one with a misplaced arrow to denote the far right lane exits.

Should point down to the right lane or have two arrows with one standard lane control and the other lane control with black Exit only pointing to the right lane.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Scott5114

Quote from: kphoger on May 24, 2022, 09:22:00 AM

Here in my area, we have a street called Derby High School.

The one similar instance here in Norman I can think of, they at least called it Reagan North Drive.

For Norman North High School, they signed it as Timberwolves Trail (after the school mascot).

(Also, regarding your example, I have to wonder if they intentionally created the intersection of Rock and Pinion...)
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kphoger

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 24, 2022, 06:41:47 PM
For Norman North High School, they signed it as Timberwolves Trail (after the school mascot).

Pretty common, I think.

For example:  Harrisburg (IL) Middle School's address is Bulldog Drive–which is actually signed as Purple Pride Drive.  (That fact confused me the first time I, a recent transplant to the area, needed to make a delivery there.)  They are "Home of the Bulldogs", and their school color is purple.
Male pronouns, please.

ClassicHasClass

Frank Sinatra is the #protip of Vegas. We use it to avoid mainline traffic on LV Blvd.

Occidental Tourist

Probably the one-way street heading into The Bank.

wanderer2575

Quote from: PurdueBill on May 21, 2022, 02:38:35 PM
I have wanted to get a photo of this pair of shields for a couple years but it is hard to do so with all the heavy traffic, construction, etc. around it.  I finally settled for sharing street view's image of it, as it is too wacky not to share.  The I-76 shield was clearly doctored, possibly onsite, possibly even while it was on the posts as you can even tell driving by something is wrong with it.  The 6 is clearly hand-done and they look to have tried to color over the 7.  Guess they installed two 77 shields in the first place?

https://goo.gl/maps/mbfEwUzpLxGBEua18

Having neither currently a life nor anything better to do yesterday, I drove the 480-mile round trip to Akron to get this and some other sign photos.  (Bonus was some walking at Cuyahoga Valley NP and my first visit to a Sheetz for a bite.  My arteries are still clogging from the mozzarella sticks burger, but that was a good eat.)

As PurdueBill noted, pretty much all of I-77 in Akron is under heavy long-term construction, including reconstruction of the I-76/I-77/OH-8 interchange with new flyovers to northbound OH-8 and to southbound I-77.  This assembly is oddly placed in the middle of the interchange before the point where I-77 merges in, and currently is the only duplex assembly in the westbound direction.  After a couple unsuccessful attempts at a photo while moving, I finally stopped on the narrow shoulder and walked back a bit to get this photo.  Don't ask how stupid that was (answer: really stupid).

The I-76 shield seems to be the same as the one in the GSV imagery, with the funky "6," but it appears that someone has since made an additional effort to paint or tape over the "7" that was originally there.  You can still see it if you zoom in.  Feel free to save this image for yourselves or for sharing, but please put my username with it.

PurdueBill

Quote from: wanderer2575 on May 25, 2022, 02:50:19 PM
Having neither currently a life nor anything better to do yesterday, I drove the 480-mile round trip to Akron to get this and some other sign photos.  (Bonus was some walking at Cuyahoga Valley NP and my first visit to a Sheetz for a bite.  My arteries are still clogging from the mozzarella sticks burger, but that was a good eat.)

As PurdueBill noted, pretty much all of I-77 in Akron is under heavy long-term construction, including reconstruction of the I-76/I-77/OH-8 interchange with new flyovers to northbound OH-8 and to southbound I-77.  This assembly is oddly placed in the middle of the interchange before the point where I-77 merges in, and currently is the only duplex assembly in the westbound direction.  After a couple unsuccessful attempts at a photo while moving, I finally stopped on the narrow shoulder and walked back a bit to get this photo.  Don't ask how stupid that was (answer: really stupid).

The I-76 shield seems to be the same as the one in the GSV imagery, with the funky "6," but it appears that someone has since made an additional effort to paint or tape over the "7" that was originally there.  You can still see it if you zoom in.  Feel free to save this image for yourselves or for sharing, but please put my username with it.

The current shields replaced ones that were a good bit older that had been there a long time.  (Although the whole stretch has had stuff routed here and there and they completely eliminated bridges over a vacated rail ROW a few years back, slightly changing the alignment.)  The holdover is that 77 is to the left of 76; this was on many BGSs as well and is supposedly a carryover of carbon copying stuff from when 76 was 80S (so the lower number, going on the left, was 77 at the time).  There are indeed no other duplex shield assemblies.  There once were duplex blue 2/10 mile markers on the stretch; they only had E or W for the direction, so they showed 76 and 77 shields with only the direction and mileage of 76.  (They were replaced in 2011 with ones reading 76 only, and generally 0.6 miles lower than the ones they replaced. And the 76/77 combo ones extended onto the 76-only Kenmore leg.  What a mess.)

Big John

^^ Does the sign read as it is supposed to at night, meaning do the 6 and the blueout reflect correctly?

roadman65

https://goo.gl/maps/58WKB13GRqJB1WGf7
This sign here I must say is odd. APL for the pull through with I-74/465 East it's own standard exit guide.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

jakeroot

Quote from: roadman65 on May 26, 2022, 08:01:12 AM
This sign here I must say is odd. APL for the pull through with I-74/465 East it's own standard exit guide.

I've always thought this made more sense for situations like this. Although I would have preferred standard APL arrows for the EAST exit sign, this is still quite good.

The way I see it, there really isn't much of a reason to have APLs all be a giant, single panel. This type of approach seems just as effective, in terms of both cost, as well as comprehension.

PurdueBill

Quote from: jakeroot on May 26, 2022, 11:26:32 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on May 26, 2022, 08:01:12 AM

I've always thought this made more sense for situations like this. Although I would have preferred standard APL arrows for the EAST exit sign, this is still quite good.

The way I see it, there really isn't much of a reason to have APLs all be a giant, single panel. This type of approach seems just as effective, in terms of both cost, as well as comprehension.

The killer is the prohibition on showing downstream splits on an APL, so this seems to be the next best thing with the exit ramp splitting very soon after the initial exit.
The very large direction text, lines between directions and shields, and the amount of space between the directions/lines/shields are kinda weird.  It seems like the directions could be above the shields without the lines.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.